MLS 2020 Season

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Watched most of Los Angeles-LA Galaxy last night.

Thought Cristian Pavon had a tremendous game. Surprised he's in that league and hasn't come to europe yet as I remember him starting for Argentina in last world cup and looking o.k. On loan from Boca Juniors.
This was the first time that I thought he had a performance that warranted the hype. Before that, he had flashes of brilliance but was mostly quiet. Hopefully this is the start of a good run of performances for him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

TFC get a younger left back to compete against Morrow. Maybe this means that Laryea's getting pushed higher up?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

TFC get a younger left back to compete against Morrow. Maybe this means that Laryea's getting pushed higher up?
Seems he played LB and RB last season. Could be depth for both sides.

I haven’t been able to watch the last few matches due to the time zone difference and being busy. How have they been playing?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Seems he played LB and RB last season. Could be depth for both sides.

I haven’t been able to watch the last few matches due to the time zone difference and being busy. How have they been playing?
They've struggled to assert themselves in matches. They have the quality to create chances and threaten the opposition, but it's mostly down to individual quality. Jozy has been poor up front for the most part, and we lack players who'll make runs past the defensive line. As a result, both Vancouver and Montreal would have an easier time shutting us down. Defensively, we've been poor at set pieces with almost all of our recent goals conceded via free/corner kicks.

Our team struggles to be an attacking threat without players like Endoh and Akinola in the wider areas. We've had Pozuelo and Piatti interchanging on the right wing whilst Osorio played on the left in the majority of the matches. This has left us with just Jozy as a threat in the box whilst the rest of the players wait for the ball to come to their feet. I'm surprised that Endoh, Gallardo and Shaffelburg aren't getting more minutes given that they offer that directness out wide. Laryea was not too bad as a left winger in our last match, but even he struggled without players to aim for in the box.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet.

Great stuff by Donovan.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet.

Great stuff by Donovan.
San Diego were also involved in a similar incident last week. Javier Ontiveros of LA Galaxy II said a racial slur to Elijah Martin of San Diego. Not everyone caught on to it, so the match continued until the end. The final result was 1-1, but after learning about the incident, San Diego forfeited the match in support of Elijah Martin. Their reason was that they didn't want to be a contribute to a match where a racial slur was thrown out without any consequence.

Ontiveros received a 5-match suspension from the USL soon after. For their match against Phoenix Rising, San Diego came together with their opponents to plan on a stoppage at the 71st minute. They would then come together and hold up a banner to encourage people to speak up and act against incidents like last week (and worse). For a Rising player to then throw a homophobic slur and the head coach to then dismiss it as not a big deal is a big kick in the nuts to San Diego.

poleglass red

any of you see the young 17 year old sub for NYRB goal against TFC with his left peg, such a sweet strike by Caden Clark, I believe that's 2 in 2 for him. With the red bull connection I wonder how long, if he keeps this type of play up, before connections to RB Leipzig start to appear. Good to see young talent coming through in mls.

limerickcitykid

any of you see the young 17 year old sub for NYRB goal against TFC with his left peg, such a sweet strike by Caden Clark, I believe that's 2 in 2 for him. With the red bull connection I wonder how long, if he keeps this type of play up, before connections to RB Leipzig start to appear. Good to see young talent coming through in mls.
Reports are it’s already agreed in his contract he’ll go to Leipzig. It’s the whole reason he joined NYRB.

limerickcitykid

makes sense, I just wasn't sure how it was going to work as there is that other RB team in Austria as well.
I think the plan for the Americans is to use NYRB like Salzburg, they’re probably a similar enough level. And since Americans can’t come to Europe until 18 they’ll already be playing senior for NYRB and may as well do their time there and just skip over Salzburg and straight to Leipzig like Tyler Adams.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he also heads out to Leipzig eventually. He has shown great technique so far, and Leipzig would refine his game even further.

EDIT: Caden Clark's goal for those who haven't seen it:

Last edited:

poleglass red

just read report from New Eng v Montreal game, was a bit shocked to see Alexander Buttner plays for New Eng, now there's a blast form the past. Did not know he'd made it over to mls.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I've been watching some games. Yesterday seattle vs san jose was interesting tactical clash. And jackson yueill seems like a nice prospect

Chicharito_

How good is Diego Rossi?

Watched him a couple of times this season and on both occasions he's been incredible. Anyone followed him more closely?

forevrared

To the Caf ATL UTD contingent: how are we feeling about Heinze?

In the context of my Manchester United fandom which predates MLS as a whole, I still hate him forever for trying to leave to join Liverpool. As a manager, he seems like a return to what made us successful in MLS, even if he’s not an exact Tata clone. I have high hopes, but the squad definitely needs work.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
To the Caf ATL UTD contingent: how are we feeling about Heinze?

In the context of my Manchester United fandom which predates MLS as a whole, I still hate him forever for trying to leave to join Liverpool. As a manager, he seems like a return to what made us successful in MLS, even if he’s not an exact Tata clone. I have high hopes, but the squad definitely needs work.
Will watch his progress. Do well there and I think we will see him in Europe next