MLS 2020 Season

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
New MLS season kicked off earlier today.

Colorado beating DC in the first match.

TFC up against SJ in 30 minutes. Bradley out injured still for 1-2 months after surgery and new signing Piatti also sidelined.

FéNaSeleção

I’m happy the new season has started, yet every year I fall into the same trap: watch a ton at the beginning yet completely abandon it by the time playoffs happen.

Glad to see Chicharito playing LA, should bring some star power to the league.

Lastly, I’m afraid the league is growing too quickly. Got 26 teams now and the attendance figures vary greatly - Atlanta at 52k per match yet Chicago has seen a large decline to 12k.

Philadelphia vs LAFC has to be one of the greatest MLS games I've ever watched. Amazing advertisement for the league.

Still depressed from Josef Martinez's ACL injury, what a loss for Atlanta and the league

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Got season tickets to Chicago Fire this year now that they will be playing at Soldier Field. Not expecting a lot, but could hardly go wrong with seats that are 3rd row from the field at midfield for $25 a game :)

MarylandMUFan

Got season tickets to Chicago Fire this year now that they will be playing at Soldier Field. Not expecting a lot, but could hardly go wrong with seats that are 3rd row from the field at midfield for $25 a game :)
Wow, that's great. I want to go to more games here in D.C. but it's too damned expensive. Around $75 for any seat that's under cover and at least $25 to park about a half mile away at Nats park. By the time I am done, it's easily a $250 outing for just 2 people.

poleglass red

Wow, that's great. I want to go to more games here in D.C. but it's too damned expensive. Around $75 for any seat that's under cover and at least $25 to park about a half mile away at Nats park. By the time I am done, it's easily a $250 outing for just 2 people.
try stubhub, you'll get around $20 tic for DC games, even with added fees to be paid, still come under a lot less than you're paying

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Curious to check if Erik Sorga can make an impact. Quite surprised with his move but I guess it's better than moving to a relegating battle side at Serie A or Ligue 1.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don't know how Cincy got that one wrong. Was someone trying to play a joke?

On a side note, it'd be cool to see Jaap Stam in MLS. His Reading side was fun to watch. Cincy will become a more entertaining team in MLS for sure.

On a side note, it'd be cool to see Jaap Stam in MLS. His Reading side was fun to watch. Cincy will become a more entertaining team in MLS for sure.
He wasn't always great in Eredivisie and play declined after that first year at Reading but I'm excited to see what he can do. Cincinnati messed up everything possible in their first season, and even with the short term contracts common in MLS their squad still needs a lot of work. They added a lot of mid-uper tier talent in attack this year in Kubo, Regattin and Locadia but their defense and midfield still looked pretty terrible in those first two games. They'll be entertaining both ways I guess, that's become the norm for quite a few MLS sides recently. Their new GM looks like a good talent identifier but the whole Jans debacle and first season mess will leave its mark.

poleglass red

Interesting choice. Liked his spell at Reading in the first season, his team played well and he said all the right things as a manager. Went downhill the next season. The Feyenoord spell wasn't good, but in fairness to him, he didn't get any of the players he really wanted in the transfer window, and he lost key players through injuries. The thing we haven't seen him do is bounce back though at his clubs once the tide has turned, be that from getting sacked or walking away. Cincinnati will be a tough club to manage in that they don't have a top team, they will lose games esp at the start. Hopefully he can see the challenge through but history suggests he won't. Maybe with more experience now and less expectation/pressure we will see a better version of him. His experience in the Ajax system is a great background for playing good football with what you have. I hope he does well, I like his persona and I loved him as a player.I think at this stage Cincinnati need to let him implement his plan, and give him time to do it.Interesting to see Gerard Nijkamp as general manager, of course he worked with stam previously at PEC Zwolle.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Some terrible defensive mismatches on both ends; both defences can't handle the pace on offer from the attacking players.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Akinola looks a decent young prospect. Nice run for his second goal and took it really well. Good finish.

Pozuelo is too good for the MLS. Should still be in Europe somewhere.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Akinola looks a decent young prospect. Nice run for his second goal and took it really well. Good finish.
He's developed and refined his game a ton, recently. Before this, he was incredibly raw; he had all of the physical attributes, and he showed good ability, but his terrible decision-making and immaturity held him back. Now, he knows how to use his strength and size to his advantage, and his movement is much better than before.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He's developed and refined his game a ton, recently. Before this, he was incredibly raw; he had all of the physical attributes, and he showed good ability, but his terrible decision-making and immaturity held him back. Now, he knows how to use his strength and size to his advantage, and his movement is much better than before.
Yeah, looks a good young player. Should certainly do well in the MLS with those attributes. Never watched him before until tonight.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'

Pozuelo is too good for the MLS. Should still be in Europe somewhere.
Well hes on 4 mill USD a year at TFC.

Wonder how much a similar player is on playing in one of the big 5 in Europe, I would say he could get some games at a bottom half club in one of the big 5.

I would say someone like Brighton would rather have him than Gross, but maybe im wrong.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Question on fouls. On Akinola's third goal he literally blindsided the defender who had changed his direction towards the ball whereas Akinola was making no attempt at the ball or to change direction towards making a play. It looked a clear takeout the opponent foul. It wasn't a situation of two players fighting for possession from what I saw. The defender had inside track and began his move. Akinola was a yard to the opposite side and literally barged into the opponent.

Kearnkoff69

Fascinating tournament so far. Lots of teams that are traditionally great that have been outplayed (Atlanta and Seattle spring to mind), and some teams that came in with lower expectations have really lit the place up. Some of these scorelines have been insane - too many 95th minute (or later) goals to count. It's never going to be the best football product on the pitch, but the MLS does usually deliver the weirdness in a lovable way, and this tournament has encapsulated that.

poleglass red

Question on fouls. On Akinola's third goal he literally blindsided the defender who had changed his direction towards the ball whereas Akinola was making no attempt at the ball or to change direction towards making a play. It looked a clear takeout the opponent foul. It wasn't a situation of two players fighting for possession from what I saw. The defender had inside track and began his move. Akinola was a yard to the opposite side and literally barged into the opponent.
shoulder charge, nothing wrong with it, defender not strong enough. You can tell by the defenders reaction when he gets up he says nothing to the referee, the goalkeeper makes a half hearted appeal but defender says nothing, he knows he messed up. Good to see the ref let that go, a shoulder charge is allowed, it's just not seen as much anymore as the game has become less physical.

poleglass red

Well hes on 4 mill USD a year at TFC.

Wonder how much a similar player is on playing in one of the big 5 in Europe, I would say he could get some games at a bottom half club in one of the big 5.

I would say someone like Brighton would rather have him than Gross, but maybe im wrong.
remember Pozuelo played for Swansea in PL back in 2013-2014 season, he didn't go great, not bad, but nothing special, Swansea came 12th in premier league that season.Maybe he was too young, maybe should have stayed another few seasons, there is an adjustment needed to the speed and intensity of the pl

United Junkie

His stint at Feyenoord was painfull too watch. He was totally out of depth. His buys were awful except for maybe Sinesi. Many including me always thought he was the right fit for Feyenoord but he proved us otherwise. He really aged horribly it seemed after every match Feyenoord did a stinker. Thank god for Dick Advocaat for jumping in or else Feyenoord wouldn't even be in the top 6.

steffyr2

Watching Orlando tonight and Nani just scored the 1st goal. His first touch is still beautiful, he is still playing on the left. Seems slow, or maybe everyone is fast. Who knows.
Still only 33 years old. We could have used him over the last years.

Asger

Watching Orlando tonight and Nani just scored the 1st goal. His first touch is still beautiful, he is still playing on the left. Seems slow, or maybe everyone is fast. Who knows.
Still only 33 years old. We could have used him over the last years.
The last good winger we had -Di Maria

Yagami

Good post resistant
Anyone have an opinion on Latif Blessing? I've seen him a few times and think he is a good player myself.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Anyone have an opinion on Latif Blessing? I've seen him a few times and think he is a good player myself.
He's not a bad midfielder, but for the technique that he has, he's limited in how he uses it. His workrate makes him a good B2B midfielder where he can facilitate more creative players, but on the ball himself, he doesn't offer too much in general other than the ability to carry it forward, and even so, he's not that much of a precise dribbler.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watched most of Los Angeles-LA Galaxy last night.

Thought Cristian Pavon had a tremendous game. Surprised he's in that league and hasn't come to europe yet as I remember him starting for Argentina in last world cup and looking o.k. On loan from Boca Juniors.