MLS 2021

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No clue who's favored, figure FC Dallas will do alright and flop at the end per usual.

Also found this article interesting. Miami management should ring up City on how to properly pay under the table without getting caught.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/inter-m...-deal-for-matuidi-defied-league-salary-budget
MLS investigates Inter Miami over Matuidi transfer
--According to MLS's roster rules for 2020, this meant that Matuidi's salary was at least $612,500 but no more than $1,612,500. A source with knowledge of the situation indicated that the league is investigating whether Matuidi was paid additional money, with the knowledge of Inter Miami, in addition to what is specified in the player's contract.

"There are some concerns that Matuidi received additional dollars," the source said.--

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

(I really am happy Charlotte has an MLS team now)
I am sorta happy. I wanted Raleigh to get it. We were building the stadium and all but I'm fine with driving a few hours for games. Meanwhile I'll enjoy NCFC games whenever I can.

I was surprised to see Blaise Matuidi plays for Inter Miami.

Carolina Red

Staff
I am sorta happy. I wanted Raleigh to get it. We were building the stadium and all but I'm fine with driving a few hours for games. Meanwhile I'll enjoy NCFC games whenever I can.

I was surprised to see Blaise Matuidi plays for Inter Miami.
I am now in stuck as to who to watch / pull for in MLS.

I’ve wanted an MLS team in Charlotte as long as I can remember, but I’ve come to like Atlanta United.

shamans

I am now in stuck as to who to watch / pull for in MLS.

I’ve wanted an MLS team in Charlotte as long as I can remember, but I’ve come to like Atlanta United.
DC United has been my team. Atlanta seems to have a fun following. Charlotte's will be pretty vibrant I reckon.

I'm watching NCFC vs Fort Lauderdale next week and Phil Neville's son should be playing so that's something.

Carolina Red

Staff
DC United has been my team. Atlanta seems to have a fun following. Charlotte's will be pretty vibrant I reckon.

I'm watching NCFC vs Fort Lauderdale next week and Phil Neville's son should be playing so that's something.
Nice! Like Matuidi at Miami. I imagine Inter Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will be a popular destination for older & younger players coming from Europe & South America to the States. I mean, if I was gonna come play in the US, I’d much rather head to Miami than Minnesota or Cincinnati.

shamans

Nice! Like Matuidi at Miami. I imagine Inter Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will be a popular destination for older & younger players coming from Europe & South America to the States. I mean, if I was gonna come play in the US, I’d much rather head to Miami than Minnesota or Cincinnati.
Yeah pretty sure if I was a pro soccer player in the states I'd move to lower league Arg/Brazil/Mex teams instead!

United in sin

This thread is dead! Is anyone watching? Inter Miami beat Chicago fire 3-2 tonight. Becks was fired up on the touchline, all animated and throwing expletives about after Higuain missed two great chances. Neville was equally energetic on the bench. Inter played well and managed not to embarrass themselves in the end after missing several gilt-edged chances

JB7

I watch all the Orlando games but don't tend to catch much else in MLS this year. We were fantastic for a few months but have dropped off of late and are currently 1-0 down to Nashville and struggling.

Shame the thread is dead because it's a really great league to watch.

United in sin

I watch all the Orlando games but don't tend to catch much else in MLS this year. We were fantastic for a few months but have dropped off of late and are currently 1-0 down to Nashville and struggling.

Shame the thread is dead because it's a really great league to watch.
It was more active in previous seasons. I just switched to the Orlando game and they scored.

Brilliant header by Carlos

JB7

It was more active in previous seasons. I just switched to the Orlando game and they scored
Yeah, hopefully we can kick on now. Big player Antonio Carlos, one of the best CBs in the league and such a threat at set pieces too.

Maybe switch over a few more times :D

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This thread is dead! Is anyone watching? Inter Miami beat Chicago fire 3-2 tonight. Becks was fired up on the touchline, all animated and throwing expletives about after Higuain missed two great chances. Neville was equally energetic on the bench. Inter played well and managed not to embarrass themselves in the end after missing several gilt-edged chances
Given how bad Toronto FC has been this season, I don't feel motivated enough to watch other MLS matches. I do keep track of it overall, though, so I have a decent idea of what's going on in MLS.

United in sin

Yeah, hopefully we can kick on now. Big player Antonio Carlos, one of the best CBs in the league and such a threat at set pieces too.

Maybe switch over a few more times :D
As an Atlanta united supporter it would be against everything I believe in to help the cause haha. I'll be at the game against you guys on September 10

Given how bad Toronto FC has been this season, I don't feel motivated enough to watch other MLS matches. I do keep track of it overall, though, so I have a decent idea of what's going on in MLS.
I thought there were quite a few Toronto fans on here. Explains the absence!

JB7

As an Atlanta united supporter it would be against everything I believe in to help the cause haha. I'll be at the game against you guys on September 10
I'm in the UK so only usually get to a couple of games a year but obviously Covid has put paid to that last year and this annoyingly. Much as I obviously dislike Atlanta, your stadium is one on the bucket list, it looks insane.

Kearnkoff69

It's been a rough season for me. Despite ostensibly strengthening the squad in the offseason, the Crew have turned into a pile of deer turds this year. Not only do we lose a lot, we are just garbage to watch. It reminds me of the Van Gaal static zombie football years, but played by MLS players - not elite level athletes. I did catch some of the Miami game though - pure MLS chaos.

Achilles McCool

I'm in the UK so only usually get to a couple of games a year but obviously Covid has put paid to that last year and this annoyingly. Much as I obviously dislike Atlanta, your stadium is one on the bucket list, it looks insane.
Just curious, but how’d you become an OC fan?

JB7

Just curious, but how’d you become an OC fan?
Same reason I’d imagine most UK folks who follow OC do, that was where I holidayed most years growing up. Obviously for years they didn’t have a football team but I was really excited with they started out in 2010 & I caught a couple games in 2011. Same again in 2012, think I missed 2013 but got to another one in 2014. I loved the team Heath put together in the USL, pace all over the pitch attacking from all angles, they were just great fun to watch. And then obviously we entered MLS the following year and it became somewhat of an obsession from there really and I hardly ever miss a match nowadays on tv and try to get to a couple a year in person too. Annoyingly since we’ve brought Oscar in and significantly improved I’ve not been able to see them play thanks for Covid.

spottieottiedopaliscious

Great win for Atlanta United! Wasn’t the best but a hard fought match that we did well to hold it together. Valentino has done well in his time in charge. He did a great job of regrouping the team and ending it with 3 hard fought wins.

It was sneaky hot and humid tonight, but glad the roof was open.

Achilles McCool

Same reason I’d imagine most UK folks who follow OC do, that was where I holidayed most years growing up. Obviously for years they didn’t have a football team but I was really excited with they started out in 2010 & I caught a couple games in 2011. Same again in 2012, think I missed 2013 but got to another one in 2014. I loved the team Heath put together in the USL, pace all over the pitch attacking from all angles, they were just great fun to watch. And then obviously we entered MLS the following year and it became somewhat of an obsession from there really and I hardly ever miss a match nowadays on tv and try to get to a couple a year in person too. Annoyingly since we’ve brought Oscar in and significantly improved I’ve not been able to see them play thanks for Covid.
Wow! Interesting and detailed answer that I wasn’t expecting! Thanks for the response.
The reason I was asking was because I’m a native Floridian and have followed OC since it’s inception and it’s great to hear the interest from others like you!

Vanrouge

To be honest, I'd forgotten this thread existed. My team (the Caps) are a strange beast this season. Over thirty road games in a row, a big turnover of players since last season, a struggle for an identity, and yet I can see something beginning to gel... and not just because we finally won a road game tonight. Some decent central midfielders, the addition of Ryan Gauld, our wingers (Caicedo and Dajome), genuine glimpses of team unity and spirit, and there's more than a little light at the end of this long tunnel. Finally they're in BC again on Saturday, so that will feel special.

United in sin

It's insanely good. You should definitely visit

Ace

Rapids are having a cracking start to their season despite being down several key players. 5 points off first place in the west with two games in hand. Heading to the stadium on Saturday for the Rocky Mountain Cup rivalry match against Real Salt Lake. Too bad their matches are always blacked out locally on ESPN.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I thought there were quite a few Toronto fans on here. Explains the absence!
There's more than meets the eye, that's for sure. I'd guess that they're the most popular MLS team on the Caf.

Great win for Atlanta United! Wasn’t the best but a hard fought match that we did well to hold it together. Valentino has done well in his time in charge. He did a great job of regrouping the team and ending it with 3 hard fought wins.

It was sneaky hot and humid tonight, but glad the roof was open.
As good as Atlanta United looked on the attack(especially Bello and the front 3), they're still quite open in the midfield and the back. TFC, though, are in a terrible slump at the moment, and they're playing with 0 motivation at the moment. The injuries haven't helped TFC, of course, but we still have the quality to at least get a point. At this point, TFC's season is over.

United in sin

There's more than meets the eye, that's for sure. I'd guess that they're the most popular MLS team on the Caf.

As good as Atlanta United looked on the attack(especially Bello and the front 3), they're still quite open in the midfield and the back. TFC, though, are in a terrible slump at the moment, and they're playing with 0 motivation at the moment. The injuries haven't helped TFC, of course, but we still have the quality to at least get a point. At this point, TFC's season is over.
They're quite a few Atlanta united supporters on here that I've engaged with as well. I agree with your points, our midfield is a little loose, but I'm glad we're back to our original attacking formation with three at the back.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They're quite a few Atlanta united supporters on here that I've engaged with as well. I agree with your points, our midfield is a little loose, but I'm glad we're back to our original attacking formation with three at the back.
Yeah, it's between TFC and Atlanta United on here, for sure.

That back 3 really helps Atlanta, and they're most suited to that setup. I'm hoping that TFC get back to that as I can't see anything else working as well for us. A 3-4-3 would really help us.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

The increase in spending on transfers is crazy when put this way. I guess the owners are more willing to invest in younger foreign talents and then sell either sell them on for bigger fees or attract more viewers with their quality on show.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

A seizure at the age of 4 sounds scary. I'm glad that she's okay, and whilst Mavinga disclosing the reason for his absence is great, I'm surprised that he chose to do so given how personal this is.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Atlanta game replay from Wednesday….fecking REPLAY is blacked out in my area because it was not a sell out. I understand live, but the replay!!! Money grabbing bastards.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So...uh...this is what FC Dallas has set up:

Is it just me, or is this a classless act from the FC Dallas front office? I don't feel good about this.

chiz2kul

This is the Atlanta United I know!!
Love watching them play especially Josef Martinez. Wonder if he'll have similar success in a bigger league. He's quick, smart, great positional awareness and has a fantastic goal scoring record. Honestly surprised he's still in MLS (no offense)

spottieottiedopaliscious

Love watching them play especially Josef Martinez. Wonder if he'll have similar success in a bigger league. He's quick, smart, great positional awareness and has a fantastic goal scoring record. Honestly surprised he's still in MLS (no offense)
None taken. I think he found his level in the MLS. He had a go in Italy at Torino that was pretty unsuccessful. I’m glad to have him here and hopefully for a couple of more years.

Josef, Barco and Araújo are forming a really great attack. Would love to get a full season with these three and our current coaching staff. It’s been night and day compared to how we started off.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Atlanta has a run of games that could see them turn this season completely around. Would love to see them heat up at the right time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Atlanta has a run of games that could see them turn this season completely around. Would love to see them heat up at the right time.
How have then been this year? Changes in work/life means I have seen exactly zero MLS games this year.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Playoffs start this weekend. I think Atlanta can can beat NYC, but running the entire playoffs on the road is not going to be easy. Atlanta vs NYC is 3pm Sunday. Playoffs are single elimination. Win or season is over.

Ace

Historic season for the Rapids who finished first in the west! Unfortunately, I'll be traveling for their opening playoff match which will be held on Thanksgiving day.