MLS club Atlanta sack Heinze after 13 games

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I never took to that guy. He had a few good games but I hated seeing his name on the teamsheet. He always seemed like a liability at the back.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has them higher up the table than Phil Neville though who's rock bottom yet he's still in his job.
Bit of context needed here...Miami is a brand new team in its first season, Atlanta are top dogs in MLS...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57883100

I wonder if the stupid prick will try manage Liverpool now...

Sorry I'm bitter. He was one of my favourite players but after trying to force his way to the scousers, I had to burn his shirt.

I hold a grudge to this day :lol:
I never fully understood the hate. He lost his starting spot to Evra and wanted to move on. But because he wanted to go to another top club (yes rivals and all that) he became a villain.

Anyway, still like him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Along with mismanaging Josef Martinez and making him unhappy as well as the overall poor record, here's another reason for Heinze's sacking:

This may have been the straw that broke the camel's back in this instance.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I never thought he was good enough, but I always appreciated him as a fighter. And didn't mind him trying to make his own choices on where he went post-United. Hope he does well for himself. It's only the MLS. Look at Vieira. Now managing in the Prem.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I had a certain fondness for him even after the whole Liverpool kerfuffle, a choice of which he has gone on to openly regret.

Gabriel Heinze has expressed regret for the acrimonious manner of his departure from Manchester United, blaming his "impulsive and strong-willed personality" for the dispute that ended his working relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson.
Heinze, now a part of the Marseille defence and preparing to face his former club in the Champions League, said it had been a mistake to respond to losing his place to Patrice Evra in 2007 by trying to force a transfer to Liverpool and become the first player since Phil Chisnall 43 years earlier to be sold from Old Trafford to Anfield.

The Argentinian has never before spoken publicly about the row but as he prepared to play against United for the first time since leaving Old Trafford three and a half years ago, he made it clear there is no lingering bad feeling on his part.

"I don't have many regrets from my career as a footballer, but that episode with Ferguson [has] to be one of them," he said. "I'm impulsive and strong-willed and this has got me into trouble at times, which was the case when I left United."

The dispute eventually went to a Premier League tribunal, with Heinze's legal team arguing United had agreed in writing to sell him to any club that matched their valuation of £6.8m.

Liverpool, then managed by Rafael Benítez, had submitted such a bid and Heinze took the extraordinary step of employing the Anfield club's solicitor, Hill Dickinson, to represent him. The tribunal ruled in United's favour, with Heinze never playing for Ferguson again before moving to Real Madrid the following month. He spent two years at the Bernabéu before joining Marseille.

"I spent three years in Manchester and had some great moments and I regret it [leaving the club] a lot. There are a lot of things I regret from the last months but I am a strong personality, Sir Alex is a strong personality. I took the decision and, looking back, I regret it because it meant leaving a great club and their supporters. I was aware of the rivalry [with Liverpool], I knew the risk of going from Manchester to Liverpool and what it means. I hope it doesn't tarnish the way they [the supporters] see me and they will remember the three years I had in the team."

That contrition may come as a surprise given the way the bad feeling appeared to have continued since he left Manchester. Ferguson once claimed that Madrid had signed the Argentinian only because he was close friends with Cristiano Ronaldo and "the endgame was to get Ronaldo", a withering assessment of the left-back's ability that prompted Heinze to accuse his former manager of coming up with "a work of absolute fiction".

Yet Ferguson also made it clear he did not hold a grudge. "I thought he had a bad agent who engineered the situation and tried to trick [the chief executive] David Gill. I have no issues with Gabby. He was a fantastic player for us, a warrior. He just took bad advice. From day one after we signed him his agent was trying to get him another move and, of course, that's how they [agents] make their money these days."

Heinze, 32, added he met Ferguson when in Qatar in November for Argentina's friendly against Brazil. "I was really pleased to see him. On reflection, it is easy to see Ferguson was a major influence on my career, in a positive way. I'm sorry that we fell out in the final days because I still have so much respect for him."

jesperjaap

Shit player seems out of bitterness to me. I thougth he was quality, he is from South America so dont udnerstand the anger at supposed lack of loyalty, he was second choice after all because of Evra. Similar with Tevez, we didnt pay the loan fee to make it permanent, again he has no ties to the club or English football.
For me the both gave there all for the club while here, were real fighters with quality as well. Would much rather that than players that kiss the badge and speak so highly of the club.....but dont perform, Heinze performed

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Has them higher up the table than Phil Neville though who's rock bottom yet he's still in his job.
What a strange fecking team they have.

Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Shawcross lining up alongside Higuain and Blaise Matuidi. :lol:

spottieottiedopaliscious

What a shit show our club has become over the past two seasons. Seems like every decision we have made over 2 1/2 years has been absolutely wrong. Front office needs to be cleaned out.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Absolute no chance was he a shit player, when he was at United he was one of the world's best left-backs, and only took another world-class left-back in Evra to dislodge him
He was never world class, not in a million years. He had tons of gusto but he was defensively shaky as feck. His blood and thunder attitude won fans over but he was low on quality, his positioning was horrible and he was incredibly rash. Bang average at best and I was delighted when we got rid.

forevrared

We got the thundercnut who tried to join Liverpool version of Heinze, unfortunately. Awful manager who tried to double down by freezing out the face of our team. The players union filed a grievance against him relating to his overtraining, as well. I’d be kind if I said there was a single thing he did well in his time as coach.

Dan-Utd

Absolute no chance was he a shit player, when he was at United he was one of the world's best left-backs, and only took another world-class left-back in Evra to dislodge him
I was thinking the same thing, he turned out his fair share of good performances when he was with us.

lsd

The Oracle
He was trending on twitted before the last match and it was not good. The Atlanta fans really hated him and the way he was managing the team. Playing too defensive and leaving out the fan's favourite.

Nick7

Bit of context needed here...Miami is a brand new team in its first season, Atlanta are top dogs in MLS...
This is Miami’s second season. Atlanta won the MLS Cup in their second season.

BarstoolProphet

He was our POTS in his first season if I'm not mistaken. Loved his attitude on the pitch even if he was limited. Felt he was really poor after his ACL though, so wasn't against him being sold - just not to Liverpool, which was an unforgivable move from him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Always saw him as a centre back playing as a fullback. He was good though, not great.

Wasn’t there a weird rumour he would join Crystal Palace who would then quickly sell him to Liverpool :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I never fully understood the hate. He lost his starting spot to Evra and wanted to move on. But because he wanted to go to another top club (yes rivals and all that) he became a villain.

Anyway, still like him.
I hated him because he was my favourite player and then wanted to join Liverpool. I used to take football waaaaay too seriously then :lol:

Unfortunately my hatred for him stayed after all these years (because I felt so betrayed) but the below post just changed my mind::

I had a certain fondness for him even after the whole Liverpool kerfuffle, a choice of which he has gone on to openly regret.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I loved the way he always played right on the edge. Turned out to be a shitbag :lol:
Helped show the boys what a tough man is meant to be like and was an excellent player for the team. Just didn't understand inter or intra club politics to his demise :lol: . Still love the geezer thou, was an excellent servant for the ckyb

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I remember one commentator said "if there is a tank coming to old trafford, heinze will still tackle it for Manchester united" or something like that. Loved him to bits, and who can forget that debut free kick goal. I didn't believe the liverpool thing until he gave the statement. I even hated evra for displacing him for few months. Boy was i wrong. Was a Fantastic player gabby.

Bondi77

Old school defender....thou shalt not pass with legs intact.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Shit player seems out of bitterness to me. I thougth he was quality, he is from South America so dont udnerstand the anger at supposed lack of loyalty, he was second choice after all because of Evra. Similar with Tevez, we didnt pay the loan fee to make it permanent, again he has no ties to the club or English football.
For me the both gave there all for the club while here, were real fighters with quality as well. Would much rather that than players that kiss the badge and speak so highly of the club.....but dont perform, Heinze performed
Agree with that completely. Having said that as much as I appreciatd them while they played for us, the manner of their departures mean they can go do one.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Heinze was our signing. Real Madrid signed him from us.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-spain-real-heinze-idUKL2288257320070822

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Heinze was a mercenary. All he cared about was money. SAF was pissed off with him constantly knocking at his door asking for a pay rise.

Having said that he was a decent player.

Champ

This is Miami’s second season. Atlanta won the MLS Cup in their second season.
I stand corrected about Miami, but Atlanta were not a new team when Integrated into the MLS, so it's very different to Miami's situation.

GueRed

Shit player and seems a shit manager too.
He was our player of the season 2004/05

A proper defender's defender. eg. crap going forward but formidable marker and difficult to beat.

Definitely not shit.

JB7

Errr it's their second season and they have the highest wage bill in the league. There is no excuse whatsoever for being where they are but as an Orlando fan I'm thoroughly enjoying Fort Lauderdale FCs dismal failure so long may it continue.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I loved his all action style, which is why he was my favourite player when he played for us but I remember that he always looked nervous when he had the ball at his feet.

Despite his attempt to move to the scousers, I hope he can get his managerial career off the ground.

Champ

Errr it's their second season and they have the highest wage bill in the league. There is no excuse whatsoever for being where they are but as an Orlando fan I'm thoroughly enjoying Fort Lauderdale FCs dismal failure so long may it continue.
Yeah i stand corrected about the first season, My mates an Orlando fan, he's absolutely loving it too!!

As for the wage bill - how else are they going to get players to play for them? A team with no history and no real chance against established teams/franchises, they had to pay top dollar for Higuan and Pizarro, they take up most of the wage bill!!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was never world class, not in a million years. He had tons of gusto but he was defensively shaky as feck. His blood and thunder attitude won fans over but he was low on quality, his positioning was horrible and he was incredibly rash. Bang average at best and I was delighted when we got rid.
Yeah, he had a great season or so but i would never have classified him as one of the best LB's. Great attitude though and as you say, that attitude of leaving it all out on the field won just about everyone over! Had a major drop in form too though, iirc.