MLS club Atlanta sack Heinze after 13 games

Devil81

Absolute no chance was he a shit player, when he was at United he was one of the world's best left-backs, and only took another world-class left-back in Evra to dislodge him
He was average, he had one good season and the reality is he couldn't have been that good because Sir Alex was looking to replace him the following season.

In truth he was a centre back that was shifted to full back because he was too small and average in that position, the fact he was the slowest player I can ever remember playing for United didn't help him either.

Handré1990

He was never world class, not in a million years. He had tons of gusto but he was defensively shaky as feck. His blood and thunder attitude won fans over but he was low on quality, his positioning was horrible and he was incredibly rash. Bang average at best and I was delighted when we got rid.
This is it for me. A fighter who l thought was lacking in several departments when compared to the real top quality players in his position. Evra was so much better, and coupled with his antics around his transfer I soon forgot about Heinze.

Blood Mage

Good player, I had a soft spot for his aggressive style of play. But yeah nobody tries to leave us for the scouse, so feck him.

Revan

Assumptionman
A poor man's Rojo
He was way better than Rojo.

People forget that he was our player of the season (albeit in a bad season), and then had a very bad injury. Still did quite well on his third season here, despite losing his place to Evra in the second half of the season (but then Evra became arguably the best LB in the world, so no shame on that).

GlasgowCeltic

Thought he improved on the occasions I saw him as a CB at Madrid but as a fullback at Utd he was quite shite, just a slow Bissaka diving in everywhere, probably better on the ball though

JB7

Yeah i stand corrected about the first season, My mates an Orlando fan, he's absolutely loving it too!!

As for the wage bill - how else are they going to get players to play for them? A team with no history and no real chance against established teams/franchises, they had to pay top dollar for Higuan and Pizarro, they take up most of the wage bill!!
I don’t think you need to look too far past “Miami” and “David Beckham” to be honest, couple that with the budget available and they should be doing a lot better. The problem is they’ve fallen into the trap of signing the wrong type of players who are there for the wrong reasons, a lot of MLS clubs do it in their early days and they have exacerbated this by appointing two managers with no MLS experience. They did bring in Chris Henderson as sporting director earlier in the year so I think he’ll make a difference over time with regards to improving the player recruitment but it takes time.

Atlanta for example brought in the right manager & players from the start and were MLS Cup winners in season two. It is doable with a new club but everything has to be done right but I think they fell into many of the common traps for expansion teams.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don’t think you need to look too far past “Miami” and “David Beckham” to be honest, couple that with the budget available and they should be doing a lot better. The problem is they’ve fallen into the trap of signing the wrong type of players who are there for the wrong reasons, a lot of MLS clubs do it in their early days and they have exacerbated this by appointing two managers with no MLS experience. They did bring in Chris Henderson as sporting director earlier in the year so I think he’ll make a difference over time with regards to improving the player recruitment but it takes time.

Atlanta for example brought in the right manager & players from the start and were MLS Cup winners in season two. It is doable with a new club but everything has to be done right but I think they fell into many of the common traps for expansion teams.
They should sign Bosingwa. I'll never forget how happy he looked after the game where QPR's relegation was confirmed :lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He was a quality player and a fans favourite. Though his exit left a bitter taste in the mouths of many.

Also his hair is absolutely horrendous these days. What kind of man has hair like that?

mu4c_20le

He was good for a spell like Rojo, but never world class. He was always very rash in the box and it cost us many times. I think his playing style gives people a very biased memory.

lsd

The Oracle
He was way better than Rojo.

People forget that he was our player of the season (albeit in a bad season), and then had a very bad injury. Still did quite well on his third season here, despite losing his place to Evra in the second half of the season (but then Evra became arguably the best LB in the world, so no shame on that).

Rojo played more and behaved better plus in a fight Rojo would kick him out of the ground

stevoc

Shit player seems out of bitterness to me. I thougth he was quality, he is from South America so dont udnerstand the anger at supposed lack of loyalty, he was second choice after all because of Evra. Similar with Tevez, we didnt pay the loan fee to make it permanent, again he has no ties to the club or English football.
For me the both gave there all for the club while here, were real fighters with quality as well. Would much rather that than players that kiss the badge and speak so highly of the club.....but dont perform, Heinze performed
Mad that people still believe this, when both Ferguson and Gill have went on the record to say we were willing to pay the previously agreed fee.

But for some reason Tevez and his owner never replied and decided to go to City instead, I wonder why? £$£$

It's a mystery I tell you.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

yeah, I think you're right - Higuan was a busted flush right from the start.

Thhink they went with the Hollywood outlook rather than getting the basics right.

Atlanta pumped in money to their youth system as well which seems to be reaping rewards,.

lsd

The Oracle
Mad that people still believe this, when both Ferguson and Gill have went on the record to say we were willing to pay the previously agreed fee.

But for some reason Tevez and his owner never replied and decided to go to City instead, I wonder why? £$£$

It's a mystery I tell you.

We only offered to pay him after it became clear City were after him. We jerked him around his second season after buying Berbatov and playing him over Tevez

stevoc

We only offered to pay him after it became clear City were after him. We jerked him around his second season after buying Berbatov and playing him over Tevez
Well obviously if we weren't supposed to pay it until June/July 2009.

I'm not getting into an off topic debate about Tevez. Information of the events surrounding Tevez's departure are freely available from sources who would know.

In short we signed him on a 2 year loan in summer 2007 with an option to buy him for £25m in summer 2009 (not before), the club agreed to pay that fee but Tevez and his agent decided against it. United did what many fans wanted but Tevez didn't want to stay at United clearly.

Signing another player in your position is not 'jerking' a player around mate come on, it's called competition and Tevez obviously wasn't a fan.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be honest I don't mind the whole Liverpool issue after all these years. He was clearly not first choice here and we wanted to move on, he was within his rights to want a transfer anywhere and that includes our rivals (who were not even that close to us in the league at the time). Fans are too easily offended by things like this. If we got a £15m offer from a crappy team back then we would have accepted it too and asked him to go.

GloryHunter07

I never fully understood the hate. He lost his starting spot to Evra and wanted to move on. But because he wanted to go to another top club (yes rivals and all that) he became a villain.

Anyway, still like him.
I feel like the Liverpool thing was just a charade to get a move to Real.

Smores

Was a cracking player, nonsense comparing him to Rojo.

Obviously no one remembers him well due to his actions but he was still very good.

Welbeckham

He was much better than people are suggesting. Was a very good LB, picked up a big injury and eventually ended up being replaced by Evra, who was slightly lucky to steal his place in the team at the time. Claiming that he was crap just because he wanted a move to our biggest rivals is revisionism.

James Peril

He was never world class, not in a million years. He had tons of gusto but he was defensively shaky as feck. His blood and thunder attitude won fans over but he was low on quality, his positioning was horrible and he was incredibly rash. Bang average at best and I was delighted when we got rid.
Low on quality - objectively not true. Horrible positioning? You hardly play left-back for Man Utd if that was the case, objectively false. Bang average at best? Again, he played left-back for Manchester United. Objectively not true here as well. Your post is pretty terrible. Heinze was a good player with a sweet left-foot and tons of aggression, we need a few more like him.

arthurka

Absolute no chance was he a shit player, when he was at United he was one of the world's best left-backs, and only took another world-class left-back in Evra to dislodge him
Hated him after that Liverpool shit he pulled but all of what you wrote is spot on.

Last edited:
I've been an Atlanta season ticket holder since our first season. It's all gone massively downhill since those first two magical years. From seemingly not missing on a single transfer and playing beautiful attractive football to routinely replacing fan favorites to avoid paying them more with mediocre overpaid players who don't come close to matching their production. De Boer was quite boring overall but still managed to win two trophies and was a missed penalty and fluke goal away from playing an MLS cup at home before imploding in his second year. The problems have run much deeper than the manager. Our front office is a mess and the players have revolted against coaches several times now.

Heinze's sacking is fully deserved though despite the mediocre squad (on one of the highest payrolls in the league) he's dealt with. The fanbase was hoping we'd hire him for months before the links emerged but the reality was starkly different from the exciting Argentine manager many thought we were getting. The refusing players water thing is obviously completely unacceptable at any level of football and half of our squad is injured right now because of his overly intense training sessions. Then he tried to alienate our club legend striker who's scored 77 goals in 88 MLS game because he reportedly complained about the effects of the training. Not to mention his style of play is horrendous, we haven't scored from open play in 7 matches and haven't won in 8.

United in sin

I stand corrected about Miami, but Atlanta were not a new team when Integrated into the MLS, so it's very different to Miami's situation.
Yes they were. Atlanta were not integrated into MLS, they were an expansion team that never played a professional game before joining the MLS

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Im going to see if my MLS team is watchable again right now.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Two games since the change and not looking like there will be a bounce.

Brophs

The One and Only
It's a bloodbath over there for ex-United left backs.

lsd

The Oracle
Probably the sort of guy Rojo would throw a fire extinguisher at

Anyone know what was the supposed logic in limiting the amount of water the players drank?

Probaby thinking he could toughen those soft yanks up.