MLS Cup 2017

Darkhorsez

Good half for Toronto. Better chances. Hopefully second half we will get Sounders. We’ve got a couple members at the game tonight - I think.

NYAS

Relentless domination from the home side. Can’t see them not winning this.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Fully deserved, Vasquez man of the match.

Sebastian Frei close second though.

Member 5225

Yaaaassssss Champions!!!!

Was at the stadium, was beyond lit!! :drool:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Champions!

Dominated entire match. Altidore and giovinco the difference !

Toronto fans deserve this. Very proud

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
WHAT A MATCH! WHAT. A. NIGHT!!!!!!

I'm so elated! We were dominant from the first minute onwards, and once again, Vanney tactically outclassed the opposition. I've given him so much stick last season, but this season, he's set us up excellently, and tonight was no different. We packed up the midfield given their lack of width, and their full backs were of no real threat to us. Going forward, we caused their midfield a whole load of problems with Vazquez doing excellently dropping deep along with Giovinco and Altidore causing them tons of problems.

I'll be honest, I was feeling a little pessimistic about our changes, but my God, what a match! We totally deserved the win, and Stefan Frei couldn't keep them out forever!

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
WHAT A MATCH! WHAT. A. NIGHT!!!!!!

I'm so elated! We were dominant from the first minute onwards, and once again, Vanney tactically outclassed the opposition. I've given him so much stick last season, but this season, he's set us up excellently, and tonight was no different. We packed up the midfield given their lack of width, and their full backs were of no real threat to us. Going forward, we caused their midfield a whole load of problems with Vazquez doing excellently dropping deep along with Giovinco and Altidore causing them tons of problems.

I'll be honest, I was feeling a little pessimistic about our changes, but my God, what a match! We totally deserved the win, and Stefan Frei couldn't keep them out forever!
I agree.

Vasquez deeper and more numbers in midfield meant we could counter better and supply the forwards easier.

Vanney deserves credit for the changes. Previous tactics didn't work against Columbus.

At the end of the day our best players made the difference.

Treble winners!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Previous tactics didn't work against Columbus.
Indeed, but I still give him credit for changing it up and going with a 4-4-2 in the second half. At least he learns his lessons and isn't stubborn with his tactics.

I'm so looking forward to the CONCACAF Champions League! It'll be amazing to see us play in that competition.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Rooted for TFC last year and glad to see them win it this time around.

I'm against a Cup Final being played on a homefield based upon regular season points total. The MLS Cup should be set at a predetermined destination before the season begins, as it was for the first 15 or so years.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm against a Cup Final being played on a homefield based upon regular season points total. The MLS Cup should be set at a predetermined destination before the season begins, as it was for the first 15 or so years.
Me too (even though we've hosted the final twice in a row). I just find it better for a final to be in a neutral venue, but you know that the MLS wants that money, and having a home venue based on the the team that has the higher points total will get them that. Maybe if football grows more in the U.S., they might bring back neutral final venues, but it'll be a long while until that happens.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
What´s the European equivalent to this historic US achievement? England fails to qualify for the World Cup and Swansea wins their league. :nervous:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Actually, a good middle ground would be a 2-legged final, but that'll only be possible if we have the season end earlier. An MLS season ending in December is absurd given that it's supposed to be a spring/summer season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is this a new cup? Thought MLS season had finished.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Is this a new cup? Thought MLS season had finished.
There's always been a playoff tournament after the league campaign ended. The MLS Cup is the main championship of the MLS with the Supporters' Shield being an honour introduced by fans who wanted to recognise the team with the best league record.

Member 5225

Oh yeah, it was. I was in the parade, myself, among the supporters' groups, and I had one of the best football experiences ever.

Were you still there when Jozy got the mic and spoke up? He was off his heels! :lol:
haha saw the video. No was just observing along Bay St (popped down from my office)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@limerickcitykid @Paz

I don't know if you guys saw this, but: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/...ontreal-impact-following-2017-expansion-draft

For some reason, we left him unprotected, and now we lost our best academy product to Montréal Impact. They're the biggest winners of this expansion draft, whilst we're the biggest losers.

I have no idea why we'd let go of Edwards when, even though he's raw, he shows lots of promise. I know that we don't play with wingers, but Edwards was a capable left wing back who did very well in the first half of the season, and we basically lost him for General Allocation Money...

I feel horrible all around...

P.S. Ciman got traded to LAFC as part of the exchange, and he's pissed off about it. He's going ham on Twitter, retweeting every tweet in support him and against the trade.

Member 5225

@limerickcitykid @Paz

I don't know if you guys saw this, but: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/...ontreal-impact-following-2017-expansion-draft

For some reason, we left him unprotected, and now we lost our best academy product to Montréal Impact. They're the biggest winners of this expansion draft, whilst we're the biggest losers.

I have no idea why we'd let go of Edwards when, even though he's raw, he shows lots of promise. I know that we don't play with wingers, but Edwards was a capable left wing back who did very well in the first half of the season, and we basically lost him for General Allocation Money...

I feel horrible all around...

P.S. Ciman got traded to LAFC as part of the exchange, and he's pissed off about it. He's going ham on Twitter, retweeting every tweet in support him and against the trade.
Yeah saw!
But too many good players to protect, something had to give tbh.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah saw!
But too many good players to protect, something had to give tbh.
Ehh...I wouldn't have protected Zavaleta...I'd say that he's someone we could have easily replaced. Finding a replacement/moving on from Raheem, however, isn't easy for us, particularly since getting a player with his qualities (strong dribbler, decent crosser, hardworking and defensively adept) would requite a significant outlay of our Targeted Allocation Money.

Member 5225

Ehh...I wouldn't have protected Zavaleta...I'd say that he's someone we could have easily replaced. Finding a replacement/moving on from Raheem, however, isn't easy for us, particularly since getting a player with his qualities (strong dribbler, decent crosser, hardworking and defensively adept) would requite a significant outlay of our Targeted Allocation Money.
Yeah fair point re Z - agreed

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He is related to Vanney though so unfortunately wasn't going to happen. Just found out we've lost Edwards, big shame. I liked him.

Only just had time to watch the match. Woo!! So pumped, even though I'm a week late and its 4am.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He is related to Vanney though so unfortunately wasn't going to happen.
Are you sure there's nepotism at play? To me, it seems like they see him as a good young defender who can provide a squad option in place of Hernandez or start at RCB (even though Hagglund's the better player).

I used to think that nepotism was at play, too, but then he was dropped from the starting lineup for most of the MLS Cup playoff matches and the final.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Are you sure there's nepotism at play? To me, it seems like they see him as a good young defender who can provide a squad option in place of Hernandez or start at RCB (even though Hagglund's the better player).

I used to think that nepotism was at play, too, but then he was dropped from the starting lineup for most of the MLS Cup playoff matches and the final.
I imagine it has to play apart. Even if you look at Zava's past clubs he was at RSL and Chivas because of Vanney, then he left Chivas when Vanney left Chivas. Then even Seattle Vanney is a long time friend of then manager Sigi. Then of course Vanney brings him to Toronto. Its hard not to see the correlation there.

So when he has the choice to keep him and keep all of his family in Toronto I think that has to be on his mind even if there is footballing reasons too. One of the craziest things about American sports to me is how you can wake up one morning and just be told you play on the other side of the continent now and you have to upheaval your family. I'm sure Vanney isn't going to want that for his family.

On that though, its crazy. Edwards is on like $55k. Imagine waking up and work just telling you they traded you to the LA/Montreal etc. office.