MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) = BBC (Bale, Benzema, Cristiano)

Walters_19_MuFc

Play them in a 433, with creative midifelders behind them and they will flourish. Most likely not to the levels of BBC, but the three have potential to be a very good forward line.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is crazy. @Amadaeus, do you realise who you are comparing our players to after just one performance against a poor team?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are you saying it was a #turningpoint?
I'd like to say that, but I'm not prepared to commit to anything yet due to the number of false dawns we have been subjected to post-Fergie.

There has been an improvement in the team's overall performance since the Liverpool game, and Martial returning from injury has been a big plus. He and Rashford are showing signs of a blossoming partnership, I lost count of how many times they linked up tonight, throw a fit and firing Pogba into the mix and we have the makings of a halfway decent side.

I'm not quite sure how much of that you can attribute to Ole's management, though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd like to say that, but I'm not prepared to commit to anything yet due to the number of false dawns we have been subjected to post-Fergie.

There has been an improvement in the team's overall performance since the Liverpool game, and Martial returning from injury has been a big plus. He and Rashford are showing signs of a blossoming partnership, I lost count of how many times they linked up tonight, throw a fit and firing Pogba into the mix and we have the makings of a halfway decent side.
Agree things are looking a little better, although I'm not convinced. It's the teams outside the usual top 5 or 6 in the league we seem to struggle with the most, not the bigger teams or the games in Europe. Unfortunately there's plenty of them too.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We have to appreciate these talents. Not every team has attacking talent like these guys coming through basically at the same time. All of them are quick and technical goal scorers. It's one of the few things I'm positive about our future. Greenwood is an insane talent and how far the other two guys will go, we'll be able to see these next couple of years. Getting the balance right now, with more creators to support them will be very important for their usefulness and development.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Certainly has potential. I’d like to see mason used more in the 10 as he develops and have James on the right.

we look a lot more balanced and threatening as a team though with them all out together.

passing-wind

This thread is pure banter but unless they perform through a season the praise is unjustified.

redshaw

Shame we don't have Valencia here, we could have Young Marcos Maguire and Valencia. YMMV, your mileage may vary.

Actually forgot about Victor so we have fielded YMMV I think with Young Maguire Marcos and Victor with good old Marcos at fullback

tenpoless

None of them is a target man that can hold up the ball and bring others into play, though.

So unless They become MSN, They cannot be compared to BBC, most likely ended up as Channel 4.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
'Most likely'... indeed.
Take Ronaldo out and they're only fighting with Benzema and Bale. Will Marcus and Martial become better than those guys? Certainly doable. However, anything written that compares young players to anything Ronaldo related gets a bit silly real quick.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Still not as bad as my Rashford is as good as Mbappe thread. I’ll plead the 5th.

Tarrou

they do look quite promising, but if you're going to play a front three like that you need a really creative midfield behind them

as we don't have that I'd much rather Dan James in one of the wide positions, at present

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Take Ronaldo out and they're only fighting with Benzema and Bale. Will Marcus and Martial become better than those guys? Certainly doable. However, anything written that compares young players to anything Ronaldo related gets a bit silly real quick.
Which of Rashford or Martial, if either, do you think could possibly become better than prime Bale...?

And which of them, if either, do you think could become better than prime Benzema...?

Obiorahking_

Not a single chance. I'm not convinced that any of those guys are cut out..

snowkarl

No they will never come anywhere close to Benzema or Bale man. If you'd seen Benzema play when he was Greenwood's age you'd understand but he was just on such a completely different level it's not even funny, and Martial and Rashford... Come on.

All 3 are very talented players but comparing them to actual GENERATIONAL talent only makes it harder for them. Mbappe can be compared to Bale and Benzema, Martial and Rashford are nowhere near their level sadly.

If you want to compare, Martial might be able to reach the levels of someone like Higuain but even that seems unlikely considering his low work rate and lack of drive but Rashford actually provides a ton of great pressing movement and speed thanks to his work rate so at least he can be considered useful. Unless Martial scores, nowadays he does very very little.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Which of Rashford or Martial, if either, do you think could possibly become better than prime Bale...?

And which of them, if either, do you think could become better than prime Benzema...?
We don't know if they'll be better. I don't think Benzema fulfilled his full talent despite him putting up decent numbers at Madrid for a while. I don't think its too far off for someone like Martial or Rashford to reach the top then just digress and just stay there being consistently very good but not quite top level. Bale was amazing, but he didn't get close at all to the Ronaldo level that Real Madrid would have hoped for. Both are examples of players despite being very talented, didn't go to the extra level. I wouldn't expect Rashford and Martial to surpass them but if they are going to make it they would probably be around that level yeah.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No they will never come anywhere close to Benzema or Bale man. If you'd seen Benzema play when he was Greenwood's age you'd understand but he was just on such a completely different level it's not even funny, and Martial and Rashford... Come on.

All 3 are very talented players but comparing them to actual GENERATIONAL talent only makes it harder for them. Mbappe can be compared to Bale and Benzema, Martial and Rashford are nowhere near their level sadly.

If you want to compare, Martial might be able to reach the levels of someone like Higuain but even that seems unlikely considering his low work rate and lack of drive but Rashford actually provides a ton of great pressing movement and speed thanks to his work rate so at least he can be considered useful. Unless Martial scores, nowadays he does very very little.
Mbappe will leave Bale and Benzema in the dust. Neither were generational talents. People appear to mistakenly use this for top 10-15 players of a generation. That's reserved for freaks like Messi and Ronaldo not Benzema and Bale FFS.

snowkarl

We don't know if they'll be better. I don't think Benzema fulfilled his full talent despite him putting up decent numbers at Madrid for a while. I don't think its too far off for someone like Martial or Rashford to reach the top then just digress and just stay there being consistently very good but not quite top level. Bale was amazing, but he didn't get close at all to the Ronaldo level that Real Madrid would have hoped for. Both are examples of players despite being very talented, didn't go to the extra level. I wouldn't expect Rashford and Martial to surpass them but if they are going to make it they would probably be around that level yeah.
Bale and Benzema have scored 100s of goals in the top tier, CL and league games often winning games entirely on their own with insane consistency. Bale basically carried Spurs alone for 2 years and had some of the all time best performances in the CL first against Inter and then scoring to win the CL and El Clasicos. Benzema is like one of the highest scoring and assisting players in the CL ever and averages more goals a season than Rashford and Martial do COMBINED. And he's done this since like age 19... Martial has played first team football for more than five years, he's close to the finished product, it's honestly insulting and delusional to say he's going to reach their levels as if it's nothing... If Benzema and Bale didn't reach that "extra" level, no one but Messi and Ronaldo did ffs.

Although again, at least Rashford tries his best and works hard so easier to empathize with him, but talent wise... Come on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Long way to go for such comparisons. Even leaving trophies aside as that is often influence by having brilliant players around you. But both Benzema and Bale were around 23/24 playing at a very high level. Maybe Rashford and Martial can emulate that when playing in a better and more cohesive team but they could also fail to elevate their level in such an environment.

ReallyUSA

Half the people in this thread don't even know where this tean plays league at.

Son

No chance. Ronaldo was phenomenon. Benzema has a higher football IQ than any of our forwards and Bale was a superstar around 23.

Our forward line is rough around the edges to say the least. Ronaldo at Martial’s age was busy winning the Ballon D’Or and scoring 42 goals for us. We are 10th in the league currently, I don’t see us acheiveing 4 champions league trophies in the next 50 years never mind 5...

Let’s not even talk about the MSN at Barcelona last time they won the treble either. None of our forwards are fit to lace their boots talent wise.

Member 119614

Leaving out James after being our most consistent attacker this season is nice!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Bale and Benzema have scored 100s of goals in the top tier, CL and league games often winning games entirely on their own with insane consistency. Bale basically carried Spurs alone for 2 years and had some of the all time best performances in the CL first against Inter and then scoring to win the CL and El Clasicos. Benzema is like one of the highest scoring and assisting players in the CL ever and averages more goals a season than Rashford and Martial do COMBINED. And he's done this since like age 19... Martial has played first team football for more than five years, he's close to the finished product, it's honestly insulting and delusional to say he's going to reach their levels as if it's nothing... If Benzema and Bale didn't reach that "extra" level, no one but Messi and Ronaldo did ffs.

Although again, at least Rashford tries his best and works hard so easier to empathize with him, but talent wise... Come on.
You're right they did go extra level if you compare with worse players.

Anyways. Not in any way did I mean to discredit those players, to make it to that level is an incredible thing and for Bale and Benzema to stay there or there about is not something that all good players manages to do. Hardy anyone manages to keep it up at peak level, so what they have done is clearly good. The thing is these players built up their reputation many years ago, and that road made them renowned they weren't ever just "world class" out of the box.

I haven't even made a real case to claim Martial and Rashford should surpass what they have done as it was nothing, but we're talking about two young talented players here and if you ask me I won't know for sure until they are in their prime themselves. It is that easy. If they do make it to the top, they would do very well to surpass them. It is not something that is totally unbelievable to me. It would be more "unbelievable" if anyone compared Bale when he played at left back to Ronaldo, or a very young Benzema to Raul.

Last edited: