MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) = BBC (Bale, Benzema, Cristiano)

romufc

So, you are saying that these kids are secretly Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo?

So many questions.
I think it is more they can emulate them to being very threatening.

It is probably not just BBC but MSN (Messi, Neymar, Suarez), or the liverpool 3.

However, I do not see Greenwood, Rashford and Martial starting games on the regular for us.

Having the most natural finisher as a RW wont work IMO.

Greck

Why should a 'top' coach reap the benefits of Solskjaer's hard work in clearing the decks and promoting youth?

This is Solskjaer's side. They are growing with him and will get better with him.
Like Ole isn't reaping the benefits of LVG discovering Rashford and Martial and Jose discovering Mctominay. Ole gets credit for helping and not hindering their development but let's be clear on who promoted who from the academy and fast tracked them to the first team. Greenwood is Ole's credit

Last edited:

TRUERED89

It is probably not just BBC but MSN (Messi, Neymar, Suarez), or the liverpool 3.

However, I do not see Greenwood, Rashford and Martial starting games on the regular for us.

MSN? the best front 3 probably ever seen! 150 goals between them in 1 season, that MSN??

romufc

MSN? the best front 3 probably ever seen! 150 goals between them in 1 season, that MSN??
Yes that MSN. No one is saying our three will ever come close but that is what the principles are based on.

As I have also said, I dont think Greenwood and Martial will start together.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I worry that if this club doesn't shape itself up soon.....we're going to find it hard to hang on to Rashford n Greenwood long term.

Gasolin

It can work, in our setup, Martial is a creator who has to come and supplement the midfield to give extra passing options, and Rashford and Greenwood are tasked to go and score. Occasionally, Martial will score too, but he's asked to be some sort of 9 doing false 9 job sometimes, sometimes a real 9 job.

Lynty

I just wish they gelled together better, especially Rashford and Martial. A very good 10, though, might make that happen. Maybe Pogba when he comes back.
I think Martial and Rashford gel very nicely.

DVG7

Very excited for the first game this three play together where they all have 9/10 performances, which I think is a reasonable expectation that they can do that fairly regularly. The three of them combined gives you pretty much the perfect striker, and I think the fact that you wouldn’t call any of them a great passer of the ball just highlights the need for the midfield to be a bit more creative. If pogba comes back and plays to his ability, then our 4 most forward thinking players have the ability to dismantle any team and that’s hugely exciting.

romufc

Very excited for the first game this three play together where they all have 9/10 performances, which I think is a reasonable expectation that they can do that fairly regularly. The three of them combined gives you pretty much the perfect striker, and I think the fact that you wouldn’t call any of them a great passer of the ball just highlights the need for the midfield to be a bit more creative. If pogba comes back and plays to his ability, then our 4 most forward thinking players have the ability to dismantle any team and that’s hugely exciting.
To the contrary, I think Greenwood and Martial have good passing. I have watched Greenwood a few times and hardly does he pick the wrong pass.

DVG7

To the contrary, I think Greenwood and Martial have good passing. I have watched Greenwood a few times and hardly does he pick the wrong pass.
they have good passing, but not the pinpoint accurate through ball type (at least yet)

TRUERED89

Yes that MSN. No one is saying our three will ever come close but that is what the principles are based on.

As I have also said, I dont think Greenwood and Martial will start together.
Maaaan, if they even get 75 goals between them I'll be wetting myself.. Who knows ey? If we fix our midfield and the forwards keep developing sky's the bloody limit.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Maaaan, if they even get 75 goals between them I'll be wetting myself.. Who knows ey? If we fix our midfield and the forwards keep developing sky's the bloody limit.
They have the capacity to. Martial and Greenwood are assassins in front of goals. And Rashford gets into good scoring position. Put in a few creative midfielder behind them, a manager with an attacking philosophy and attacking fullbacks, and they can reach that amount.

Last edited:

davidmichael

What are they on at the moment ? 39 goals between them ? I think if they hit 60 as a trio that’ll be a success in my eyes and I think that’s a realistic target as they’re two thirds of the way there already.

I think long term Greenwood will play through the middle so I’d like to see us sign Sancho and slowly integrate Greenwood into being a central striker. With James covering for Rashford, Greenwood and Martial battling for the striker role and Sancho we’d have a potentially great attacking line up going forward.

A-man

What I miss is a bad boy among those three. Who can push, pull and head goals.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The United YouTube channel did a little video on the 3 games these three have all scored together in:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The United YouTube channel did a little video on the 3 games these three have all scored together in:
Good video.

In addition, the athletic has a good piece about MMM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1537797/2020/01/16/rashford-martial-greenwood-mane-salah-firmino/?amp

FREE TRIAL LOG IN
Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have outscored Salah, Mane and Firmino this season – but can they ever become a better attacking unit

For a third consecutive season Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino are forming one of Europe’s finest front lines. Their synchronicity is unrivalled, their consistency freakish, and their potency such that they have 38 combined goals in all competitions this campaign.

So, what would you say if there was another trio active in the Premier League with 39 already in 2019-20?

With Manchester United visiting Anfield on Sunday, you can probably see where this is going.

Yes, Marcus Rashford (19), Anthony Martial (11) and Mason Greenwood (nine) have a better collective scoring rate this season than the attacking trident of a Liverpool side breaking records and collecting trophies.

Before we go any further, this is not to say United’s is a better unit. That is patently not the case. For a start they have barely been on the pitch together this season, only 337 minutes. Liverpool’s trio have clocked up 1,867 minutes in unison.

But 39...

sugar_kane

Eurgh, don't remind me.

If the toxic one was still here, we'd have a front three of Rashford, Lukaku and Perisic/Willian instead.
What a prick he was, and still is.

Can't believe the amount of fan boys he has out there still. He was poison for this club.

I had forgotten about this interview but it's up there with the Seville rant and his theatric head shaking to the crowd after a Rashford miss.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wasn't sure which thread to drop this in so here it is.

Imagine adding Sancho, and managing to keep all four free of major injuries for a season... that's a league-winning attack, no question. With an average age of 21.
Here's good, too, @Brightonian :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Front 3 of them are not our best starting XI. In fact, we might spend another 120+m just to have our attack sorted. There's no future for this MMM.
So why compare them to Liverpool front three and BBC?

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Front 3 of them are not our best starting XI. In fact, we might spend another 120+m to have our attack sorted. There's no future for this MMM.
So why compare them to Liverpool front three and BBC?
I think it's more about adding depth.

In my opinion we only have 3 long term and current players for 3 positions and you could argue that one is still not ready.

Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are kind of similar in the way the play, very technical, clinical and speedy players ( Sancho fits their mould well too) whilst players like James, Mata, Lingard and Ighalo may have done a job for us previously and now but ultimately Sancho at RW is a different kettle of fish and it allows a player like Greenwood the opportunity to play centrally more often as well.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think it's more about adding depth.

In my opinion we only have 3 long term and current players for 3 positions and you could argue that one is still not ready.

Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are kind of similar in the way the play, very technical, clinical and speedy players ( Sancho fits their mould well too) whilst players like James, Mata, Lingard and Ighalo may have done a job for us previously and now but ultimately Sancho at RW is a different kettle of fish and it allows a player like Greenwood the opportunity to play centrally more often as well.
Agreed. I'm just questioning about this MMM to make them look like our best combo. They are not now, and they won't be in the future. At the best, only MM would be on our best starting XI.

Brightonian

The whole 'MMM' 'SAS' 'BBC' thing is obviously silly, that's not how football teams work. It's just a nice viral way to attract people to Youtube videos.

That doesn't change the fact that it's exciting to have three such dangerous forwards on our books. Retain Ighalo and add Sancho and we would have a genuinely frightening array of forward options. Mata and James as respectable back-ups in case of a glut of injuries. Fernandes and, potentially, Pogba providing the ammunition.

The great thing about that sort of depth of quality is that even if your very best players lose form, you have the freedom to drop them. Rashford can't buy a goal all of a sudden? Bench him, Martial on the left, Ighalo through the middle. Fernandes goes into a horrible slump? That's ok, you've got Paul Pogba to step in and fill his shoes. Sancho struggles to settle in at first? No worries, Mason Greenwood will essentially get you a goal a game from RF anyway.

NoPace

I don't see why they can't all play together. Not a ton of creativity or passing, but for a big team, having 3 goalscorers up top and expecting 2 of the 3 midfielders and 1 or both fullbacks and one of the center backs to be really creative types isn't asking too much.

Pogba and Bruno are obviously good passers and from deep and even Fred or McTominay aren't bad if they are the future at DM (less so if one or both are used as an 8).

Wan-Bissaka and Shaw are problematic from a creativity standpoint but Shaw can link play and both will sit back and give Rashford and Greenwood freedom.

Maguire has been less of a passer than advertised (stats be damned) but he carries it well enough. Lindelof can spot a pass. Bailly more like Maguire. So if we do upgrade here it needs to be with a passer.

TLDR: MMM could work if we sign someone else to spell Pogba and Bruno as creative midfield players and an assist machine at LB (Grimaldo?) to challenge Shaw, ideally a Bonucci type would come up at CB but that seems unlikely.

meamth

The future seems to be Marcus, Martial, and Sancho with their backups of James, Ighalo and Mason. I'd be happy to see that, as Mason steadily improving.

MMS, not too shabby, eh?

SuperiorXI

Embarrassing, they've done nothing close to what Bale, Benzema and Cristiano did, should not be mentioned in the same breath.

Do they have the potential? Maybe. I don't think they'll reach those heights which isn't a slight on them because that front three was fecking insane. Insane.

Web of Bissaka

:lol: Am I the only one that is bothered about the inconsistencies?

Mason Greenwood
Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial

Gareth Bale
Karim Benzema
Cristiano
Ronaldo

what why?? it bothers me a lot... ocd?

MSN is the only right one because of brazilian's naming convention. Tbf, BBC is also right because of Portuguese's similar naming system but arguably CR's Ronaldo is more popular and commonly known than CR's Cristiano so it feels off.

MMM though...

I get the general purpose is to have a "catchy" buzzword.