MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) = BBC (Bale, Benzema, Cristiano)

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Greenwood's numbers are so impressive considering it's his first season as a first team player, and at such a young age. I thought he'd be getting about 5 goals, but he could get 15!
Absolutely. I thought he would be getting 7 goals and I would've been happy with that. Good goals he scored, too.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Do we actually need Sancho? I mean which one of these do you drop?

I know Greenwood's only been in the team with the other two the last two games but he's too good to justify not playing a majority of the time. He makes football look piss easy, and he's 18.

Fernandes meanwhile seems to be able to outscore all of them.

Dion

I know Greenwood's only been in the team with the other two the last two games but he's too good to justify not playing a majority of the time. He makes football look piss easy, and he's 18.

Greenwood is 18 and can play any one of the front 3 positions, both Martial and Rashford have questionable injury records. 4 players for 3 spots isn't overkill at all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just think back to the period where Martial was out and then when Rashford was out. Or look at how many games James has played this year. We definitely need another quality attacker whether that's Sancho or someone else.

I do love these as a front three, though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Greenwood is 18 and can play any one of the front 3 positions, both Martial and Rashford have questionable injury records. 4 players for 3 spots isn't overkill at all.
Yeah I'm not against signing him but I'm not sure it's a priority at this point. These three can be as good as any attacking trio in the league and Bruno in his own right is as good as any no10 or advanced midfielder.

Dion

Yeah I'm not against signing him but I'm not sure it's a priority at this point. These three can be as good as any attacking trio in the league and Bruno in his own right is as good as any no10 or advanced midfielder.
The issue is that Greenwood isn't a right winger, he's decent there but it's not his long term position. Which means in a year or two (or when he gets injured) we're looking at the right wing position with no option of getting Sancho.

Sancho is absolutely the best improvement to the squad we can make this window, if we rely on an 18 year old all next season we will run him into the ground.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yes. 1 injury and were back to average again. Nothing wrong with having 4 class forwards that can be rotated.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If I have one tiny,whiny criticism of these 3, its their off the ball movement whenever they interchange in the central role.
Numerous times I see all 3 still wanting the ball to their feet with their back to goal.

I would like to see Rashford and Martial atleast turn a defender when going against a deep block just so we can see even more passing creativity from the likes of Pogba and Fernandes,because these two can certainly pick a pass.

If we could bring in a forward who can just instinctively quickly turn their marker ala Hernandez (2011) or Owen that would give us another edge uptop.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Hard to drop Greenwood after the performance he put in against Brighton now. He will only get better with more experience. Bringing Sancho into this equation will hinder his development.

Maybe United should go after someone young and exciting like Kubo instead who won’t be a consistent starter for United, but has enough quality to battle for a place in the team.

Matic
Pogba - Bruno
M-M-M

Fred -Mctominay
Kubo - Grelish - James
Raul Jimenez?

future2future

We need him: Our bench is really poor and with 4 players for 3 positions all of them will play a lot (not counting James as he's more of a squad player who can make an occasional impact but not someone who's gonna start. Ighalo also sub) All great teams have multiple options, we need to be able to deal with injuries etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hard to drop Greenwood after the performance he put in against Brighton now. He will only get better with more experience. Bringing Sancho into this equation will hinder his development.

Maybe United should go after someone young and exciting like Kubo instead who won’t be a consistent starter for United, but has enough quality to battle for a place in the team.

Matic
Pogba - Bruno
M-M-M

Fred -Mctominay
Kubo - Grelish - James
Raul Jimenez?
:lol: he would get plenty of games RW and also at 9 if Sancho were brought in. United is a place where competition for places should not be shied away from. Not so mention that Sancho would also provide adequate cover for LW and James should be sent packing

Greck

He certainly makes it such that our right wing is no longer on life support. I'm almost bummed we dithered around with Pereira and James for most of the season. Youngster or not those 2 have nothing on Greenwood coming from the right

flappyjay

Yeah even if we can get Sancho, Greenwood would be the 1st choice back up at RW, ST and LW. He will eventually usurp whoever is faltering in the front 3

Ace of Spades

He certainly makes it such that our right wing is no longer on life support. I'm almost bummed we dithered around with Pereira and James for most of the season. Youngster or not those 2 have nothing on Greenwood coming from the right
Greenwood has filled out during the break and that has certainly helped a lot. Before that he was effective in moments, but still a bit light weight or invisible in games, and that could have actually been negative to his development. Losing his confidence is never good for any player, much less one who is still very new to this level.

Ole has managed Greenwood perfectly, and in general been good with the young players overall.

Greck

Greenwood has filled out during the break and that has certainly helped a lot. Before that he was effective in moments, but still a bit light weight or invisible in games, and that could have actually been negative to his development. Losing his confidence is never good for any player, much less one who is still very new to this level.

Ole has managed Greenwood perfectly, and in general been good with the young players overall.
We erred on the safe side with him but he definitely surpassed James a while back. Also in terms of physical readiness James looks ready to fly into the stands after every nudge. He's the one who really needs to bulk up before starting another game. That hot start flattered to deceive

Ace of Spades

We erred on the safe side with him but he definitely surpassed James a while back. Also in terms of physical readiness James looks ready to fly into the stands after every nudge. He's the one who really needs to bulk up before starting another game. That hot start flattered to deceive
He did not surpass James a while back, he was not visible in a lot of games, and certainly was not as effective in the PL.

James is no world beater, but he offered a decent option on the right when Greenwood was not ready. He is an out an out winger, and was an effective option to have on the right when we had no alternative. And James is stronger than you think, no where near as weak as your hyperbole suggests.

Now that Greenwood has improved, he is the one who is starting.

freeurmind

weak willed

Total nonsense. Ole should have played him more.

Red00012

They won’t be fit all the time . Our back up options for these 3 are Lingard , Mata , Ighalo , James and Periera. That answers your question I think.

Ace of Spades

He's the best goalscorer at the club and he's barely had 5 league starts this campaign. In a team that struggles to score. Makes no sense.
He was not played because he was not ready. Whether the team is struggling or not is irrelevant. Playing a young player when he is not ready does not help the player in any way.

And the problem was not goalscoring, but breaking teams down. The main reason for that was the midfield and FBs rather than Greenwood.

No surprise it makes no sense to you, as you seem to be mistakenly think that Greenwood has been as good all the time as he has been since the restart.

Lam

We should still sign Sancho. Let’s not forget Mason is just 18, Sancho himself 20-21(?), Rashford 22 and Martial 24. They’re all really young and will blow hot and cold. 4 players plus James and Ighalo as backup for front 3 is very good planning.
Hopefully by end of next season, we will replace Ighalo with a better and younger striker, have more idea whether James will make it or not, and also know if Martial is going to fulfill his potential by being consistent or not. If martial regresses, then we ship both Martial and Ighalo for a top class 100m forward next season (I hope he clicks and goes on to become a great player with us).

If we are fortunate enough with injuries, we might potentially witness a great chase between Greenwood and Rashford to break Rooney’a record. And both of them are from the academy. Just unbelievable!

Handré1990

He's the best goalscorer at the club and he's barely had 5 league starts this campaign. In a team that struggles to score. Makes no sense.
You really don’t think he has improved massively over the season? His skills are as good as any other player in the league imo, but he did struggle to impact games throughout 90 mins, he was more of a moments player. Maybe the others didn’t trust him yet, maybe he was a little careful in demanding the ball, I’m not sure, but his performances since the restart have been on a different level, and I’m sure the stats back it up.

macheda14

We should still sign Sancho. Let’s not forget Mason is just 18, Sancho himself 20-21(?), Rashford 22 and Martial 24. They’re all really young and will blow hot and cold. 4 players plus James and Ighalo as backup for front 3 is very good planning.
Hopefully by end of next season, we will replace Ighalo with a better and younger striker, have more idea whether James will make it or not, and also know if Martial is going to fulfill his potential by being consistent or not. If martial regresses, then we ship both Martial and Ighalo for a top class 100m forward next season (I hope he clicks and goes on to become a great player with us).

If we are fortunate enough with injuries, we might potentially witness a great chase between Greenwood and Rashford to break Rooney’a record. And both of them are from the academy. Just unbelievable!
Surely buying a young 100m forward gets in the way of Greenwood’s development. I’m a big fan of the age gap between our three #9s, Greenwood the youngest and most willing to be played out of position, Martial the starter and Ighalo the older professional who is happy to sit on the bench at a big club. Bringing in a new 100m #9 in place of Martial and Ighalo takes away our depth and brings in someone who will expect to start every game.

freeurmind

weak willed
You really don’t think he has improved massively over the season? His skills are as good as any other player in the league imo, but he did struggle to impact games throughout 90 mins, he was more of a moments player. Maybe the others didn’t trust him yet, maybe he was a little careful in demanding the ball, I’m not sure, but his performances since the restart have been on a different level, and I’m sure the stats back it up.
Yes he's improved this season but he was already better than those being started over him at the beginning of the season. The only bad start I can think he's had this season was at AZ, every other time he's been good.

Handré1990

Yes he's improved this season but he was already better than those being started over him at the beginning of the season. The only bad start I can think he's had this season was at AZ, every other time he's been good.
Maybe I’m out of date, but I think it’s been as much about keeping him a little bit out of the spotlight, keeping him grounded and keeping him focused on his own development, as opposed to him taking on a lot of responsibility in a struggling team. He turned 18 a couple of months into the season, so it’s a good idea to try to not put a lot of pressure on him imo.

Maybe his development would have been the same if he had been a starter from the get go, maybe even better, we’ll never know. What we do know though is that he is having a season comparable to Rooney’s debut season for us, even if he has been starting fewer games than many of us would have liked. I don’t think it’s fair at all to criticise the way he’s been handled looking at how he is doing now, in our most important part of the season.

Edit: I also think he should have had more starts. About twice as many at least, but can understand the reluctance to rely on such a young player when we were shit and were struggling to create chances.

Greck

Maybe I’m out of date, but I think it’s been as much about keeping him a little bit out of the spotlight, keeping him grounded and keeping him focused on his own development, as opposed to him taking on a lot of responsibility in a struggling team. He turned 18 a couple of months into the season, so it’s a good idea to try to not put a lot of pressure on him imo.

Maybe his development would have been the same if he had been a starter from the get go, maybe even better, we’ll never know. What we do know though is that he is having a season comparable to Rooney’s debut season for us, even if he has been starting fewer games than many of us would have liked. I don’t think it’s fair at all to criticise the way he’s been handled looking at how he is doing now, in our most important part of the season.

Edit: I also think he should have had more starts. About twice as many at least, but can understand the reluctance to rely on such a young player when we were shit and were struggling to create chances.
Actually think we just fell too in love with James' speed especially on the counter. It's now become clear Mason being more skilled has better utility against low blocks. A lot of our chance creation problems against low blocks were compounded by having James on the right. Mason by comparison can dribble, pass and just doesn't seem fazed in tight spaces

Nep77

We probably need to add B at the end too, he will score as much if not more. Incredible all 4 could hit 20+ next season if they remain fit.

billybee99

Surely buying a young 100m forward gets in the way of Greenwood’s development. I’m a big fan of the age gap between our three #9s, Greenwood the youngest and most willing to be played out of position, Martial the starter and Ighalo the older professional who is happy to sit on the bench at a big club. Bringing in a new 100m #9 in place of Martial and Ighalo takes away our depth and brings in someone who will expect to start every game.
Since when is Sancho a #9?

el3mel

Let them compete on the spot. Too many games to play. I'll prefer to have Sancho and Greenwood on this side instead of James, Lingard and shite.

Handré1990

Actually think we just fell too in love with James' speed especially on the counter. It's now become clear Mason being more skilled has better utility against low blocks. A lot of our chance creation problems against low blocks were compounded by having James on the right. Mason by comparison can dribble, pass and just doesn't seem fazed in tight spaces
I can certainly agree with most of this, but would he look as good with McTominay and Fred instead of Paul and Bruno? Which I think has a lot more impact on our chance creation against low blocks. Everything is working in his, and our favor at the moment.

macheda14

Since when is Sancho a #9?
Let them compete on the spot. Too many games to play. I'll prefer to have Sancho and Greenwood on this side instead of James, Lingard and shite.
I mean the poster I was quoting said ‘we will replace Ighalo with a better and younger striker‘. Buying a 100m forward AS WELL AS Sancho.
I want Sancho, I just find it weird bringing in Sancho in and then next season, if Greenwood is progressing really well, bringing in a new young 100m striker.

RazorOz

The do we need Sancho argument seems weird to me. If you want to actually challenge for big trophies you don't go in with bare bones. Besides Sancho is arguably better than all of them, that's an opinion of course, but we are in danger of overrating our front 3 when you compare it to what the competition has. Not like this 3 are anywhere near Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Martial and Rashford are still pretty inconsistent when it comes to it, Rashford especially this season ranges from very good to very bad a significant amount of the time, and you are asking a lot to expect Greenwood to be one of your main men week in week out. On top of this Greenwood is playing RW out of necessity as our other options are so bad, it's probably not where his future lies.

We'd be mad to think we don't need a RW going into next season.