Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Watch them somehow manage to shift him for £90m in the summer

M Bison

Supports
York City
Big rebuild on for them and even more so if Salah goes (although I think they need a change of style so selling Salah makes sense in the bigger picture).

I’d say need 2 midfielders and at least 1 more forward with Firminio going, plus defence needs bolstering. Easy £150m-200m.

crossy1686

career ending
Sell Salah and they’re admitting to the rest of the squad that they’re years away from winning the big titles. How does that sit with the players that are currently in their prime and can’t wait another 2 or 3 years for them to rebuild and go again?

How can you sign a Bellingham when you’re on the way down? Players like him will always have the option to play for a team that’s ready to win big titles now.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Sell Salah and they’re admitting to the rest of the squad that they’re years away from winning the big titles. How does that sit with the players that are currently in their prime and can’t wait another 2 or 3 years for them to rebuild and go again?

How can you sign a Bellingham when you’re on the way down? Players like him will always have the option to play for a team that’s ready to win big titles now.
Bellingham is a pipe dream for them now. They need an RB, a CB, probably two younger midfielders and another forward. Even if he agreed to go to a team that is clearly in decline, it would be extremely short-sighted of them. They have a limited budget and problems all over the pitch.

They need to be smart, because they don’t even really have sellable assets that they don’t need. I think they would be very lucky to get 70-80 million for Salah after this season.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Should have cashed in on Salah instead of Mane. Clear that Mane was the important cog in the wheel instead of him.

(Not that I'm complaining about these cnuts shooting themselves in the foot :D)

LordSpud

To be fair selling Salah could be the way to start their rebuild. Could be a sale akin to the Coutinho one which helped them to buy Alisson and Van Dijk.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
22 goals and 11 assists in 39 games is surprisingly good considering how poor he and Liverpool have been this season. I think his current salary and his age realistically prices him out of a lot moves — unless Liverpool meet him halfway like they sort of did with Mane.

crossy1686

career ending
Can see Salah ending up at Real or being lured to PSG.
He’s got 2 seasons left on his current massive contract. It doesn’t make sense to cash that in for a lower deal just to sit on the bench in Madrid. Might as well rinse Liverpool for 2 more seasons then move on a free to PSG and get another massive deal.

TheLord

Yeah, he is nearly finished. Pool should have cashed in on him last summer.

Mane was sold for £27m last season, I don't know how Salah will fetch any more than £35m, to be honest. Salah will be 31 next year and clearly appears as one of those players who will have a very rapid decline and probably won't even be PL material in a couple of years.

Bwuk

I don’t think they can sell him, not that I think they’ll want too.

I could only see him at PSG if Messi/Neymar leave.

Madrid won’t touch him. They clearly don’t like him.

Barca can’t afford him.

Bayern wouldn’t pay what Liverpool would want.

I don’t see them selling to City

Mr. Robot

City wouldn't want Salah. And Liverpool's negotiations have gone to shit since Michael Edwards left. He was a key cog in how Liverpool operated with Klopp.

M Bison

Supports
York City
That new contract for Salah was a lose/lose situation for the club, they had to give him what he wanted because he’d been so good for Liverpool but he did seem to be showing signs of slowing down. I think Salah’s camp negotiated well, Liverpool were weak with Mane going so had to make sure they tied Salah down despite the financial commitment, if they hadn’t the fans would have been in uproar.

It’s easy in hindsight but 2 years ago, if you had a choice many would have picked Salah over Mane, now it looks the opposite.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Real Madrid do need a RW, but I can’t see them going anywhere near Salah.

Doesn’t look like a Luis Campos type purchase either.,

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

It would be a big blow to lose Salah for sure, but they still have the core of a great side.

ATA, Robinson, Elliot, Alisson, Gapko, Nunez, Jota, Konate, Bajcetic, Jones, Carvalho and to a lesser extent VVD and Matip will be around for years to come.

The main issue is, obviously, whether they invest in the squad and address some of their needs.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It would be a big blow to lose Salah for sure, but they still have the core of a great side.

ATA, Robinson, Elliot, Alisson, Gapko, Nunez, Jota, Konate, Bajcetic, Jones, Carvalho and to a lesser extent VVD and Matip will be around for years to come.

The main issue is, obviously, whether they invest in the squad and address some of their needs.
notsureifserious

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
notsureifserious
TAA, Robinson, VVD, Konate, Matip and Alisson are EPL proven and have multiple quality to WC seasons under their belts.

Elliot, Jones, Carvalho and Bajcetic are talented youngsters. The former in particular is able to contribute to the first team already.

Right now Jota (26), Gomez (25), Diaz (26), Gapko (23) and Nunez (23) are squad players but they all have their best years ahead of them. The latter two are still adjusting to the league.

Their midfield needs a revamp of course, but Fabinho is 29 and has proven himself to be a quality EPL midfielder over recent seasons. He's struggled a bit this season, but he has a few years left in the tank.

Things is 31 and has his fitness (ever present) concerns. He still a quality player when he's on.

I expect they will be better next season once they've had a chance to adjust their gameplan. Too many players have been out of form, and one poor season does not suddenly mean they're now rubbish players IMO.

Gazza

TAA, Robinson, VVD, Konate, Matip and Alisson are EPL proven and have multiple quality to WC seasons under their belts.

Elliot, Jones, Carvalho and Bajcetic are talented youngsters. The former in particular is able to contribute to the first team already.

Right now Jota (26), Gomez (25), Diaz (26), Gapko (23) and Nunez (23) are squad players but they all have their best years ahead of them. The latter two are still adjusting to the league.

Their midfield needs a revamp of course, but Fabinho is 29 and has proven himself to be a quality EPL midfielder over recent seasons. He's struggled a bit this season, but he has a few years left in the tank.

Things is 31 and has his fitness (ever present) concerns. He still a quality player when he's on.

I expect they will be better next season once they've had a chance to adjust their gameplan. Too many players have been out of form, and one poor season does not suddenly mean they're now rubbish players IMO.
A bit generous of an assessment. Liverpool fans themselves have said Fabinho’s body is falling apart. Thiago has never been a perfect fit for their midfield. Elliot, Jones, Bajcetic and Carbalho are unproven and none looks like a sure thing yet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Has Konate really had multiple years of quality or he was more potential / good but often injured?

I don’t think Liverpool are falling off the map anytime soon but it may be a more uphill climb to the top than your post suggests. It’s not easy to suddenly go from a shit level to top class / league winning performances. And nearly every new signing seems to be a downgrade on what they used to have. So while they’ll remain a very good team whether they challenge etc will require some fixing and smart decision making.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Has Konate really had multiple years of quality or he was more potential / good but often injured?

I don’t think Liverpool are falling off the map anytime soon but it may be a more uphill climb to the top than your post suggests. It’s not easy to suddenly go from a shit level to top class / league winning performances. And nearly every new signing seems to be a downgrade on what they used to have. So while they’ll remain a very good team whether they challenge etc will require some fixing and smart decision making.
Don't get me wrong, at no point have I said that I believe they're going straight back to the top. I just think they'll be better.

I just don't believe they're a spent force as yet. They've got areas to address sure, but I believe they have a good core moving forwards, as highlighted in my post.

I agree that it will take some smart decision making on their part in order to improve.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
"Feels like Liverpool are at the end of their cycle and prefer a move to Spain in the summer"
To me this got a club press office leak written all over it, he is on the way down and on a long contract with massive wages, Liverpool would bite the hand off anyone who is silly enough to put in a big offer. Unless PSG or Newcastle decide to go crazy i dont see anyone coming in with a big fee now.

Rossa

Quality to WC:
- TAA is clearly below average at defending. So if Liverpool isn't the greatest team around, he will struggle at the actual bits of defending, thus him becoming a liability instead of this world class attacking fullback.
- Robinson is clearly a good player, but WC? Come on, no way. He's not even the best leftback in the league - who would swap Shaw for him for instance?
- VVD was clearly WC, but he's suffering from falling off a cliff. He's lost a couple of steps and looks devoid of self confidence when defending.
- Allisson - still WC
- When was Konate ever WC?
- Matip - never WC, but had a great season last season. Has always struggled with fitness, and although he is very good when on song, he has also fallen off a cliff.

So out of all the players you listed, I can only see one player still being world class. The rest are either good, but not great, or struggling with age/injuries and are on downward trajectory.

Their midfield is terrible. Fabinho may be 29, but he looks like he is running through a swamp. He should have a red card every other match - what the hell is that about? Henderson looks shot. Thiago isn't hardworking enough for a Klopp team and should also have a red card every other match, I mean, ffs.

Their attack has gone from world class to decent, promising youngsters with a lot of what ifs.

Summing up:
Goalie: WC
Defense: One of the worst defenses top 10 in the league
Midfield: arguably the worst top 10 in the league
Attack: top four quality

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
This season is a write off.

Much depends on whether FSG are willing to spend some of all that money they’ve earnt in the summer as the squad is in dire need of reinforcements. At least two midfielders are needed as well as a cb.

They’ve never spent big without selling big first, though, so I’m not holding my breath as we don’t really have anyone to sell for big money.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
He's still easily in the top 3 players in the league and takes fantastic care of himself so no reason why he would immediately decline. At the moment, he's under scrutiny because of the failings of his team-mates. Basically, having the best GK, left-back and RWF in the league isn't enough to win the thing, you need a few other decent players.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Wouldn't be a fan of our players making statements like that.

Loon

:lol:
"I signed a big fat contract thinking I'd be playing champion's league football..."

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Much better than the PR driven post match apologies some players give these days. Honestly cringe at stuff like that. This is much more refreshing.

AndySmith1990

I would appreciate the honesty. It's better than reading some generic soulless shite about being sorry and trying harder next time. It sounds like he genuinely cares and that's what you want to see in players.

With that said, he plays for the scousers. So feck him and his salty tears

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Last year he was talking about revenge against Real Madrid. Now he’s in Europa. :lol:

At least Real can’t dick on his team in this competition.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he wasn’t so bad at penalties, might have had a better chance to finish ahead of us.

cyberman

Much better than the PR driven post match apologies some players give these days. Honestly cringe at stuff like that. This is much more refreshing.
Isn’t this PR post driven nonsense though?

Status
Not open for further replies.