Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I'd love to either see him leave for free or Liverpool give him a really stupid contract but I have this bad feeling PSG will buy him for dumb money and hand Liverpool a financial lifeline.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I'd love for us to offer him a contract but with Rashford and Ronaldo we don't really need him
There's also Lindelof who can cover for the RW position if required. Enough strength in depth right there.

Bwuk

Been saying it for a while, PSG to replace Mbappe

beingshe7don

Been saying it for a while, PSG to replace Mbappe
Could actually work since Salah replaces the pace that Mbappe brings. Messi would have to play in a false 9 position with Neymar on the left.

marktan

Isn't there a Salah thread already?

I've seen a lot of Liverpool supporters say they're happy that they won't break their wage structure for Salah, but really that thinking is seriously flawed.

How often do you get probably the best player in the world in your team? Once every 30 years? How long will it be untill United see a player like Ronaldo or Rooney again?

They won't be able to replace him with a player even close to him in quality. They're talking about Bowen as a replacement - he's a good player but not even in the same stratosphere talent wise. Worse yet it's not 2015 anymore where you can sign players like Salah or Bowen for £35m - they'll all cost £60m+. You can sign Luiz Diazs and Jotas for £40m, but even with them stepping up their ceiling is not as high as Salah's is.

Another argument is that if they pay Salah, when Van Djik or Alisson come to renew they'll want similar money. I mean even if Salah leaves, what do you think will happen? They'll still negotiate for big salary and if they're not content they'll leave for a big payday elsewhere. It's really not reliant on Salah at all - world class players as good as those two have options everywhere.

I always thought Mane is the one they'd bin - he's noticeable declined and they have two players now who can play in his position vs none for Salah. Salah's given them 5 world class seasons, another 4 year contract would take him to 34 which is a time period in which you can still expect to him to be at a high level. He's in great physical shape and Ronaldo started to noticeabley decline at around 35 and Messi around 33.

Worse yet Klopp was pissed off at Dortmund when he continuously lost his best players like Gotze and Lewandowski, I can't imagine he'll be too pleased at losing Salah, especially since FSG have been so reluctant to sign players as of late. That 2024 leaving date may suddenly look a lot more appealing. Honestly there's only downside to letting Salah go, almost no upside at all. Just pay the man the £400k he wants - over a 4 year contract that's £80m - hell you wouldn't even be able to sign a player of Salah's quality on the open market for that sum without even considering wages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Liverpool are never going to pay 400k a week. That’s bonkers even for us and we bring in a lot more money in sponsorships etc. Salah needs to understand what club he’s at and adjust his expectations. I doubt even Madrid would pay 400k a week for someone at his age. That will be reserved for the very best young players that they can get money back on later if they need too such as Mbappe or Haaland

Corridor of Uncertainty

I would expect there to be a compromise between what Salah wants and what Liverpool are prepared to give him.

I really can't see him going elsewhere.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liverpool are never going to pay 400k a week. That’s bonkers even for us and we bring in a lot more money in sponsorships etc. Salah needs to understand what club he’s at and adjust his expectations. I doubt even Madrid would pay 400k a week for someone at his age. That will be reserved for the very best young players that they can get money back on later if they need too such as Mbappe or Haaland
Im sure hel have no problem being an Mbappe replacement at PSG.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We'll never be so lucky that Liverpool will lose Salah. They'll blink first and meet his demands which, in fairness, he has earned.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep but even there I doubt they pay 400k.
but back to my point, he’s not (rightfully so) gonna get that at Liverpool
They offered Mbappe reportedly 500k with a stupid signon bonus for 2 years.

Quite sure they wont have an issue throwing 400k at Salah, who is arguably the best player in the world and like for like in position. Salah probably has more than 2 years at peak left in him.

IrishRedDevil

Juventus paid Aaron Ramsay £400k per week.

Salah needs to hold firm with his demands. He has earned every penny of it.

If Salah moves, he will easily get a club to pay him £400k per week. No doubt.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not signing right now over money is ridiculously stupid. Short of going to City, where else is he going to maximise his career in the next 3 years?

If he wants to play in La Liga I’d get it. But bailing on one of the current best 3 club sides in the world because they won’t give you enough money is garbage. Seems out of character too.

golden_blunder

Staff
They offered Mbappe reportedly 500k with a stupid signon bonus for 2 years.

Quite sure they wont have an issue throwing 400k at Salah, who is arguably the best player in the world and like for like in position. Salah probably has more than 2 years at peak left in him.
I can understand them offering a 21 year old Mbappe that. Salah on the other hand is coming up on the age where he starts to decline little by little. I just don’t see them offering 400k a week. I think most teams learned a financial lesson the last 2 years.
I see him compromising and staying at Liverpool

golden_blunder

Staff
Juventus paid Aaron Ramsay £400k per week.

Salah needs to hold firm with his demands. He has earned every penny of it.

If Salah moves, he will easily get a club to pay him £400k per week. No doubt.
And they regretted it ever since. The football works has changed

cyberman

I can understand them offering a 21 year old Mbappe that. Salah on the other hand is coming up on the age where he starts to decline little by little. I just don’t see them offering 400k a week. I think most teams learned a financial lesson the last 2 years.
Salah is 28? Sadly there’s no decline for another 4/5 years and even then nobody is saying Salah signing this contract means he can’t be sold sooner than the end date

Cloud7

Arguably the best player in the world right now, at worst a top 3 player in the world. Insane that they’re even considering letting him leave while he’s still at his best. He is the sort of player you make an exception for, regardless of your wage structure and such. Liverpool become half the team they are now if they lose Salah.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He can fairly ask to be the best paid player in the league. Could see PSG paying them a fortune instead if Mbappe leaves this summer.

BerryBerryShrew

Salah is 28? Sadly there’s no decline for another 4/5 years and even then nobody is saying Salah signing this contract means he can’t be sold sooner than the end date
It does mean that he'd be next to impossible to sell though as he'd be on 400K per week and the buying club would be unwilling to match that wage if he declines. Similar to the headache we had with Sanchez and Real had with Bale.

That being said, I think he is worth breaking their wage structure for. In addition to his on pitch ability his commercial value is huge (he's probably the most recognisable athlete in Africa by far).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Age doesn't matter when its a 2 year deal. They just want Mbappe to hold on whilst Messi and Neymar are around in achieving the CL goal.

If Mbappe rejects that they can easily turn to Salah, who is just as good and has more than 2 years in him.

arthurka

I like Liverpool's stance here, wish that Utd had a bit of this. We pay every single player what the feck they want so they don't leave us.

cyberman

It does mean that he'd be next to impossible to sell though as he'd be on 400K per week and the buying club would be unwilling to match that wage if he declines. Similar to the headache we had with Sanchez and Real had with Bale.

That being said, I think he is worth breaking their wage structure for. In addition to his on pitch ability his commercial value is huge (he's probably the most recognisable athlete in Africa by far).
How much will he decline at 30/31? Even then that’s 3 odd years of having the best player on the planet in your side, they’ll be paying a lot more to replace him if they do at all.

Josh 76

Arguably the best player in the world right now, at worst a top 3 player in the world. Insane that they’re even considering letting him leave while he’s still at his best. He is the sort of player you make an exception for, regardless of your wage structure and such. Liverpool become half the team they are now if they lose Salah.
I don’t think Liverpool will be half the team without Salah. The way they play doesn’t depend on one player. (Unlike Utd in 2008 with Ronaldo).

He will be missed, but not as much as people think. I don’t think the issue is simple as giving Salah 400k a week. The Issue is what Mane would want if that’s agreed with Salah. Big headache for Liverpool, will be interesting to see how this folds out.

Litch

It’s a tough call for Liverpool and Salah. Whatever they offer him, it’s not going to be enough compared to what PSG e.g for example will offer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salah is 29. Next season will be 30. New deal will be for his age 31+ seasons

I can see why Liverpool might hesitate here. Honestly, if i'm Liverpool here, i offer him a 1 year extension to 2024 with an option for another year, at 40M for this season(back logged), 40M for next season, then 20M for 23-24 plus the option season, plus bonuses of course. That's 100M guaranteed for a player that should be worth it over the course of the deal, plus a well paying option to keep a degree of control over his future. Salah honestly would be unlikely to reject it i don't think, if he's asking for 26M a year...

beingshe7don

Liverpool have already gotten Luiz Diaz and Jota who seem to be doing great. Liverpool may realize that cashing in on Salah at this stage would bring in more money to invest elsewhere. Yes, Salah is probably Liverpool’s best player but the style they play, you could bring anyone in Salah’s place and the team would still excel.

marktan

Liverpool have already gotten Luiz Diaz and Jota who seem to be doing great. Liverpool may realize that cashing in on Salah at this stage would bring in more money to invest elsewhere. Yes, Salah is probably Liverpool’s best player but the style they play, you could bring anyone in Salah’s place and the team would still excel.
I think top left footers are a much rarer breed, as we've found out with the gaping hole in our RW over the last 7 or so years. There seems to be a million right footed forwards but a real dearth of left footers. Who are the best ones available? Raphina, Bowen? All would cost a lot and still be a noticeable down grade.

I think it would really depend if their scouts think they've identified the next Mo Salah or not, if they have then fair enough, but if not they'd be stupid to let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.