Mo Salah

Threesus

That’s not exactly difficult this season.
I mean, do you want him to pass the ball to Bobby “no goals” firmino or Mane who looks like he suddenly aged a decade. Considering the circumstances, his selfishness is understandable.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I mean, do you want him to pass the ball to Bobby “no goals” firmino or Mane who looks like he suddenly aged a decade. Considering the circumstances, his selfishness is understandable.
Maybe but they’d both have more goals if he looked up more.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Saw quite a bit of him at Chelsea, and then for Fiorentina. Unless he's massively improved at Roma, he is the epitome of the fast winger who looks amazing on Youtube, but is immensely frustrating to watch on a weekly basis. He's the kind of athletic winger the Premier League has seen a lot of - the type who looks incredible one week and absolute shit the next. The "he has all the ingredients, but if only he could figure it out..." type. They never do.

He's not a particularly good dribbler, unless kicking the ball 10 yards past a defender and trying to recover it himself constitutes good dribbling. His technique and decision-making can fluctuate anywhere between adequate to Bramble, often in the same game. He's at his best in an open game with space to run into, something he won't see a lot of at a big club, especially not in the Premier League.

Pretty sure Rodgers - or the nefarious "transfer committee" at Liverpool - were interested in him before Chelsea came along, so he might get a chance there. I could see him being successful in Klopp's system for a couple of months, leading to lots of hot takes about Klopp vs. Mourinho, and general hysteria, before he inevitably returns to his original level and we pretend those discussions never happened.

The only other feasible "big club" option in England could be Arsenal, if Arsene decides he wants to relive the Theo Walcott Experience (™). They're already reliving every season on a loop, why not take the next step and relive the players that led to them reliving every season? Loops within loops within loops. Feels like something Arsene would be into.
Think he is a decent acquisition on paper. An improvement on what they have, but a part of the pitch were they have so many similar players. Questions over will he deliver week in/week out which they do struggle with. But think 40mill should have been spent on their obvious defensive issues first, then a striker. Salah is far from the player they actually needed in right now.
If Klopp likes him then he must run a lot.

Just looks like a fancy Jermaine Pennant to me. Second rate player and shows the status of Liverpool compared to other European sides. Nothing especially exciting at all and they are treating it like they've signed Messi.
Think he's a very good player, but I don't think he's what Liverpool need to take them to the next level.
He's about as good a winger as Morata is a Striker.
He's super fast but not sure if there's much else going for him really.
Never got what the fuss is about. Genuinely baffling transfer for Pool.
I don't rate him, but I do rate Morata, who is a top striker.
You'd think Liverpool just signed Messi's younger twin from the reaction over the last day.

Yes he is a good player, but to already start the "watch next season" remarks is laughable. Just setting themselves up for another massive 'LOL'
An Egyptian version of Mane, isn't he? It's a good purchase, but defensively Salah won't exactly help with gegenpressing.
Thought this was interesting, and I say that as someone who didn’t predict great things either..

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm always slagging him off but tbf hitting 30 goals when we've been garbage for half the season is pretty impressive. Henderson basically gave him his goal yesterday. Bizarre goalkeeping.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Wow...look at you Nicola. Take a victory lap after all the historical research.
Took all of 3 minutes mate, as you surely must know as an admin, don’t be so sensitive. I recently said on another thread that 15 years ago I loudly claimed to anyone who’d listen that I didn’t think Messi was anything special, so don’t assume I’m taking a holier than thou position.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I love these "the internet never forgets" posts. Should be more of them.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Took all of 3 minutes mate, as you surely must know as an admin, don’t be so sensitive. I recently said on another thread that 15 years ago I loudly claimed to anyone who’d listen that I didn’t think Messi was anything special, so don’t assume I’m taking a holier than thou position.
Don't listen to them mate. Your efforts are not going unappreciated here. :angel:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
That was a great moment in low brow telly, I’m sure you meant it as an insult but thanks for reminding me of it!
I was going to paraphrase what the guy by itself, but thought I would put the video in just incase you didn't catch the reference.
I don't care that my opinion 4 years ago was incorrect plus it's not like I slagged off Salah. So not sure why you thought I was insulting you, but carry on.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Thought this was interesting, and I say that as someone who didn’t predict great things either..
my point is somewhat validated for the time. Scouse went and got Virgil 6 months later and Alison a year later. Flogging Coutinho to make space and cash. Decent acquisition turned out to be an understatement

they acted quick to plug the issues.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I would somewhat get this if all these people had slagging you off back then (although I still think it's small-time) - but you didn't even post on the topic at the time! (In fact, you only had two posts before December 2020.) So I'm not sure what your point is here. You could make these collections of posts that turned out wrong in pretty much every thread, and surely people who thought lowly of Salah some years ago know that they've been proven wrong.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
216 posts in 5 years, and about 30 of them in here, some of them mocking a MOD.
Superb stuff :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would somewhat get this if all these people had slagging you off back then (although I still think it's small-time) - but you didn't even post on the topic at the time! (In fact, you only had two posts before December 2020.) So I'm not sure what your point is here. You could make these collections of posts that turned out wrong in pretty much every thread, and surely people who thought lowly of Salah some years ago know that they've been proven wrong.
He'll be over to the Moyes thread now and outing everyone who tried to convince themselves it was a cunning move.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He'll be over to the Moyes thread now and outing everyone who tried to convince themselves it was a cunning move.
Actually, given Moyes's current work at West Ham, it should be post mocking the make-believers for Moyes's work at United and the haters for his work at West Ham - all in one fell swoop! It can't wait for the sheer epicnosity of it all.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic footballer, underrated by our own fans because of the levels he set in his debut season. His passing and creativity doesn’t get enough credit either, yeah there’s been occasions he should have passed rather than shot but people act like it’s all the time

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I was going to paraphrase what the guy by itself, but thought I would put the video in just incase you didn't catch the reference.
I don't care that my opinion 4 years ago was incorrect plus it's not like I slagged off Salah. So not sure why you thought I was insulting you, but carry on.
Just the context of you replying to me by referencing someone insulting people! It’s a fair assumption, but I’m happy you weren’t. My point wasn’t that you should care, my aim certainly wasn’t to single you out as being a bad judge of a player, more just how badly we (all) get things wrong sometimes
Hey man. My point was exactly that you could make these kind of posts with lots of transfers and I did say in my original post that I didn’t think it was a good transfer either, so if you really think I was slagging all those people off then I was doing it to myself too. And I also said I thought Messi was a flash in the pan, which is the absolute pinnacle of misjudgement. Wasn’t meant as a personal attack on those people I quoted, was just trying to make the point that he was significantly underrated. If i HAD been active on the site at the time and had praised the transfer then I think you’d have a point about this being a ‘I told you so’ gloat of a post.

That said, someone replied to me in a different disagreement the other day by saying “fair enough, sorry”, which took me by surprise as people don’t generally do that here. So I’ll take the criticism and say sorry to the people I pissed of!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
216 posts in 5 years, and about 30 of them in here, some of them mocking a MOD.
Superb stuff :lol:
He’s a Mod not a God mate, don’t be so ridiculous. Beyond that I have zero idea what the rest of your post shows, other than that you can count!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I love these "the internet never forgets" posts. Should be more of them.
I agree actually, we all reel off guff on here all the time absolutely certain that our opinions are right. It doesn’t hurt to highlight how wrong we can be once in a while.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree actually, we all reel off guff on here all the time absolutely certain that our opinions are right. It doesn’t hurt to highlight how wrong we can be once in a while.
I remember being absolutely delighted when Roy Keane got the Ipswich job. It was as close to universal assent as I can ever remember.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I remember being absolutely delighted when Roy Keane got the Ipswich job. It was as close to universal assent as I can ever remember.
I actually made a thread on this (You can quote me) and it started with me making a terrible prediction about Obertan

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hey man. My point was exactly that you could make these kind of posts with lots of transfers and I did say in my original post that I didn’t think it was a good transfer either, so if you really think I was slagging all those people off then I was doing it to myself too. And I also said I thought Messi was a flash in the pan, which is the absolute pinnacle of misjudgement. Wasn’t meant as a personal attack on those people I quoted, was just trying to make the point that he was significantly underrated. If i HAD been active on the site at the time and had praised the transfer then I think you’d have a point about this being a ‘I told you so’ gloat of a post.

That said, someone replied to me in a different disagreement the other day by saying “fair enough, sorry”, which took me by surprise as people don’t generally do that here. So I’ll take the criticism and say sorry to the people I pissed of!
Fair enough, but then isn't that super common? I mean, all the football threads are full of opposing posts, and one half of those will always turn out wrong. (To different degrees depending on the subject and point made, but anyway.) I just don't see much point in highlighting those just like that. If you were making a larger point about how come people got it wrong like this on Salah, or in general, then sure. But just saying that it happened is kinda 'duh'; and the only outcome you can expect is that some people won't like being quoted that way.

I personally also get it wrong all the time in football and don't mind being corrected btw; just with a bit more substance is how I'd personally like to see it. :)

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Fair enough, but then isn't that super common? I mean, all the football threads are full of opposing posts, and one half of those will always turn out wrong. (To different degrees depending on the subject and point made, but anyway.) I just don't see much point in highlighting those just like that. If you were making a larger point about how come people got it wrong like this on Salah, or in general, then sure. But just saying that it happened is kinda 'duh'; and the only outcome you can expect is that some people won't like being quoted that way.

I personally also get it wrong all the time in football and don't mind being corrected btw; just with a bit more substance is how I'd personally like to see it. :)
Fair play. I picked Salah probably because the difference between the initial assessment and the reality was so stark. Probably could/should have found a way to quote the posts without quoting the poster, if that makes sense.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In fairness, Salah was pretty ordinary before coming to Pool. He was in that Lukaku category where you would've expected him to become a decent player but certainly no world beater.
Mmmm, he looked like that, but the advanced metrics that liverpool relied on to sign him said he was already one of the very best forwards in europe in his final season at roma

And those first few months at fiorentina were unbelievable, he looked like an alien he was so untouchable. I think he was wrongly underrated, myself included

And to be fair to Lukaku, he kind of turned into a world beater himself these days

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Mmmm, he looked like that, but the advanced metrics that liverpool relied on to sign him said he was already one of the very best forwards in europe in his final season at roma

And those first few months at fiorentina were unbelievable, he looked like an alien he was so untouchable. I think he was wrongly underrated, myself included

And to be fair to Lukaku, he kind of turned into a world beater himself these days
Seems to be doing well in Italy but I wouldn't put him in the pantheon of current best strikers.

OleBoiii

He's been carrying Liverpool big time this season. They'd be 10th without him.

mu4c_20le

Job done, probably secured top 4 for them, time to make that big money move to Madrid while still in his prime

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Job done, probably secured top 4 for them, time to make that big money move to Madrid while still in his prime
Wouldn’t surprise me if they sold one of that front three and replaced them with Jota, and then bought a forward several years younger as back up. Salah is about to turn 29, Mane already is, and Firmino a few months off 30. It’s not critical immediately but needs addressing. The last thing they’ll want is to have to replace two of them in one transfer window.