Mo Salah

The Original

Salah is not anything close to being the best African player of all time. He's a fair entry in the discussion but not a genuine contender.

I would argue, he's only the second-best Egyptian player of all time. The best would be Mohammed Aboutrika in my opinion, based on his achievements at both national and club levels.

Aboutrika also would be a more logical candidate for best African player of all time, and for me, he is joined at the very top by Yaya Toure.

I would say, Salah, Mane, Eto, Mahrez, Drogba, Kanu, are all next-tier greats.

Weah I can't say much about because I never watched him play. He did win a Ballon'dor however.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I find Salah such a strange player. Statistically an all-time great in the Premier League, but sometimes I watch him technically and really don't know how to judge him. His decision making can appear quite poor at times, but it seems that everything always comes off for him and he scores an unbelievable amount of goals.
He’s like a juiced RW Bruno.

Both are G/A mutants with an extreme desire to win every game, which results in a lot of play acting and some really suspect decision making at times. Salah has the CL + PL titles to back him up, so I’d hold him a level above.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not that I particularly care about the argument above, but the players mentioned have nostalgia bias on their side. Salah will absolutely rightly be high up in the conversation when he’s retired.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Salah has had one of the most confusing career trajectories I've ever seen. Looked a bit of a pace merchant at Roma, and when Liverpool signed him nobody quite really batted an eyelid. Then he just exploded.

Righteous Steps

Salah is not anything close to being the best African player of all time. He's a fair entry in the discussion but not a genuine contender.

I would argue, he's only the second-best Egyptian player of all time. The best would be Mohammed Aboutrika in my opinion, based on his achievements at both national and club levels.

Aboutrika also would be a more logical candidate for best African player of all time, and for me, he is joined at the very top by Yaya Toure.

Weah I can't say much about because I never watched him play. He did win a Ballon'dor however.
Aboutrika above Salah Mane Eto’o Drogba is absolutely hilarious, you wouldn’t even put him above Okocha when truth be told.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Salah has had one of the most confusing career trajectories I've ever seen. Looked a bit of a pace merchant at Roma, and when Liverpool signed him nobody quite really batted an eyelid. Then he just exploded.
Or, if you're a Redcafe poster, he hasn't done that either really. He's just bored his way to jammy goals and diving penalties. :wenger:

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
When he was at Fiore, he showed lots of skills and pace. At Roma, he showed to be prolific and resourceful.

I know a lot of people throw hate at Mourinho for being unable to excel with Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea, but I think their talent was still developing. Some footballers do not reach maturity so young, and in Salah's case this was when being +26 yo, playing in a system that greatly boosts his talent and a team that is a serious contender. In 2017-18 when he scored 44 goals I was amazed, Liverpool really played a very strong attacking football but lacked lots of composure in their back 4.

As for him being the "Best African Player of All Time". What he has done is impressibe but I think he still needs to achieve more... Eto'o, Drogba, Madjer, Kanu, Weah... even Grobelaar as a GK are still a bit up, but he certainly can surpass them.

KeanoMagicHat

Did you read my initial post at all? I talked about being entertaining and exciting to watch. Not number of goals or delivering in Europe.
You’re very right, Hazard might have been my favourite player to watch last 10 years in the PL and it wasn’t complete show, he was decisive in two league wins. Can argue Salah is a better player but you’re right in terms of entertainment in style.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Aboutrika was more famous as redcafe poster than as a player ffs.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Maybe if he didn't play for Liverpool I'd appreciate his talent more. At this point he's just annoying. Him and everyone else that plays for Liverpool.

432JuanMata

Maybe if he didn't play for Liverpool I'd appreciate his talent more. At this point he's just annoying. Him and everyone else that plays for Liverpool.
This really proves how good he is. As he is annoyingly good just like Suarez is. He is going to go down as one of the best in the PL if he keeps this up his record is up there with the best.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It depends on how you look at it. If you're from Mozambique, I can see why you might care that Eusebio is seen as a Portoguese lends and not a Mozambique one. If you're a neutral and considering this from the sidelines, I can see why you wouldn't care about any of it and just consider for which country someone played their international games.

Obviously though, football nationality is a hot mess. It would be more correct if this discussion were phrased as 'best footballer to have played for an African country' instead of 'best African footballer'. But I get why no-one can be bothered to do that.

And to be clear, I don't really care. It's just football. I'm just joining the discussion a bit.
I think it has to be this because if you bring in all players born in Africa then you also get the likes of Vieira, Bosingwa, Evra, Desailly, Umtiti, Makelele, Nani, Zaha, Benteke etc. etc. Many don’t think of these players as African, even though they could accurately be described as such.

I understand that many of these can be distinguished from Eusebio because they went to their respective European countries as young children but Mozambique was supposedly ‘part’ of Portugal in Eusebio’s time, which further complicates matters.

Basically, it’s very complex. I totally take your point that nationality is a minefield.

432JuanMata

He is a diving twat and plays for the scouse but he is incredibly underrated on here. He literally has the same records as some of the best in PL history

The Original

Aboutrika above Salah Mane Eto’o Drogba is absolutely hilarious, you wouldn’t even put him above Okocha when truth be told.
Maybe Eto'o is in the highest tier actually, but Mane and Drogba are a clear level below. It's easy to see when you compare what they have done at the level of the Africa Cup of Nations.

Aboutrika was more famous as redcafe poster than as a player ffs.
Aboutrika never left Africa for Europe so that may count against him on a popularity basis but the man is an absolute institution of African football.

He was a midfielder who:

Scored 33 times in 100 international games
Inspired consecutive Egyptian league, CAF Champions League, and Africa Cup of Nation wins within the 5 year period of 2005 - 2010
Was top scorer at one FIFA Club World Cup
Was top assister at another, both of which prove he had the level to excel in Europe if he chose to

All of this is unprecedented in African football and Okocha, as much as I love him, doesn't come close.

Now Salah has certainly done his business at club level but he doesn't have anything like Abouttrika's impact at national level.

To be considered an all time great, you have to have both. So even if the Egyptian league was not quite the level of the premier league, I'm not going to hold that against a player who never moved to Europe.

432JuanMata

Aboutrika never left Africa for Europe so that may count against him on a popularity basis but the man is an absolute institution of African football.

He was a midfielder who:

Scored 33 times in 100 international games
Inspired consecutive Egyptian league, CAF Champions League, and Africa Cup of Nation wins within the 5 year period of 2005 - 2010
Was top scorer at one FIFA Club World Cup
Was top assister at another, both of which prove he had the level to excel in Europe if he chose to

Now Salah has certainly done his business at club level but he doesn't have anything like Abouttrika's impact at national level.

To be considered an all time great, you have to have both. So even if the Egyptian league was not quite the level of the premier league, I'm not going to hold that against a player who never moved to Europe.
Exactly.

Ronaldo took over top international goal scorer from Ali Daei who scored 109 goals yet flopped at Hertha and Bayern and went back to Al Saad.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm actually starting to think he might be our best goal scorer in recent times. He's on a goals to games ratio of 0.63. By comparison:

Suarez = 0.62
Torres = 0.57
Owen = 0.53
Fowler = 0.5

Suarez might've ended up higher if he'd hung around longer but it's hard to say.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think it has to be this because if you bring in all players born in Africa then you also get the likes of Vieira, Bosingwa, Evra, Desailly, Umtiti, Makelele, Nani, Zaha, Benteke etc. etc. Many don’t think of these players as African, even though they could accurately be described as such.

I understand that many of these can be distinguished from Eusebio because they went to their respective European countries as young children but Mozambique was supposedly ‘part’ of Portugal in Eusebio’s time, which further complicates matters.

Basically, it’s very complex. I totally take your point that nationality is a minefield.
Yeah, exactly. Obviously, this discussion is just about who played for African countries, but if someone would look at the people that have been mentioned and say 'so Africa never produced a GOAT contender' - that's where it goes wrong. Cause someone like Eusebio was clearly 'produced' by Africa.

Anyway. Salah eh!

RooneyLegend

Exactly.

Ronaldo took over top international goal scorer from Ali Daei who scored 109 goals yet flopped at Hertha and Bayern and went back to Al Saad.
Far from the same thing. Aboutreika played against alot of these players in contention and was better than them on the same stage.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is a diving twat and plays for the scouse but he is incredibly underrated on here. He literally has the same records as some of the best in PL history
Is he underrated? I'd say he's one of their 6 world class players.

432JuanMata

Is he underrated? I'd say he's one of their 6 world class players.
210 games 131 goals. He is considered great on here but some(it is a United forum so it’s expected) think he’s not up there with the best in the league.
His record since joining Liverpool matches nearly everyone in PL history yet some on here still say he’s not a world class player.

432JuanMata

Far from the same thing. Aboutreika played against alot of these players in contention and was better than them on the same stage.
His record on a international level is excellent but Salah has over 100 PL goals has won PL and CL he on a domestic level is miles ahead

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
210 games 131 goals. He is considered great on here but some(it is a United forum so it’s expected) think he’s not up there with the best in the league.
His record since joining Liverpool matches nearly everyone in PL history yet some on here still say he’s not a world class player.
We've been singing about Martial being a world beater for years. If Salah was at United we'd have built him a shrine already.

432JuanMata

We've been singing about Martial being a world beater for years. If Salah was at United we'd have built him a shrine already.
That’s exactly what I mean. Salah keeps this up for 2-3 more seasons and he will be up there with the best in the PL history. I get this is a United forum and same as RAWK will downplay our players it’s just natural but I have read some crazy comments saying he’s nothing special or seriously overrated

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That’s exactly what I mean. Salah keeps this up for 2-3 more seasons and he will be up there with the best in the PL history. I get this is a United forum and same as RAWK will downplay our players it’s just natural but I have read some crazy comments saying he’s nothing special or seriously overrated
Well, I'm in the camp of thinking Alexander-Arnold is an outrageous player, and it's pretty popular here to shit on him. If he were at United we'd be absolutely mesmerised by him, despite his defensive flaws. With Salah it's simply impossible to deny his class.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’ll admit I thought a while back that we should sell him and spend the money on Sancho or some other talent. Think I even posted it on here. Goes to show how much I really know.

RooneyLegend

His record on a international level is excellent but Salah has over 100 PL goals has won PL and CL he on a domestic level is miles ahead
Aboutreika never played on those stages, on the stage he did play on he dominated like no other. He did play against players who excelled on those stages and looked better than them. Ask the likes of Drogba, Essien, Eto'o what he did to their teams.

432JuanMata

Aboutreika never played on those stages, on the stage he did play on he dominated like no other. He did play against players who excelled on those stages and looked better than them. Ask the likes of Drogba, Essien, Eto'o what he did to their teams.
Why though ? Didn’t he play for Al Ahly ? As I said he might have a good international career but hasn’t a patch on Salah overall

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yeah, exactly. Obviously, this discussion is just about who played for African countries, but if someone would look at the people that have been mentioned and say 'so Africa never produced a GOAT contender' - that's where it goes wrong. Cause someone like Eusebio was clearly 'produced' by Africa.

Anyway. Salah eh!
Sure, you could look at it that way. Eusebio is surely the greatest player to ever come out of Africa.

On Salah, I don’t want it to seem like I’m hating, I do think he’s really good.

432JuanMata

I understand if you are from Africa and a player does it in a international tournament they will always be a hero. For Maradona what a player he was but for me Messi is better but ask Arginine fans and it will always be Diego.
Like Klose he is the WC all time goalscorer or Gotze scored a WC winning goal. This will always make them heroes at home and rightfully so but for me Salah is one if not the best African player for his performances in the PL and CL which is been incredible for 4 years.

RooneyLegend

Why though ? Didn’t he play for Al Ahly ? As I said he might have a good international career but hasn’t a patch on Salah overall
He said it was because none of the European giants came for him and he wasn't willing to leave Al Ahly for a middle of the pack European club which was understandable in a way because he was pretty advanced in age when he started ruling African football. He moved to Al Ahly at 26 years of age, before that he wasn't even being selected for the national team, after he signed for them he was the best player in the country and on the continent immediately.

You're clearly commenting from an ignorant standpoint. Do yourself a favour and catch one of his matches in his prime.

RooneyLegend

I understand if you are from Africa and a player does it in a international tournament they will always be a hero. For Maradona what a player he was but for me Messi is better but ask Arginine fans and it will always be Diego.
Like Klose he is the WC all time goalscorer or Gotze scored a WC winning goal. This will always make them heroes at home and rightfully so but for me Salah is one if not the best African player for his performances in the PL and CL which is been incredible for 4 years.
No one mentions Klose as the best anything in anything. Players who are incredibly rated aren't rated due to one tournament ffs.