Mo Salah

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Would be nice to see which previous winners had winning the Copa as the primary reason of winning it.
Messi last season was fantastic, 30 goals in La Liga and 5 in CL, couldn't do more with thst underwhelming Barcelona side...plus winning Copa America in Brazil as an argentinian, seems like a fair winner.

Salah won't won anything with Egypt, they are way too rubbish, he better maintain this insane level for the rest of the season in Liverpool, and he might have a chance for the next Ballon D'or...as Messi isn't having a great season for PSG and Cristiano can score many goals, but he won't win any trophy with this underwhelming United side.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
World Cup next year. Salah will never win a Ballon d'Or. French journalists will never allow a Muslim player to shine on that level. No way
Is Zidane not Moslem and won the Balon dor

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
15 goals in 12 games for Liverpool this season. He’s in ridiculous form. I don’t think he was this good in the 17/18 season so this might be him hitting peak.

GlasgowCeltic

Should have POTY locked up but then Kane should've last year, can see a Foden getting it instead

Josh 76

15 goals in 12 games for Liverpool this season. He’s in ridiculous form. I don’t think he was this good in the 17/18 season so this might be him hitting peak.
If he takes you to the PL and CL trophies this season and hits 40 goals.

Will he be the greatest ever Liverpool player ? (Considering what he’s already done)

arthurka

Love Mo Salah as a player and he seems a nice bloke too.
His form is off the charts though.

Glad we ain´t playing them again soon.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Salah - 15 goals and 5 assists in 12 games
Benzema - 11 goals and 8 assists in 12 games
Lewandowski - 15 goals and 1 assist in 12 games

Mental numbers to start the season. Those are only CL and League games for all 3

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Would be nice to see which previous winners had winning the Copa as the primary reason of winning it.
His case is more being the champion as the top scorer, top assister and best player, not just ‘winning the Copa’ (never actually happened before in any international
tournament ever to the best of my knowledge). In addition to his usual numbers across the board for the year and some great goals. Not a lock, but it’s a good case IMO.

slored1

He was not even trying yesterday and still scored a hattrick. Made a fool out of Shaw

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Interestingly that was quite common in the window where Copa winners were eligible to win the Ballon D'Or, from the mid-90s through to 2009. Brazil won the Copa in 1997, 1999 and 2007 and each time their best player also won the Ballon (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Kaka).

Having said that, I don't think that was the primary reason these players won the award. They all won club trophies and were the best player in European competition during the year. Where they differ from Messi this year, is that they combined domestic and international success.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Salah - 15 goals and 5 assists in 12 games
Benzema - 11 goals and 8 assists in 12 games
Lewandowski - 15 goals and 1 assist in 12 games

Mental numbers to start the season. Those are only CL and League games for all 3
Bayern has such an anti-competitive advantage over the rest of Bundesliga that Lewandowki's numbers will never have the same weight as the others you mentioned.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bayern has such an anti-competitive advantage over the rest of Bundesliga that Lewandowki's numbers will never have the same weight as the others you mentioned.
I was going to add that caveat but the BDL will be in to tell you how amazing he is in the CL — which is kind of true and all but, still…

Bearded One

People try to downplay Lewa’s numbers forgetting that his insane numbers are also there for all to see in the champions league, a common ground for Europe’s elite.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool

Will he be the greatest ever Liverpool player ? (Considering what he’s already done)

Nope.
Dalglish has done way more. Gerrard has won things with poor teams, and carried the team.
If he wins another league title and a UCL, I think he gets inside Top Ten.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Nope.
Dalglish has done way more. Gerrard has won things with poor teams, and carried the team.
If he wins another league title and a UCL, I think he gets inside Top Ten.
He’s already Top 10 given his record and what he’s won. Breaking club records and winning the biggest trophies. Unquestionably one of the all time greats.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
People try to downplay Lewa’s numbers forgetting that his insane numbers are also there for all to see in the champions league, a common ground for Europe’s elite.
It doesn't change the facts about the Bundesliga though. It's just not even close to the competitiveness of other leagues. Invoking his CL record is a complete red herring meant to distract from that fact.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Incredibly, he’s entering that conversation. To do what he’s doing in the league and in Europe against all-comers. Few have had such an impact - even with Liverpool’s history.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He really is, it’s not just the goals it’s the passing and dribbling which have gone up another notch this season. He’s scored goals in previous seasons but sometimes looked loose with the ball. This season he’s just been sublime in every aspect

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He’s already Top 10 given his record and what he’s won. Breaking club records and winning the biggest trophies. Unquestionably one of the all time greats.
Aye, I'd probably say top 5-6 now. Would certainly make an all-time Liverpool XI. I think greatest player ever might be beyond his reach given 1-2 others married long careers with Liverpool whilst also hitting top 3 Ballon D'Or territory at their best.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be interesting to see how this late year form turns the votes for the Balon dOr. Lewandowski should still win it easily for me given Messi's tough start at PSG while Lewandowski has continued his form from last season. Salah wasn't amazing at the end of last season so can't give him the award based on a few seasons of great form, while his competitors have continued their great form as well.

Messi Lewandowski and Salah/Benzema might be the top 3.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Nah, he'd have to stay at Liverpool for at least 5 more years while keeping these numbers up and consistently win things to be able to be called our greatest ever player.

Ronaldo (just guessing here) won everything he could've won at United but isn't even in the conversation (correct me if I'm wrong), just because of the longevity side of it.

Salah is well on his way to put himself clear of our other recent great strikers like Torres and Suarez though, which in itself is an incredible feat. Would probably already make an all-time Liverpool XI and when all is said and done he could be one of our all-time greats. Greatest ever, I'd say he won't achieve that just because he'll eventually leave or regress to the mean.

Bearded One

It doesn't change the facts about the Bundesliga though. It's just not even close to the competitiveness of other leagues. Invoking his CL record is a complete red herring meant to distract from that fact.
You were actually implying that the “poor” state of the Buli is what skews Lewa’s numbers and so I had to bring in the UCL which is the most level playing field for Europe’s elite to show that the guy is a top class striker, Buli or no Buli. He’s been doing the business whilst at Dortmund many many years back and he always ranks amongst the best finishers in Europe year in year out. I do not even agree with you that the Buli is not close in terms of competitiveness to other leagues but that’s another matter.

I know Bayern is heads and shoulders ahead of the competition but after them who’s next? That’s a bit harder to figure. If Buli’s number two and three ranked teams face Serie A’s second and third teams or Liguria , I am not going to bet on the outcome favoriting the Italians or French.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
What leagues?

I can only think about PL being better than Bundesliga right now, no way current Serie A and La Liga are better...and i don't even need to mention Ligue 1.

If Bayern moves to Spain, Italy, and France Lewandowski would be scoring for fun there as well.

Which are the "other" leagues (plural) that right now are way more competitive than Bundesliga?

Ukraine? Russia? Netherlands? Belgium?

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb

In terms of ability and quality of performances over his Liverpool career I'd say he's probably in the conversation already, with perhaps Dalglish, Rush, Gerrard and Suarez his main competition.

In terms of winning stuff he's a way off still. The Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s can conjure a full XI of players who won at least 3 European Cups and at least 4 league titles, and several more who won at least 2 of each.