Mo Salah

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
True, but it's like asking would Aguero be as prolific if he played all his career for Chelsea instead of City? I'm sure both our natural instincts tell us yes he would.
Not really tbh, Salah (and Aguero) has been in a pretty stable environment at Liverpool in comparison to what Chelsea have gone throughout the years, they would still score a lot but I doubt as highly as for their current clubs.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
True, but it's like asking would Aguero be as prolific if he played all his career for Chelsea instead of City? I'm sure both our natural instincts tell us yes he would.
Not really good comparission, Salah has been in two clubs before and didn't do anywhere near as close as Aguero did over the years for City and Atletico. Also City wasn't that great when Aguero jpined them either.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not really good comparission, Salah has been in two clubs before and didn't do anywhere near as close as Aguero did over the years for City and Atletico. Also City wasn't that great when Aguero jpined them either.
All fair points by you and kouroux. Aguero had a few stars when he joined City (Yaya, Kolo, Vincent, Dzeko, Tevez, Silva). Salah had a good team too obviously.

Salah did really well for Roma which led to our ridiculous (at the time) bid for a 'failed' ex-Chelsea player. It's not what both these players did at previous clubs, it's what their actual potential is/was. I think the record books are showing the evidences of that potential. Neither player are one trick ponies or one season wonders. Both would have excelled Chelsea to further trophies of which I have no doubt.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
On course to top the scoring charts for a third year running.
Yes, scores goals at an almost unprecedented rate as per the stats. Occasionally his first touch is ridiculous - many times it's absolute trash and he rushes through things and makes poor passes/choices, and yet still racks up a good number of assists.
Like I said, a very bizarre/weird player and I can't remember a top class player being so infuriating.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
All fair points by you and kouroux. Aguero had a few stars when he joined City (Yaya, Kolo, Vincent, Dzeko, Tevez, Silva). Salah had a good team too obviously.

Salah did really well for Roma which led to our ridiculous (at the time) bid for a 'failed' ex-Chelsea player. It's not what both these players did at previous clubs, it's what their actual potential is/was. I think the record books are showing the evidences of that potential. Neither player are one trick ponies or one season wonders. Both would have excelled Chelsea to further trophies of which I have no doubt.
I am not denying that Salah is excellent players these past few years, but pretty sure his peak years started later than Aguero's. Aguero was already excellent player even when he was 18-20 years old. It's not just bad management with Salah at Chelsea, he simply wasn't anywhere near player he is now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yes, scores goals at an almost unprecedented rate as per the stats. Occasionally his first touch is ridiculous - many times it's absolute trash and he rushes through things and makes poor passes/choices, and yet still racks up a good number of assists.
Like I said, a very bizarre/weird player and I can't remember a top class player being so infuriating.
Think you're being a bit over the top here. His touch is generally very good.

He is also absolutely relentless and never gives a defence any rest.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Interesting to see the amount of shots he's taken and his conversion rate, I think it would be on the low end compared to other top strikers.

Not that he's not a great player but I think compared to Aguero, I would pick the Argentine as my striker.

Kappa123

Imagine 2008-2014 Messi with barely any quality and no consistency. That's him. Easily the worst world-class player in recent memory, but it gets covered up by the stat sheets.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Imagine 2008-2014 Messi with barely any quality and no consistency. That's him. Easily the worst world-class player in recent memory, but it gets covered up by the stat sheets.
Something of a paradox there

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Lest we forget this genius, he's just played his hundredth game for us and scored his 70th goal.

1. Alan Shearer (Blackburn Rovers) – 79 goals
2. Mo Salah (Liverpool) – 70 goals
3. Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) – 68 goals
4. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City) – 64 goals
5. Fernando Torres (Liverpool) – 63 goals
In a generation where we've had Aguero as a rightfully acclaimed world class player in the PL, to think Salah is THE PL all time top scorer in a 38 game season and wiped the floor with Kun's first 100 (when he tended to remain injury free) games record. Madness. Imagine the other records he would have broken if he was kept on at Chelsea as a younger man.
Does 6 extra goals really mean he "wiped the floor" with Aguero's record?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's obviously a very good player but one of those who is more about the statistics than anything else, and one I'd expect to suffer more at another club. Like many others, I think Mane is better as are many players with lesser stats. Needless to say that I don't think he's close to Aguero was at his best.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Considering Aguero has taken a lot more pens than Salah I'd say it does mean he wiped the floor. I do get the criticism of the bottom level of his game, there are infuriating mistakes he makes/times where he's dispossessed that you don't see other world class players do. But the numbers combined with him not being a set piece taker speak for themselves

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Considering Aguero has taken a lot more pens than Salah I'd say it does mean he wiped the floor. I do get the criticism of the bottom level of his game, there are infuriating mistakes he makes/times where he's dispossessed that you don't see other world class players do. But the numbers combined with him not being a set piece taker speak for themselves
Oooh, good points. I hadn't even considered penalties. Wonder how we can derive each players' goal types in those 100 games?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Oooh, good points. I hadn't even considered penalties. Wonder how we can derive each players' goal types in those 100 games?
So I looked it up on transfermarkt.

Aguero's 64 goals surprisingly consisted an insignificant 6 penalties. :eek:

Salah shockingly has more, 7 penalties in his 70 goals.

But Shearer, wow, 15 penalties make up his 79 goals total. :eek:

MrPooni

Andy Cole has a better scoring record than Shearer if penalties aren't included.
Shearer's numbers are still pretty insane considering the closest he got to playing to an elite club side was a financially doped up Blackburn.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
What a weird tweet.

Luis Suarez. And this is a Suarez who is nowhere near the player he was from about 2012-2018.

Also clearly Immobile. And just about half of everyone on that list..

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Still an excellent player but he has become so selfish, I would say he cost Liverool tonight. His game is all about him finishing the attacks, even when he passes he goes mostly for one-two that will put him in shooting position.

He is also very unlikeable, even during the tough duels he makes sure his image is still where it is, playing with his sleeves over his palms for some reason in every situation, not making big emotional interactions with his teammates, not even celebrating goals like he cares, etc. Ridiculous complaints, I know, but to be the most unlikeable player with XI Atletico players on the pitch takes something special.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Thought he was outstanding last night - consistently opened them up and created chances, both for himself and others. Was our only genuine threat as Mane couldn't deal with Trippier and Firmino was off his game. Needed a top quality finish to seal it, but his overall game was world class.

Brightonian

Thought he was outstanding last night - consistently opened them up and created chances, both for himself and others. Was our only genuine threat as Mane couldn't deal with Trippier and Firmino was off his game. Needed a top quality finish to seal it, but his overall game was world class.
Created chances constantly. Incredibly disappointing finishing though, which really was true of the whole team. I don't think you can call a striker's performance world class when his finishing was that poor.

Thisistheone

I Agree, thought he was superb. Showed courage to want the ball all night long. They couldn't cope with him tbh & on another night he has 1 or 2 goals to his name.

That one dribble in the second half where he beat two or three men cutting in and then drilled the shot just to high, reminded me a little of peak Robben or Ribery for Bayern. You know what they're gonna do but you just can't stop them.

Last edited:

thepolice123

Thought he was one of their better players. Was a constant threat and gave Altetico major problems on the right. Certainly better than Mane who was pretty wasteful and kept trying the bicycle kick.

Mike Smalling

It was a bit of a mixed bag from him yesterday, I thought. At times he was very threatening on the right and created a number of chances, but other times he was extremely wasteful with his passing and had some bad touches as well. No doubt he stood out more than Mane or Firmino, even though the latter scored.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I Agree, thought he was superb. Showed courage to want the ball all night long. They couldn't cope with him tbh & on another night he has 1 or 2 goals to his name.

That one dribble in the second half where he beat two or three men cutting in and then drilled the shot just to high, reminded me a little of peak Robben or Ribery for Bayern. You know what they're gonna do but you just can't stop them.
Reminded me of Giggs.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Was THE reason atletico madrid's defence struggled as badly as they did

Whether you consider that a great performance or not is up to you, but he was the most impactful player on the pitch, together with the goalkeepers, wjnaldum and llorente

Thought his all around game was great last night, one of the best games I've seen him play this season excluding his finishing. Too often this year defenders have been able to isolate him with his back to goal where he struggles to link up and create on the dribble. He had Lodi on skates all night.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Pretty sure Simeone set up the team to mark Mane far tighter than Salah, he had so much space the entire game in comparision with Mane who didn't get few useful passes the entire game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Pretty sure Simeone set up the team to mark Mane far tighter than Salah, he had so much space the entire game in comparision with Mane who didn't get few useful passes the entire game.
Nah, liverpool's gameplan clearly was to try and isolate one of salah or mane on the wing with his defender and hope either guy could start consistently beating his man and force the defence to tilt towards him. Salah was simply much more effective against lodi and koke than mane was against trippier and correa, so liverpool went to salah

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I thought he can't look more cnutish but he convinced me otherwise.