Mo Salah

Suedesi

I mean, I like Mane', I think he's a good player and all, but never as good as Salah. No idea why people insist on comparing the two, it's not fair on Sadio.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Salah so good.

Poor Man Utd fans, might have to wait for him to play for Egypt to see him failing (cause Egypt is rubbish)...he clearly won't at Liverpool.
He is so good man.

Must be a pain for Man Utd fans watching him win stuff with Liverpool, they have to wait for him to play for Egypt so he doesn't win anything (cause Egypt it's way too rubbish).
You posted this in two threads now; it really wasn't such a good WUM.

What team do you support btw?

Bearded One

For the umpteenth time, Mane' was/is never as good as Salah. One is pure class the other is a hard working, good forward. If ever a striker/forward is described as having great work rate that means he doesn't score enough or doesn't have enough qualities in front goal. Messi, Neymar, Salah, Cristiano, Lewandowski, Benzema, Mbappe and players of that ilk are never described as hard working - they do the goals/assists moments of magic do the talking. The donkeys that run around are hard working.
Mane is much more than a hardworking forward though. Man has a great amount of flair too and scores a shed load too. I mean Mane Vs Salah was a very popular debate then and whilst personally I have always rated Salah the better player, there was little between them before Mane “fell off a cliff.” In fact I would say that Mane had a very big shout of Liverpool’s best player (VVD gets my nod in this regard, persoanlly) in their champions league victory.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You posted this in two threads now; it really wasn't such a good WUM.

What team do you support btw?
He obviously supports Liverpool. Look at his posting history.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Salah is good, he might even win the Ballon D'or, but he doesn't move with the grace of great players like Zidane, Messi, Maradona, etc. More like Theo Walcott with a pair of balls.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do we tend to go for players that have failed in the PL once already?

Suedesi

Mane is much more than a hardworking forward though. Man has a great amount of flair too and scores a shed load too. I mean Mane Vs Salah was a very popular debate then and whilst personally I have always rated Salah the better player, there was little between them before Mane “fell off a cliff.” In fact I would say that Mane had a very big shout of Liverpool’s best player (VVD gets my nod in this regard, persoanlly) in their champions league victory.
I personally think Liverpool are an overrated team, with VVD being the biggest lump of overrated shite. The English media has made him into the second coming of Baresi and Beckenbauer, but I just don't see it. Functional midfield, great fullbacks, two hardworking forwards and a genius upfront - that's Liverpool to me in a nutshell.

marktan

I mean, I like Mane', I think he's a good player and all, but never as good as Salah. No idea why people insist on comparing the two, it's not fair on Sadio.
I actually rated Mane higher before, he was capable of absolute moments of magic and had explosive dribbling pace. Like that goal against Bayern.. just pure natural ability. He was the one primarily beating players. The problem is the work rate, Liverpool don't rotate the forwards so Mane's been run into the ground. Now there's no comparison between the two because Mane's lost a fair bit of his on the ball touch and acceleration.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Talked about this in the other thread. The fact that they were close says more about how good peak Mane is/was.

They were pretty close at one point. Right down to them sharing the topscorer title in the premier league one season. Mane at his best was amazing.

I think Salah suffered in those comparisons due to Mane steadily ascending to world class levels, whilst Salah descended from Balon D'or level to 'merely' world class. And of course, Salah got called greedy whilst ignoring how good he was (and is) in the buildup and how many assists he gets. Also never really got credit for carrying us through some bad periods for the whole team, scoring goals through sheer perseverance and attacking intensity (last season included).

Last season, Salah was one of the few in our team who kept a high level whilst Mane fell off a cliff. Mane is still recovering, whilst Salah is getting back to Balon D'or levels.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
For the umpteenth time, Mane' was/is never as good as Salah. One is pure class the other is a hard working, good forward. If ever a striker/forward is described as having great work rate that means he doesn't score enough or doesn't have enough qualities in front goal. Messi, Neymar, Salah, Cristiano, Lewandowski, Benzema, Mbappe and players of that ilk are never described as hard working - they do the goals/assists moments of magic do the talking. The donkeys that run around are hard working.
Mane obviously had lots of moments of magic and Benzema was regularly described as hard working, particularly around the time when he could only manage 5 league goals in a season…which also happened to be the season they won their 3rd consecutive CL.

Having players with magic in their boots that can also act as foils for other exceptional players (Ronaldo, Salah) is pretty common in the most successful teams of all time. Luis Suarez played that critical role in Barca’s treble in 2015. Eto’o played that critical role in both Barca and Inter’s trebles. Lots of magic and even more running around. It’s pretty silly to ignore the importance of contributing to a team’s balance…in a team game.

Moby

Dick
I actually rated Mane higher before, he was capable of absolute moments of magic and had explosive dribbling pace. Like that goal against Bayern.. just pure natural ability. He was the one primarily beating players. The problem is the work rate, Liverpool don't rotate the forwards so Mane's been run into the ground. Now there's no comparison between the two because Mane's lost a fair bit of his on the ball touch and acceleration.
Mane had a lot of natural ability at Soton as well, if you compare best goals Salah and Mane have scored it won't be a lot between them, but Salah does it a lot more consistently which makes him superior. In simple words, when Salah has the ball at the edge of the box, even with 2-3 players ahead of him, I'm think he's going to beat them or score a curler. In case of Mane, I'm not usually that worried.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He’s so good and on such a roll they gave him the first goal yesterday.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's incredible that posters lile this are let through the newbies.
Just to point out that, as a newbie, they have not made it through the newbies phase yet. ;) But let's leave it at this and go back to the thread topic.

Summit

I don't support Liverpool, they are kinda overrated, snd didn't deserve to win today.

However Salah isn't overrated, he is world class
Who do you support then? Certainly not United.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Salah just has a level of inevitability to his game that Mane didn't/doesn't. A very good player at his best, but he's on the way down whilst Salah has near enough reached a new height.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Who do you support then? Certainly not United.
Not team in particular.

I have preference for some players (Messi,Benzema,Griezmann, Mbappé,Modric,etc) but that's about it.

Summit

Not team in particular.

I have preference for some players (Messi,Benzema,Griezmann, Mbappé,Modric,etc) but that's about it.
You forgot Salah...you know the player you come on a united forum and say things like "Must be a pain for Man Utd fans watching him win stuff with Liverpool"

WUM if I ever saw one. You won't last long pal, enjoy your wums

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He started in PL as another Jamie Vardy. A late bloomer, one time season wonder?.

He is really the best ever late bloomer. I cant think of any average player whose career got world class after age 26.

A underrated player, and he is more than just goals. He has clever movement and that allows additional space for his teammates.
Virgil van Dijk and Jaap Stam.

Suedesi

Mane obviously had lots of moments of magic and Benzema was regularly described as hard working, particularly around the time when he could only manage 5 league goals in a season…which also happened to be the season they won their 3rd consecutive CL.

Having players with magic in their boots that can also act as foils for other exceptional players (Ronaldo, Salah) is pretty common in the most successful teams of all time. Luis Suarez played that critical role in Barca’s treble in 2015. Eto’o played that critical role in both Barca and Inter’s trebles. Lots of magic and even more running around. It’s pretty silly to ignore the importance of contributing to a team’s balance…in a team game.
I am not ignoring the importance of 'workhorse' players in the chemistry of a winning team - the question was comparing Salah vs Mane' and in that context one's more important than the other. Klopp is not stupid in having Mane work his socks off and giving Salah a free role because he recognizes that one can have a bigger impact in front of goal than the other. Rooney was a great player for us, but compared to Ronaldo in 07-09 he was a tier below, so he had to put in a shift while Ronnie was strutting around... and Fergie and everybody else was ok with it because the Portuguezzer had the ability to score 42 goals a season or come up with outrageous plays that would decide the match. Doesn't mean Rooney was not a great player or fundamental to the team, it just means that compared to Cristiano he was more 'expendable'.

Same holds true in this case

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am not ignoring the importance of 'workhorse' players in the chemistry of a winning team - the question was comparing Salah vs Mane' and in that context one's more important than the other. Klopp is not stupid in having Mane work his socks off and giving Salah a free role because he recognizes that one can have a bigger impact in front of goal than the other. Rooney was a great player for us, but compared to Ronaldo in 07-09 he was a tier below, so he had to put in a shift while Ronnie was strutting around... and Fergie and everybody else was ok with it because the Portuguezzer had the ability to score 42 goals a season or come up with outrageous plays that would decide the match. Doesn't mean Rooney was not a great player or fundamental to the team, it just means that compared to Cristiano he was more 'expendable'.

The Rooney Ronaldo comparison is spot on, there was a time when Rooney vs Ronaldo was a valid argument until Ronaldo broke out. Also though same age, Rooney fizzled out earlier while Ronaldo stayed relevant

Suedesi

Sure, yeah. That’s the reason :rolleyes:
You've got a hard on for Mane - which is fine, he's a top player. He clearly wants to be the top dog and that's perfectly normal, most strikers want to top the charts, lead stats, and whatnot. Harry Kane swore on his daughter's life that he touched a goal-bound ball once just to add to his tally when he clearly didn't but hey.

Problem for Mane is he's just competing with a more talented and equally/more driven player and he just can't handle it. He'd be better off personally being the top dog in another team. Disagree?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You've got a hard on for Mane - which is fine, he's a top player. He clearly wants to be the top dog and that's perfectly normal, most strikers want to top the charts, lead stats, and whatnot. Harry Kane swore on his daughter's life that he touched a goal-bound ball once just to add to his tally when he clearly didn't but hey.

Problem for Mane is he's just competing with a more talented and equally/more driven player and he just can't handle it. He'd be better off personally being the top dog in another team. Disagree?
This is painful. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Bearded One

I personally think Liverpool are an overrated team, with VVD being the biggest lump of overrated shite. The English media has made him into the second coming of Baresi and Beckenbauer, but I just don't see it. Functional midfield, great fullbacks, two hardworking forwards and a genius upfront - that's Liverpool to me in a nutshell.
I think you’re seriously underrating Pool here they are a well oiled machine capable of winning the champions league again. All made possible by Klopp.

marktan

Mane had a lot of natural ability at Soton as well, if you compare best goals Salah and Mane have scored it won't be a lot between them, but Salah does it a lot more consistently which makes him superior. In simple words, when Salah has the ball at the edge of the box, even with 2-3 players ahead of him, I'm think he's going to beat them or score a curler. In case of Mane, I'm not usually that worried.
That's only recently. Previous to last season, Mane was the one I'd have more likely to beat players in front of him, whereas Salah was more of a finisher. The roles have reversed somewhat.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Yeah I don’t disagree with any of that, and I agree Salah is better. The point you made was simply that someone who’s described as hard working is someone who doesn’t score enough or have enough qualities in front of goal. One of those examples being Benzema. But then Benzema, like many other examples, was also hard working and top class. Your binary choice was imaginary.

spiriticon

Mo Salah is watching this defence and looking forward to bringing the match ball home on Sunday

Suedesi

I think you’re seriously underrating Pool here they are a well oiled machine capable of winning the champions league again. All made possible by Klopp.
Anything can happen - they got completely outplayed by Atletico for example but still emerged with three points. On the balance of probabilities I'd rate Bayern, City and PSG higher.

Bearded One

Anything can happen - they got completely outplayed by Atletico for example but still emerged with three points. On the balance of probabilities I'd rate Bayern, City and PSG higher.
Yes you’re correct. City, Bayern and PSG seem to be ahead and that’s why I said “they are capable” rather than “they are favourites.”

Atletico themselves are a very strong side so beating them in their turf is commendable.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Completely outplayed is strong. The opening 20min was the opposite. Atletico then emerged the better team before halftime. Then the game petered out due to the red.

Liverpool had a lot more possession, more shots, more corners.

It’s a reasonable call if you think A Madrid edged it but that’s possibly due to the order of goals. Liverpool were completely on top until Atletico scored a pretty lucky (arguably) offside goal.

Outplayed? Probably not.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
That's only recently. Previous to last season, Mane was the one I'd have more likely to beat players in front of him, whereas Salah was more of a finisher. The roles have reversed somewhat.
Yep. Salah as definitely improved a lot in that respect, the way he dribbles past players reminds me of peak messi! Now that's scary