Television Modern Family

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
South Park. Maybe animation is the exception.
Seems so.
Anyone got any theories why?

I reckon that actors get just as tired as the rest of us from wringing every last drop of humour out the various quirks in the character they play. Voice artists can probably get away with posting in their performances but it's impossible to find a script funny when you can actually see the haunted look in the eye of someone delivering a gag they don't believe in.

NOTE: This theory might well be a load of old bollox.

Dante

Average bang
Sitcoms aren't really all about being funny. The most important aspect is how endearing a show is, particularly as far as American TV is concerned. Characters and environments become less charming as time goes on.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Sitcoms aren't really all about being funny. The most important aspect is how endearing a show is, particularly as far as American TV is concerned. Characters and environments become less charming as time goes on.
This is a big deal. It's not just about the tickling of the funny bone.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Anyone got any theories why?

I reckon that actors get just as tired as the rest of us from wringing every last drop of humour out the various quirks in the character they play. Voice artists can probably get away with posting in their performances but it's impossible to find a script funny when you can actually see the haunted look in the eye of someone delivering a gag they don't believe in.

NOTE: This theory might well be a load of old bollox.
Not sure, I'd say the blame rests mainly with the writers, not so much actors and voice artists. And I don't think animation as a whole proves anything, off the top of my head South Park seems to be a bit of an exception (there's surely others, but not many I'd guess). I'd say Trey and Parker really matured (I know the choice of words is a bit weird considering it's South Park) as show writers as the years went on and also successfully included new secondary characters which became fan favourites (Butters, Randy of course who was very much peripheral in the first couple of seasons iirc)...

South Park also managed to remain relevant by moving to news based stories. The last few seasons, about 50% of a season's episodes concern a recent news event which they have fun with, I don't recall the first seasons being that news-oriented.

acnumber9

Yeah. There's generally an arc in comedy shows where the second or third seasons tend to be the peak, because these character quirks have been learned through the first season, and are now both developed by the writers and appreciated by the audience. After that they become more and more tiresome and cliched every season. Even if they're relatively good, and could've worked in earlier seasons, they're now lazy because they're boring and obvious, and probably derivative of something done better before.

If there's ever been a comedy in the history of TV that's better in it's 6th season than it's 2nd, I've never heard of it.*

*Disclaimer: Simpsons is the exception.
I'd say only Cheers comes close to maintaining it's consistency through it's run.

acnumber9

Not sure, I'd say the blame rests mainly with the writers, not so much actors and voice artists. And I don't think animation as a whole proves anything, off the top of my head South Park seems to be a bit of an exception (there's surely others, but not many I'd guess). I'd say Trey and Parker really matured (I know the choice of words is a bit weird considering it's South Park) as show writers as the years went on and also successfully included new secondary characters which became fan favourites (Butters, Randy of course who was very much peripheral in the first couple of seasons iirc)...

South Park also managed to remain relevant by moving to news based stories. The last few seasons, about 50% of a season's episodes concern a recent news event which they have fun with, I don't recall the first seasons being that news-oriented.
That creates it's own problem though in future years when people look back on it. It won't have close to enough longevity.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well I like Will and Grace & I'm not ashamed to deny admit it.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
It's almost a rule of comedy. Thou shalt get inexorably worse. Curb Your Enthusiasm was one of my favourite TV series of all time but my God it was poor by it's final season.

Interesting the way the same isn't true of drama. Is it harder to maintain standards in comedy than it is in drama?
I think he had run out of material. I was watching the earlier seasons any episode with him and Richard Lewis was comedy gold. I would say it had 4/5 good seasons for me. The last few were a step down. Very few shows of any genre keep the TOP quality up for more than 4 years, there always seems to be a drop off.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Bumping this cos Modern Family has carried on, and though it's pretty hit and miss, they recently had a very good episode based only on Apple devices (Macbook, iPhone and the apps) which worked really well.

Lily is still as dreadful as ever, though.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Naaaw, that episode where everyone is chatting online was the show's jump the shark moment.

I still watch it, we'll the Mrs does, it's ok but it hasn't got much legs left in it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Naaaw, that episode where everyone is chatting online was the show's jump the shark moment.

I still watch it, we'll the Mrs does, it's ok but it hasn't got much legs left in it.
'Jump the shark'? It was hardly extreme, the plot was no more silly than others, and the only originality was the way it was directed. I can get why someone wouldn't like it, but don't think it was a jump the shark moment. That would imply something excessively ridiculous, which this hardly was.

Agree it doesn't really have much legs left to it, but there are still some enjoyable episodes now and then.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Bumping this cos Modern Family has carried on, and though it's pretty hit and miss, they recently had a very good episode based only on Apple devices (Macbook, iPhone and the apps) which worked really well.

Lily is still as dreadful as ever, though.
Man they're still pimping those Apple products hard, huh?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Man they're still pimping those Apple products hard, huh?
At every given opportunity, yeah.

Recently watched all of it and it's one of the better comedies imo. Clear drop in quality in the past few seasons, but still hasn't dropped as far as HIMYM did! They'd be much better off with less lines from Lily - I genuinely have no idea what the show-runners are thinking here. She's obviously a terrible actor (yes, that's even by children's standard), but I guess they think it's cute somehow.. ???

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I guess they're more or less stuck with her. They got her at a very young age, when it was probably difficult to assess how good she was going to turn out, and yeah she's terrible. The thing is, her lines are fine and she'd actually be an amusing character if she could deliver them a bit more naturally.

I used to find Luke and Manny a bit shit, but overall they're ok. Probably no Academy awards going their way in the near or even distant future, but they're ok.

Agree the drop in quality isn't immense, not equatable to that of HIMYM (which had become a parody of itself by the end).

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I guess they're more or less stuck with her. They got her at a very young age, when it was probably difficult to assess how good she was going to turn out, and yeah she's terrible. The thing is, her lines are fine and she'd actually be an amusing character if she could deliver them a bit more naturally.
Sure, that's a problem when you cast a baby. But the obvious solution here would be to simply give her less lines. She doesn't have to say anything at all really - there's plenty of shows where characters of that age are just there for show and maybe has an occasional line.

Sylar

Season 7 returned.

Didnt have me laughing all the way through, but Phil is still one of my fav characters on TV.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Season 7 returned.

Didnt have me laughing all the way through, but Phil is still one of my fav characters on TV.
I only tuned in to see the younger daughter's small boobs.

Phil still the best. I just saw a re-run of the Godfather parody episode. Gold.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Find this show hilariously funny. It's on Sky catch up and I plan to run through each season.

Phil is remarkable, a really great guy in person too.

I think they all have their good qualities, I used to not be able to stand Claire, but I find her facial expressions and body language hilarious.

Sylar

Pepper is awesome haha.
I like the chemistry between Claire and Phil, esp when Claire looks at the camera after something stupid is said or done.

Sylar

I really enjoy the family dynamic. Jay, Cam and Phil are my fav three characters.

That house he was selling, lol.

Fergie's gum

Tried watching it for the first time the other day to see what all the fuss was about. Got through 10 minutes before switching off.
Still can't understand what all the fuss is about. And it's not that I don't enjoy sitcoms, it's just this particular type. This is 'Big Bang theory' lame but at a much higher frequency.
Is there anyone else out there who actually hates (yes, I genuinely hate) these quick-fire-gagathons? And for those who enjoy watching them, what is the appeal?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, I think Modern Family is as endearing as they come. It's more light-hearted entertainment than out and out comedy. An easy watch but has the quality of a top flight show.

Someone mentioned How I Met Your Mother. Again, an easy watch, but a horribly written, cliche-ridden show. Doesn't come close to Modern Family.

Name Changed

weso26
Tried watching it for the first time the other day to see what all the fuss was about. Got through 10 minutes before switching off.
Still can't understand what all the fuss is about. And it's not that I don't enjoy sitcoms, it's just this particular type. This is 'Big Bang theory' lame but at a much higher frequency.
Is there anyone else out there who actually hates (yes, I genuinely hate) these quick-fire-gagathons? And for those who enjoy watching them, what is the appeal?
How can you judge a show based on ten minutes of viewing?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Modern Family is one of those shows that after a few seasons starts to run out of ideas a bit and tries to hard, they push some the characters into extreme versions of their earlier selves. The early seasons were great though, it got a bit stale (but still funny at times around S4, but has since recovered again, no idea if they have new writers).

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Just started rewatching some of these on Netflix - still love the show!

Saw this one last night - love this bit!

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It is a class show.

Also that brunettes baps are starting to rival Sofia Vergara's :drool:

Think I read that she had a reduction actually.

Sylar

Still enjoy it. I did binge the first few seasons, which probably helped in my view of earlier seasons were better. But yeah, still get some laughs out of the show.

Donut

The last episode was the best one in a long while for me. Gloria's articulation and Jay's video for Manny especially :lol:

Sylar

WOah, been almost 3 years since there was a post in this thread. But caught up. Theres going to be a 11th and final season (probably around Sept based on recent years start time)

Modern Family is one of those shows that after a few seasons starts to run out of ideas a bit and tries to hard, they push some the characters into extreme versions of their earlier selves. The early seasons were great though, it got a bit stale (but still funny at times around S4, but has since recovered again, no idea if they have new writers).
It still has great moments, but it has to be right characters. Dont find Luke funny as he got older. Same with Lilly (although shes been used less and less).
I reckon next season being last is the right move.

Dante

Average bang
Series finale tonight.

As far as traditional family-type sitcoms go, I think Modern Family is up there amongst the best. I'm gonna miss it.

Sylar

Series finale tonight.

As far as traditional family-type sitcoms go, I think Modern Family is up there amongst the best. I'm gonna miss it.
Same. Really enjoyed the dynamic with the family. Phil always the GOAT.

Dante

Average bang
And it's leaked.

Which is a bit weird, because Modern Family is hardly the kind of show that normally leaks. But it is the finale...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will miss this show. Was on a downward spiral, but still was a good show