Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Did my post imply we’re not improving or that I’m not cheerful with the progress? How is any of that mutually exclusive with me lamenting us not getting quality players for cheap? Or that that’s “just” what I concentrate on? Moreover, do you imagine the exercise you engaged in with that post will be rejuvenating or something?

Move man. Stand on your own ten toes, you a man or a mouse? If reading a flippant remark on how we hardly take “risks” for clearly talented individuals in the transfer market gets you exhausted you might need a new routine. Post policing is crazy
Im crying.

TsuWave

Anyone know why we didn’t buy him for 4.5m when now he’s out of our price range?
I think we’re just timid when it comes to moves like that - then we pay a crazy premium.

At least with Alvarez I think the line at the time was that we didn’t have a permanent manager IIRC

The Urban Goose

So I'm reading we're going to be involved in the bidding war? Is he really the CM we lack? Haven't watched a lot of Brighton to be honest. Still feel like we lack an amazing dribbler in midfield, is he that guy?
Not a chance in hell are we bidding for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't want to derail the thread any further so I'll spoiler my reply:

United's player = player one
Arsenal's player = player two

I'm not familiar with the Everton players' story so I won't comment on that.

In short, I don't really agree, I believe that the context does matter.

There is a large difference between what had to happen with player one and player two.

As I pointed out there was visible evidence that the offending had occurred. There are also the recordings. United didn't have any choice but to stand him down based on the images and recordings.

He was subsequently charged too.

In player two's case it's his word vs her word.

There is no solid evidence, there is only her messages to him and a friend following the alleged incident (where he did not admit to anything). Unfortunately even if it did definitely occur those messages are not enough to initiate charges.

Make no mistake - I'm not defending player two in any way and I was vocal in wanting him out of the club once I had read her messages. I am also commenting only on the incident that was reported in June 2022.

I understand the UK system is different to the Australian one however, so I believed that if someone was on bail then they had already been charged with the relevant offence(s). However it seems that charges don't have to be issued and served in order to be put on bail over there in the UK. This seems to be what had happened in this case.

If he was charged then I would have expected the club to do the right thing and stand him down until the matter was resolved in Court.

But I am against having a player stood down if no Criminal Charges have been issued, even if there is still an investigation going on in the background.

I may be missing something here with the UK Judicial process so I am open to being enlightened.
The issue with that is United and Everton suspended their players immediately and well before any charges. There’s pre charge and post charge bail in the UK.

Your time line is out somewhat.

The Urban Goose

I think we’re just timid when it comes to moves like that - then we pay a crazy premium.

At least with Alvarez I think the line at the time was that we didn’t have a permanent manager IIRC
I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in the background that we, as a PLC with all its reporting obligations, couldn't get involved with.

Judas

Open to offers

I’d agree we don’t seem to make these cheaper more interesting punts nearly enough. We always seem to end up paying a massive premium when we’re involved in high potential youngster signings.

croadyman

That happens with poor scouting and recruitment

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
For half the price of what Brighton want for Caicedo, either Arsenal or ourselves could probably go to Gladbach and sign Koné who is the same age and I’d argue a better player. Strange how nobody has tried to get him as an alternative.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
For half the price of what Brighton want for Caicedo, either Arsenal or ourselves could probably go to Gladbach and sign Man Utd Koné who is the same age and I’d argue a better player. Strange how nobody has tried to get him as an alternative.
Wow, his parents must be massive fans.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh yeah definitely.. £64m for Cucurella.. I wonder who took advantage of who?...
How did Brighton take advantage? Did they misrepresent what Cucurella could do somehow? Nobody forced Chelsea to bid for him at all, let alone bid that sum?

Robindinho

I was joking, I know it’s multiple agents that scared all the big sides off, probably all questioning now how they do business better in those markets
Poor recruitment team/not thoroughly scouted, so probably thought it's not worth the hassle. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to save face with the agent story.

Brighton managed it easily enough.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He'll be gone on deadline day. No point in keeping him now.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
How did Brighton take advantage? Did they misrepresent what Cucurella could do somehow? Nobody forced Chelsea to bid for him at all, let alone bid that sum?
How did Chelsea take advantage of Brighton then? Did they force Brighton to sell?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poor recruitment team/not thoroughly scouted, so probably thought it's not worth the hassle. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to save face with the agent story.

Brighton managed it easily enough.
Only because they had existing relations with those agents

United have usually walked away where there are multiple agents involved.

he was scouted after recommendation by Antonio Valencia.

Remember he was far from the finished article too when he arrived, it took a while for him to make the Brighton team.

You can’t win them all.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How did Chelsea take advantage of Brighton then? Did they force Brighton to sell?
I didn't say Chelsea took advantage of Brighton?

I think Brighton got fair prices for those 2 other players (as they did with Bissouma and Trossard considering the contract situations). My reply was to the poster who seems to think they should just accept whatever any bigger club comes in and says, because they're not going to win 3 CLs/league titles so what's the point of them?

redcucumber

Did my post imply we’re not improving or that I’m not cheerful with the progress? How is any of that mutually exclusive with me lamenting us not getting quality players for cheap? Or that that’s “just” what I concentrate on? Moreover, do you imagine the exercise you engaged in with that post will be rejuvenating or something?

Move man. Stand on your own ten toes, you a man or a mouse? If reading a flippant remark on how we hardly take “risks” for clearly talented individuals in the transfer market gets you exhausted you might need a new routine. Post policing is crazy
:lol: :houllier: random.

Lee565

Brighton are the new Southampton during that period when they had the likes of potch, dijk, mane etc..

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Can't see it happening unfortunately.

Edu better sign a good midfielder before the window shuts.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
1. If you pay peanuts, and they perform, fans then start the gloating that they unearthed a gem and got a great player at cut price.
but then if they don't perform well, you can always convince yourself, ah well, that's what we paid for anyway.

Then again, when the club spends peanuts, and even though a rare gem is found, fans also argue - why the club is skint and not spending enough money on the big name signings (Look, i don't think the Glazers are being stingy here, considering they backed ETH at the start of the season, but still being in a stage of transition, they're probably thinking that the current team needs to prove themselves further in a more sustained fashion before blowing another wad again).

2. Conversely, spend big, they don't perform, fans then get annoyed with the club saying how they have a poor scouting team/spent poorly etc etc.
Though some clubs seem to have money enough where such mistakes aren't that detrimental (ie: they can go out and throw the same silly money at the next 'better' player.

But in this scenario, fans then clamour why the club spent so much money on big flops and couldn't find cheap targets that could blossom.

bottomline, you can't satisfy everybody and someone's always got something to complain about.
Much like an Asian wedding - there's always a critic around.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Can't see it happening unfortunately.

Edu better sign a good midfielder before the window shuts.
Here in Spain it is said that Zubimendi will go to Arsenal for €60M in summer.

Renegade

He didn't, he joined last Jan.

It's still a job at the end of the day, you can't force someone to stay somewhere and you shouldn't be able to as well.
The flip side to that is a Phil Jones whose contract has protected him. Why shouldn’t a contract protect the club too?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
We have been linked with him for two weeks now. To be honest I don't care about any potential summer moves, we need a quality midfielder right now.

BlueHaze

State of some of you! :lol:

Comes as no surprise as a large portion of fans are clueless and only parrot the views and opinions of others without ever thinking about things rationally. Not a single one of these players want to stay at these clubs once a bigger club comes calling. Two decades ago they would go for £10m but now instead the smaller clubs are getting nearly £70m a piece for anyone.. Because bigger clubs are daft enough to constantly throw those sums around.

This idiotic transfer policy that this sport has been swept in is a big reason many of these lesser clubs even survive in a time where many of these clubs are going through financial issues. They sign players for very low fees and sell them for astronomical fees. They make massive profits and it only benefits them as I said earlier in the post every single one of those players have amibitions to play for bigger clubs anyway and don't want to stay at these clubs no matter how you spin it. The moment a big clubs come calling they all either put in transfer requests or goes on a strike. Here we have Brighton whom if they sell Caicedo have cashed in nearly £200m from 3 player sales but according to some it is sad...

I assume you were also sad for Leicester when they got £80m for Maguire? Let's have a minute of silence for them..

Giggsyking

When Antony did this he wasn’t a little cnut though was he.
Yes he was. But according to Ten Hag, Antony told Ajax in February he is leaving in the summer and they knew that. They were gready and I think both should be blamed how it went.

BlueHaze

Yes he was. But according to Ten Hag, Antony told Ajax in February he is leaving in the summer and they knew that. They were gready and I think both should be blamed how it went.
I think when a player is under contract with a club going on a strike and not showing up for training when a bigger club makes a bid is very unprofessional and only the players can be held responsible for that not the clubs.

But it is a part of modern football, the sense of entitlement and unprofessionalism so it comes as absolutely no surprise and actually is becoming something common..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Love the captain hindsight lot saying why didn't we go in when he was cheaper.
Do they say that for the 50-60 players signed by prem clubs each year who don't then show they're outstanding?

Do they moan when we actually do get in on someone, but then loan them down the tiers?
It's not as easy on championship manager.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
He is a cracking player, both Barca and Real were linked with him as well. He is very similar to busqets. It's a shame he don't want to move in Jan, in summer there will be other teams in the mix as well.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
He is a cracking player, both Barca and Real were linked with him as well. He is very similar to busqets. It's a shame he don't want to move in Jan, in summer there will be other teams in the mix as well.
He is a player who plays at the first touch and very good positionally.
Xavi asked to sign him this summer but Barcelona does not have FFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.