Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
That’s not what really happened is it. Both sides were pissed with how your team conducted itself in the market. You were publicly outed for it by one of them. The other you want to deflect the blame to the player.

On the flip side of that, both of these clubs have come out recently with high praise of Todd Boehly. None of it involving money by the way (although yes, it probably goes a long way).

I get that you only had X amount of money to spend in the market but you clearly tried some dark art persuasion to get the most for that money. Denying it is like me denying that my club overspent in 2 windows.
Of course they’re happy with Todd Boehly. He gave them the terms he wanted for Mudryk and dropped £62m on Cucarella. If I was Shaktar or Brighton I’d happily praise him, too.

Also, it’s possible that Chelsea hasn’t overspent. If your signings are successful and as a result the club doubles in value over the next decade, it really won’t matter that you smashed a few transfer records to do it.

I don’t have a problem with Chelsea’s spending. Or Shaktar’s sale. Or Brighton refusing to sell. Each club did what they thought was in their own interests.

I’m just saying that offering £70m for Caicedo was hardly “dark arts”. It was a business proposal that was refused. I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

croadyman

He's a complete midfielder. Reads the game very well, elite physically, brilliant tackler, very good passer and shot on his right foot. He'd be a great addition to any midfield. Would love to have him play for us.
Do you not think we need more of a progressive CM like De Jong,mind you don't see him wanting to leave and haven't see a backup who can offer those same attributes

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Do you not think we need more of a progressive CM like De Jong,mind you don't see him wanting to leave and haven't see a backup who can offer those same attributes
IMHO
United would be best identifying a Casemiro clone with a younger age as a Summer transfer. Then identifying a physical younger player with Ericksen's skill set as the next. Than insisting on chasing a player who is determined to never play for us

NoPace

Is he really a special talent? Definitely looks good but he’s never looked incredible when I’ve watched Brighton. Rather a great tackler and neat and tidy otherwise. Maybe I need to watch more of him.
The question mark for him would be are he and Casemiro creative enough passers to play as a double pivot here, but I think as long as we got a really quality RB going forward, a passing keeper and a #9 it would work really nicely, so add the rumoured Frimpong and one of Ramos/Kane/Osimhen up top and we'd be absurdly well balanced as a first XI. And we'd have Sabitzer-Caicedo and Eriksen-Caicedo as talented, nicely balanced pairings when Casemiro is out or resting.

A great, mobile tackler who's neat and tidy at 21 and shown signs going forward is a perfect player for us to add. Particularly since he moves well without the ball and could give us some 3rd man runs with the link up "slow, slow, fast" style Ten Hag has introduced to us.

Is he special? I'm not 100% sure, but he looks as safe a CM signing as Carrick did that year he was really quality for Spurs before joining us. Wins his area of the pitch consistently and without looking clumsy like a Schneiderlin, all you can really ask for of a 21 year old player.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think a midfield base of Caicedo and Casemiro is so solid and multifunctional that it surpasses the De Jong Casemiro midfield which has more defined roles. ETH has spoken about his love of tactical flexibility and how he likes to use it to confuse opponents. With Bruno as the third midfielder we probably have the most defensively solid midfield in Europe. De Jong is talented but there will be question marks over how he adjusts to a new league. We definitely need one of them or Bellingham in the summer.

croadyman

IMHO
United would be best identifying a Casemiro clone with a younger age as a Summer transfer. Then identifying a physical younger player with Ericksen's skill set as the next. Than insisting on chasing a player who is determined to never play for us
So Caicedo to replace Casa long term,any ideas on that younger player to replace Eriksen?

croadyman

The question mark for him would be are he and Casemiro creative enough passers to play as a double pivot here, but I think as long as we got a really quality RB going forward, a passing keeper and a #9 it would work really nicely, so add the rumoured Frimpong and one of Ramos/Kane/Osimhen up top and we'd be absurdly well balanced as a first XI. And we'd have Sabitzer-Caicedo and Eriksen-Caicedo as talented, nicely balanced pairings when Casemiro is out or resting.

A great, mobile tackler who's neat and tidy at 21 and shown signs going forward is a perfect player for us to add. Particularly since he moves well without the ball and could give us some 3rd man runs with the link up "slow, slow, fast" style Ten Hag has introduced to us.

Is he special? I'm not 100% sure, but he looks as safe a CM signing as Carrick did that year he was really quality for Spurs before joining us. Wins his area of the pitch consistently and without looking clumsy like a Schneiderlin, all you can really ask for of a 21 year old player.
So presume you mean bring in Caicedo AND make Sabitzer permanent in the summer or have I misinterpreted things. I did notice it emphasised the words younger midfielder when Luckhurst tweeted about transfers on Tuesday.

NoPace

So presume you mean bring in Caicedo AND make Sabitzer permanent in the summer or have I misinterpreted things. I did notice it emphasised the words younger midfielder when Luckhurst tweeted about transfers on Tuesday.
I just think Sabitzer will do well and it will work out so he'll stay, though you could argue that Sancho-Fred-Caicedo as backups in CM is good enough. I doubt we'll spend what Arsenal/Chelsea will on Caicedo so I think it's moot. Rice to the other, Bellingham to Madrid and then we're either De Jong or just buying a young DM like Onana (and if they have to sell him anyways, they'd also probably be happy to sell to us for equal with the highest bid and get Amad on loan for example for a year, whether desperate for promotion in the Champo or trying to avoid a relegation scrap in the Prem next year), keep Sabitzer and use him more than expected there and then in 2024 just move Fred on and sign say Edson Alvarez with a year to go on his deal.

A name we never talk about but I could see making a lot of sense is Locatelli, if Juve has to sell. He's apparently not been great there, but has looked it for Italy, is only 25, and I could see him backing up Casemiro and competing with Eriksen in the midfield. You'd probably want to keep Sabitzer and sell Fred for balance, but could be a solid plan B for us.

croadyman

I just think Sabitzer will do well and it will work out so he'll stay, though you could argue that Sancho-Fred-Caicedo as backups in CM is good enough. I doubt we'll spend what Arsenal/Chelsea will on Caicedo so I think it's moot. Rice to the other, Bellingham to Madrid and then we're either De Jong or just buying a young DM like Onana (and if they have to sell him anyways, they'd also probably be happy to sell to us for equal with the highest bid and get Amad on loan for example for a year, whether desperate for promotion in the Champo or trying to avoid a relegation scrap in the Prem next year), keep Sabitzer and use him more than expected there and then in 2024 just move Fred on and sign say Edson Alvarez with a year to go on his deal.

A name we never talk about but I could see making a lot of sense is Locatelli, if Juve has to sell. He's apparently not been great there, but has looked it for Italy, is only 25, and I could see him backing up Casemiro and competing with Eriksen in the midfield. You'd probably want to keep Sabitzer and sell Fred for balance, but could be a solid plan B for us.
Yeah just because it hasn't worked out for him at Juve doesn't mean it couldn’t here. My only issue with just bringing in young DM and not getting a De Jong/Barella could mean there's too much reliance on Eriksen for creativity.

NoPace

Yeah just because it hasn't worked out for him at Juve doesn't mean it couldn’t here. My only issue with just bringing in young DM and not getting a De Jong/Barella could mean there's too much reliance on Eriksen for creativity.
Yeah, the case for someone like Caicedo, De Jong or Locatelli is that they have played well as both 8s and 6s so we'd have someone to compete with Eriksen (and Bruno since Eriksen can play as a 10) and back up Casemiro.

So Caicedo to replace Casa long term,any ideas on that younger player to replace Eriksen?
Any one from the group of Sabitzer, Tielemans, Alexis MacCalister or Kenneth Taylor will do, in my view. My ideal guy would be Barella (since I feel we have zero hope of convincing a Bellingham) but I'm not convinced he is the kind to desire to ever leave Italy.

Also ironically next summer would be the perfect time to target Declan Rice. He'd be gettable for a decent fee and would possibly be cheaper than Caicedo, since he'd have a year left.

Last edited:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Any one from the group of Sabitzer, Tielemans, Alexis MacCalister or Kenneth Taylor will do, in my view. My ideal guy would be Barella (since I feel we have zero hope of convincing a Bellingham) but I'm not convinced he is the kind to desire to ever leave Italy.

Also ironically next summer would be the perfect time to target Declan Rice. He'd be gettable for a decent fee and would possibly be cheaper than Caicedo, since he'd have a year left.
McAllister would be nice if he doesn't cost a fortune. Tielemans on a free as well. Kenneth Taylor absolutely not. He's struggling at Ajax, maybe in 3 years if he improves. Rice would be a good backup for Casemiro but not to be played as an Eriksen replacement IMO, so would probably end up too expensive for a bench player and the other alternatives would be better for us.

Caicedo would be more of a replacement/understudy than a partner for Casemiro. Clearly we could use both, but given one Brighton midfielder I'd choose MacAllister. Plus I bet he'd get on really well with Licha

Perseus

Caicedo would be more of a replacement/understudy than a partner for Casemiro. Clearly we could use both, but given one Brighton midfielder I'd choose MacAllister. Plus I bet he'd get on really well with Licha

Caicedo is a 10 year ever present for a top 4 club, miles ahead of Rice, Teilemans, MacAllister, Trossard etc.

McAllister would be nice if he doesn't cost a fortune. Tielemans on a free as well. Kenneth Taylor absolutely not. He's struggling at Ajax, maybe in 3 years if he improves. Rice would be a good backup for Casemiro but not to be played as an Eriksen replacement IMO, so would probably end up too expensive for a bench player and the other alternatives would be better for us.
Rice would be competition for Casemiro. Never a Partner. Same with a Caicedo.

Jeffthered

I hope we go for Onana from Everton. I think he has more potential
Yep. That guy has potential. Get him at OT and tell him to become one of the best in Europe.

Just proves that there are players out there, who you needn't spend zillions on. Why Brighton, and a pathetic Everton FC can spot these players, yet we can only consider players valued at crazy money, just confuses me. We need to do more to spot players, lower league players from across Europe. Manchester United should be good at this, one of the best at this in fact.

yamo123x

Would take Declan Rice all day over this guy. Ive said many times Rice is a true leader, and could be leading our midfield for next 10 years. Casemiro and paticularly Eriksen aint got more than 2/3 years left at top level so sellng MCT and buying Rice would be a smart move. Allowing Arsenal to get him would be a big mistake. Lets hope ARSENAL go back in for Caceido.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I hope we go for Onana from Everton. I think he has more potential
Problem is, we have seen these kind of players a a lot. I don't know if he has that creativity in him.

Schneiderlin was a better player for Southampton. Look how it turned out.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yep. That guy has potential. Get him at OT and tell him to become one of the best in Europe.

Just proves that there are players out there, who you needn't spend zillions on. Why Brighton, and a pathetic Everton FC can spot these players, yet we can only consider players valued at crazy money, just confuses me. We need to do more to spot players, lower league players from across Europe. Manchester United should be good at this, one of the best at this in fact.
You say that, but at the same time United cannot afford to throw unknown young players in to a team fighting for top 4/the league.

Everton/Brighton can afford to do that.

Just for a piece of interesting info, Brighton have had more duds than they have wins in regards to 'unknowns'

Look across the forum at how they treat Amad/Pellistri - Caicedo would have been written off on here MONTHS ago. The club would then be called all the names under the sun for buying unknowns.

RuudTom83

I think EtH would prefer another Eriksen clone or a FDJ more so than an out and out DM.

Plus I can't see EtH approving spending 50-70 million on any player who isn't technically very gifted.

croadyman

I think EtH would prefer another Eriksen clone or a FDJ more so than an out and out DM.

Plus I can't see EtH approving spending 50-70 million on any player who isn't technically very gifted.
Yeah and think he's right to want that

bosskeano

Onana was brilliant the other day against Arsenal breaking up play b/c he's most definitely not a creative player

Jeffthered

You say that, but at the same time United cannot afford to throw unknown young players in to a team fighting for top 4/the league.

Everton/Brighton can afford to do that.

Just for a piece of interesting info, Brighton have had more duds than they have wins in regards to 'unknowns'

Look across the forum at how they treat Amad/Pellistri - Caicedo would have been written off on here MONTHS ago. The club would then be called all the names under the sun for buying unknowns.
Don't agree. We'll be in the same position next season, I hope, so if we identify a good young player, we don't play him?

Or does he always need to be 'one of the most sought-after young players, valued at £100m...' bla, bla bla.

Thiagoal

Interesting. I wonder if there’s a buy out clause- there surely must be!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's a complete midfielder. Reads the game very well, elite physically, brilliant tackler, very good passer and shot on his right foot. He'd be a great addition to any midfield. Would love to have him play for us.
Wasn't this said about Schneiderlin, and we know how that worked out.

Thiagoal

I guess it makes sense for him to move to a lucrative contract. I think his previous one was very low for a player of his calibre and he needs the security in case he got a career ending injury in the next few months! Still expect him to move within 18 months

redNATION

Seems like a Liverpool signing once they miss out on Jude.
If Liverpool dont get top 4 or some new investment before the summer, they'll be at the bottom of the pile for summer transfers, us, Chelsea, City, even Arsenal if they win the title, will be after the few top players who are obtainable in the market and in a better position to attract and pay for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.