Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Can he play the Eriksen role? Is he good enough passer to play the controller role?
He definitely doesn't have eriksens passing range but he could play alongside casemiro as a high energy box to box player. We clearly need someone with more physicality to play alongside cas in some games and he could do that as well as acting as a back up for casemiro

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No wonder Chelsea hired Paul Winstanley from Brighton as their new transfers director

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
See, I was comfortable at 100m or more for Enzo …. Caicedo? There’s a part of me that thinks Andrey Santos would be better than him pretty soon if we can get his visa sorted.

I have zero issue with us spending in that range, but when we do so I expect to be getting someone with “spectacular” or “special” potential. I don’t get that from Caicedo. He seems like a “good player”.

But, as long as it doesn’t affect next Summers window or the Gusto deal … fine I guess?

Of course I could just be clouded by the fact I wanted Enzo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Considering EtH went for Eriksen next to Casemiro it would be a bit of a surprise, but could obviously be a good but different solution.
It wasn't really a surprise for me to see Eriksen partner Casemiro because Mctominay and Fred are just not good enough on the ball. And their energy and graft off the ball doesn't make up for their deficiencies on the ball.

I think in the current team we lack players who provide a high level of ball security in possession in the first phase of the build up. But we also lack a player in midfield, who provides the ability to control the game off the ball against the quickest of opponent's. And Caicedo helps in that regard by containing offensive players like Saka, who caused us a lot of problems in our last league game. And Caicedo is also good on the ball where i've seen him help Brighton build play through the thirds as the deepest midfielder against the very best teams and he has demonstrated he has a good passing range. Our three central players Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno are lacking athletically, which becomes a problem against top quality teams and Caicedo with his all round skillset would imo improve the composition of the midfield. He can also be the long-term replacement for Casemiro imo.

But we need two new midfielders imo which includes a conductor/controller in midfield. We will probably need to have new ownership in place by the summer if we want to do that. But otherwise it's going to be difficult to compete against teams who are spending lavish sums and will continue to do so.

@mav_9me Yes we do need a conductor controller in midfield. But I'm hoping we don't pay a ridiculous sum for the lad at Benfica because I'm sick and tired of seeing us get fleeced. I think we could probably get both Caicedo and Orkun Kokcu from Feyenoord with the money it would take to buy Enzo Fernandez. Kokcu only recently turned 22, and there's no guarantee that he would fulfil his potential in the EPL. But he wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as Enzo Fernandez and he fits the profile of the conductor/controller and is comfortable in all three phases of play. Feyenoord are top of the Dutch league and Kokcu is someone who I feel might be a risk worth taking.

And controlling the game on the ball is a collective effort which involves the keeper, CBs, the deeper lying midfielders and the fullbacks. If you have weaknesses in any of those areas, you won't be controlling games in possesion against the top teams.

Tarrou

I wouldn't be too bothered if our rivals spent a lot on this guy

he's decent but don't see anything too special there

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't be too bothered if our rivals spent a lot on this guy

he's decent but don't see anything too special there
That’s kinda how I think the two teams interested in him see him. …

I don’t believe Arsenal are interested at all, and are trying to lure Chelsea into pulling a big trigger.

Liverpool and Chelsea need midfield help for sure, but I don’t see either of them pulling a trigger this big for him.

Although … might as well use the last full amortization window, right?

Part of me wonders if there isn’t s way to pay the full release clause up front and still also stagger it. Create an entity through Eldridge or 6th street that pays the up front fee and have payments to them for the fee come off the books in increments that make the purchase feasible.

SinNombre

Arsenal or Chelsea spunking 80m on him in this window is great for us.

Enzo or FDJ should be our prio in the summer at a similar price tag or lower, for a much stronger player.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal or Chelsea spunking 80m on him in this window is great for us.

Enzo or FDJ should be our prio in the summer at a similar price tag or lower, for a much stronger player.
I don’t think the price tag is going down on Enzo. They are trying very hard to get him to sign a new contract, and it isn’t because they wanna sell them for less than Chelsea is offering. Now they believe they can get even more in the summer.

People said we were crazy for coming in with the low bid, but there was a reason for that. We were trying to send a message of what his real that you would be if they didn’t sell him now and that January was a premium.

I don’t think arsenal has any interest in caicedo. I think Liverpool and Chelsea have some interest, and arsenal is just trying to go Chelsea into paying too much to ensure their chances for the rice, and because they just don’t like us

dutchred

I think Onana at Everton is just as good and would be a lot cheaper

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He should move sooner rather than later. You only need to look at the likes of Ndidi as proof of how quickly the windows for big moves can close.

FromTheBench

We need someone to dictate play alongside casemiro.

Caicedo would be backup to casemiro right now. Probably too expensive for that role.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
If he's truly a United fan as claimed and we are interested, then surely he could be asked to wait for a summer move from us?

Suspect we are not interested at that price given the manager probably still thinks De Jong is his guy

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
No big club wanted to touch him at 4.5m
The reason for that is because he had multiple agents and it was very messy. I don’t think we can keep recycling that we fecked up
It’s staggering that clubs can think it’s a hassle to do transfer negotiations when it could potentially save them tens of millions.

People needs to be sacked for this type of rubbish.

:lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It’s staggering that clubs can think it’s a hassle to do transfer negotiations when it could potentially save them tens of millions.

People needs to be sacked for this type of rubbish.

:lol:
I agree with this.

For the hassle it would have caused to get Caicedo for £4.5 million, whoever goes for him next could have saved themselves £45 million (minimum).

Its the same with Enzo Fernandez going to Benfica for €18 million. Clubs oooh and aaah over these players that they could buy quite cheaply. Then they realise a year later they should've done the deal and see the price go up almost 10 times.

Then clubs like ours will say there's no money to rebuild cos the players we want our too expensive. Easy solution: Get them before they get super expensive. Isn't that what our supposedly vast network of scouts if for?

RedorDead21

Would be a monumentally stupid use of funds though considering the state of the rest of the team.

The state we're in, we have to prioritise and use the funds we have sensibly and using £75m in that scenario, is the opposite. We do need an upgrade on McTominay, but we should be in the cheap and cheerful section of the market.
That’s the problem though. We ain’t winning a league if we have no back up for Casemiro except to go back to McFred. We need owners who can upgrade all of our issues in one window and that includes making our bench also formidable. We are up against teams able to throw 500m at their holes. We’ve wasted that instead.

Skills

Snitch
That’s the problem though. We ain’t winning a league if we have no back up for Casemiro except to go back to McFred. We need owners who can upgrade all of our issues in one window and that includes making our bench also formidable. We are up against teams able to throw 500m at their holes. We’ve wasted that instead.
Yeah but why does your back up have to cost £75m? It's fecking nuts.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Hi there, I’m the Brighton fan who posted at length earlier in the thread explaining the Caicedo situation prior to joining us.

What some supporters (not you personally!) of the top clubs must try and see is that the days of the biggest clubs in the world - such as Manchester United - taking top talent from smaller clubs for pennies is over. Brighton have a World Cup winning centre midfielder, one of the hottest prospects in the world alongside him, the future Spanish number one keeper and Mitoma. Mitoma is behind only Saka and your very own Rashford in form this season for his position, for example. Yet on every single forum for of the top clubs people watch a few minutes of an Albion game and say things like “just get Mitoma for £30m”.

Brighton’s official line on Caicedo, as with White (£50m) and Cucurella (£63m) before him, is they simply don’t want to sell. The player is not for sale.

If a club came in and made a mad offer/started a bidding war, of course he’d leave. The right money can move anyone anywhere in the world, including all your best players, PSG’s best players, anyone.

In Caicedo’s case, he has four years left in his contract, is a top performing premier league midfielder in a successful team, who have no financial need to sell and at this time no pressure from the player or his new agents to move.

I think he will almost certainly go to a top club in the summer regardless of whether Brighton make Europe, but realistically the fee will be £75m+ depending on interest. Probably closer to a potential £100m with bonuses.

Manchester United/Chelsea etc are massive draws for any player, but the selling club aren’t obliged to sell to them just because they’re who they are.

If he’d add value to the squad, they’d pay the fee relative to the value he adds, which is basic business.

Cheers! :)

eselfor

That is the wrong way to look at it. We need a number of players who can start for us in their own right. Look at City's team. They have so many players who can start for them but, based on Pep's plan for a particular game, are used as subs. Grealish, Mahrez, Foden, Laporte, Dias, Bernardo are certainly not backups but also start very important games.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Why spend this much on a back up when the first team isnt good enough yet?
As I said on another thread, our priorities are areas where the starter isn't good enough or there's no back up. ST, other CM and GK are areas that we can improve the starting positions. That's where we should be spending on. If we get a deal like Malacia's for a back up position then of course we should go for it.

mu4c_20le

In Caicedo’s case, he has four years left in his contract, is a top performing premier league midfielder in a successful team, who have no financial need to sell and at this time no pressure from the player or his new agents to move.
Easy there chief, he has 2.5 years left on his 4yr contract that he initially signed. If he moves this month it will be for big money. If he waits until the summer, offers will be more reasonable.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Easy there chief, he has 2.5 years left on his 4yr contract that he initially signed. If he moves this month it will be for big money. If he waits until the summer, offers will be more reasonable.
Apologies, you’re quite right. I don’t see it making a huge difference in scheme of things - the fee would be lower in the summer regardless. I also don’t think for a second he’d be a back-up player if he signed. Casemiro is one of the best in the world, but he can’t do it alone.

Mmm-Qatarian

I am in the camp that thinks this dude is a bit overhyped at this point. He's a really solid midfielder in the Premier League so, equivalently, I don't want to go too far the other way because that in itself is very impressive. I just think the 85 million price tag being quoted for him is really steep.

RedorDead21

Because our competition have back ups worth 100m on their bench? We have players who cost 70 plus barely contributing. What’s his price got to do with it he’s someone who can be here for 7-8 years. We plays lots and lots of games. He’s not back up. He’s playing as a starter in lots of games and maybe with Casemiro in others. They don’t come up very often even at these prices. And with the owners I’m looking for it’s not about prioritising it’s about having them all fixed!

RuudTom83

United need to cobble together enough money to buy a CF in the summer, spending anywhere near 70 million on this kid would be bonkers...let Chelsea have him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Apologies, you’re quite right. I don’t see it making a huge difference in scheme of things - the fee would be lower in the summer regardless. I also don’t think for a second he’d be a back-up player if he signed. Casemiro is one of the best in the world, but he can’t do it alone.
He wouldn't be a back up at United for the fee it would take to sign him, and he can easily slot alongside Casemiro or he can deputise for Casemiro in a deeper lying midfield role. Because for a player like Caicedo who is already showing elite level defensive potential at a young age, where his ability to contain and manage the game in defensive transition is very impressive, his passing from a deeper role is also good. Quick player, strong aerially and surprisingly his passing ability is actually good, so the comparison with Bissouma is a lazy one, due to Bissouma lacking the ability to progress play via his passing, hence he was more of a #8. For a 21 year old mifielder he's got huge potential and will improve further in the coming years.

I can understand if people have reservations due to Caicedo only being a first team player at Brighton for less than a season or wanting to sign a cheaper alternative.

If we had Caicedo now, then I could see a strong midfield 3 of Casemiro, Caicedo and Eriksen, being a very balanced midfield.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Our transfer policy has been bad for many years, we always buy overpay for established stars. Maguire, AWB, Casemiro, Antony and etc. We always think that 1-2 players from the academy will make it to XI which happens rarely nowadays. I hope ETH influence changes in the transfer policy, getting younger players at a lower fee before they becomes good. I do see a bright future with Garnacho, Amad and Pellestri.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Our transfer policy has been bad for many years, we always buy overpay for established stars. Maguire, AWB, Casemiro, Antony and etc. We always think that 1-2 players from the academy will make it to XI which happens rarely nowadays. I hope ETH influence changes in the transfer policy, getting younger players at a lower fee before they becomes good. I do see a bright future with Garnacho, Amad and Pellestri.
There's a reason why top level managers tend to buy established stars, they get sacked if the results don't go their way and playing academy players is a risk that they won't/can't always take

Status
Not open for further replies.