Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Aren’t you on a FFP watch list this summer?
We were, but we've always insisted we're run compliant, so I've no reason to believe we a ren't.
We'll have an increase in revenue from Champions League qualification, this year will have increased revenue from Adidas kit deal, and I think all clubs will get a 35% increase from broadcasting revenue, that's just off the top of my head.

Plus, like I said, this is the first summer we can expect significant sales, some of which will be Academy players that really helps with FFP.

£100m+ in sales? How?
We've already got close to £10M in from Mari and Leno staying up.

It seems Tierney will be going to Newcastle for £30M+. Balogun has multiple suitors for £25M+. Xhaxa going to Leverkusen for £12M. These are the more easy sales I'd say. Charlie Patino has good interest but no idea of value there.

The more difficult sales would be the likes of Pepe, Tavares, Lokonga, Trusty.

One I'd maybe watch would be Smith-Rowe. There seems to be something not quite right there so I wouldn't be surprised if both decided it would be best to move on. Villa bid £30M for him before he had his good season in last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they bid similar for him again.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They won’t get either and I highly doubt they’re bidding for both. Unless they’re banking on big money from selling the likes of Balogun, Tierney, ESM and xhaka
I never said they would get both, but they are bidding for both reportedly. Also when they were bidding for Caicedo in Jan, it was reported they would still go after Rice in the summer

Perseus

They can't bid until the window. BHA have announced the value is £140 million plus for Caceido who is not for sale. BHA are short of players and will sign five plus before they sell first teamers.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They can't bid until the window. BHA have announced the value is £140 million plus for Caceido who is not for sale.
Nobody is paying that and if he didn't get in writing that they would let him leave for a reasonnable offer when he signed, he's a fool.
140M should be enough to get both players

Perseus

Nobody is paying that and if he didn't get in writing that they would let him leave for a reasonnable offer when he signed, he's a fool.
140M should be enough to get both players
Press can increase his value but Barber said £140 million plus in a formal press interview.

Caicedo gets £100m price-tag
As things stand, it would be a surprise to see Caicedo join Liverpool this summer. It isn’t as though the 21-year-old isn’t of interest to the Reds. On the contrary, they’re said to rate him very highly, and reportedly have done for a long time.

But unfortunately, it looks like he could cost far more than Liverpool are likely to be willing to pay.

Latest reports put Brighton’s asking price at £100m for Caicedo. Not to down-play or disrespect the young man, but that is crazy money for a player with 41 Premier League

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Press can increase his value but Barber said £140 million plus in a formal press interview.

As things stand, it would be a surprise to see Caicedo join Liverpool this summer. It isn’t as though the 21-year-old isn’t of interest to the Reds. On the contrary, they’re said to rate him very highly, and reportedly have done for a long time.

But unfortunately, it looks like he could cost far more than Liverpool are likely to be willing to pay.

Latest reports put Brighton’s asking price at £100m for Caicedo. Not to down-play or disrespect the young man, but that is crazy money for a player with 41 Premier League
I might be wrong, but I'm sure the £140M price tag came from an interview Barber gave where he was asked if the £70M that Arsenal offered was close to being deemed acceptable, and he said jokingly something along the lines of it would probably get half of him. Unless I've missed something else?

Strootman's Finger

If Liverpool sign Caicedo I will puke. I didn't even know they were interested.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting to hear from David Weir about how Brighton were struggling to find a loan move for Caicedo and he was eventually sent on loan to a team in Belgium that was struggling. And he goes on to say that Caicedo's loan wasn't a great experience for him due to the club he joined getting relegated but it was fundamental for his development as a player.

Swedish_Plumber

100 million for him isn’t gonna happen in our current state. Can’t afford to spend that on one player with all the uncertainty around ownership.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see anybody paying 100m for Caicedo.

Arsenal are prioritizing Rice and its hard to imagine us having the money for both. United and Chelsea both are prioritizing a big ticket striker and seem unlikely to spend that much on a midfielder as well. Liverpool have seemingly decided on MacAllister as their big midfield addition. He doesn't seem secure enough in possession or creative enough in the final third to be Guardiola's heir to Gundogan. No way Bayern spends that much on a CM. So who will pay that?

pogbasformerbarber

I don't see anybody paying 100m for Caicedo.

Arsenal are prioritizing Rice and its hard to imagine us having the money for both. United and Chelsea both are prioritizing a big ticket striker and seem unlikely to spend that much on a midfielder as well. Liverpool have seemingly decided on MacAllister as their big midfield addition. He doesn't seem secure enough in possession or creative enough in the final third to be Guardiola's heir to Gundogan. No way Bayern spends that much on a CM. So who will pay that?
No one will pay that...you're 100% spot on. This is a classic example of a young star player on a mid-table club getting a stupidly inflated valuation. Only entrenched superstars should get even close to 110m. Shades of Kalvin Phillips etc.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
80m only because Brighton are playing hard-ball and are very good at selling. If they sell him at that price they wil have made close to 300M on 5 players (Cucu, White, McAllister, Trossard & Caicedo)
In a normal market he should be around 60/65M max, good young player with potential + a bit of international experience + PL tax.

croadyman

80m only because Brighton are playing hard-ball and are very good at selling. If they sell him at that price they wil have made close to 300M on 5 players (Cucu, White, McAllister, Trossard & Caicedo)
In a normal market he should be around 60/65M max, good young player with potential + a bit of international experience + PL tax.
Do you think Utd & Arsenal's recruitment teams are both regretting not putting in the effort to pick him up for literally peanuts. Mind you that third party ownership clearly put off a lot of top teams

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Do you think Utd & Arsenal's recruitment teams are both regretting not putting in the effort to pick him up for literally peanuts. Mind you that third party ownership clearly put off a lot of top teams
I don't think Arsenal were on him before Brighton, were they ? But of course in hindsight you should have.
PL clubs probably gets offered hundreds of young south-american players, you are going to miss out on a lot of them. Like Danilo who went to Forest after being linked for months to Arsenal. He could turn out to be great or a 20M dud.

croadyman

I don't think Arsenal were on him before Brighton, were they ? But of course in hindsight you should have.
PL clubs probably gets offered hundreds of young south-american players, you are going to miss out on a lot of them. Like Danilo who went to Forest after being linked for months to Arsenal. He could turn out to be great or a 20M dud.
Never knew you were linked to Danilo,also there is no doubt Alvarez would be a starter at any other team in this league because class player

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You keep saying this, but it's not really true, the quote comes from an interview Barber did with The Beautiful game podcast, when he was asked about Arsenal bidding 70 million for Caicedo he said:

“Only if they wanted half the player! Joking aside, we don’t provide numbers. It amuses us when we see numbers in the media because they’ve not come from us.”

The second sentence adds the context, he's joking and he won't put a figure on the price, Brighton don't.

Interestingly he also added when asked about a top 6 release clause in Caicedo's contract:

“We don’t operate like that. We try and avoid things like that because they become such a point of discussion in negotiations that you spend hours and hours on something that may never happen or, if it does happen, it may not be the right price at the right time. We know other clubs use them, and that’s fine, but it’s not something that we tend to get involved with.”

That's about all the official information that Brighton have made public. They'll have price in their heads, but I have a feeling he'll still be a Brighton player come next season.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
You keep saying this, but it's not really true, the quote comes from an interview Barber did with The Beautiful game podcast, when he was asked about Arsenal bidding 70 million for Caicedo he said:

“Only if they wanted half the player! Joking aside, we don’t provide numbers. It amuses us when we see numbers in the media because they’ve not come from us.”

The second sentence adds the context, he's joking and he won't put a figure on the price, Brighton don't.

Interestingly he also added when asked about a top 6 release clause in Caicedo's contract:

“We don’t operate like that. We try and avoid things like that because they become such a point of discussion in negotiations that you spend hours and hours on something that may never happen or, if it does happen, it may not be the right price at the right time. We know other clubs use them, and that’s fine, but it’s not something that we tend to get involved with.”

That's about all the official information that Brighton have made public. They'll have price in their heads, but I have a feeling he'll still be a Brighton player come next season.
Barber and Bloom have said this similar multiple times when asked about this at fan conferences.

Yet every few pages someone will say; “why not just sign up cheap now and loan him back to Brighton?” or “Why didn’t he insist on a release clause?” or “He’s a United fan; he’d insist on coming here” etc etc etc.

Or with Caicedo “why didn’t we just get him for £4m when we had the chance”. I’ve replied with near identical replies four times, citing numerous reliable sources and giving detailed breakdowns of exactly what happened.

I appreciate I am not talking about all supporters here, but there is still a contingent who are slightly incredulous that the biggest, richest clubs can’t just “take” prize assets from historically smaller clubs any more off the back of their brand.

Brighton aren’t mugs. They are an extremely well run club with outstanding attention to detail and process. They have beaten Manchester United regularly and are just below them in the table. A little reassessment and moving with the times is needed by a minority.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I appreciate I am not talking about all supporters here, but there is still a contingent who are slightly incredulous that the biggest, richest clubs can’t just “take” prize assets from historically smaller clubs any more off the back of their brand.
You need to look up Glaston's (no longer here) DADDY DADDY WANT WANT rant - he was a Spurs fan and had a bit of meltdown over this!

Perseus, though has a history of posting quite a bit about Brighton, it's pretty much all he posts about, it's often a bit off the wall though, I think he's a Brighton fan.

EDIT: It's here Glaston DADDY WANT possibly one of the funniest posts ever!

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

He is a good player, looks great in that Brighton team. Many players do.

However, history tells us that players that perform well at one level don’t necessary replicate that form at the next level up.

Yves Bissouma? He was great at Brighton, been fairly inconspicuous at Spurs…..

Still, certainly an upgrade on Fred/McTom

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Arsenal get this guy they will be very very strong next season.

Still fuming we turned our noses up at him because of a complex agent situation.

Hackman2210

Buy him ffs! He's a 10 year player £70/80m - whats the issue here?? He's the rock our midfield can be built around. Shades of Keano without the inate violence.

redcucumber

If we get 30/40m for McTominay, add in another 60m and get this guy. Huge sum but he's an absolute machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.