Gaming Monster Hunter World

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I've always wanted to pick up Monster Hunter and now that it's hit the PS4 I got it. So far it's every bit as awesome as I had hoped.

Any other Monster Hunters on here? Wouldn't mind slaying a big ol' dino or two in multiplayer at some point. PS4-Handle is hurtelknut. :)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm tempted to buy this but then I remember the list of games I need to finish and think better of it.

Looks great though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This looks very interesting. How different is it from Dark Souls though? I still have Bloodborne to get through after DS3. I feel something like Injustice might compliment the Souls better than this one, for now.

amolbhatia50k

I'm tempted to buy this but then I remember the list of games I need to finish and think better of it.

Looks great though.
I've got so many interesting games to play (and buy before playing of course).

Nier Automata
Persona 5
Injustice 2
The new wolfenstein
The last guardian
Nioh
The new assassins creed (if I can being myself to)
This

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

Looks great though.
Yes this is me. Just finished Assassin's Creed Origins (which is brilliant BTW) and I have Persona 5 to play next, but god damn I'm so tempted to just get this now it looks fantastic! But I have to hold off as P5 seems like it'll be a long game so would rather play that next than buy a new game. I might just buy it now so I have it for after.

Kaos

I'm waiting for the PC version, it looks amazing.
I was going to do the same until I realised it's probably going to have a smaller community and I don't really trust a studio that has never done a PC port before. It looks fantastic on PS4 pro so I buckled :)

Kaos

How does it run on standard PS4?
Apparently its a bit janky, with fps dropping to the teens in busy environments, otherwise hovering around 20-25. On the pro it sits comfortably around 40-50 on performance mode.

It depends on you though, if you're a PC gamer accustomed to high FPS, then it'll probably be very noticeable. Otherwise it's probably playable enough for the average console gamer.

Woodzy

Apparently its a bit janky, with fps dropping to the teens in busy environments, otherwise hovering around 20-25. On the pro it sits comfortably around 40-50 on performance mode.

It depends on you though, if you're a PC gamer accustomed to high FPS, then it'll probably be very noticeable. Otherwise it's probably playable enough for the average console gamer.
In that case I may be better off waiting for PC. Although it's going to be a long way off :(

Edit: Ordered. My cat has more fecking willpower than me.

Last edited:

Marcelinho87

Might get this but unsure as to which platform... PC would look best but how would the community be on the xbox?

Kaos

In that case I may be better off waiting for PC. Although it's going to be a long way off :(

Edit: Ordered. My cat has more fecking willpower than me.
Lol, if it's any consolation I buckled too. Was adamant I was going to wait for the PC version but buckled. No regrets though, runs very smooth on PS4 pros performance mode.

Kaos

Might get this but unsure as to which platform... PC would look best but how would the community be on the xbox?
To be honest it's hard to gauge how good the PC version would actually be at this point. Sure it'll probably be the choice for performance but from what I hear Capcom has a shoddy track record with PC ports. Not to mention this studio has no experience with porting to PC so it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

If you can be patient enough to wait for up to a year then I suggest you do so. I was in a similar predicament until I realised the community was going to be more active on PS4 anyway (without the hackers on PC) so I just buckled. No regrets so far.

The Xbox one community is expected to be smaller but you shouldn't have any problems finding people to play with, at least in the first few months. There are some current match making issues on Xbox with the game but you'd expect them to prioritise a timely fix for that.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Have to say, i’m enjoying this immensely. I mean, I have no idea what i’m doing or how anything really works but damn is it fun fighting these monster boys.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who's this type of game for?

Is it grindy? Couch co-op? Intense/chilled? I have no idea.... I'm intrigued tho.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's everything I hoped it would be. Tons of fun!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Okay, so I cracked last night and paid £50 for this on PSN.

Only played about 2 hours but it's definitely my kind of game. Just wish I was able to put in an all day session once in a while. With a four year old in the house though... Not gonna happen.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Okay, so I cracked last night and paid £50 for this on PSN.

Only played about 2 hours but it's definitely my kind of game. Just wish I was able to put in an all day session once in a while. With a four year old in the house though... Not gonna happen.
What's your PSN-Handle? Let's hunt!

Stormsurfer21

I decided to buy it as well. Ordered MHW last night. Beginner’s tips are always welcome as I’m completely new to the series. Hopefully I’ll be able to put enough time into the game.

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want to hunt together: stormsurfer21

Kaos

This is amazing. If you're a Souls fan I highly recommend, you'll feel right at home. Just solo'd a big arse fire-breathing T-rex by stun locking it with my big feck off hammer. :drool:

If anyone's on PS4 hit me up - Kaos_MS.

Kaos

Who's this type of game for?

Is it grindy? Couch co-op? Intense/chilled? I have no idea.... I'm intrigued tho.
Think destiny with dark souls lite combat. Very grindy since the emphasis is on killing monsters to salvage their parts for loot, so you can build better armour and weapons to fight even more challenging monsters. That's pretty much the loop. Unlike destiny however there's no leveling so you pretty much rely on your gear and skill.

Like destiny you cant do local coop unfortunately but there's a big focus on online coop. No PvP either if that's your thing.

Kaos

I decided to buy it as well. Ordered MHW last night. Beginner’s tips are always welcome as I’m completely new to the series. Hopefully I’ll be able to put enough time into the game.

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want to hunt together: stormsurfer21
Start off with a beginner friendly weapon like the sword and shield or long sword, their combos are usually easier and their mobility is more forgiving. Avoid the more technical weapons like the charge blade or hunting horn until you're more comfortable with the core mechanics. There's a training area so I recommend you spend time there to get a feel for your main combos and it also won't hurt to watch specific weapon guides on YouTube.

Also upgrade your armour and weapon as much as you can and always remember to eat for buffs before heading out.

Everything else you'll pick up as you play along. Add me on PSN (Kaos_MS) if you wanna do a hunt together.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think destiny with dark souls lite combat. Very grindy since the emphasis is on killing monsters to salvage their parts for loot, so you can build better armour and weapons to fight even more challenging monsters. That's pretty much the loop. Unlike destiny however there's no leveling so you pretty much rely on your gear and skill.

Like destiny you cant do local coop unfortunately but there's a big focus on online coop. No PvP either if that's your thing.
Thanks

Stormsurfer21

Start off with a beginner friendly weapon like the sword and shield or long sword, their combos are usually easier and their mobility is more forgiving. Avoid the more technical weapons like the charge blade or hunting horn until you're more comfortable with the core mechanics. There's a training area so I recommend you spend time there to get a feel for your main combos and it also won't hurt to watch specific weapon guides on YouTube.

Also upgrade your armour and weapon as much as you can and always remember to eat for buffs before heading out.

Everything else you'll pick up as you play along. Add me on PSN (Kaos_MS) if you wanna do a hunt together.
Much appreciated, will add you. My copy arrives Thursday. Can't wait to get my hands on what looks to be a massive and wonderful game!

amolbhatia50k

Hard like Dark Souls or methodical?
Yeah it looks boring to me. But I love dark souls so am I in?!
No idea but I'm guessing the latter. I'm doubting it's as hard as DS which I love too btw.

It looks good to me. I've read that the combat is clunky but fun once you get to grips with the nature of it. So if that's sorted a game of exploration and monster hunting sounds like my cup of tea.

Andersons Dietician

Hmmmm so after giving it a decent go last night it’s a bit Arcady in its controls, and monster fights seem to just lend themselves to button bashing. I used the katana and there are 3 basic combos in the tutorials and two of them are hit the same button 4 times However the absolute worst thing is that it takes about 46 minutes of stupid cut scenes, and tutorials before you get in to any sort of action.
I’ve not played that far through but the hunting seems very very basic and Withcher and Farcry primal hunting aspects are far better than this which considering it’s called Monster Hunter you would think they could do a better job.
Hopefully the game expands more and becomes more of a game where you have to use your brain as right now, green flies lead you to monster, hit monster, monster run away, follow flies again, hit monster, runs away, follow flies, hit monster and repeat for about 10-20 minutes until it falls over.

AllezLesDiables

Hmmmm so after giving it a decent go last night it’s a bit Arcady in its controls, and monster fights seem to just lend themselves to button bashing. I used the katana and there are 3 basic combos in the tutorials and two of them are hit the same button 4 times However the absolute worst thing is that it takes about 46 minutes of stupid cut scenes, and tutorials before you get in to any sort of action.
I’ve not played that far through but the hunting seems very very basic and Withcher and Farcry primal hunting aspects are far better than this which considering it’s called Monster Hunter you would think they could do a better job.
Hopefully the game expands more and becomes more of a game where you have to use your brain as right now, green flies lead you to monster, hit monster, monster run away, follow flies again, hit monster, runs away, follow flies, hit monster and repeat for about 10-20 minutes until it falls over.
It gets much more complex as you continue. The “boss” mechanics become much more difficult and sometimes certain weapon choices are more difficult than others.

That being said it’s not for everyone.

Andersons Dietician

It gets much more complex as you continue. The “boss” mechanics become much more difficult and sometimes certain weapon choices are more difficult than others.

That being said it’s not for everyone.
Yeah, I’ve played a lot more today and everything was going fine just grinding monsters then I have to go and take out that Apusomething. (The T-Rex that breathes fire and has wings occasionally.) the thing slapped the turd out of me. Thought I was closing in on the kill some dude showed up to help after I launched a flair(woooooooo) and as I retreated to take a potion thinking I’m clear I took a slap to the back wiping me out.

I’m enjoying it more now, controls are a bit clunky mind but the more you learn about the animals and the research the better it gets. Still wish there was more to the hunting aspect.

AllezLesDiables

Yeah, I’ve played a lot more today and everything was going fine just grinding monsters then I have to go and take out that Apusomething. (The T-Rex that breathes fire and has wings occasionally.) the thing slapped the turd out of me. Thought I was closing in on the kill some dude showed up to help after I launched a flair(woooooooo) and as I retreated to take a potion thinking I’m clear I took a slap to the back wiping me out.

I’m enjoying it more now, controls are a bit clunky mind but the more you learn about the animals and the research the better it gets. Still wish there was more to the hunting aspect.
Yeah, Anjurath is the first step and he’s the most difficult in the first two areas.

Agreed that ththe controls are clunky but it’s done on purpose to add to thinking and planing to avoid button mashing.

There’s more as you go. Crafting is important plus there are other planing aspects. Mostly you figure out what you need to kill to get the parts that you need for improving gear and weapons.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah, Anjurath is the first step and he’s the most difficult in the first two areas.

Agreed that ththe controls are clunky but it’s done on purpose to add to thinking and planing to avoid button mashing.

There’s more as you go. Crafting is important plus there are other planing aspects. Mostly you figure out what you need to kill to get the parts that you need for improving gear and weapons.
Yeah I’m pretty sure I need to kill him to get the next part of my Bone Katana up with an element to it. I’ve been hoarding stuff for armour basically but I might need to bite the bullet and craft more specific and stronger parts. Was hoping to get away with what I had a bit longer.
Going to go after that Anjurath later on. However the game is slowly winning me over even with some of the faults I mentioned.