Gaming Monster Hunter World

Kaos

Yeah I’m pretty sure I need to kill him to get the next part of my Bone Katana up with an element to it. I’ve been hoarding stuff for armour basically but I might need to bite the bullet and craft more specific and stronger parts. Was hoping to get away with what I had a bit longer.
Going to go after that Anjurath later on. However the game is slowly winning me over even with some of the faults I mentioned.
Don't bother hoarding anything, especially early on since it won't be of any use to you in the late game. So use those armor spheres and always see if there's better armor or weapons to upgrade. Don't neglect your palico either since he'll often save your ass more than once.

Pay attention to a monster's weakness. If you look at your hunter notes you'll notice some specific info about all the monsters you've interacted with. Assuming you've 'researched' them well enough (i.e collected their footprint/mucus samples then talking to the scholar in the astera tradeyard), then you'll see which elements its weak to. Anjanath for instance is vulnerable to water damage, so you'll do bits if you craft a water weapon (you can craft one from the parts of that jyuratodus swamp monster you would have faced in the wildspire wastes).

Andersons Dietician

Don't bother hoarding anything, especially early on since it won't be of any use to you in the late game. So use those armor spheres and always see if there's better armor or weapons to upgrade. Don't neglect your palico either since he'll often save your ass more than once.

Pay attention to a monster's weakness. If you look at your hunter notes you'll notice some specific info about all the monsters you've interacted with. Assuming you've 'researched' them well enough (i.e collected their footprint/mucus samples then talking to the scholar in the astera tradeyard), then you'll see which elements its weak to. Anjanath for instance is vulnerable to water damage, so you'll do bits if you craft a water weapon (you can craft one from the parts of that jyuratodus swamp monster you would have faced in the wildspire wastes).
Yeah studied the field research quite a bit. Haven’t gone back to take him on yet. Went and just did some investigations and so on Just to get more materials really.
On the weaknesses it’s actually pretty hard to line up the combos on them. Tails are easy but the Anjuraths neck is a weakness but lining up an attack on that unless he’s grounded is tricky.

I think I’ve changed my stance on the game a bit all though a better stealth aspect would be better and having to be down wind and so on would add more of a better all round aspect. However it’s damn addictive even if at times it’s quite grindy. I think it’s hooked me now.

Going to play later after todays game. Just craft away to my hearts content.

Kaos

Yeah studied the field research quite a bit. Haven’t gone back to take him on yet. Went and just did some investigations and so on Just to get more materials really.
On the weaknesses it’s actually pretty hard to line up the combos on them. Tails are easy but the Anjuraths neck is a weakness but lining up an attack on that unless he’s grounded is tricky.

I think I’ve changed my stance on the game a bit all though a better stealth aspect would be better and having to be down wind and so on would add more of a better all round aspect. However it’s damn addictive even if at times it’s quite grindy. I think it’s hooked me now.

Going to play later after todays game. Just craft away to my hearts content.
For faster monsters you should only expect to line up your full highest damage combo on them when they're on the ground or stunned. Otherwise until then you should chip at them with your shorter combos and focus on getting them stunned with blunt damage to the head (especially if you're using a hammer), mounting them or by using traps.

The last one you'll soon learn is important to make full use of. Make sure you stack up on flashbugs in your item pouch so you always have an ample supply of flashpods. They're very useful in creating a long enough opening for you to use your full high damage combo on their weakspots.

Also, always be aware of environmental advantages. If you see a paratoad, attack him just as the monster charges you to stun it. And look out for ledges you can climb or those flashing beetles you can swing on with your slinger, that way you do an aerial attack that has a chance to mount the monster and finish by stunning it to the ground.

Andersons Dietician

For faster monsters you should only expect to line up your full highest damage combo on them when they're on the ground or stunned. Otherwise until then you should chip at them with your shorter combos and focus on getting them stunned with blunt damage to the head (especially if you're using a hammer), mounting them or by using traps.

The last one you'll soon learn is important to make full use of. Make sure you stack up on flashbugs in your item pouch so you always have an ample supply of flashpods. They're very useful in creating a long enough opening for you to use your full high damage combo on their

Also, always be aware of environmental advantages. If you see a paratoad, attack him just as the monster charges you to stun it. And look out for ledges you can climb or those flashing beetles you can swing on with your slinger, that way you do an aerial attack that has a chance to mount the monster and finish by stunning it to the ground.
Yeah I’m now completely balls deep in Monster Hunter. The Anjurath fell pretty easily the 2nd time I went after it. I had spent a lot of time just doing expeditions, gathering, doing investigations and hunting some of the other monsters again for parts.
Went after an Anjurath a further two times and the fecker when on deaths door pulled a vanishing act twice so on the 3rd occasion I experimented with trapping and caught one. My materials for traps and tranq bombs are disappearing fast mind. I’ll look in to making flash pods. I’m sure I have a tonne of them and I do tend to use the environment around me like para toads and so on. It does make it so much easier. My cat seems to have learnt how to talk to Jaegers which was a bit awkward when I tried to kill it as it snuck up on me.

Andersons Dietician

Discovered me new most hated monster. Kirin I think it’s called. What an ass hole of a creature. Firey, T-Rex now that I’ve progressed is basically like a gecko and takes like 10 minutes to dispatch but this is the first monster I’ve failed at since my first encounter with Fire breathing T-Rex. Stupid electric unicorn fooker.

Grib

Does anyone find the glaive insanely powerful compared to other weapons?

I've only used the h/lbg, glaive and he for considerable lengths.

I've switched to the ig only recently and am dispatching bosses with speed and easy, I wouldn't call myself anyway proficient with it either

Andersons Dietician

Does anyone find the glaive insanely powerful compared to other weapons?

I've only used the h/lbg, glaive and he for considerable lengths.

I've switched to the ig only recently and am dispatching bosses with speed and easy, I wouldn't call myself anyway proficient with it either
I dabbled with it at the start and just got it to iron blade 2 but I switched to the duel blades and haven’t looked back since. At some point I’m going to go back to the Glaive. Are you giving it the thumbs up or recommended weapon?

I did see a video before I bought the game that said it’s incredibly powerful and one of the best weapons in the game. What sharpness is the one you’re using?

Grib

I dabbled with it at the start and just got it to iron blade 2 but I switched to the duel blades and haven’t looked back since. At some point I’m going to go back to the Glaive. Are you giving it the thumbs up or recommended weapon?

I did see a video before I bought the game that said it’s incredibly powerful and one of the best weapons in the game. What sharpness is the one you’re using?
Definitely thumbs up, I touched on most weapons in the first few days but settled on bowguns

I only changed it up for legiana and then proceeded to boss odogaron with barely a scratch on me

I've since went back and used it in a few other things, rathian Inc and it mauls them

I haven't even read much about optimal combos and I'm still fairly early on despite clocking two full days but the glaive is a blast

I'm using pulsar rod III with a level 1 sharpness boost and a tier 6/7 poison dust kinsect

Andersons Dietician

Definitely thumbs up, I touched on most weapons in the first few days but settled on bowguns

I only changed it up for legiana and then proceeded to boss odogaron with barely a scratch on me

I've since went back and used it in a few other things, rathian Inc and it mauls them

I haven't even read much about optimal combos and I'm still fairly early on despite clocking two full days but the glaive is a blast

I'm using pulsar rod III with a level 1 sharpness boost and a tier 6/7 poison dust kinsect
I have forgone life and have now clocked something like 80 hrs on it. I have just been mining for parts really, so much stuff to do. I decided to make a weapon of each element so a lot of my materials just went in to duel blades of each kind.
The armour is sort of bugging me at the moment. What stage of the game are you at roughly? As odg I guess isn’t too far off of where I’m at in the story. I’ve kind of just gone over a part which is a major development in the game I’m guessing.”kid gloves are off” I believe was the term used.

Anyway, what armour are you using mostly? I run two at the moment but depends on what I’m hunting but the Odog and Legiana are the ones I most use but the effects on the Odog armour don’t really compliment my blades except speed sharpening is great.

Andersons Dietician

why is it rated 16? gore?
Hmmmm there isn’t really any blood or anything that I’ve noticed and no love scenes or anything I’ve come across. Maybe the beating up and carving monsters was considered an issue incase it influenced kids to hunt down the neighbourhood cats.

Grib

I have forgone life and have now clocked something like 80 hrs on it. I have just been mining for parts really, so much stuff to do. I decided to make a weapon of each element so a lot of my materials just went in to duel blades of each kind.
The armour is sort of bugging me at the moment. What stage of the game are you at roughly? As odg I guess isn’t too far off of where I’m at in the story. I’ve kind of just gone over a part which is a major development in the game I’m guessing.”kid gloves are off” I believe was the term used.

Anyway, what armour are you using mostly? I run two at the moment but depends on what I’m hunting but the Odog and Legiana are the ones I most use but the effects on the Odog armour don’t really compliment my blades except speed sharpening is great.
I believe you may be referring to unlocking high rank in which case I think I'm maybe 2-4 quests away
unlocks after fighting the ZM a second time

I was going to build some sets but after discovering 'high rank' existed that seemed like a waste spending anymore time farming mats.

I'm now using a few different bits that have skills to complement my weapons and two random bits that give me a chance to negate 30% of incoming damage (which seems to activate more than you would think)

I've been told to just upgrade the defence on what I have and push on to the bit above before worrying about serious grind

Andersons Dietician

I believe you may be referring to unlocking high rank in which case I think I'm maybe 2-4 quests away
unlocks after fighting the ZM a second time

I was going to build some sets but after discovering 'high rank' existed that seemed like a waste spending anymore time farming mats.

I'm now using a few different bits that have skills to complement my weapons and two random bits that give me a chance to negate 30% of incoming damage (which seems to activate more than you would think)

I've been told to just upgrade the defence on what I have and push on to the bit above before worrying about serious grind
That’s what I was skating around yeah.From what I can tell they become useless other than to start the chain of building weapons.
Once you’ve fought Zora again you basically have to mine parts, metals and all that from the monsters that have changed for the higher value weapons. I’ve only fought 2 so far but I’ve mostly just been doing arena battles and finishing all the optional quests.

Your Palicoes, do you have the plunder blade for him. You get it finding the Grymalikes in the Rotten Vale. Everytime when he throws it it breaks off monster parts so you collect resources and sometimes rare ones mid fight. The more proficient he becomes with it the more you get.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've done 25 hours now but am really just messing around trying stuff out in low rank. Nearly made a level 3 paralysis Hunter horn, but have just tried out the hammer and now want to give that a go.

With all these distractions I'll probably make high rank around 60 hours in. :nervous:

Andersons Dietician

I've done 25 hours now but am really just messing around trying stuff out in low rank. Nearly made a level 3 paralysis Hunter horn, but have just tried out the hammer and now want to give that a go.

With all these distractions I'll probably make high rank around 60 hours in. :nervous:
I’m easily 80-90hrs and still haven’t crafted a high rank weapon. The highest weapons I have are rarity 4 which are Pulsar hatchets 3, dragon twinblades 2, Madness Panga 3(they are the highest damage weapons I have) Blazing hatchets 2 and freeze daggers. Just looking at it now I can craft two rarity 5 weapons. For the rest I got some hunting to do starting with a electric unicorn looking muthafooka who has 1 hit take your life abilities.

GaryLifo

I’m easily 80-90hrs and still haven’t crafted a high rank weapon. The highest weapons I have are rarity 4 which are Pulsar hatchets 3, dragon twinblades 2, Madness Panga 3(they are the highest damage weapons I have) Blazing hatchets 2 and freeze daggers. Just looking at it now I can craft two rarity 5 weapons. For the rest I got some hunting to do starting with a electric unicorn looking muthafooka who has 1 hit take your life abilities.
Glad I'm not alone then. I tried a bow tonight, it was fun but I was pissed off when, after a 30 minute fight with an odogobran (?) in the rotten vale, it suddenly teleported across the map then left the area completely by the time I got there :mad:

Andersons Dietician

Glad I'm not alone then. I tried a bow tonight, it was fun but I was pissed off when, after a 30 minute fight with an odogobran (?) in the rotten vale, it suddenly teleported across the map then left the area completely by the time I got there :mad:
Oh the will be leaving the area soon message is a pain in the ass. Happened a few times with the Anjanath for me. I’ve not had them instantly teleport but they’ve ran off and all of a sudden my flies have stopped tracking and it’s nowhere to be found.
When I go hunting I will find the grymalikes then find a Jagras in the Forrest then you have 3 fighting. So it makes quick work of what you’re going after. Just change it to Girros or skull thing per area.

You only seem to be able to get 3 helpers if you find the grym tribe from that area that taught your Palaceos how to speak to such and such creature. It’s awesome if you get the male Keslodon(I think that’s what it’s called) fought an Anjanath and he kept knocking it over so I was just unleashing fury on its nuts. Weirdly my combo attack always seems to end up in his nut area.

The Bow- so I only dabbled in the training area but I’ve been on a few hunts with people who used the bow and they all kept fainting and one kept dropping rubble on my head. I’ve done a few sos missions for the ODG and Leganas when farming parts and ito like they just threw themselves at the feet of the monsters.

Andersons Dietician

Seriously this Unicorn super saiyen blue mother fooka is a pain in the ass. Only taken him on twice now and both times he’s kicked my ass. If he catches you once with his Thor ragnorok like powers your toast because it stun locks you and normally when there is one the other bolt isn’t far behind.

Think I’m possibly being a little over zealous and might just have to get in give it my one hit and then get out while the going is good and repeat. Rushing it and trying to get too many hits in then getting my ass lit up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Beat the last monster of the "main story" yesterday. At like 75 hours. Great game.

GaryLifo

so last night I tried and failed to kill one of the big spikey dudes who rolls in bones to put his spikey armour back on. Once again he ran away after about 30 minutes of me pounding the shit out of him with my bow. I think I finally figured out the problem. I've had people join my investigation and then leave right at the start. I know that the monster health scales up when people join - BUT, I did not realise until this morning that when people leave the monster health doesn't drop back down. This happened in the previous fights I described in my other posts.

Annoying as I wasted a lot of time for very few rewards.

Grib

That’s what I was skating around yeah.From what I can tell they become useless other than to start the chain of building weapons.
Once you’ve fought Zora again you basically have to mine parts, metals and all that from the monsters that have changed for the higher value weapons. I’ve only fought 2 so far but I’ve mostly just been doing arena battles and finishing all the optional quests.

Your Palicoes, do you have the plunder blade for him. You get it finding the Grymalikes in the Rotten Vale. Everytime when he throws it it breaks off monster parts so you collect resources and sometimes rare ones mid fight. The more proficient he becomes with it the more you get.
I havent invested a lot in him tbh, I don't like cats so I've given him a helmet that makes him look like a badass rabbit and some hammer with para effect, it works well for now

Andersons Dietician

so last night I tried and failed to kill one of the big spikey dudes who rolls in bones to put his spikey armour back on. Once again he ran away after about 30 minutes of me pounding the shit out of him with my bow. I think I finally figured out the problem. I've had people join my investigation and then leave right at the start. I know that the monster health scales up when people join - BUT, I did not realise until this morning that when people leave the monster health doesn't drop back down. This happened in the previous fights I described in my other posts.

Annoying as I wasted a lot of time for very few rewards.
Yeah that is annoying also. My game won’t seem to matchmake and open a session for me to join unless I create myself. There is never any posted quests or anything to join. It just comes up with an error code and the only way I can join is through an sos.
That spike wheel of hurt, I’m sure it’s weakness is dragon element. I think I’ve only fought it once, should probably go hunt one down.

@Grib haha same about cats but he’s worth putting the time in as the little fecker will bail you out a good few times. I gave my dude the Zora weapon and it has a blast effect and he knocks over monsters quite a bit so I just slap them about.

Unicorn Super Saiyen Blue Round 3

So this quest gone in a flash is horrible, fast as the ODG, and electric ferret thing but with almost 1 hit power. This time lasted longer with the get in get out technique. I used pretty much every potion to up my defence, attack, stamina before going in and it was going well but then he caught me. 2nd time round he finished me in mere seconds as he caught me as soon as I dropped in to his area. By the 3rd he’d switched up tactic to random bolts of lightening but I managed to dodge for quite a while and thought I had him figured out then somehow he charged me and caught me mid dodge. He then as I was getting up parked next to me and stood over me as if to add insault to injury and used his death ray to finish it. It was like I was Apollo creed and he was Ivan Drago and he stood over me and said “If he dies, he dies”

Cant wait to hear how you guys get on against him. He’s not even a 6 Star monster:houllier:

Andersons Dietician

Found a way to make lots of cash for this game. Once you do an optional mission called redefining the power couple in which you take on a Rathian and Rathos you get something called the bandit mantel. If you wear it when attacking monsters they drop trade in items. They’ll be glowing gold on the floor.

I’ll go and hunt an easy monster like Great Jagras or Kulu put on the mantle and swing away. You end up with about 20k of loot or more depending on what drops. Go to the sales guy in the yard move to materials and then look for the ones that say trade in items. Then just repeat this.

Andersons Dietician

just when you felt like the game was wrapping up it opens up to even more monster slaying. Easily put in about 130hrs in to this and am only Hunter rank 13. I see online there are people at 70+ and just have to wonder how many hours they have put in.

Crazy addictive game tho

Grib

just when you felt like the game was wrapping up it opens up to even more monster slaying. Easily put in about 130hrs in to this and am only Hunter rank 13. I see online there are people at 70+ and just have to wonder how many hours they have put in.

Crazy addictive game tho
I've hr13 now too, taking it easy doing some farming while I pick up the tracks

Hr cap is removed after the quest for hr14 if I've heard correct (until you hit 29)

Have seen hr 180+ lol

Andersons Dietician

I've hr13 now too, taking it easy doing some farming while I pick up the tracks

Hr cap is removed after the quest for hr14 if I've heard correct (until you hit 29)

Have seen hr 180+ lol
Oh wow, it goes over a 100? I just saw that at HR 100 you get an achievement. So I presumed that was the maximum. Even that seems mind boggling.
I just went to check to verify I’m still HR13 which I am and it says I’ve done

51 low rank quests
40 high rank quests
69 investigations ( I was using the bandit trick to get me a million Zenny)

I feel like I’ve been stuck at HR13 for ages as well. I have a big storyline quest infront of me which I’ve been ignoring but I wonder if that is some sort of cap. Have you come across the Kirin yet? I’ve fought bigger and stronger monsters since then and still it’s the hardest thing I’ve come across and even worse I think I saw there is a tempered version of it :confused:

Grib

No Kirin yet, people say it's easily the hardest monster in each version

I've killed a dodogma, I assume you have visited the elders recces?

You still earn hr points even though your capped so once you break it you might go up a few until 29 (another cap)

Andersons Dietician

No Kirin yet, people say it's easily the hardest monster in each version

I've killed a dodogma, I assume you have visited the elders recces?

You still earn hr points even though your capped so once you break it you might go up a few until 29 (another cap)
Yeah I’ve killed pretty much everything within there except the main story mission I’ve been avoiding.

Weird you haven’t had that Kirin mission yet as I got it before i’d Even gone in to the Elders Recess. Maybe its because it’s a mission from the armoury shop next to the Smithy. She always hands out the best stuff.

Ive just got Nergergante to fight and then the elder dragons after that.

I have just been putting it off farming creatures or parts but I’ve gotten to the point where I need to go and do it as the materials I need for 6/7 rarity are still a mystery item. Just been farming Diablos and
black diablo
for majestic horn but it just will not drop and it’s an annoying mission as you at times either need to wait till they seperate or commit to fighting two Diablos.

Edit: to get the ‘Gone in a Flash’ mission to show up you first have to complete

Snatch the Snatcher

Landing the landslide Wyvern

White monster for a white coat

And then finally

Mans best friend

Then it shows up, seems like there is a few like that where you have to do certain things for them to show. The Kirin armour is quite intresting.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Crazy addictive game tho
I'm at 47, it's a level cap up until you finish the main story. Then you get main missions based on levels (hr 29, then 49 I think, then I think I saw 100). Plus special high ranked monsters in between to level you up.

How are you only 13 with that many hours???? I wouldn't suggest spending so much time farming earlier monsters until you unlock everything and you know for sure the sets you want to build. But I guess you should have all the materials anyway at this point!

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can I feck beat the last story boss.

I am HR 15 and I can get him down to nearly flat lining but he is so tanky he just wins the battle by attrition.

Andersons Dietician

I'm at 47, it's a level cap up until you finish the main story. Then you get main missions based on levels (hr 29, then 49 I think, then I think I saw 100). Plus special high ranked monsters in between to level you up.

How are you only 13 with that many hours???? I wouldn't suggest spending so much time farming earlier monsters until you unlock everything and you know for sure the sets you want to build. But I guess you should have all the materials anyway at this point!
Yeah I figured as much. That’s me done all my optional quests available to me so my hand has been forced. I have to go and do “A Wound and a Thirst” now. Which I’m guessing is the HR13 cap mission and Nergigante.

I’ve pretty much only used Duel Blades so have built one of each element up to lvl 6 apart from the Kadachi tree as no matter how many Diablo horns I break, Majestic horn will not drop for me. I think I’ve taken 6-7 Diablos out today.

I did also spend a lot of time getting the special pets but I’m pretty sure I have them all now having just gotten the wiggler queen. No achievement for her so I think only 3 pets give you an achievement. Then also using the bandit cloak to get a mil zenny took some time.

I’m off to feck up this quest Elder eater.

GaryLifo

Great game. I'm 45 hours in and only HR 11. I've been seriously taking my time trying out lots of different weapons.

Really liking the ice hammer and the explosive glaive at the moment.

Andersons Dietician

So Nergigante is a little byatch. Went down like a sack of potatoes. Pretty much as soon as i’d Defeated him I went to HR14 so definite caps. While I was fighting some guy sent his guild card and basically he was higher rank than I was and has barely done any quest, missions or anything. He had like 10 high rank missions. Clearly I embraced the grind far far far too much.

Andersons Dietician

Can I feck beat the last story boss.

I am HR 15 and I can get him down to nearly flat lining but he is so tanky he just wins the battle by attrition.
Is this Xeno’jiiva? I just had a crack at him he had fainted me twice but I sware he was on flatline so being stupid and impatient I didn’t restock mega potion and the rest and just set off after him as he was near death.

Unfortunately turns out he wasn’t near death at all or the fecker can take an absolute beating and unfortunately he on this final chance made me use up all my potions and then stunned me and finished me with a blast.
When it finished i’d been hacking at his glowy bits for 44 god damn minutes. It only took Just under an hour to defeat the 3 elder dragons before him.

I can’t be bothered right now going back in to the fray against him.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is this Xeno’jiiva? I just had a crack at him he had fainted me twice but I sware he was on flatline so being stupid and impatient I didn’t restock mega potion and the rest and just set off after him as he was near death.

Unfortunately turns out he wasn’t near death at all or the fecker can take an absolute beating and unfortunately he on this final chance made me use up all my potions and then stunned me and finished me with a blast.
When it finished i’d been hacking at his glowy bits for 44 god damn minutes. It only took Just under an hour to defeat the 3 elder dragons before him.

I can’t be bothered right now going back in to the fray against him.
Yeah, you are better off answering an sos call and doing him in co-op, thats what i did. Hes just a bit too tanky for solo play.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah, you are better off answering an sos call and doing him in co-op, thats what i did. Hes just a bit too tanky for solo play.
I think I can see the strategy to beating him so i’ll Have another solo run at it and see how I get on. It’s when he starts turning the floor to lava I had my problems being a duel blade user. But he honestly must have been on the edge of dying.

I’m going back in!!

Andersons Dietician

@Ducklegs got him on the 2nd attempt. Was a close call as I had him flat line on the 1st faint then he wiped me out in seconds in the 2nd and on the 3rd his heart beat had gone up again but I think if it flashes orange that means a strong breeze will wipe him out. Took half an hour basically camped by his front feet as they seem to be a weakness.

Andersons Dietician

Also so my HR went from

13 to 14 beating Nergergante
14 to 15 3x after him
15 to 29 beating the one after that

Still have a question mark monster that I haven’t discovered seemingly. I know what it is as I see it in investigations but no quest for it yet.

Also I want these weapons in the Nergergante tree and the one part I’m missing is his gem. I’ve now killed 11 Nergergante, chopped of tails, broken horns, put on the legante favour armour and not once has this gem dropped yet.

If I had 3 good wyvern tickets I could meld it but unfortunately I do not.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Blast dust:drool:
Is this with your insect Glaive? What does the dust do? I’ve seen dust trails in multiplayer, like purple, green or orange but I’ve not seen it really do anything yet. I’m guessing green is health, purple is poison and orange is blast, are they just a monster trap?