Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch

I think he would be a better fit and would take the swap.

My biggest criticisms of Lukaku are his movement and technique. Morata is better at these things and I also think that United would be able to get more out of other attacking players with him over Lukaku.

MrPooni

Source please.
I'm assuming @Number1 is basing it on the fact we pretty much had an agreement with Morata in principle until Raiola told us Chelsea were dithering on the Lukaku deal and we pulled a Dirty Sanchez on them. Common sense would suggest that, that would then make Lukaku our first and preferred choice but common sense is few and far between on here which is why we have to suffer through stupid threads like this on a weekly basis.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In terms of aptitude, yes - there's more to football than prisoner of the moment opinions and scored more goals arguments without considering the broader context - cue green smileys. I'd also take Firmino without a second thought given the nature of our other forwards; apart from Kane (obvious), Agüero (regardless of injuries and age), Aubameyang (again pure aptitude). Some of it doesn't matter, though - because someone like say Firmino is not a Mourinho style center forward even though he would be a phenomenal fit with Alexis and Martial, so the swap would be pointless. Plus, we already have an elite center forward talent at the club in Martial - who needs to play through the middle and be nurtured, especially given the recent addition of Sánchez.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
One of the biggest clubs in the world! On topic, morata has struggled at Chelsea but I’m sure he will come good. I wouldn’t swap him for lukaku though.
We have the most fans, the most turnover (despite not being at our best footballing wise)

Don’t let the last 5 years of results cloud over how big we are as a club.

Anyway the point was made to emphasise we are a bigger club than Chelsea.

Number1

Source please.
All the bids to Real Madrid in the summer? Contrary to belief it wasn’t a smoke screen to get Lukaku, I’m sure Manchester United and powerful men like Ed Woodward, have better things to do than waste their own time/agents time/the clubs time/Jose’s time/Real Madrid’s time/the clubs money (lawyers/clubs representatives + any other fees) and bid serious money (3 separate bids that we know about, highest being £70m) for a player they have no real interest in getting.

RMD83

All the bids to Real Madrid in the summer? Contrary to belief it wasn’t a smoke screen to get Lukaku, I’m sure Manchester United and powerful men like Ed Woodward, have better things to do than waste their own time/agents time/the clubs time/Jose’s time/Real Madrid’s time/the clubs money (lawyers/clubs representatives + any other fees) and bid serious money (3 separate bids that we know about, highest being £70m) for players they have no real interest in getting.
There’s no doubt we were in for morata. Was he first or second choice? Maybe we will never know. Maybe we were under the impression rom was going Chelsea so we focused on morata or maybe real were being difficult to deal with so we switched our focus to lukaku.

James Peril

The difference between the two is not as big as the reactions above indicate. Both started well, both have since stagnated massively and been deemed flops by the general public, both have struggled for goals in the Premier League. However, one has played in the PL for a long time, the other in his first season - one playing for a club in good spirits and one seemingly in turmoil, Conte acting like a fool.

It’s 50/50 for me, Morata is a better and smarter player, but with doubts to his physical and mental side - will he stay here «forever»? Lukaku is a very limited, technical player - but a very strong and loyal one, I believe. Scores goals, but not nearly enough for me.

To conclude, I don’t want any of them. Would Lukaku start every game for City, Bayern, PSG and Real? Hell no.

Nick7

All the bids to Real Madrid in the summer? Contrary to belief it wasn’t a smoke screen to get Lukaku, I’m sure Manchester United and powerful men like Ed Woodward, have better things to do than waste their own time/agents time/the clubs time/Jose’s time/Real Madrid’s time/the clubs money (lawyers/clubs representatives + any other fees) and bid serious money (3 separate bids that we know about, highest being £70m) for a player they have no real interest in getting.
So you've no proof he was first choice, other than your assumption. We've no real idea if he was or wasn't. The speed at which we pulled out of bidding for Morata and then signed Lukaku for more than Real wanted for Morata, puts paid to thoughts of him being first choice for me.

redshaw

I'd keep Lukaku and trust him much more over a season. He also likes it here.

Can see Morata going back to Spain or Italy. Good player no doubt.

AngliaRed

No way. We need a poweful CF. We have Martial & Rashford for other striker options.
I wouldnt swap either of them for him either.

Anonymous Coward

Supports
No-one
He’s pretty much crumbled at Chelsea. He doesn’t look mentally strong enough.

Imagine him at the biggest club in the world?
Why do we need to imagine it? We've already seen him play for Real Madrid.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Why do we need to imagine it? We've already seen him play for Real Madrid.
How did it turn out there?

Also - there is a difference in mentality between coming through the ranks of your boyhood club who you have played for since a kid, and moving to a brand new club.

Timdbro

The difference between the two is not as big as the reactions above indicate. Both started well, both have since stagnated massively and been deemed flops by the general public, both have struggled for goals in the Premier League. However, one has played in the PL for a long time, the other in his first season - one playing for a club in good spirits and one seemingly in turmoil, Conte acting like a fool.

It’s 50/50 for me, Morata is a better and smarter player, but with doubts to his physical and mental side - will he stay here «forever»? Lukaku is a very limited, technical player - but a very strong and loyal one, I believe. Scores goals, but not nearly enough for me.

To conclude, I don’t want any of them. Would Lukaku start every game for City, Bayern, PSG and Real? Hell no.
Pretty good summary I reckon.
Not sure why everyone’s saying it’s a ridiculous thread - we could realistically have ended up with either in the summer so it’s a legitimate debate.

I also think Morata is the better footballer, but he’d be way more likely to sulk if things weren’t going well and look to return to Real if things were going well.

Kaos

Morata has the higher ceiling but no, too soft mentally.

I'm not a fan of either though tbh. I'd rather we play Martial or Sanchez centrally.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Obviously very few people are going to pick Morata now that he's been out injured for a while and no-one knows when he'll be back, and his form prior to the injury was poor.

Two poor options. An elite club aspiring to win league/CL should have someone better.

Skills

Snitch
Lukakus better, and has a better resale value because he can actually score goals.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Obviously very few people are going to pick Morata now that he's been out injured for a while and no-one knows when he'll be back, and his form prior to the injury was poor.

Two poor options. An elite club aspiring to win league/CL should have someone better.
Chelsea had Diego Costa last season and They won the league. He was no better than Lukaku and older.

Luis DC

Supports
Universidad de Chile

Morata have an advantage over Lukaku. He is more capable connecting with the other players, make the plays more fluids and has more mobility. But he also has a hugue problem, his lack of consistence.

His performances goes from top notch when he is the combination of Kane, Van Basten, Van Nistelroy together and others when a drunk Crouch in one leg is better than him. He has periods of the season when he score 9/10 chances and others when he connect 1/300.

He is a big gamble and I'm not sure if the fans can't stand his dry periods without goals. He can add plays, but as a striker he must provide goals, Lukaku with all his problems is more stable in his performances.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
First of all i know this probably would never happen, but just after a deal involving 2 of England's biggest clubs and 2 great players (Sanchez and Mkhitaryan) in a straight swap deal, if Chelsea proposed a similar deal in the summer for a straight swap Morata for Lukaku would you take it? Would Mourinho take it?

I think it's fair to say Morata hasn't settled well at Chelsea, only showed glimpses of his talent, but was Jose Mourihno's first choice striker in the summer. Similar story with Lukaku, was Chelsea's first choice target and whilst his goal ratio is good this season he's had his critics.

So yeah Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?
I wonder why you never asked yourself why Jose decided on Lukaku over Morata in the summer and also did you not ask yourself if you really should make this thread?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Even Conte has no idea what the feck is up with Morata. He's a fraud who wants out

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nope. Lukaku is having a good season and Morata, whilst starting off well - has shit the bed.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
with all Lukakus flaws, he'll still score 25+ goals this season probably...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just said similar in the Lacazette thread. I think all three big striker purchases in the summer were overpriced and not good enough. Swapping one not-good-enough striker for another not-good-enough is futile.

Where have all the good strikers gone?

Craig Bellendy

NO

I must say i prefer morata's style over Lukaku's him being a more technical player but other than that he's nothing special.

Would trade smalling for him though.

ZAGREB RED

No, I don't think Morata really wants to be in England anyway. He would rather back in Spain, or more specifically, Madrid, judging by his recent comments.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Surely this is a completely pointless thread, as Morata has proven himself to be a flop, and Lukaku has proven himself to be quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.