Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If it really came down to getting rid of Lukaku, unlikely as that is, my answer is very different now versus before signing Alexis:

I'd be happy building around Sanchez, Rashford and Martial up top. So then I vote swap Lukaku for Kante assuming Chelsea.
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Such a shame we were in disarray when he left Leicester. Would have been such an incredible signing. This will be his first season in England when he doesn't win the league. Maybe he fancies a change of scenery in the summer...

davidmichael

If I’m honest I think the only strikers I’d swap Lukaku for in the league would be Kane or Aguero so no I wouldn’t swap Lukaku for Morata, at 24-25 years old Lukaku has a chance to get much better and he’ll always get chances to score playing for us.

What I do think though is Lukaku NOT being indispensable up top especially if he’s going through a bad spell, the signing of Sanchez means Rashford has no need to be used wide anymore so should be used in rotation with Lukaku through the middle which is where his long term future surely lies so it’s best to get him to master that role.

IRELANDUNITED

First of all i know this probably would never happen, but just after a deal involving 2 of England's biggest clubs and 2 great players (Sanchez and Mkhitaryan) in a straight swap deal, if Chelsea proposed a similar deal in the summer for a straight swap Morata for Lukaku would you take it? Would Mourinho take it?

I think it's fair to say Morata hasn't settled well at Chelsea, only showed glimpses of his talent, but was Jose Mourihno's first choice striker in the summer. Similar story with Lukaku, was Chelsea's first choice target and whilst his goal ratio is good this season he's had his critics.

So yeah Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?
You're only half right with the first highlighted statement, Sanchez is a great player, Mkhitaryan isn't.

Second point, do you know Mourinho personally? Has he told you that Morata was his first choice or is there some other way that you know with absolute certainty that this is the case?

eat_grass

Morata would have ended up just like Mkhitaryan.
In what way? Morata's first game with Chelsea (Community Shield vs Arsenal) saw him 1) play Arsenal on-side for the game-tying goal late in the game, 2) miss the goal entirely on his penalty shot during the shootout loss.

If that doesn't break a player mentally, nothing will. Mkhit wouldn't have survived that; Mkhit couldn't survive the mental strain of Mourinho "ask[ing] so much from his players." Morata not only survived it, he was dragging Chelsea to second place in the table before Christmas.

Mkhitaryan and Morata couldn't be more different if they tried.

SER19

Wouldn't swap a lukaku sticker for morata.

Bizarre thread, morata has been really poor overall

ti vu

Sure. Morata + sufficient amount cash to buy Kane, then Chelsea can have Lukaku. Morata ain't too bad back up forward for Kane. I can live with that.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So you would take Chelsea’s striker, pool’s, Tottenham’s and Arsenal’s ahead of ours? The grass truly is greener. Formino? Really. Well well. And Morata.
What does this have to do with anything, mate? If you want to have a semi-reasonable discussion, you'd do well to argue in a reasoned way - as opposed to making accusatory and inane 'Really. Well well" remarks that add nothing to the discussion. Some of these teams are stronger in certain positions, according to me anyway - center forward is one of them, according to me. And yes, Firmino. Really. He is very versatile, selfless, defensively capable in a front-to-back approach - an all-round industrious forward with better spatial awareness and more intuitive movement, again according to me - definitely the type of attacker that would thrive with both Sánchez and Martial in a withdrawn role in a dynamic forward trident. Plus, since many find it hard to look beyond raw, superficial stats when comparing players (because pure production data doesn't account for the myriad complexities) - he has 17 goals and 8 assists in roughly 2375 minutes in the League and European competitions vs. 16 goals and 5 assists in roughly 2675 minutes in the League and European competitions for Lukaku with better secondary attacking stats (needs a minor update).

So there you go. Mind, stats can be poor representation of players in isolation - just to reiterate a previous point, and I don't think José has appreciation for players of Firmino's ilk - so it's an unproductive exercise all things considered, as he would never opt for Firmino over Lukaku because the latter is used in a more conventional striker role. Then again, the OP proposes - “straight swap would you”, so I was just giving my personal opinion.

ti vu

What does this have to do with anything, mate? If you want to have a semi-reasonable discussion, you'd do well to argue in a reasoned way - as opposed to making accusatory and inane 'Really. Well well" remarks that add nothing to the discussion. Some of these teams are stronger in certain positions, according to me anyway - center forward is one of them, according to me. And yes, Firmino. Really. He is very versatile, selfless, defensively capable in a front-to-back approach - an all-round industrious forward with better spatial awareness and more intuitive movement, again according to me - definitely the type of attacker that would thrive with both Sánchez and Martial in a withdrawn role in a dynamic forward trident. Plus, since many find it hard to look beyond raw, superficial stats when comparing players (because pure production data doesn't account for the myriad complexities) - he has 17 goals and 8 assists in roughly 2375 minutes in the League and European competitions vs. 16 goals and 5 assists in roughly 2675 minutes in the League and European competitions for Lukaku with better secondary attacking stats (needs a minor update).

So there you go. Mind, stats can be poor representation of players in isolation - just to reiterate a previous point, and I don't think José has appreciation for players of Firmino's ilk - so it's an unproductive exercise all things considered, as he would never opt for Firmino over Lukaku because the latter is used in a more conventional striker role. Then again, the OP proposes - “straight swap would you”, so I was just giving my personal opinion.
Mourinho definitely needs a forward (either wing forward, or central forward) who possess great ability to score aerially. Firminio is not as good in this aspect. Our options for wide forwards can't cover this aspect either so I have to disagree.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Why do I keep seeing this? United must have topped some list this year! :lol:
I would say that turnover and fan base are the two best measurements for how big a club is.

We have the most turnover and, probably, the most fans around the world.

I didn’t say the most successful club.

simplyared

Interesting thought but definately no. Which means I haven't changed my stance regarding my own valuation of both players, 6 months on. Since October it would be fair to say Lukaku has been disappointing to say the least and Morata certainly hasn't rocked anyone's boat at Chelsea. Both have totally different styles of play. Morata relying on his technique often falls short in the PL due to his lack of strength against top defenders. Also he is dependant on having someone beside him who can read him. Lukaku has already proved he can mix it in the PL and can score plenty of goals. A more direct player with good pace for a big man. For some reason not performing at the level he was at with his previous club. Morata has reached his peak imo whereas Lukaku has still a lot more to offer and can prove to be a key player for us. Getting his name on the score sheet will be paramount for him and the club. Time we stopped heaping praise on him for making the odd assist. It's goals we want. Top scorer in the PL next season should be his target!

Hawks2008

Either way we're gonna have an average striker, just gonna pick Lukaku since he's already here.

Von Mistelroum

It's weird to see this narrative that we wanted Morata still going on. It was really clear at the time that we had wanted Lukaku and had stumped Chelsea for him, leaving them, and him, pretty upset. They decided to sign him as they had lost out on Lukaku who was first choice for both clubs.

Martial

I definitely would.
I feel like ideally Jose would have preferred Morata over Lukaku, however the situation where Morata is new to the league, and whose body has never been through the rigours of being a first-choice striker for an entire season in any league, never-mind the Premier League, meant he went for Lukaku.

With Conte now suggesting Morata's back issues may keep him out for the rest of the season, after already having hamstring issues earlier this season, I think Jose probably made the right call. If we bought Morata and he had the same injury issues, we wouldn't have had a hope for top 4.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I feel like ideally Jose would have preferred Morata over Lukaku, however the situation where Morata is new to the league, and whose body has never been through the rigours of being a first-choice striker for an entire season in any league, never-mind the Premier League, meant he went for Lukaku.

With Conte now suggesting Morata's back issues may keep him out for the rest of the season, after already having hamstring issues earlier this season, I think Jose probably made the right call. If we bought Morata and he had the same injury issues, we wouldn't have had a hope for top 4.
Yeah of course the injuries are a problem for Morata. That said, only a handful of players (Kane, Aguero, Salah, Sterling, & Martial) have a better goals per minute ratio in the league this year, so if he can get his injuries sorted, he will be quite a player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Morata not for me over Lukaku at this stage. Kane yes but that’s a mile off.

SER19

Never been so glad to have not signed a player, he’s an embarrassment. A second half hat trick wouldn’t change that either. Every time I see him he spends more time on top of the ref or on the ground than in the box, and has the body language of somebody born to complain and be a victim on the pitch.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nah, Morata's not really been any better than Lukaku.

Jonno

Never been so glad to have not signed a player, he’s an embarrassment. A second half hat trick wouldn’t change that either. Every time I see him he spends more time on top of the ref or on the ground than in the box, and has the body language of somebody born to complain and be a victim on the pitch.
For a tall strong lad, he’s a bit cringeworthy going down as much as he does. That’s the La Liga in him.

Robbie Boy

He's fecking gash. Big shout out to all the Lukaku haters who told us this clown was so much better.

gaucho_10

Lucky for United that offside was called. It clearly wasn't offside and if Morata's goal stood no one would be bumping this thread.

They are different players, both decent but far from world class.

cyril C

No. But if you can merge Morata into Lukaku then perfect at any cost. Lukaku edge over Morata for his #9 role and able to hold the ball better, remember he can bully weak CB as well (incl Chelsea). While Morata can turn in some brilliant strike, for league game Lukaku's contribution is more important.

Member 90887

Lucky for United that offside was called. It clearly wasn't offside and if Morata's goal stood no one would be bumping this thread.

Of course it would have been, Morata was absolutely shit today and has been for the past few months. at least for this year, there's no contest between the two.

SirAF

Ageist

It was. Marginally, but it was.

krazyrobus

Morata's weakness is flopping over like a bitch everytime he is touched. He probably has the physical tools to be better than Lukaku but his mentality is shit.
I used to get irritated when SAF and Keane used to use the word character. I felt it was a cop-out for saying player with no talent but more and more I see character is the making of a player.

Ekeke

I dont think Chris Smalling has ever tackled a player so much in his career than he did with Morata.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Thread was bumped before that happened.

I don't think he was "clearly" onside. It was incredibly tight, but regardless - the call was made before he took his shot. Lindelof stopped playing once he saw the flag, as did Young. De Gea didn't look to make a proper save, he just sat down. If there's no call or flag, I doubt the ball ends up in the net.

Marcky411

NO, wouldn’t even consider it but at the same time don’t think Lukaku is good enough to be our first choice striker, to much lacking in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.