Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM K

NO, wouldn’t even consider it but at the same time don’t think Lukaku is good enough to be our first choice striker, to much lacking in his game.

What is lacking in Lukaku's game minus the famed bad 'first touch'?

The kid is a superb player. He runs like a mad man, he fights, his positioning is good, he is strong, he has a great left foot, he has a great cross in him, he has an eye for goals, etc. He may not be your Lewandowski or even Kane, but we'll see how that goes once the team around him clicks well.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not a chance. If Conte starts his best XI based on play and not how much someone cost then I won't be surprised to see Morata lose his place to Giroud...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Morata was unlucky today tbf. Hit the bar and had a legitimate goal ruled offside.

thejtrain

Regardless of today, I wouldn't have taken him. That said, Lukaku wasn't particularly great so far either. Yes he doesn't get the service, but he's way too clumsy with the ball. Today's performance and result must have done him a world of good!

el3mel

This thread was stupid at first and it looks even more stupid now. For all complaints anyone can have about Lukaku, Morata is having a terrible season so far. He's far worse than Lukaku and his position as the main striker in his club is in danger.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Morata was unlucky today tbf. Hit the bar and had a legitimate goal ruled offside.
He was also awful in basically every other moment though. We give Lukaku shit for his hold-up play but he's Didier Drogba compared to that spanish fairy. I was so relieved that Giroud isn't starting today.

El Zoido

Morata has looked extremely average. This is why we paid the premium for Premier League proven, Morata right now looks like he’s struggling in this league.

cyberman

I don't understand why he doesn't get more criticism for that miss. Alan Smith said you couldn't fault the contact but he sacrificed accuracy for power and lost control of the ball.
Lukaku had a similar chance v Huddersfield and he placed it in the corner.
It was an unnecessary risk to take.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The way Lukaku's overall play has improved, even when you compare him to as recent as Euro 2016, is absolutely staggering.

Carl

Think you'll find that VAR would have ruled it out. Morata's shoulder was offside and you can score with your shoulder. I'd even say half his head is offside.
Not from the still I've seen.

Carl

The way Lukaku's overall play has improved, even when you compare him to as recent as Euro 2016, is absolutely staggering.
It really has. He's come on absolutely loads so far.

Kostov

Lucky for United that offside was called. It clearly wasn't offside and if Morata's goal stood no one would be bumping this thread.

They are different players, both decent but far from world class.
That's karma for all the diving and cheating he's been performing all season. Either way, an overrated flower and Lukaku is a much better striker.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
12 in 34 is just not anywhere good enough for £60 million first choice striker at a club like Chelsea.

Moiraine

So the media has eyes closed on Morata's Great run of form. Its now 10 games without scoring.
But they don't care, they have Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and other United players to dissect.

Morpheus 7

Morata hasn't got to grips with the physicality of the league, he's on the floor way too much. Chelsea fans weren't impressed with him on there fans channels on Sunday. He seems a bit fragile mentally, has been took our off the team a bit. I still think he's a very good player but will need a season to adapt, Chelsea need to adapt to his play too. I don't think he's strong enough to be a target man in this league. Lukaku is more adapted to the league, he would score even more if he was getting better service in the box. I think he's offered more to United even when he isn't scoring. Think his first touch is improving and Sunday will give him loads of confidence for the rest of the season.

el3mel

Morata's physicality issues is the thing I'm surprised most with. He's still playing as if it's la Liga, every fall will grant him a foul or penalty. He's not weak at all but he doesn't even bother entering a physical fight and chose the easiest choice: to fall and try to get something. If he remains like this he won't last long in this country.

GM K

Why in the world would anyone want to swap Lukaku for Morata? Only Kane and Aguero are better than him in the league and that would change if the team around him improves. The kid is a beast.

Scholsey2004

No Lukaku's been really good. 22 goals so far in a debut season. Morata on the other hand has struggled. When we were all arguing about him over the summer one of the criticisms was his goal record was more like Danny welbeck than a top striker. The argument against that was he was often played on the left rather than up front. He's had a chance playing consistently up front for a big side now and that hasn't changed.

Wilt

Why in the world would anyone want to swap Lukaku for Morata? Only Kane and Aguero are better than him in the league and that would change if the team around him improves. The kid is a beast.
From what I've seen this season, I'd swap any of them for Salah.

GM K

Fair enough. Only problem is that you don't want to base such a judgement on one season. I want to see how Salah will fare next season. Aguero, Kane and Lukaku have shown consistency. I particularly admire Lukaku because he has never really settled in one place. He has moved around a lot in his young career and proven himself more often than not. It takes something special to adapt quickly to new environments when it comes to football.

Offsideagain

Morata spent most of the game on Sunday on his arse. Another falling over guy. Lukaku will be a great addition to the team. Andy Cole used to get grief most weeks for missing chances. To answer to question, no I wouldn’t swap and Morata’s missus wouldn’t come up north anyhow.

Todd

No way. Lukaku is going to score plenty of goals for us every season, and he does a pretty good job of setting goals up for others as well- something he probably doesn't get enough credit for.

reddevil702

Wouldn't swap them but I wouldn't mind United buying Morata if Chelsea are selling him this summer. Having him play the role he played at Real or Juve is something United have been missing since Chicharito was here.

ZAGREB RED

No, I was in the Morata camp in the summer when it was him or Lukaku for United, but Lukaku looks the better buy now. Cost more, but has a decent goal return and also contributes in terms of being a target man. Hopefully the goal against Chelsea will mean he will start scoring in the big games now.

Infra-red

I wouldn't swap them at this moment - I do think Morata is the better footballer, but thus far he hasn't adapted well to the physicality of the Premier League. We'll probably have to wait till this time next year to know who really got the better deal, but I suspect that neither player will ever quite reach 'world-class' status.

OverratedOpinion

Maybe. He has had a great season but he plays for a much more attacking team. He's never shown himself to be this level of player or anywhere close until this season.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Incredible stat I heard on a podcast- since october Morata has 9 yellows and 8 goals + assists

Kag

Morata's real, crushing issue is that he doesn't score goals.

Just look at his numbers. He's played for Juventus, Madrid and now Chelsea and the lack of consistent goalscoring is the only real consistency in his game.

Yes, there are reasons that may partly explain this - and there's always the possibility he explodes - but at present I don't see that happening any time soon. Not for this Chelsea side.

Chairman Woodie

I don't see what Morata would bring to United that Lukaku can't provide. No doubt Lukaku can be even better. But that should not over shadow his qualities (i.e strength, pace, calmness in front of goal). He also has a proven goalscoring track record. Again, Lukaku has score over twenty goals this season, despite the harsh criticism levelled at him.

lex talionis

When the transfers took place I really thought Chelsea got the better striker. But based on what we've seen so far this season you'd have to say United got the better striker.

Lukaku went through a long run of poor form but he's turned it around in recent weeks and is looking more like a complete striker with every passing game. He's still a bit raw in his technique but the goals and assists are coming in. And now against a big club. There can be no complaints.

Tarrou

I've never been entirely convinced by either but I'm warming to Lukaku and Morata seems like a right fanny.

Status
Not open for further replies.