5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Well, that's a bit too much to ask.

I don't see anything from that video that he is capable to be "just as effective replacement for Carrick".

It's like saying, Fellaini can be just as effective replacement for Scholes by watching this video.

[/QUOTE]
Fellaini has had his value for us in the past, and we've even played some of our best football with him. He can be a lot shit as well at times, but he is a better player than most people give him.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Good post. People hate him because he is tall and was bought by Moyes. Even Mourinho defending him against the fans didn't make any difference to this mob.
He isnt the most gifted player and not very easy on the eye, and yes he should be nowhere near a starter but the way our fans treat him is pathetic, he's always been giving his best to the club, no complaints and any fuss, funnily we were getting more results with him in the team than we are now even this season. He does what the manager requires from him (usually, was shit this weekend).

Mike09

Bloody hell. If this was a youtube video of some young midfielder from Serbia, we would be all creaming ourselves at the thought of him signing for us. Confirms that you should never rely on Youtube videos!
Mate, that's actually my point. We shouldn't rely on YouTube. They both used a video of Schneiderlin which one of them think that Schneiderlin can be very effective to be Carrick's replacement. So I used Fellaini to tell him that by watching YouTube video we can also say Fellaini can be very effective to be Scholes's replacement.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His performance that season was overrated by his sympathizers simply because of all the criticism he took. Fellaini was merely par for the course and he only scored two more goals than Chris Smalling that season FFS. It just goes to show how badly things have gone in the last three seasons.
What does goals matter especially given he played most of the season in a midfield role? And no, it wasn't really overrated. He had some very good games against the big teams as well. But as @Sammyjunn said quite correctly, Fellaini can't build up any credit whatsoever. One bad performance and everything is forgotten and he's always been shite. Unlike Schneiderlin, who seems to have built up an unlimited amount of credit for doing literally nothing. He's a painfully limited player and the kind that makes you check the teamsheet again to make sure he's really playing.

I asked this last season and got a lot of pseudo intellectual bullshit responses but what is this guy actually good at? He's not a DM because he's fecking terrible defensively and lets his man off with alarming regularity (Something Fellaini got plenty of stick for). For a box to box midfielder his attacking contribution and passing are not good enough. So we have a midfielder whos not good defensively and very sub standard passer. Southampton is about his level where he can get away with this kind of crap.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Spot on.

Because Fellaini is the superior player. He was better for Everton than Schneiderlin was for Southampton and both LvG and Mourinho (good managers) appear to rate Fellaini higher. I have NO idea why people have such a high opinion of Schneiderlin, he has done less than nothing for us. He's been a terrible, terrible signing.
Schniederlin was rated as one of the best midfielders in the league at Saints. Fellaini has never been close to that level. No other top club would ever have signed Fellaini but a few had interest in Schniederlin.

The only thing Fellaini is better at is heading the ball and bringing it down on his chest and that's effective in both boxes. We should value other qualities imo.

Varun

Staff
Both are effective is specific roles, neither of which we use. That's all there is to it really, neither are shit players as they've shown in their career before coming to us. Schneiderlin was never going to be a Carrick replacement, all the talk when we signed him was how he'd play alongside him as a b2b mid. Not sure why history is being rewritten and him being labelled as someone who failed to replace Carrick seeing as he never had the passing range or the defensive awareness to sit back and play Carrick's role. Fellaini, again, average CM who excelled as a target man who started deep at Everton, did all his best work in the opposition box by making himself a nuisance. Shock horror that he hasn't excelled as a CM.

Mike09

Schniederlin was rated as one of the best midfielders in the league at Saints. Fellaini has never been close to that level. No other top club would ever have signed Fellaini but a few had interest in Schniederlin.

The only thing Fellaini is better at is heading the ball and bringing it down on his chest and that's effective in both boxes. We should value other qualities imo.
Would you call it as a being overrated? It seems everyone overrated him back then with Wanyama was being underrated. Schneiderlin at United is clearly such a limited footballer without any ability to be a top class midfielder at top club expectation and nor versatile either.

Bubz27

Would you call it as a being overrated? It seems everyone overrated him back then with Wanyama was being underrated. Schneiderlin at United is clearly such a limited footballer without any ability to be a top class midfielder at top club expectation and nor versatile either.
I honestly feel if Schniederlin was at Liverpool or Arsenal or Chelsea he'd be showing his worth right now.

That means I think the problems here run deeper than any player. You just have to look at the number of signings that are underperforming.

Dobbs

Not something you've seen in a United midfielder? We've had lots of midfielders who did that. Ander and Pogba have done that and they're our best midfielders.
Sorry I meant to say he hides in games. It's not possible for a DM to be so uninvolved unless he purposely doing it.

Midfielders have up and down games but I don't recall another one who dodged getting on the ball.

Treble

He'll go to a team like Everton and will be very useful there.

Smores

Fellaini had a stormer of a year for Everton, peope really do revise history based on current opinions.

Schneiderlins only deemed better by some here by way of having too few games to take abuse. Fellaini has at least offered us a handful fo excellent games a season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fellaini had a stormer of a year for Everton, peope really do revise history based on current opinions.

Schneiderlins only deemed better by some here by way of having too few games to take abuse. Fellaini has at least offered us a handful fo excellent games a season.
Not as a defensive midfielder for Everton though, IIRC. His best moments/matches came from more advanced positions. Schneiderlin was a midfield beast, and as far as destroyers or a box-to-box role goes he was always better in a Southampton shirt than Fellaini was in an Everton one.

Crashoutcassius

Prob doesn't help fellaini when our own fans have booed him. We honestly have some of the worst fans in the league, that will boo a player doing his best, and also assume they know more than three successive managers with excellent pedigrees that play felli.

I'm wondering how you justify in your head this position? I can understand that you convinced yourself that you were smarter than moyes and maybe even van gaal, despite his status as a legendary manager, but mourinho ?

CG1010

Mate, that's actually my point. We shouldn't rely on YouTube. They both used a video of Schneiderlin which one of them think that Schneiderlin can be very effective to be Carrick's replacement. So I used Fellaini to tell him that by watching YouTube video we can also say Fellaini can be very effective to be Scholes's replacement.
Yup, and I agree with you.

Bubz27

A stormer of a year as what? A battering ram upfront?

Did you want to sign Fellaini? Were you happy when we signed him? Do you think we'll play the football so many of us desire with him in the team?

Ekeke

Sorry I meant to say he hides in games. It's not possible for a DM to be so uninvolved unless he purposely doing it.

Midfielders have up and down games but I don't recall another one who dodged getting on the ball.
I dont understand this because he was more involved than our other midfielders last season.

You might not have noticed him, if thats what you mean. But the stats suggest he was more involved than the others.

He averaged over 90 passes a game in the champions league, and 50 in the premier league. Thats more than Carrick in the champions league and only 5 less in the premier league matches. That isnt to say that he's as good a passer as Carrick, of course he isnt, but you dont make that many passes on average if you are "hiding" or "invisible". Thats just your perception. Maybe you don't personally notice him as much. Maybe you personally want more from him. But it doesn't change that he was out there and getting involved, whether he was completely convincing or not.

Ekeke

How is Schneiderlin a better holding midfielder in your view? I'm not saying Fellaini is better I'm just curious how can you assume that Schneiderlin is better? I agree with @Boycott both players are equally poor. Fellaini offers more for set pieces and Fellaini did well at the start of season when he was given a chance, that's why he got picked ahead of Schneiderlin this season.
He notices danger for one thing and tries to snuff it out. Doesn't give away as many dangerous freekicks, or put his elbows in people's faces. He's a better passer and more mobile.

Kag

Schneiderlin is considerably better than Wanyama and you'd be hard pushed finding a Spurs fan that disagrees with that. Their current situations only serve as proof of timing in football.

Dobbs

I dont understand this because he was more involved than our other midfielders last season.

You might not have noticed him, if thats what you mean. But the stats suggest he was more involved than the others.

He averaged over 90 passes a game in the champions league, and 50 in the premier league. Thats more than Carrick in the champions league and only 5 less in the premier league matches. That isnt to say that he's as good a passer as Carrick, of course he isnt, but you dont make that many passes on average if you are "hiding" or "invisible". Thats just your perception. Maybe you don't personally notice him as much. Maybe you personally want more from him. But it doesn't change that he was out there and getting involved, whether he was completely convincing or not.
When posters say supporters can't see what Carrick does I often disagree but I get what they're saying. There's absolutely no way you can use that argument for Schneiderlin. His game isn't complicated, what he can and can't do is obvious.

Looking at your stats they don't help your argument. The figure for Europe is based on a 7 game sample. In the EPL his number of passes is almost halved. That should ring your alarm bells. 50 passes for the defensive midfielder in a team obsessed with possession cannot be characterised as being involved. That's a guy on the fringes of a game.

Herrera and Pogba are much higher than that this season in a slightly more direct team.

Then there's using your eyes rather than the above stats. It's clear he disappears in games.

Ekeke

When posters say supporters can't see what Carrick does I often disagree but I get what they're saying. There's absolutely no way you can use that argument for Schneiderlin. His game isn't complicated, what he can and can't do is obvious.

Looking at your stats they don't help your argument. The figure for Europe is based on a 7 game sample. In the EPL his number of passes is almost halved. That should ring your alarm bells. 50 passes for the defensive midfielder in a team obsessed with possession cannot be characterised as being involved. That's a guy on the fringes of a game.

Herrera and Pogba are much higher than that this season in a slightly more direct team.

Then there's using your eyes rather than the above stats. It's clear he disappears in games.
How can you think 50 or 90 passes doesnt help the argument that someone is actually on the pitch and hasnt dissappeared?

He hasnt disappeared, you just dont rate his work. Justified or otherwise.

Dobbs

How can you think 50 or 90 passes doesnt help the argument that someone is actually on the pitch and hasnt dissappeared?
I think you've gone very literal with this. I wasn't suggesting he actually disappeared.

Mike09

He notices danger for one thing and tries to snuff it out. Doesn't give away as many dangerous freekicks, or put his elbows in people's faces. He's a better passer and more mobile.
I think you are talking some nonsense here about Schneiderlin or you haven't notice that Schneiderlin doesn't do the stuff you mentioned.

Firstly, he doesn't notices danger at all. He was clearly ball watching when we conceded a goal against Arsenal this season.
I remember the Chelsea game last season when we had the 1-0 lead and were under counter attacked, Schneiderlin was caught jogging instead of running to drop back and we end up conceded a goal from that counter attack. Some of the goals that we conceded last season actually came from his errors.

Second, doesn't put an elbow on people's face has nothing to do with being a good holding midfielder

Third, better passer? Both players are poor with their passing ability. I thought everyone at red cafe agree that Schneiderlin's main weakness is actually his passing.

And the last one is being more mobile doesn't make you a better holding midfielder. Being mobile is more suitable for box to box not a holding midfielder.

Can't we just admit that both Schneiderlin and Fellaini are equally poor? The main reason why Fellaini is ahead of Schneiderlin because of him being more useful for set pieces and Fellaini was performing well at the start of season while Schneiderlin failed to impress Mourinho when he was given a chance in Europa League and cup games.

Ekeke

I think you are talking some nonsense here about Schneiderlin or you haven't notice that Schneiderlin doesn't do the stuff you mentioned.

Firstly, he doesn't notices danger at all. He was clearly ball watching when we conceded a goal against Arsenal this season.
I remember the Chelsea game last season when we had the 1-0 lead and were under counter attacked, Schneiderlin was caught jogging instead of running to drop back and we end up conceded a goal from that counter attack. Some of the goals that we conceded last season actually came from his errors.

Second, doesn't put an elbow on people's face has nothing to do with being a good holding midfielder

Third, better passer? Both players are poor with their passing ability. I thought everyone at red cafe agree that Schneiderlin's main weakness is actually his passing.

And the last one is being more mobile doesn't make you a better holding midfielder. Being mobile is more suitable for box to box not a holding midfielder.

Can't we just admit that both Schneiderlin and Fellaini are equally poor? The main reason why Fellaini is ahead of Schneiderlin because of him being more useful for set pieces and Fellaini was performing well at the start of season while Schneiderlin failed to impress Mourinho when he was given a chance in Europa League and cup games.
So he failed once or twice and therefore can't be good at it?

Carrick has had performances where he gave the ball away a bunch of times, does that mean he's a bad passer of the ball?

Not elbowing people and therefore being less likely to be booked or suspended doesnt help?

Its fine to dislike a player, just dont call it reason.

Ekeke

I think you've gone very literal with this. I wasn't suggesting he actually disappeared.
As I said, he was one of our most active and involved midfielders statistically last season.

Again, you might not rate the work he did and that would be fair because its your opinion. But he did the work so he was clearly participating in the match more than Fellaini, Ander, etc so its a strange complaint.

Dante

Average bang
He won't play again for Mourinho, except in a crisis.

Schneidelin left Giroud unmarked for Arsenal's equaliser a few weeks ago, and it's hardly a one-off. I've said this before, but Schneiderlin is the worst (nominally) defensive player I've seen at marking his man on aerial balls into the box.

I remember specifically watching him at set-plays last year and not seeing him win a single header in about 7 games on the trot. He ended up being designated as the bloke who stands outside the box on corners after that.

Mike09

So he failed once or twice and therefore can't be good at it?

Carrick has had performances where he gave the ball away a bunch of times, does that mean he's a bad passer of the ball?

Not elbowing people and therefore being less likely to be booked or suspended doesnt help?

Its fine to dislike a player, just dont call it reason.
You are being silly, do you expect me to mention every single of his failure moment? That would be a lot of writing mate, I have no time for that. I'm using two of these as references or examples. If you read through my post, I did say some of the goals we conceded actually came from his error. So I wasn't only talking about two failures!!

Being less likely to be booked has nothing to do with being a better holding midfielder. Would you say Carrick is a better holding midfielder than Keane because Carrick has less chance likely to be booked than Keane?

It's not fine if you are overratting player when he has done nothing at all. Never had a single great game in his career with us. I was being fair to say both Fellaini and Schneiderlin are equally poor and not United quality but you are overratting Schneiderlin like he's a messiah to be our holding midfielder. Credit is given where it is due, but what kind of credit that Schneiderlin deserves to received?

Edit: and I can't believe you are trying to compare Carrick's passing ability with Schneiderlin's. That's ridiculous though.

Last edited:

Mike09

He won't play again for Mourinho, except in a crisis.

Schneidelin left Giroud unmarked for Arsenal's equaliser a few weeks ago, and it's hardly a one-off. I've said this before, but Schneiderlin is the worst (nominally) defensive player I've seen at marking his man on aerial balls into the box.

I remember specifically watching him at set-plays last year and not seeing him win a single header in about 7 games on the trot. He ended up being designated as the bloke who stands outside the box on corners after that.
Yea tell this guy aka @Ekeke

flappyjay

Sky say West brom have bid 18m for him could we spark an auction between them and Everton maybe?

Big Andy

Bloke
Had a Medical at Everton yesterday...

Lad I know, his mate has a knee op yesterday and Schneiderlin was there with the Everton medical team...

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Looks to be on his way out. Sadly never made the step up after joining United. He was the one player I felt was the perfect fit and exactly what the team needed.... Well well

Ixion

Actually surprised me when I read he's only played 11 minutes in the league, I knew it wasn't much but not that. He must offer absolutely nothing in training.

prateik

Di Marzio saying Everton have offered 40m for him and Depay.

The annoying thing is, I expect both to do well there.

Loublaze

ATLien
Actually surprised me when I read he's only played 11 minutes in the league, I knew it wasn't much but not that. He must offer absolutely nothing in training.
Could be true but I think that's rubbish. Mourinho just doesn't rate him. I don't think Fellaini is so good in training to deserve more apps than more talented players. I just don't think Mourinho wants any of the LVG signings. Shaw and Herrera were really club signings that LVG signed off on, and Herrera had to prove his worth to Mourinho as Felliani was preferred at first. Same with Blind, and Darmian was frozen out too at first

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Schneiderlin is considerably better than Wanyama and you'd be hard pushed finding a Spurs fan that disagrees with that. Their current situations only serve as proof of timing in football.
I don't know...we have Spurs fans on here that wouldn't accept Pogba would walk in their team!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Di Marzio saying Everton have offered 40m for him and Depay.

The annoying thing is, I expect both to do well there.

No chance, as £40m actually sounds like a good deal.

And we don't get good deals for our cast offs :lol:

£40m, and a little clause in Depay's contract, something to safeguard us if he somehow magics intt the best player ever, and we'd all snap the hands off that offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.