Morocco in joint bid with Spain and Portugal to host 2030 World Cup

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Morocco in joint bid with Spain and Portugal to host 2030 World Cup
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64957861

Glad to see this bid back on the cards - would be my favourite by far covering Europe, Africa and the Arab world.
Was mooted in the past but then Spain and Morocco fell out over some unrelated political issues (still plenty of time for them to fall out again and scupper the bid!)

Spain/Portugal then tried for the sympathy vote by adding Ukraine instead of Morocco.

Morocco meanwhile started talking about a North African World Cup but Saudi Arabia fecked that with a bizarre triple bid (Saudi, Egypt, Greece?!).

Anyway Africa are due another World Cup and Morocco's strong showing in the last WC makes it as good an option as any.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Now this makes so much more sense than Ukraine being part of it. Given it's the centenary WC I would think the South American bid is probably the favourite ahead of this.

That being said it would be totally unsurprising if the rumoured Saudi bid got it. You can see them trying to set it up. The only thing that might thwart it is I can't see UEFA and Conmebol tolerating another winter World Cup( moral reasons for not giving to Saudi not withstanding)

Phil

Yeah this would be great for a million reasons, would be really up for it.

..So it’ll go to Saudi.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Now this makes so much more sense than Ukraine being part of it. Given it's the centenary WC I would think the South American bid is probably the favourite ahead of this.

That being said it would be totally unsurprising if the rumoured Saudi bid got it. You can see them trying to set it up. The only thing that might thwart it is I can't see UEFA and Conmebol tolerating another winter World Cup( moral reasons for not giving to Saudi not withstanding)
I guess it's about which bids get the most support of their confederation - I'd assume UEFA would be more like to get behind Spain/Portugal rather than Greece but who knows

Also wonder whether even a Spain/Morocco World Cup would be better in winter - I certainly wouldn't discount it since that box has now been opened

Abizzz

All three countries have proper fan bases and football fanatics. I'd still prefer for it to be in one country, but seems that is becoming increasingly unlikely, so this has my approval.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
All three would be great countries for it, but these joint bids, cool as they are in some ways, involve a hell of a lot of travelling and expense for fans, let alone the carbon footprint.

Member 125398

All three would be great countries for it, but these joint bids, cool as they are in some ways, involve a hell of a lot of travelling and expense for fans, let alone the carbon footprint.
It's possible to travel fom the north of Portugal to the southern tip of Spain fuelled only by red wine and ham.

MDFC Manager

Hopefully the shambolic 48 team experiment will be dropped in time for this one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:confused:

La liga started august 12th last year. August 13th the year before.
The World Cup is played in July. The hottest month of the year in Spain. I'm not sure what's so complicated about this. Last July they had temperatures of up to 47 degrees in some parts. The last few years they've had crippling heatwaves in July that lots of people have died from. Even at night, like you suggest, temperatures were still in the high 30's.

And what's the solution with the night anyway? Play all 4 games after 8 or 9pm? That's nuts.

Jeffthered

Interesting to see how they promote that.. is it an Iberian World Cup? The World Cup of the inquisition...lol...

I think a World Cup with a North African theme, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia would be incredible, they are football mad countries.. but maybe the infrastructure and costs do not add up.

I also envisage a Scandinavian World Cup at some point which would be v v classy and incredibly well organised no doubt...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Its just a personal preference, but I really enjoy tournaments when they are located in one nation. It feels easier to connect with the whole thing when it has some sort of identity. Like the 94 world cup in the US, or the South African WC and the intense vuvuzela onslaught.

Korwas

By 2030 extreme summers will be a very regular occurrence in Portugal and Spain, sadly.
I think it would be better to start the world cup during late spring/early summer than winter. Start the season a few days early and remove a few international games and have the final in early June instead of July. That should keep the temperatures in check.

Massive Spanner

I think it would be better to start the world cup during late spring/early summer than winter. Start the season a few days early and remove a few international games and have the final in early June instead of July. That should keep the temperatures in check.
Yeah, I don't want another mid-season world cup so this seems the best solution. Start the previous season a little earlier than usual.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Great host countries, but I agree that the heat might become a potential issue. Then again Brazil, Japan and South Korea are also pretty stifling in the summer. Way more humid too.

Abizzz

The World Cup is played in July. The hottest month of the year in Spain. I'm not sure what's so complicated about this. Last July they had temperatures of up to 47 degrees in some parts. The last few years they've had crippling heatwaves in July that lots of people have died from. Even at night, like you suggest, temperatures were still in the high 30's.

And what's the solution with the night anyway? Play all 4 games after 8 or 9pm? That's nuts.
There's nothing complicated about it at all. If moving it to winter was an option surely moving it to August is one too!? Your post sounded like they just stop playing for a quarter of the year which simply isn't true. I've seen more than one la liga game start at 10pm and I don't see any problem with having every game after 8pm. Local customs and all.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The answer is all world cups in Wales.

Never too hot.

RoyH1

Great host countries, but I agree that the heat might become a potential issue. Then again Brazil, Japan and South Korea are also pretty stifling in the summer. Way more humid too.
A lot of late games depending on the geography. Northern cities like Bilbao or San Sebastian can have reasonable weather but playing 90 minutes of football during a summer day in Sevilla is not feasible imo.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
but playing 90 minutes of football during a summer day in Sevilla is not feasible imo.
How did the players make it through the 2002 world cup then? I picked Osaka for my example, but Tokyo, Yokohama, Saitama are very similar.

Osaka:
Average high: 32 celcius
Average low: 23 celcius
Humidity: 70%

Sevilla:
Average high: 36 celcius
Average low: 19 celcius
Humidity: 44%

Sevilla have higher highs, but the humidity in Japan and South Korea more than compensates for that 4-5 degree difference during the day.

Massive Spanner

There's nothing complicated about it at all. If moving it to winter was an option surely moving it to August is one too!? Your post sounded like they just stop playing for a quarter of the year which simply isn't true. I've seen more than one la liga game start at 10pm and I don't see any problem with having every game after 8pm. Local customs and all.
:confused: your original post said absolutely nothing about moving it to August. If it did, I'd have agreed with you - though May/June would be better as August is still very hot.

Massive Spanner

Didn't the players need extra water breaks because Brazil, specifically Minaus, was so hot, though? Not the end of the world, but it was still a problem.

July just isn't feasible going forward for a lot of potential host countries, the world is getting hotter by the year. 2002 isn't the same as 2030.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Didn't the players need extra water breaks because Brazil, specifically Minaus, was so hot, though? Not the end of the world, but it was still a problem.
Yeah, I think they had at least one water break per half. Maybe two?

July just isn't feasible going forward for a lot of potential host countries, the world is getting hotter by the year. 2002 isn't the same as 2030.
The universe has spoken: Iceland world cups from now until the end of time!

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That Iberian bid would be intiguing! Three strong bids, then: Iberia, South Anerica, Arabia.

Abizzz

:confused: your original post said absolutely nothing about moving it to August. If it did, I'd have agreed with you - though May/June would be better as August is still very hot.
I got a bit irritated with you, sorry for that. I just really don't want another winter world cup anytime soon :angel: . May/June would be fine by me, August too.

Eric_the_Red99

You have a point, but a Spa/Por/Mor World Cup would still be a lot more compact than the tournaments in the USA and Russia. The same would go for a UK and Ireland hosted tournament.

Also, you have to hope that transport will be a lot greener in 2030, or else we may be past the point of worrying about carbon footprints.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This one is less travelling than many single country bids and covers only 1 timezone - all 3 together are smaller than the likes of Russia, Brazil or USA alone (nevermind the addition of Canada and Mexico!)

Member 125398

I wonder if the BBC will refuse to show the opening ceremony in order to concentrate on the exploitation of migrant workers in Spain and Portugal.

Abizzz

I wonder if the BBC will refuse to show the opening ceremony in order to concentrate on the exploitation of migrant workers in Spain and Portugal.
And I wonder how posts like this make it to the internet given what they imply about their author.