Film Mortal Kombat 2021 Film - 16th April 2021

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Completely different type of game, but it is a great game, one of my all time favourites.
Streets of Rage 4 that came out last year is also great and worth a play through

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Street Fighter had really good gameplay but a pathetic "story".

Mortal Kombat has a lot of lore and great story but the gameplay was always a bit shit. It encourages spamming because the projectiles don't cancel each other out...

Tekken had a mixture of decent story and excellent gameplay. It was my favourite of the three.

I normally don't watch trailers but just couldn't resist any more. I am very hyped for this! A few thoughts below:

They better use the MK theme from the original at some point!

At first, I found the "GET OVER HERE" a bit weak but upon thinking about it, makes sense as Scorpion is Japanese, not some American dude from Boston.

Spoiler: Kano will betray them :lol:

I was sad there's no Jonny Cage but thinking about it more, makes sense. He is a hero character that has sexist views so wouldn't go down well with the woke warriors.

Why the feck did they make Mileena black? There are plenty black characters to choose from already in MK, let her be Asian man! Us Asians never get the love :lol:

My boy Kabal is in! Boom!
She is meant to be a clone of Kitana as well so doesn't look like that is going to be the background story of Mileena in this version.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
MK for me I just liked how raw it was and the darker atmosphere to it. The characters were also more interesting. Then you had all the secret codes.

Traub

Being released on HBO Max tomorrow. Undoubtedly those disgusting pirates will be sailing tomorrow, giving us the perfect opportunity to report them.

NM

Being released on HBO Max tomorrow. Undoubtedly those disgusting pirates will be sailing tomorrow, giving us the perfect opportunity to report them.
Support the damn movie if you like it! I want sequels!

Coxy

Amazon here in the UK - looking forward to watching it - a bit pricey - but it’s still cheaper than movie tickets would be

Oldyella

Opening scene of the film and the origin story of Scorpion. Really good shit
Looks great. A small touch but I love the fact it makes clear they are speaking different languages.

Amazon here in the UK - looking forward to watching it - a bit pricey - but it’s still cheaper than movie tickets would be
Great. Will be watching it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I will steal it the moment it becomes available online, with the full intention of never paying for it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I keep reading that but can’t see it on there.
I read that on techradar earlier today but I just checked again and they're saying no confirmed release plans. Strange.

Maybe they've decided to revert to a cinema release when they open up next month as online interest has been so high?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absolutely horrible what’s going on the internet. So many copies out in the wild already— all need reporting and taken down.

Woodzy

Absolutely horrible what’s going on the internet. So many copies out in the wild already— all need reporting and taken down.
Please report this information directly to my private messages.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Really terrible. The industry is already struggling. I'll support them by actually going to the movies to see it.

Coxy

I read that on techradar earlier today but I just checked again and they're saying no confirmed release plans. Strange.

Maybe they've decided to revert to a cinema release when they open up next month as online interest has been so high?
I read that too - it says this now:

In a previous version of this article we incorrectly stated that Mortal Kombat would be available in the UK on Amazon Prime from Friday, April 23 and on the Crave streaming service in Canada. This mistake has now been corrected.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I had lowered my expectations and was still disappointed.
-horrible editing
-cringe worthy dialogues
-pacing all over the place
-wooden actors
-whats the point of introducing the new guy when we already have so many characters in the MK franchise?
-The games have better written story
-cgi at times looks really poor - MKA levels of poor

+ Some fight scenes and fatalities are nice

Would have looked much better as a tv series

Woodzy

Watching it now. Meh so far.

Nice and modernised but not a patch in the original movie for me.

Liu Kang looks like a 13 year old girl. Kano is great. This new character is pointless.

AaronRedDevil

Looks like I'm gonna *ahem* watch it online. Ireland won't be opening any cinema till next year with these clowns in charge.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Watching it now. Meh so far.

Nice and modernised but not a patch in the original movie for me.

Liu Kang looks like a 13 year old girl. Kano is great. This new character is pointless.
Gonna watch it tonight. If Kano is better in this one then that sounds like a huge plus to me. The guy who played him in the old movie was too over the top for me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Look it's a movie for the fans. It had 50 million dollars budget - which isn't that much by todays standards. It's watchable if you're a fan.

Edit: I'm actually finding Kano's character and his dialogue quite amusing at times.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Only watched about 30 mins so far but the amount of potholes, random jumps in time and poor acting already make me feel like this is a cheese 90s movie with better sfx. Will need to watch more to decide if that's a good thing.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Mindless glorious fun. Absolutely loved it. Plot and characters don't matter when movie is this entertaining. And, Kano.... brilliant! Though other traditional main characters have been sidelined, it's still very enjoyable for fans.

Perfect Friday night popcorn movie.

Last edited:

Sylar

Mindless glorious fun. Absolutely loved it. Plot and characters don't matter when movie is this entertaining. And, Kano.... brilliant! Though other traditional main characters have been sidelines, it's still very enjoyable for fans.

Perfect Friday night popcorn movie.
Completely agree with this. The 'Get over here' was perfectly done too. Sounded great when it happened.

The new character and his family might not have been needed, but I guess it was the point of moving the story along? Or give some background to the new character?

Some of the stuff was really well done in terms of fan service, some of the kills, some of the stuff like 'Flawless victory'. Enjoyed it. I do agree this would have been great as a series, but we got a nice fun movie out of it. And a possible set up to a future movie too.

Sub Zero was badass. Scorpion was cool. And Kano was fantastic.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Completely agree with this. The 'Get over here' was perfectly done too. Sounded great when it happened.

The new character and his family might not have been needed, but I guess it was the point of moving the story along? Or give some background to the new character?

Some of the stuff was really well done in terms of fan service, some of the kills, some of the stuff like 'Flawless victory'. Enjoyed it. I do agree this would have been great as a series, but we got a nice fun movie out of it. And a possible set up to a future movie too.

Sub Zero was badass. Scorpion was cool. And Kano was fantastic.
Loved the "get over here"!

It was a new approach. Rather than the usual Liu Kang is chosen one plot, they chose to focus on Scorpion vs Sub-Zero rivalry as the main theme, and the rest of cast support this plot. Thought that was a nice change.

And I didn't really find anything "bad" about the movie. Had a decent plot, moved at good pace, dialogues and acting were passable. And fight scenes stayed true to the game and were super cool.

Lots of scope for sequels for Cage and other characters to make an appearance in a expanded storyline.

evil_geko

I liked it, got what I expected, cool fights, fatalities etc. "Cheesy dialogue" is all a part of it. Why would anyone go into Mortal Kombat movie expecting some deep writing. It is all about the cheese!

All in all, good fun!

Also, keep in mind this is just a prequel, no tournament or anything, that will come later, Joe Taslim, the actor of Sub-Zero has signed on for 4 more MK movies. Keep in mind too that characters who die can come back, as Shang Tsung has said "Death is just another portal".

Last edited:

NM

Loved it! Great for fans. Anybody wanting great plot and a serious film were watching the wrong movie!