Film Mortal Kombat 2021 Film - 16th April 2021

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Better than the Monster Hunter movie for sure. Though that's not saying much.

How are people being dissappointed by this? What were you expecting, it's a movie about a really dumb video game.

I'm rewatching Undisputed 3, now that's an awesome martial arts flick. Best impression of an angry Ryssian by an English dude in history.

Boyka, Boyka, Boyka.

edcunited1878

It was a good, fun MK film. Yes they jumped around a little bit and a lot was condensed in less than 2 hours, but it was fun. Reintroduced to this set of MK franchises. Good start.

The fight scenes were done well...and Scorpion and Sub Zero were great.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Cheesy Kano from the first was a much better type of cheese in this new version. Stole every scene in my opinion. Not sure why they choose Lewis Tan as the lead though - in my opinion he was by far the least convincing actor of the bunch. Someone a wee bit more capable would have made the movie better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Half way through and find this really good.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I didn't mind it.
The fight scenes were really good
The story not so much, it just didn't follow the actual tournament style and much preferred the original in that sense

Raiden looked awful
Cole Young just had no place in this, why they did this is beyond me.
It's weird how this was a mix of MK and MK2 in terms of characters
Kano added some great comedy lines, especially the one when he finds his power, directed towards Liu Kang
Sub zero is (biased) the best character in the series, so I'm glad he played such a prominent part in the film.
Some nice brutal scenes, just wish it had a bit more
Goro also needed a better part, again, Cole Young, just feck off :lol:

If I were to rate the original a 7, I'd give this a 6.5. Was good, just needed a better, more consistent story, and less Cole Young, and by less, I mean none of him at all

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Why is this not available legally in Ireland / uk?

I am happy to pay for it but I cannot

mu4c_20le

This was way better than I thought it'd be. The first half was more serious than I expected, but pacing was good.

Liu Kang - Slightly disappointed it wasn't Robin Shou, and the new guy seemed young, but looked the part and was pretty good.
Kano - Scene stealer, yes its typical 90s caucasian vs asian culture tropes, but the guy plays it off well
Sonya - Where did they find this girl? She looks like a young Charlize Theron

The portrayal of Shang Tsung and the Outworld had some Avengers vibes to it, which was pretty neat. All in all a pretty good popcorn flick

oh yeah special mention to Joe Taslim, who was also in that crazy Tony Jaa movie where the cops got stuck in that apartment building. He's bad ass.

Traub

Just finished this. Decent overall. Maybe I’ve been spoilt by the length of Marvel movies, but it didn’t feel like a complete movie - possibly only the first half of a movie, especially as there was no tournament.

All of them coming back in the next one (if there is a next one) feels like a bit of a plot hole. Also more Goro was needed!!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Goro will probably return. I really like Cole Young, but it's just preference.

I thought they did a very good job with Kung Lao too. It should have been longer, but given it's a movie based on a video game, it's a high standard. Good start for what I hope is now going to be a movie franchise.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Goro will probably return. I really like Cole Young, but it's just preference.

I thought they did a very good job with Kung Lao too. It should have been longer, but given it's a movie based on a video game, it's a high standard. Good start for what I hope is now going to be a movie franchise.
Kung Lao was definitely one of the highlights - don't want to provide spoilers though. What you said though made me think that this almost felt like a pilot at times. Like it's intended to test and see if it's worth throwing more money at the rumored additional movies. At the very least it's a clear a second one is needed to flesh things out more and have an actual tournament.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The over the top violence and gore was disappointingly weightless, which is a shame because I thought that was the only true element this film had going for it when I heard they were remaking another MK movie.

Still, by-the-numbers silly action film.

Dante

Average bang
A bit stupid, but no worse than your average Marvel film.

I quite enjoyed it for what it was. But you could see that the writers had been given a list of set-pieces they needed to include, and then wrote the storyline around it.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I never thought there was some great mythology or storyline with this franchise. I thought every character in series just wanted to kill eachother in the most gruesome ott manner as possible.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How do you watch it for UK or Ireland?
We can't. Legally anyway.

So ye have to sail the seven seas.

Stupid fecking decision not to release it in UK yet. Their own fault if they get no sales when it's eventually released because people have found other ways to watch.

AaronRedDevil

We can't. Legally anyway.

So ye have to sail the seven seas.

Stupid fecking decision not to release it in UK yet. Their own fault if they get no sales when it's eventually released because people have found other ways to watch.
Really, there lost. They must hate money.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Please don't confuse Iko Uwais with Tony Jaa.
I was going by Joe Taslim being in The Raid, the film where the police get stuck in an apartment building.

I didn't reall take note of Tony Jaa.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Thought it was really good, although I never thought I’d say this about a movie.. the soundtrack was terrible! Where’s the OG theme song
It came in in the Scorpion Sub Zero fight at the end.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rewatch the 1st one from 95.
It has better story, better editing, way better soundtrack, RAIDEN,..
oh and did i mention it has A TOURNAMENT
Raiden was shit in the first one. He was just some American sap.
And this wasn't about the tournament but setting the foundation for a handful of characters. Be patient, its not the only film for the franchise!

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Raiden was shit in the first one. He was just some American sap.
And this wasn't about the tournament but setting the foundation for a handful of characters. Be patient, its not the only film for the franchise!
You're joking? Lambert's regarded as the best Raiden and is one of the best parts of the 1st movie so is Shang Tsung who looks way more menacing than the cosplayer from the current movie.
The director(s) - yes plural directors went all in with the fanservice and completely ignored the basics of film making. It's like they tried to squeeze 3 episodes into a movie.
It's a complete mess if you take fanboy tinted glasses off.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're joking? Lambert's regarded as the best Raiden and is one of the best parts of the 1st movie so is Shang Tsung who looks way more menacing than the cosplayer from the current movie.
The director(s) - yes plural directors went all in with the fanservice and completely ignored the basics of film making. It's like they tried to squeeze 3 episodes into a movie.
I'm not joking. Shang Tsung was great, they even used him in the games. But Raiden was shite, he was just an American joe in a hat with cheesey lines, like the rest of them. It worked then because it was the 90's. Re-release that movie now and it would fan-made, and not in a good way.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Who are the other Raidens?

GifLord

Who are the other Raidens?
Lambert, Remar and Asano

Lambert is considered the best

I'm not joking. Shang Tsung was great, they even used him in the games. But Raiden was shite, he was just an American joe in a hat with cheesey lines, like the rest of them. It worked then because it was the 90's. Re-release that movie now and it would fan-made, and not in a good way.

evil_geko

Lambert is considered the best
I like Lambert in general but he was not a good Raiden, he is considered a good Raiden only because that MK movie has a nostalgy feel for so many people. Shang Tsung and Liu Kang from the first movie were much better casts though. And not every MK movie has to have a tournament in it, come on now, this was first of many movies, I find tournament complains silly.

What is actually kinda bad is the new main character, Cole Young, who is there just to be there, barely says anything and when he does it's some useless shit. And while being new and useless, he kills the big MK champion Goro, in a barn, that was also kinda lame. Also his powers are....meh? Other than that, I expect a second movie to be much better.

And Kano was great, too bad he was killed off, maybe he will come back with that signature face plate.

Last edited:

Woodzy

I loved the casting choice for pretty much the entire original movie. I honestly think they nailed it, but maybe I’m just more accepting of it because I was a teenager when I first watched and these actors became how I identified the characters.

Annihilation however, without even looking at anything beyond the characters, how did they mess that up so badly? Sub zero looked like one of those £30 fancy dress outfits you can get on eBay.

GifLord

I loved the casting choice for pretty much the entire original movie. I honestly think they nailed it, but maybe I’m just more accepting of it because I was a teenager when I first watched and these actors became how I identified the characters.

Annihilation however, without even looking at anything beyond the characters, how did they mess that up so badly? Sub zero looked like one of those £30 fancy dress outfits you can get on eBay.
Cause it wasn't the original Sub Zero it was his younger brother Kuai Liang

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Half way through and find this really good.
Thank you for pausing the movie to provide this update, however a lack of additional updates suggests either the second half of the film went to shit or you forgot to press play again.