Film Mortal Kombat 2021 Film - 16th April 2021

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thank you for pausing the movie to provide this update, however a lack of additional updates suggests either the second half of the film went to shit or you forgot to press play again.
Haha no I really enjoyed it.

It's not a movie to take too seriously, at the end of the day it's based on a video game so there's going to be plot holes and rushed moments, plot armour and what not.

I found it really entertaining though, not overly corny, some great nods to the game and a very good set up for the tournament itself. Probably for the second film.

Sylar

Loved the "get over here"!

It was a new approach. Rather than the usual Liu Kang is chosen one plot, they chose to focus on Scorpion vs Sub-Zero rivalry as the main theme, and the rest of cast support this plot. Thought that was a nice change.

And I didn't really find anything "bad" about the movie. Had a decent plot, moved at good pace, dialogues and acting were passable. And fight scenes stayed true to the game and were super cool.

Lots of scope for sequels for Cage and other characters to make an appearance in a expanded storyline.
Yeah I think this was done with sequels in mind. I read the budget was small so thats a plus given the finished article provided

There are characters developed now and even the killed ones can be brought back (Kano has to be brought backback with a cool chest plate)

It's mortal Kombat so dead characters can be brought back from after life, not an issue for me

I agree, focusing on sub zero and scorpion was great as a fan of both characters of the game

Looking forward to the Johnny Cage stuff

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Good stuff:

Opening scene was sublime. In fact most of the storyline involving the wider Sub Zero - Scorpion storyline was great.

Kano was great and played perfectly. Carried the film in most parts. Also thought Jaxx was spot on.

The battles and gore were great. Let's be honest if they got that wrong there's no film.

Bad Stuff:

Shang Tsung and Raiden were under used or wasted. Total passengers despite being two hugely important characters to the franchise.

No Johnny Cage. :( :( :(

Overall I'd say a solid 6.5 out of 10. Plenty in there for MK fans but it could have been better.

I wanna see what they do with the next part which is undoubtedly coming soon.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I found time to watch this while my missus was busy with something else so I didn't have to subject her to it. I did say to her though 'this is going to be really bad, with terrible acting and a semi coherent plot but I'm still going to love it' and I feel like it delivered exactly that. The acting was abysmal, the dialogue and delivery (Kano aside) was for the most part diabolical but yet I loved it and can't wait for the next one.

mu4c_20le

I found time to watch this while my missus was busy with something else so I didn't have to subject her to it. I did say to her though 'this is going to be really bad, with terrible acting and a semi coherent plot but I'm still going to love it' and I feel like it delivered exactly that. The acting was abysmal, the dialogue and delivery (Kano aside) was for the most part diabolical but yet I loved it and can't wait for the next one.
But Jessica McNamee (Sonya) was great, right? Your wife doesn't read the forums, so you can be honest with us.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I can't believe the guy that played Kano was the same guy that played Doug Guggenheim on House of Lies. Now that is actor. Kano and the first 5 minutes were pretty good. The rest was meh. But Ill watch more of it. I don't know why, but I will.

AaronRedDevil

Saw it today. The movie was way better then I expected it to be. Thought it would be shite tbh. But I fecking love it. Don’t think they could have done it any better then what they did. Obviously seems like they are saving stuff for a hopeful sequel, like Cage etc. Think Kano was the best character, his lines were funny. Very few critiques about the movie, I really prefer the Raiden in the original movie, he was brilliant with his cheesy lines and looking like a badass. Hard to follow IMO. The main character was fine, but forgettable but I like his new power. Kung and Goro were kinda wasted but that Hat Fatality was just :drool:. Plenty of blood too, I was worried they’d try to pg it a bit. All the showdowns were well done as they could be. Jax fatality and Kangs moves were cool. Love Kabal, he’s one of my favourite fighters:D

Sub Zero and Scorpian fight was great. And hearing that badass “GET OVER HERE!” Was beautiful.

Overall I’d give it an 8/10

I really hope there’s going to be a sequel.

Woodzy

Can’t believe how divided the opinions are on this.

I personally thought it was trash, just a mess from start to finish.

Think the above poster was right in saying the start and Kano were the only real standouts.

Lastwolf

Can’t believe how divided the opinions are on this.

I personally thought it was trash, just a mess from start to finish.

Think the above poster was right in saying the start and Kano were the only real standouts.
It's 100% trash, that isn't really up for debate, I still enjoyed it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Miz, wrestler for WWE. He’s been in a few films himself, which I can’t say I’ve seen. He’s very good at the microphone work in wrestling though.
Cheers mate.

Haven't watched Wrestling for nearly 15 years so absolutely no idea who he is. Just googled him though and he does have the look to play Johnny Cage. I'm a huge MK fan so whoever ends up playing better do a good job or the 2nd movie will flop massively.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finally watched it.

Easter eggs. So many great Easter eggs. My personal favourite being the sweep mashing that used to happen in the games happened in the bloody movie :lol:

Kano was great. Kabal looked fantastic and I loved all the Sub Zero and Scorpion stuff.

But when I take off my nostalgia hat, let's be honest, this was absolutely awful :lol:

Bad acting, bad dialogue, mess of a narrative, rushed plot, cosplay characters (looking at you Raiden and Shang Tsung), poor VFX etc..

And my biggest pet peeve: overly edited fight scenes. I absolutely hate when films do this.

Only watch this of you're already a big fan of the series, otherwise you'll hate it I reckon.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Watch the animated movie - Scorpions Revenge. It absoltuely trashes this movie plot wise.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it quite a lot

As @Dirty Schwein says, it really is only for fans of the series.. it’s obviously not a great move

I am hoping we see a sequel within 2 years

RedDevilRoshi

Thought it was not bad. I’ve endured much worser films than this one before. Going into it, I wasn’t expecting it to be amazing either and went into it with very low expectations as I’m not a big fan of films that are based on video games.

Interested to see how this next one goes.