Television Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yeah, I got into this last year when I'd been very ill before being diagnosed as Coeliac. For a week or so I was being tested for some nasty sh*t and this show really helped me in that time, not sure why but it just made me feel better. I think I watched it a couple of times through at least. One of my very favourite things to hit the TV in years, almost perfect TV.

Some wonderful, subtle and heart warming moments. I'm saving the new series till I can smash it out in one go.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I've been wanting to watch the first few series of this but couldn't find where to watch it. Anyone?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Oh excellent I must have missed series 3 too. It’s so good, and so much better than you could think it could be

Volumiza

It seems very niche but it’s not. I absolutely love fishing so it’s right up my alley. You wouldn’t think it would appeal to non-fishermen but I’ve a few friends who wouldn’t know a trout from a turbot and they all love it too.
I would actually say that very little of it actually is to do with the fishing. It's not educational in a fishing sense. More a buddy series, a program about aging and health issues.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Apart from anything else getting paid to go fishing and goof about without having to actually be any good at fishing, would be my idea of the ultimate dream job

Volumiza

Just caught up with season 5. Along with The Detectorists, this has to be my favourite TV show.

Such warmth is rare on tv these days and it’s so refreshing to have a show with some real man-of-a-certain-age depth to it. The editing in the new series has had a bit of spit and polish and it feels even better this time. Lovely.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
What a show. Made me buy Bob’s autobiography and read it on a plane back from Sydney.

Never seen the comedy they did as it was before my time but I’ve always been into fishing so this show is just 30 mins/1hr of just my interest mixed with a couple of proper funny lads having a great time.

Whitehouse seems a decent angler too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What a show. Made me buy Bob’s autobiography and read it on a plane back from Sydney.

Never seen the comedy they did as it was before my time but I’ve always been into fishing so this show is just 30 mins/1hr of just my interest mixed with a couple of proper funny lads having a great time.

Whitehouse seems a decent angler too.
Watching him cast a fly is a joy.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I just enjoy Mortimer being almost deliberately useless to compensate, and the brief moments when you can tell its starting to wind Whitehouse up. Almost like a dad trying really hard not to yell at his son :lol:

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I just enjoy Mortimer being almost deliberately useless to compensate, and the brief moments when you can tell its starting to wind Whitehouse up. Almost like a dad trying really hard not to yell at his son :lol:
Stop winding...

I’m not winding (defo is winding)

Going to whack an episode on tonight after dinner.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Just caught up with season 5. Along with The Detectorists, this has to be my favourite TV show.

Such warmth is rare on tv these days and it’s so refreshing to have a show with some real man-of-a-certain-age depth to it. The editing in the new series has had a bit of spit and polish and it feels even better this time. Lovely.
Fully agree, The Detectorists never got the love it deserved.

Volumiza

Fully agree, The Detectorists never got the love it deserved.
Yeah, I was guilty of that a bit. A few of my mates had been recommending the Detectorists for some time but I had a slight allergy to McKenzie Crook so I never followed it up. How wrong I was. Such a warm hearted and genuinely funny show. The beauty of it is the characters are so natural and believable for a comedy. You could know any of them in real life. Just excellent stuff.

So much TV is just caricature sh*t. Fake shallow people doing fake shallow sh*t. With these two shows there is a real heart beating at the centre.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bob’s a bit poorly with his ticker at the moment so he wont be on the next series. It’s going to be Lee Mack instead.

Can’t help but think he’s a terrible choice. The show works because of the time and space they give each other and for the simple fact it’s perfectly fine for them both to sit there quietly stirring the bean stew saying nothing. Mack is going to need to learn to shut the feck up for 5 minutes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bob’s a bit poorly with his ticker at the moment so he wont be on the next series. It’s going to be Lee Mack instead.

Can’t help but think he’s a terrible choice. The show works because of the time and space they give each other and for the simple fact it’s perfectly fine for them both to sit there quietly stirring the bean stew saying nothing. Mack is going to need to learn to shut the feck up for 5 minutes.
Ah that’s crap news. Crap for the show and even crapper that Bob’s not well :(