Most Common Starting XI for Every Premier League Season

Chabon

Also, Keane’s frequency is interesting. What was the deal there? First choice in his first season then it’s up and down until 2000-ish.
Initially it was a combination of his knees and suspensions, then it was the cruciate injury. I don't remember him ever really being dropped, Fergie always absolutely loved him. Well, until he didn't...

MrSingh2002

Best team from all of the above combined....

Van Der Sar
Neville Rio Vidic Evra
Scholes Carrick
Beckham Rooney Ronaldo
Van Nistelrooy

What I'd give to see that happen... even in 2020. Whilst they can still all run.

*Just realised I made up that Beckham was in the list. But it's Beckham so he's in.

Web of Bissaka

I'm holding out on the possibility of 19/20 eventually being finished; there's still 9 league games to go plus potential Europa/FA cup games. Which could for instance, be the difference between including Bruno Fernandez or Andreas Periera ;)

In answer to your other question, the answer is a little of both. I've used appearance records for each season, but as I said in my OP, I'm not just interested in how many appearances each individual player had, but how frequently the same players played together on the team sheet, in order to get an idea of the most common "shape" of the side each season.

Take 2010/11 as an example. Rooney and Berbatov have almost an equal amount of starts; by rights, I should keep them both and not even mention Hernandez, who has less starts but more overall appearances when you include him coming off the bench. In addition to that, there's a distinctive shift around February/March during the CL knockouts when after months of Rooney/Berba, you get Rooney/Hernandez and almost never see Berba again. Which is what is represented by the fact that I've gone with Rooney as a constant (though he admittedly also dropped out of the side for a month), and Berba/Hernandez.

In short, it's not an exact science, no.
I see. Noted, that's fair, no worries. Cheers for making this thread.

:D Yeah, Bruno's appearances is still low in numbers.

Web of Bissaka

12/13

I tried to carry on, but the Moyes season is such a complete shambles (pretty much a different back four every game) that I gave up. I can't even begin to imagine how hard LVG's first year would be as well. Both managers were insanely indecisive, no wonder we were shite.
Thanks for the great works.
Bored, decided to have a go continuing your work, following your "system".

13/14 (Moyes era)

CBs and RB are shambles.
Mata and Fellaini are interestingly not among the top 11 highest no of minutes, nor does Young.

Web of Bissaka

18/19 (Ole's at the wheel)

When the midfielders were out injured, it turns into Fred-McTominay. Dalot also played as RM/RW.

19/20

Mainly no. of minutes, also the one that have high appearances despite low minutes eg. Lingard and Greenwood, also made strong impression eg. Williams.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Edit: So in the wake of the football-less hell we find ourselves in, I thought it was long past time I updated this. I posted this thread back in 2016 to try and produce a rough representation of how our squad has shifted and evolved over the years. I've now updated it up to 2019, and also added in the contributions from others (as seen below, I originally started with the 2007/08 season which was the first that I can honestly say I saw most of). Feel free to suggest additions/adjustments!

OK so I apologise in advance if this thread has been done before, but it's been bumping around my head for a while that it'd be great to have on paper a picture of what our team has looked like from season to season. Now I don't think this should be restricted to which players had the most appearances each season, because that would be a bit boring. Rather, I'd like to use it to paint a picture of the team as a whole for most games. For example, in the 08/09 season, I've noted Giggs/Park on the left, because they both had periods of the season where they were first team choices, especially in big games. I'm quite young myself and my memory doesn't run too far back past the 07/08 season, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the Cafe filling in the blanks for me, but I'm going to get things underway.

05/06 season:

------------------------Edwin Van Der Sar

Gary Neville----Rio Ferdinand----Wes Brown-----Mikael Silvestre

Cristiano Ronaldo------John O'Shea/Darren Fletcher-----Ryan Giggs-------Ji Sung Park

----------------Ruud Van Nistelrooy-------------------Wayne Rooney

06/07 season:

------------------------Edwin Van Der Sar

Gary Neville----Rio Ferdiand----Nemanja Vidic----Gabriel Heinze

-------------------Paul Scholes--------------Michael Carrick

Cristiano Ronaldo------------------------------------------Ryan Giggs

---------------------Wayne Rooney---------Louis Saha-

07/08 season:

-------------------------------Edwin Van-Der-Sar

Wes Brown----Rio Ferdinand------Nemanja Vidic-----Patrice Evra

Michael Carrick--------Paul Scholes/Anderson

Cristiano Ronaldo-------------------------------------------Ryan Giggs

-----------------Carlos Tevez------------Wayne Rooney

08/09 season:

----------------------------Edwin Van-Der-Sar

John O'Shea------Rio Ferdinand-----Nemanja Vidic-----------Patrice Evra

----------------Michael Carrick-------------Darren Fletcher

Cristiano Ronaldo------------------------------------Ryan Giggs/Ji-Sung Park

-----------------Wayne Rooney---------Dimitar Berbatov

09/10 season:

------------------------Edwin Van-Der-Sar

John O'Shea------Johnny Evans------Nemanja Vidic------Patrice Evra

Antonio Valencia-----Darren Fletcher-----Paul Scholes/Michael Carrick----Nani

-----------------------Wayne Rooney-------------Dimitar Berbatov

2010/11 season:

----------------------------Edwin Van-Der-Sar

Rafael------Rio Ferdinand---------Nemanja Vidic--------Patrice Evra

Nani---------Michael Carrick----------Darren Fletcher-------Ryan Giggs

----------Wayne Rooney------Javier Hernandez/Dimitar Berbatov

2011/12 season:

-------------------------David De Gea

Phil Jones-------Rio Ferdinand-------Jonny Evans--------Patrice Evra

Antonio Valencia----Michael Carrick----Paul Scholes/Anderson-----Ashley Young/Nani

-------------------------Wayne Rooney----------Danny Welbeck

2012/13 season:

--------------------------David De Gea

Rafael----------Rio Ferdinand---------- Jonny Evans---------Patrice Evra

Antonio Valencia----Michael Carrick----Tom Cleverly-----Shinji Kagawa

--------------------------------Wayne Rooney

-------------------------------Robin Van Persie

2013/14 season:

---------------------------David De Gea

Chris Smalling------Phil Jones---------Nemanja Vidic----------Patrice Evra

Antonio Valencia----Michael Carrick----Tom Cleverley----Ashley Young/Adnan Januzaj

----------------------Wayne Rooney--------Robin Van Persie

2014/15 season:

--------------------------------David De Gea

Antonio Valencia----Chris Smalling/Phil Jones----Marcos Rojo---Ashley Young

-------------------------------Daley Blind/Michael Carrick

--------------------Maruoune Fellaini---------Angel Di Maria

-------------------------------------Juan Mata

------------------Robin Van Persie-----------Wayne Rooney

Footnote: This was the hardest one to do by far, as our system and personnel changed so much throughout the year. Some tweaking may be necessary.

2015/16 season:

---------------------------------------David De Gea

Matteo Darmian-----Chris Smalling------Daley Blind-------Marcos Rojo

----------------Morgan Schneiderlin/Fellaini-------Michael Carrick

Jesse Lingard-------------------Juan Mata---------------------Anthony Martial

--------------------------------------Wayne Rooney

2016/17 season:

Antonio Valencia-----Eric Bailly/Phil Jones------Chris Smalling/Marcos Rojo------Daley Blind

--------------------------------------------------Michael Carrick

-------------------------------Ander Herrera----------------------Paul Pogba

Juan Mata/Mikhitaryan------------------------------------------Marcus Rashford/Anthony Martial

--------------------------------------Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Stray observation: as you might remember from 2016/17, our CB situation that season was fecked. We start with Bailly/Blind for 5 games until Blind is moved to left back, then it's Bailly/Smalling for about 10 games, then both get injured and it's Jones/Rojo fairly consistently until Feb, after which Rojo almost never plays again, and Jones pops in occasionally when we play a back 3. Incredibly, our CB pairing for the Europa League final was Smalling/Blind, which unless I missed something, was not a CB pairing we used at any point prior that season.

2017/18 season:

-------------------------------------------David De Gea

Antonio Valencia----Chris Smalling-----Phil Jones/Victor Lindelof------Ashley Young

---------------------------Nemanja Matic----------Paul Pogba

Juan Mata----------------------Jesse Lingard--------------------Marcus Rashford/Anthony Martial

-----------------------------------------Romelu Lukaku

2018/19 season:

Ashley Young-----Chris Smalling------Victor Lindelof-------Luke Shaw

-------------------------------------Nemanja Matic

---------------Ander Herrera----------------------Paul Pogba

Jesse Lingard------------------------------Marcus Rashford/Anthony Martial

--------------------------------------Romelu Lukaku

Feel free to dispute any of these, and for those with encyclopaedic knowledge, please help me with the years before the 2000's.
06/07 Evra is definitely more regular than Heinze. Evra is taking Heinze spot is probably the reason why he was clashing with SAF and joined Real next following season.
09/10 WTF is Evans doing in there?
10/11 is definitely wrong there. It's actually midfield of Nani/Valencia - Carrick - Giggs - Park.
11/12 I think it's more of a Kagawa/Welbeck or may be even Young.
14/15 Well. This is difficult as LVG changed his formation half of the season but isn't it the reason why Di Maria was so upset because he had to sit on the bench over Ashley Young.

Mr Smith

06/07 Evra is definitely more regular than Heinze. Evra is taking Heinze spot is probably the reason why he was clashing with SAF and joined Real next following season.
09/10 WTF is Evans doing in there?
10/11 is definitely wrong there. It's actually midfield of Nani/Valencia - Carrick - Giggs - Park.
11/12 I think it's more of a Kagawa/Welbeck or may be even Young.
14/15 Well. This is difficult as LVG changed his formation half of the season but isn't it the reason why Di Maria was so upset because he had to sit on the bench over Ashley Young.
I'm sorry but this is a train wreck of a post. Have you fact-checked any of this?

Heinze has more appearances than Evra in 06/07 (granted some may have come at CB).
Evans has the most appearances of any CB in 2009/10 bar Vidic (Rio had injury problems and suffered from losing his pace this year, was dropped for a while by SAF).
Valencia was injured right at the start of 10/11 only came back in the last few months (8 league starts); meanwhile Nani was our player of the season. Fletcher also started more frequently than Carrick, Giggs or Park.
2011/12 - Kagawa wasn't signed till the following season; what are you talking about??? Welbeck also almost exclusively played up front that season and also had a long period injured.
2014/15 is very complicated, but Young played most of the season at left back/wing-back, and only moved to LW over the last 10 or so games after Di Maria's form fell off a cliff.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm sorry but this is a train wreck of a post. Have you fact-checked any of this?

Heinze has more appearances than Evra in 06/07 (granted some may have come at CB).
So that makes Evra himself makes more appearances as LB than Heinze. And Evra himself had more appearances in the league.

Evans has the most appearances of any CB in 2009/10 bar Vidic (Rio had injury problems and suffered from losing his pace this year, was dropped for a while by SAF).
How much difference of appearances? It's not like more than 10 appearances which shouldn't take away that Rio would have been the common choice.

Valencia was injured right at the start of 10/11 only came back in the last few months (8 league starts); meanwhile Nani was our player of the season. Fletcher also started more frequently than Carrick, Giggs or Park.
Valencia out for half season. As soon as he came back from injury, both Nani & Valencia end up being rotated again, Nani was being superb in first half of the season was the main reason of his individual award. Giggs made his most appearances in CM though.

2011/12 - Kagawa wasn't signed till the following season; what are you talking about??? Welbeck also almost exclusively played up front that season and also had a long period injured.
You have no consistency because in 10/11 Giggs was almost exclusively played as CM not LW. And now that Welbeck much more appearances & involved in big games more than Kagawa, you chose to take him off. Welbeck played some of his game on the left as well.

hmchan

14/15 (LVG era)

Don't ask. It's a mess.

15/16
The 14/15 season was quite a mess. We started with 3-5-2 then we changed it to 4-4-2 diamond. We hadn't been consistent with our formation until 4-1-4-1 worked for us at the later stage of the season. Nonetheless, Herrera hadn't played in the holding role for us at all before Mourinho put him there.

Web of Bissaka

^ Yes, it was a mess @hmchan
Did my best to set-up one most "congruent" lineup of players that mainly played the most.

Late season 14/15 Herrera did at least once or twice, when we had plenty of midfielders out injured/low fitness - he's the only choice left for holding midfield role (Blind became LB during those times). We even had to put Mata and Rooney as midfielders then. Ander did well.

Was it something like this?
Rooney - Mata
Herrera​
iirc

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Great work @Chabon

I mean, we already know it, but it really is mental how many seasons Giggs was a mainstay for.

Also, Keane’s frequency is interesting. What was the deal there? First choice in his first season then it’s up and down until 2000-ish.
Keane was always first choice from memory, just injuries.

hmchan

^ Yes, it was a mess @hmchan
Did my best to set-up one most "congruent" lineup of players that mainly played the most.

Late season 14/15 Herrera did at least once or twice, when we had plenty of midfielders out injured/low fitness - he's the only choice left for holding midfield role (Blind became LB during those times). We even had to put Mata and Rooney as midfielders then. Ander did well.

Was it something like this?
Rooney - Mata
Herrera​
iirc
That season could be divided into many periods. van Gaal started with 3-5-2 and different combinations in the midfield. I betted he wasn't sure what he was doing either so it wasn't really worth discussing.

Then came the period of 4-4-2 diamond with Blind in the holding role (and he performed poorly imo), while di Maria was on the left and Herrera was on the right. Rooney and Mata splitted the games in the CAM role.

After that there were a series of games playing 4-2-3-1 using the combination of Blind/Carrick + Herrera/Fellaini. This was followed by a month of 3-5-2 again using the combination of Carrick + Rooney + Mata.

If you think things are going to stabilize, you are wrong. We then played 4-4-2 diamond with Blind in the holding role again, with Januzaj, Rooney and di Maria ahead of him.

We had finally settled on 4-1-4-1 before the end of the season. That's when Carrick played in the holding role while Herrera and Fellaini went forward.

I have a poor memory, maybe Herrera played in the holding role once or twice but even that happened, it was sporadic. Indeed, Fletcher might have spend more time in that role than him that season.

I understand your difficulty in concluding a season of mess into a single 11. No judgment, I was just raising an idea.

Web of Bissaka

We had finally settled on 4-1-4-1 before the end of the season. That's when Carrick played in the holding role while Herrera and Fellaini went forward.

I have a poor memory, maybe Herrera played in the holding role once or twice but even that happened, it was sporadic. Indeed, Fletcher might have spend more time in that role than him that season.

I understand your difficulty in concluding a season of mess into a single 11. No judgment, I was just raising an idea.
That 4141 with Carrick-Fellaini-Herrera is our best lineup we had that season I feel coincided with our best run of form. Herrera was the playmaker then. But I recall it wasn't before the end season, it started midway around November 14. Then Carrick got injured and we did the rest with Herrera holding (Carrick maybe back for few games before season end). We also maybe tried Fellaini at holding but it was so bad and LVG loved his talents up top.

Fletcher I think only played three times (mainly subs late game, just one start). He left in Jan window. I think just once holding, the rest is as 2nd CM and RM/RWB(?).

No worries.

hmchan

That 4141 with Carrick-Fellaini-Herrera is our best lineup we had that season I feel coincided with our best run of form. Herrera was the playmaker then. But I recall it wasn't before the end season, it started midway around November 14. Then Carrick got injured and we did the rest with Herrera holding (Carrick maybe back for few games before season end). We also maybe tried Fellaini at holding but it was so bad and LVG loved his talents up top.

Fletcher I think only played three times (mainly subs late game, just one start). He left in Jan window. I think just once holding, the rest is as 2nd CM and RM/RWB(?).

No worries.
Carrick was fit and played almost all the league games from November to January. Then he got injured and missed the games in February but we played Blind in the holding role by then, the 2nd period of 4-4-2 diamond referring to my previous post.

Fletcher actually started the first 3 league games and played the full 90 mins in 2 of them. Of course he was later phased out and he left eventually.