Most Disappointing Result In A Football Match Not Involving A Team You Support

SwedishFish

Sometimes, very rarely, you can feel disheartened by a result in a football match that doesn't involve or affect a team you have any particular affiliation with.

One that springs to mind for me is the Champions League Quarter-final game last season between PSG-Atalanta.

Considering how affected Bergamo had been as a city from the Covid-19 pandemic and how Atalanta who only ranked 13th(!) in Serie A when it came to wages played the Oligarch-funded PSG.

They took a lead and then it all fell apart at the very end and I remember feeling so desperately sad for the players who had overcome it all, despite it being a massive achievement and nobody believing that they would win before the game, it all came undone and was only really made up for by the fact that PSG lost the final to Bayern Munich.

What other games come to mind for people here that didn't affect a team you supported that left you feeling disappointed?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely by a country mile it has to be City 3 QPR 2.

None of us gave a dreadful QPR even the slightest chance, but they somehow got ahead even after Barton's idiocy.

Then that fateful moment where QPR realised they were safe, and almost instantly dropped off their effort levels, and let City back in it.

Never felt so stressy after a game, shaking with adrenaline.

So many bad moments, like when QPR conceded the first and just punted it straight to City to have a run at getting the inevitable winner, the ball falling perfectly for Aguero, and that over the top Tyler nonsense, and that uber prick Cisse arms round a City player delighted after the game.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Was pretty gutting seeing Japan lose to Belgium in the World Cup

Eriku

Germany - Argentina, 2014.

Messi’s such a wonderful player, and I always hoped he’d show his class and reach the summit of international football as well.

manuchamp88

Felt sorry for Ireland when Henry cheated them out of progression in the World Cup...what was it? 2010? Leaves an especially bitter taste in the mouth when talented players cheat or besmirch in some way an otherwise brilliant career.

There was another one at the 2014 World Cup, I believe. Uruguay vs Ghana, it? Suarez cheated in some way...can't remember.

Handré1990

Felt sorry for Ireland when Henry cheated them out of progression in the World Cup...what was it? 2010? Leaves an especially bitter taste in the mouth when talented players cheat or besmirch in some way an otherwise brilliant career.

There was another one at the 2014 World Cup, I believe. Uruguay vs Ghana, it? Suarez cheated in some way...can't remember.
Handball on the line to deny a goal, if I remember it right. A good side that Ghana team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Easily France vs Italy final in 2006

Dortmund vs Bayern CL final 2013 (?) was pretty bad, too.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I wanted Wenger to win the Europa League in his last season and go out on a high. Rival or not, he was a great guy and had always had a soft spot for him (more so after they were not competing with us anymore)

Was really gutted when they lost to Atletico Madrid in the semis. Was kicked out of a Man United whatsApp group for posting this there though after the game :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It was a game I was at live.

Switzerland vs Equador at the 2014 World Cup.

There were almost 69,000 fans there and most of them were Equador fans, making crazy noise and providing a real carnaval atmosphere. It was the reason I wanted to experience a World Cup in the first place. Great noise and easy to get caught up in.

Equador went ahead before a Swiss equalizer. They went for it at the end before a cruel Swiss break ended with a Seferovic winner in the 93rd minute. Basically the last kick of the game. I was gutted for them being there.

Still a great spectacle though.

JB7

I wanted Wenger to win the Europa League in his last season and go out on a high. Rival or not, he was a great guy and had always had a soft spot for him (more so after they were not competing with us anymore)

Was really gutted when they lost to Atletico Madrid in the semis. Was kicked out of a Man United whatsApp group for posting this there though after the game :lol:
Rightly so

poleglass red

scotland 2 v 2 england, always felt a bit sorry for Scotland, so close to a memorable win but injury time goal by Kane denied them all 3 pts.

Gazza

Ghana vs Uruguay at World Cup 2010.

It was tough seeing an unheralded minnow (in global football terms) get so close to such a momentous event, only to be defeated by an act of cheating (I have nothing against Uruguay though, it was understandable).

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wanted Germany to win the World Cup in 2006, still to this day I’m not sure why but that meant them losing to Italy in the semis was disappointing.

Cloud7

The first CL final that Atletico lost to Real. They won the league and it really felt like it was their year to get the CL as well. So annoying that Real ended up winning it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Italy beating Brazil in Spain. Still can’t believe that team didn’t win the WC

Anduin

I have no particular affection for Atletico, and their style of play just bores the hell out of me, but I really felt for them in Lisbon 2014 when Ramos equalized with basically the last kick of the game. Simeone deserves a Champions League title for making Atletico a consistent Top 10 club (not only team) in the world.

Inter Yer Nan

I'd say Liverpool's Champions League wins but "Anybody that plays Liverpool" is a team I support along with United.

I was gutted for Valencia when they lost the 2001 Champions League final. They'd gotten there the year earlier, and perhaps the game was too big for them, but they were probably the better side vs. Bayern, didn't really choke or anything in the game and for them to be up in the shoot-out and lose I did feel really sad for them. Shame as they've not been close since but at least they won a couple of league titles shortly after.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
PSV versus Milan in the semi final of a European Cup. 2005. It was the season before United brought Park-Ji Sun in.
PSV were down 2-0 and were now playing at home. The tie finished 3-1. They went out on away goals. Watching the Koreans play out of their skin in that game was something else.
They were so valiant and overwhelmed AC Milan.

And I'm a guy who likes AC Milan.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
England - Germany, SF of WC 1990. Cried as much as Gazza. I was 10 at the time, but damn I really loved that team for some reason.

Still remember the look on my fathers face. Didn't know if he should slap me or comfort me.

slored1

I felt sickened when Pool beat Barcelona 4-0. You just knew they were winning it all.

Oranges038

South Korea beating Italy in 2002. Total robbery from the officials.

Or the 2001 UEFA Cup final when Liverpool beat Alves 5-4.

NoneBmStore

South Korea beating Italy in 2002. Total robbery from the officials.

Or the 2001 UEFA Cup final when Liverpool beat Alves 5-4.
Basically any game with South Korea at the 2002 WC. A fekking farce and if I’m not mistaking one of the refs ended up in jail years later

NoneBmStore

Also Bayern winning the 2001 bundesliga over Schalke with a last minute free kick within the penalty area.

TrustInOle

None of us gave a dreadful QPR even the slightest chance, but they somehow got ahead even after Barton's idiocy.

Then that fateful moment where QPR realised they were safe, and almost instantly dropped off their effort levels, and let City back in it.

So many bad moments, like when QPR conceded the first and just punted it straight to City to have a run at getting the inevitable winner, the ball falling perfectly for Aguero, and that over the top Tyler nonsense, and that uber prick Cisse arms round a City player delighted after the game.
This. Still gives my PTSD remembering how I switched over in time to witness the Aguero moment. :(

RedRJ

1974 WC final: West Germany 2 - 1 Netherlands.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Germany beating Argentina at the 06 World Cup.
PSG losing to Bayern in the CL final
Villarreal losing to Arsenal in the 05 CL semi final

SwedishFish

PSV versus Milan in the semi final of a European Cup. 2005. It was the season before United brought Park-Ji Sun in.
PSV were down 2-0 and were now playing at home. The tie finished 3-1. They went out on away goals. Watching the Koreans play out of their skin in that game was something else.
They were so valiant and overwhelmed AC Milan.

And I'm a guy who likes AC Milan.
I remember that team very well, Ji-Sung Park who played immensely, and Van Bommel and Cocu.

One of the great forgotten teams.

RedDevilRoshi

Felt sorry for Fulham when they narrowly lost the EL final to Atlético Madrid in 2010

Oranges038

Basically any game with South Korea at the 2002 WC. A fekking farce and if I’m not mistaking one of the refs ended up in jail years later
The guy from the Italy game did for drug smuggling. I watched the game back a while ago, it's unbelievable how it was allowed to happen.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Yep, for any United supporter it has to be this game.
We were the Champions until the 94th minute. Never forget that sickening feeling when they scored.