Most Disappointing Result In A Football Match Not Involving A Team You Support

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep, for any United supporter it has to be this game.
We were the Champions until the 94th minute. Never forget that sickening feeling when they scored.
I still blame my mate who idiotically texted me "can't believe they've gifted us the title" about 23secs before they equalised.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Chelsea Barcelona in 2009, I was sick to my stomach, Chelsea were cheated and would have also been an easier opponent for United in the final.

Also Atletico Real 2014 CL final

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Both times Atleti lost to Real Madrid in the UCL final.
Bayern losing to Chelsea in the UCL final

Any time an English teams wins in Europe (not United of course) really disappoints me.

Eire Red United

Ghana vs Uruguay at World Cup 2010.

It was tough seeing an unheralded minnow (in global football terms) get so close to such a momentous event, only to be defeated by an act of cheating (I have nothing against Uruguay though, it was understandable).
Great shout, my heart was broke for Ghana and for that lad who missed the penalty from the Suarez handball.

Schneiderman

Avoiding obvious rivals games. Dortmund 3-2 Malaga in the Champions League knockouts years ago where Malaga were robbed by two injury time goals that shouldn't have stood.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Portugal 0-1 Greece in the Euro 04 final - I had a soft spot for that era of the Portuguese national team and really felt for them having failed to win their first major trophy on home soil after dominating the match.

That said, it definitely did personally benefit me as years later recalling my memories of that match helped me chat up my future wife. So I suppose at this point I can't be too fussed about it.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I have no particular affection for Atletico, and their style of play just bores the hell out of me, but I really felt for them in Lisbon 2014 when Ramos equalized with basically the last kick of the game. Simeone deserves a Champions League title for making Atletico a consistent Top 10 club (not only team) in the world.
Aye, that one was oddly crushing for me too. Ultimate for me will always be Italy Vs Brazil 1994 WC Final, as I was emotionally ruined as a kid by watching Baggio missing the decisive penalty. Interesting reading the number of people mentioning France Vs Italy 2006 and realising to my dismay that they basically experienced what I did but are 12ish years younger :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Portugal 0-1 Greece in the Euro 04 final - I had a soft spot for that era of the Portuguese national team and really felt for them having failed to win their first major trophy on home soil after dominating the match.

That said, it definitely did personally benefit me as years later recalling my memories of that match helped me chat up my future wife. So I suppose at this point I can't be too fussed about it.
That's another good one. A relatively rare experience for a neutral where I desperately wanted the underdog to lose.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
West Ham vs Liverpool FA Cup final. You just knew when that ball bounced and Gerrard was running onto it.

Raredaredevil

Japan vs Belgium in 2018 World Cup round of 16. I have no affiliation to Japan in any way whatsoever but rarely have I been so affected and felt so sorry for the Japanese players and Japan. They played such an amazing game and when they were 2-0 up, I thought this would be one of the biggest footballing fairytale when no one expect them to beat one of the World Cup favourites. They completely went kamikaze when Belgium sent on Fellani. You are 2-0 up against one of the best teams in the world yet you are still so naive. Just sit back and counter. Christ.

I remember I was on a train journey from Kazan to Saint Petersburg and my roommate inside my cabin were so gutted for Japan. I went to sleep when they were 2-0 up and then I woke up to find the match was over and Japan lost. The Russians were describing to me in great detail and you could see the anguish and moan on their face. I asked them why they were so supportive of Japan when Russia and Japan historically have no ties and they just said that Japan plays such beautiful football. I think every neutral wanted Japan to win that game and they were so gutted for Japan.

Caesar2290

Greece 1-0 Czech Republic Euro 2004

What a team that was. Koller, Nedved, Poborsky, Rosicky, Cech. I was 100% they would win it that year. Sadly history had other plans.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Corner, taken quickly.

Made me hate Barca since. Took away two CL finals from us, gifted one to Liverpool. This was after they helped Klopp get rid of a want away Coutinho and finance VVD, Alisson which also won them the league. If you look further back, they were the real motivation for Ronaldo to leave for Madrid, too.

Vile club, so happy to see them crash and burn.

Josep Dowling

Greece 1-0 Czech Republic Euro 2004

What a team that was. Koller, Nedved, Poborsky, Rosicky, Cech. I was 100% they would win it that year. Sadly history had other plans.
Don’t know why but I loved that Czech Republic team as well. They played the Netherlands in that tournament. Probably one of the best games I ever seen.

King7Eric

Japan vs Belgium in 2018 World Cup round of 16. I have no affiliation to Japan in any way whatsoever but rarely have I been so affected and felt so sorry for the Japanese players and Japan. They played such an amazing game and when they were 2-0 up, I thought this would be one of the biggest footballing fairytale when no one expect them to beat one of the World Cup favourites. They completely went kamikaze when Belgium sent on Fellani. You are 2-0 up against one of the best teams in the world yet you are still so naive. Just sit back and counter. Christ.

I remember I was on a train journey from Kazan to Saint Petersburg and my roommate inside my cabin were so gutted for Japan. I went to sleep when they were 2-0 up and then I woke up to find the match was over and Japan lost. The Russians were describing to me in great detail and you could see the anguish and moan on their face. I asked them why they were so supportive of Japan when Russia and Japan historically have no ties and they just said that Japan plays such beautiful football. I think every neutral wanted Japan to win that game and they were so gutted for Japan.
:nervous::nervous:

Grande

Denmark, playing a fantastic form of glorious, bohemian and hearts-on-sleeve football going out to Spain on pens in Euro -84 semi final and then routed 5-1 by the same cynical side in the WC of -86.

MiracleInMadrid

Surely by a country mile it has to be City 3 QPR 2.

None of us gave a dreadful QPR even the slightest chance, but they somehow got ahead even after Barton's idiocy.

Then that fateful moment where QPR realised they were safe, and almost instantly dropped off their effort levels, and let City back in it.

Never felt so stressy after a game, shaking with adrenaline.

So many bad moments, like when QPR conceded the first and just punted it straight to City to have a run at getting the inevitable winner, the ball falling perfectly for Aguero, and that over the top Tyler nonsense, and that uber prick Cisse arms round a City player delighted after the game.
Was also the first thought I had.

I remember that I was absolutely livid with the QPR players. It seemed like they completely switched off mentally in the last 10 minutes or so. I was so bitter. In retroperspective it may have been down to fitness, but during the game it looked like they actually didn't care wether they won or not.

Cisse almost celebrating with the City players after the final wistle had me jumping around in pure anger.

Caesar2290

Don’t know why but I loved that Czech Republic team as well. They played the Netherlands in that tournament. Probably one of the best games I ever seen.
Yeah, I remember that game. From going 2-0 down to coming back and winning it 3-2. What a game it was.

For me that Czech team has to up there with Brazil 1982 as one of great teams that didn't win a major tournament.

Euro 2000 Final

Loved that Italy team and was devastated when the French turned it around in extra time.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Several years ago i had a 13 leg accumulator and as as i went down and checked the results they were all coming in including draws until i got to the final 13th result.
Brentford had let me down. Never liked them since. their ground with a pub on each corner can do one.
Would have been 24k from a 3 quid bet.
Not that I'm bitter

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The guy from the Italy game did for drug smuggling. I watched the game back a while ago, it's unbelievable how it was allowed to happen.

The best part is that FIFA outdid themselves in korea's next game against Spain, which managed to be even worse :lol:

Btw: every single game barcelona don't lose. And Atletico Madrid

Also France-Croatia, France-Portugal, Portugal-Greece, Ghana-Uruguay, Germany-Argentina, Germany-Czech Republic, Germany-Argentina, Germany-South Korea(this was where FIFA drew the line???? Feck them). Brazil-Colombia comes to mind too

Raredaredevil

I think we should not add in any teams who are playing against Liverpool because naturally, we will support whoever Liverpool is playing against.

tomaldinho1

QPR City clearly affected us so shouldn't be the one.
Liverpool AC Milan was sickening from a rivalry perspective

Most disappointed I have been as a pure neutral was probably when Henry handballed against ROI and stopped their WC qualification.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
The title of this thread should be changed to 'Most Disappointing Result In A Football Match Involving A Team You Dislike'.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
I rarely watch games where I'm neutral towards both the teams, but Ajax vs Spurs 2019 CL semi is the last one I remember. Moura scoring 3 goals from 3 shots, and a young Ajax team losing after dominating the entire tie (aside from beating RM and Juve along the way) was pretty disappointing.

led_scholes

Felt sorry for Ireland when Henry cheated them out of progression in the World Cup...what was it? 2010? Leaves an especially bitter taste in the mouth when talented players cheat or besmirch in some way an otherwise brilliant career.

There was another one at the 2014 World Cup, I believe. Uruguay vs Ghana, it? Suarez cheated in some way...can't remember.
Uruguay vs Ghana was in 2010. But i dont think its the same case with Ireland vs France since Suarez was sent off and Ghana had (rightly) the chance to score from a penalty spot only for the taker to miss. In my book, Suarez didn't cheat, he actually acted smart and denied the goal, which would have probably meant that Ghana would win the tie, and was rightly penalized for his act.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

[
Felt sorry for Ireland when Henry cheated them out of progression in the World Cup...what was it? 2010? Leaves an especially bitter taste in the mouth when talented players cheat or besmirch in some way an otherwise brilliant career.

There was another one at the 2014 World Cup, I believe. Uruguay vs Ghana, it? Suarez cheated in some way...can't remember.
it was 2010. Suarez stopped a goal bound header & was sent off. Ghana missed the penalty. Uruguay won the game on pens.

I have no problem with it. If a United player did that I’d love him forever.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Now that we have VAR as an additional fallback, situations where someone absolutely blatantly stops a goalbound shot/header on the line with their hands/arm should just be a sending off and the goal awarded. Penalty isn't sufficient punishment for it imo.