Most Iconic Footballer Ever (& Football Image)

When I read “iconic” first thing that came to mind was Cantona with collars up. Second probably Maradona, but I think the Ronaldo celebration is probably going to end up becoming the most iconic football image ever..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Another player that I've got to add here even though he isnt the biggest of all time is Mohamed Salah.

I ask people from the middle eastern community all the time who they support and all I hear is Liverpool these days even though they have only been successful for a few years in the recent decade.

I also ask people who they support and they dont even say Liverpool but they straight up say Mohammed Salah. He clearly represents an idol in that community and for me Salah success at Liverpool brings support to Liverpool rather than the club being successful by itself.

Another player similar is Lewandowski. Every time I ask someone from an Eastern European country like Poland, Belarus or even Russia they seem to bring up Lewandowski as an idol of their culture & community.

Beckham was like that to the whole world and countries that had a history of the British Empire and would have parts of the England language and media still crawling in an around their community. Even if they didnt like the sport they could see Beckham was big in England and in the world and was an idol to many due to his ability to get so famous, rich and drain every aspect of what he had to only come out bigger well known person on the other side.

Red Stone

Cruyff needs mention for the impact he's had on the game. Maybe not as recognizable as Pelé, Maradona, Beckham, Cristiano and Messi, but in terms of what he inspired he's definitely up there. Him and Michels were the masterminds behind Barca, Ajax and the Dutch team that mesmerized the world in the '70s, and their brand of football is being played at the highest level to this day. The most dominant team of this millennium so far, and arguably all-time, would never have happened if it weren't for their ideas. Absolutely godlike player as well. For people who know the game it's hard to look past him, but if we're talking the player that's synonymous with football for Joe Bloggsi (the plural of Joe Bloggs that I just invented right now) around the world, it's probably not him.

The most globally recognizable player has to be huge in Asia and North America, where the sport isn't as all-encompassing as it is in Europe and South America. Beckham at the peak of his fame almost seemed bigger than the sport in huge parts of the world. The reaction in Asia during the 2002 World Cup was completely nuts, and he achieved fame in the US too by being the celebrity guy who played for LA Galaxy and was on talk shows and stuff all the time. I don't think even Ronaldo, who has a mind-boggling amount of followers on social media, could match that level of attention, even on his best day.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hard to measure.

You could say that it's pretty unlikely that someone who is not interested in football at all, but who knows who Pelé is (because he's bloody famous), does NOT know who Messi or Ronaldo is.

My mum (in her 70s now) has never watched a minute of football in her life. She knows who Pelé is. Probably Maradona too. But she also knows who Messi is (and Ronaldo).

If you consider ALL demographics (old farts, nippers, men, women, dogs, space aliens) - the answer will probably be Messi or Ronaldo, I'd say.

That is - if we're talking "famous". Not necessarily "iconic" - which involves other factors, but those (other factors) will be (again) hard to reduce to something measurable.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Obviously depends on who you ask and when.
60/70s: Pele
80/90s: Maradona
00s: Beckham/Ronaldinho
10s: Messi/Ronaldo

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For English fans I'd say maybe this
That's an interesting case, I'd say.

Show that picture to a random person (any age, gender, background, whatever) and...

Do they know what it signifies, generally?

Yes - most probably do (especially in England, of course).

But do they know precisely who the person holding the trophy is?

Far less would know that, I suspect.

R77

It's one of those questions where the answer isn't clear cut. Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo, Beckham, take your pick. Image wise, two immediately came to mind, 'hand of god' being one. This is my choice;

People around my age and a bit older only have one answer:

But you have to be 45-50 to even remember the 86 game.
Your bottom line is out by a few years, but it's still mildly depressing to see it in writing!

Which is bollocks because it looks like he's being marked by 5 players but they'd actually just played a short free-kick and that is the Belgian wall breaking up upon reacting to that.
That's a great point that never occured to me. I guess it also makes zero sense in any situation to have more than half your team marking one player! Really should have been obvious.

reddevil80

Not just as out of respect to his family following his very sad death but ever since I was a young lad one of my favourite video images was of Nobby skipping with the world cup. I don't have a clue how to upload vids or images so sadly I can't.

George and his player heydays with the champers and the girls around him but Eric was one hell of an icon and the pic of him, chest out, collar up, just inspiring.

You also had the likes of Laurie Cunningham and Viv Anderson who were the first black players for England, massive icons.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I was having a think about this as I thought it was an interesting question as to who is the most iconic (not necessarily best) footballer ever. I came up with three suggestions: Pele, Maradona and Ronaldinho. It may depend on different generations who they find the most iconic (out of those who I have chosen or in general) but for me the first player which came into mind when I thought about this question was Ronaldinho so I'm going to stick with that.

What about everyone else? Opinions?

Also on a slight tangent, another interesting question is most iconic football images. For me it might be the following photo:

That’s the person and picture I thought of

Sigma

Same - everyone knows who Beckham is. He transcends sport into most markets.

Although, that picture of Pele celebrating above is probably the most iconic image of football in my eyes.
But for me iconic doesn't just directly translate to fame, it's that something extra which is difficult to articulate. I think Beckham is iconic to a certain extent, but there are more iconic footballers than him.

Last edited:
Your bottom line is out by a few years, but it's still mildly depressing to see it in writing!

depends how good your memory is! I’m over 40 and barely remember anything from Italia 90, that’s why I used 45 as a reference point.

R77

depends how good your memory is! I’m over 40 and barely remember anything from Italia 90, that’s why I used 45 as a reference point.
Mine is shocking, but at least I won't forget the year I was born when I'm on here. The memories are vague and impressionistic tbf, and I guess I remember the furore over Maradona as much as anything.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Most Iconic football moment/image/video:
- Pele WC celebration
- Maradona kissing WC
- Maradona vs 6 Belgiums
- Cantona collar up
- Cantona kungfu kick
- Ronaldo goal celebrations
- Zidane headbutt
- Carlos banana freekick
- Ronaldinho Joga Bonito freestyle adverts

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I was having a think about this as I thought it was an interesting question as to who is the most iconic (not necessarily best) footballer ever. I came up with three suggestions: Pele, Maradona and Ronaldinho. It may depend on different generations who they find the most iconic (out of those who I have chosen or in general) but for me the first player which came into mind when I thought about this question was Ronaldinho so I'm going to stick with that.

What about everyone else? Opinions?

Also on a slight tangent, another interesting question is most iconic football images. For me it might be the following photo:

It’s Pele or Maradona, no question about it. And that picture you chose is probably the one. The only that could possibly rival it is Maradona with the World Cup trophy.

RedDevil@84

I wasn't a fan of either time but that game made me forever lose respect for at least Suarez. One of the top 25 worst WC offenses imho.
IMO, what Suarez did was a d**k move. But he was sent off and Ghana got a penalty. I would say justice was done.
It certainly does not compare with Maradona's hand of God or Thierry Henry's handball or South Korea against Italy, in which there was no justice done.

A discussion not for this thread anyways.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
IMO, what Suarez did was a d**k move. But he was sent off and Ghana got a penalty. I would say justice was done.
It certainly does not compare with Maradona's hand of God or Thierry Henry's handball or South Korea against Italy, in which there was no justice done.

A discussion not for this thread anyways.
A penalty they missed and Suarez got to celebrate in the tunnel, when Ghana should have had a clear goal. Not much justice served really

RedDevil@84

A penalty they missed and Suarez got to celebrate in the tunnel, when Ghana should have had a clear goal. Not much justice served really
Can't blame anyone but themselves for having jelly legs at a crucial moment.

fps

Image will always be something pre serious internet. So many images now, so much information, nothing can hold like older images like the Pele and Moore ones already shown.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would have been unfair on Uruguay as the Ghana ‘goal’ should have been called for offside.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Historically it has to be from the 1970 World Cup when colour TV illuminated the game like never before.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I checked the dictionary only to discover that the above gif is the true definition of the word: icon.