Most important summer window in years (100-150m budget)

jesperjaap

I don’t think we’ve got the cash. I’m pretty sure the Bruno fee was also out of this summers budget.

We’ll sign one player, probably Grealish for 70m after we’ve sold Smalling, Pereira and possibly Lingard.
Was a reason I didnt want to go in to transfer vaulations in my post, so not going to argue about potential values now that you have, but I disagree with yours.
As for Fred, this is a player we played a lot of money for, he isnt really a long term option for DM or a great understudy even in that role, he isnt really cover for Fernandes. So he is valuable when we change our shape a bit more to two holding players and he is valuable as cover for Pogba.....but then we also have McTominay. Do we really need both of them when we have no good cover for Matic and we have no good cover for Fernandes? Not saying we should definately sell him, but if a decent fee for him allowed us to sign a defensive midfielder or make up the fee for a Grealish for example, then his fee would be more valuable I feel than his presence in the squad. But its a lot of IFs and I have a feeling we are not going to try and buy a DM or Grealish even unless we miss out on Sancho

croadyman

Our league rankings for each season and the net spend of the following season (according to transfermarkt) post-Fergie:

SeasonRankingNet spend the following season (€)
13/147146.09m
14/15453.93m
15/165137.75m
16/176152.9m
17/18252.15m
18/196132.82m
19/2030m (at the moment)

I mean isn't the pattern obvious? Whenever we're in top 4, no transfer kitty for the next season. Only when we fall out of top 4 would money be pumped into the club's transfer budget.

Clearly our aim under the Glazers is to stay in top 4, get that UCL money and nothing more.
Yeah heartbreakingly for us fans that indeed is the case and is getting harder to stomach when you see the likes of City, Chelsea & Liverpool

croadyman

I haven’t even paid much attention to the transfer market all that much so far because year in year out it goes the same way. Hopes get raised then everyone is let down because jobs can not be done correctly or money isn’t there to be spent. We are a business and not a football club, this will not change until the Glazers leave. It really is sad that this is what it has turned into.
Yeah so sad and no hope of that changing any time soon. We are just made to suck it up and accept the situation unfortunately

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
less than one month now. If we have 100-150 including sales, pretty sure they are more incomings?

Spent 35 on DVB. Should still have another 70 + Smalling money which would just be enough to get us Sancho.

One can hope.

reddevilz007

Ever since Ronaldo and the trident got separated, every summer has been very important. But we mess it up each and every time.

UpWithRivers

Im hoping we can do what others do and not have to pay all the cash up front. I know the reports are that Dortmund dont like it but if we could get a 30 mill per year deal or something like it, even 45 now and 45 next season plus bonus's that would leave us with a load more cash. That would mean 45 for Sancho + 35 Donny. Even if Fernandes is included thats 130 ish. With sales maybe we can afford a Reguilon or a cheapish CB just about. Or even if we can get a 60 mill CB but pay 30 now and 30 next season or something like that. Im pretty sure a lot of clubs structure deals like this now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'll hold off on judging fully until the end of the window - but if we don't do anything else of significance then its just a clear lack of ambition from the owners.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'll hold off on judging fully until the end of the window - but if we don't do anything else of significance then its just a clear lack of ambition from the owners.
There is ambition.
Ambition to increase profits. And to do this, our aim is top 4...that's it. This has been proved over the last decade or so.
To get 1st place, we'd need to spend a disproportionate amount of money on players, which would reduce our profits.
So financially, it doesn't make sense to the owners to spend money to get us into 1st place.

Keep aiming for 4th place so we get CL money, while spending as little as possible. This will maximise profits and keep fans happy.

oz insomniac

Could do worse than employ the women’s football recruitment team now, the6 make decent signings swiftly And seem competent. Just a thought, otherwise it’s rinse and repeat again, targets , leaks, Uncle Joel has the purse strings, what could go wrong.

croadyman

There is ambition.
Ambition to increase profits. And to do this, our aim is top 4...that's it. This has been proved over the last decade or so.
To get 1st place, we'd need to spend a disproportionate amount of money on players, which would reduce our profits.
So financially, it doesn't make sense to the owners to spend money to get us into 1st place.

Keep aiming for 4th place so we get CL money, while spending as little as possible. This will maximise profits and keep fans happy.
Well you are right about the maximising profits but certainly not good enough to keep the fans happy that's for sure

lysglimt

Scout
In fairness - if not spending £150 million net is a lack of ambition - there is not a single ambitious side in the World right now. The only reason Chelsea have managed to spend that much is because they sold Hazard

I would much prefer we spend £70 million on 2 players we REALLY want - rather than £35 million on one player we want and £70 million on 4th or 5th choices. Let's only buy the players we want! If Reguilon is the left back we want we sign him - we dont sign an almost as good players who is £5 million cheaper. Same with Sancho - if we can't get him this year, well get someone like Bale on loan and sign him next summer. But let's not buy a 4th choice unless we buy that 4th choice cheaply as a back-up player like we did with Ighalo.

laughtersassassin

In fairness - if not spending £150 million net is a lack of ambition - there is not a single ambitious side in the World right now. The only reason Chelsea have managed to spend that much is because they sold Hazard

I would much prefer we spend £70 million on 2 players we REALLY want - rather than £35 million on one player we want and £70 million on 4th or 5th choices. Let's only buy the players we want! If Reguilon is the left back we want we sign him - we dont sign an almost as good players who is £5 million cheaper. Same with Sancho - if we can't get him this year, well get someone like Bale on loan and sign him next summer. But let's not buy a 4th choice unless we buy that 4th choice cheaply as a back-up player like we did with Ighalo.
Factually incorrect but I'll leave you to it.

We never spend 150 net. We average 50-70.

Anyway who cares about the spend. At the end of the day we aren't even attempting to stay relevant and catch up so far. That is not acceptable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So far, pretty underwhelming for "one of the most important windows in years".

Sancho can change it all, and make our dreams come true.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I pray hard that we have a conveyor belt of youngsters ready to step into XI. Gone are the days that we break record fee to sign players. To balance the book, I think our next spending will be 50-70 mil. Hopefully we stay in Top 4 and maybe Glazer will open their wallet for another 10-20 million more.

Ronaldo's Love Child

There seems to be a developing theory that United's spending as of today has only been bettered by City and Barcelona (or ar least there are not many other clubs who have spent as much as us). I'm not sure where this is coming from but let's take a closer look.

Arsenal
In

Gabriel Magalhaes (Lille) £27million
William Saliba (Saint-Etienne) £27m

Aston Villa
In

Ben Chrisene (Exeter) Undisclosed
Matty Cash (Nottingham Forest) £16m
Ollie Watkins (Brentford) £28m

Everton
In

James Rodriguez (Real Madrid) £20m
Niels Nkounkou (Marseille) Free
Allan (Napoli) £22m
Abdoulaye Doucoure (Watford) £20m

Leeds United
In

Helder Costa (Wolves) £16m
Illan Meslier (Lorient) Undisclosed
Cody Drameh (Fulham) Undisclosed
Charlie Allen (Linfield) Undisclosed
Joe Gelhardt (Wigan) Undisclosed
Jack Harrison (Manchester City) Loan
Sam Greenwood (Arsenal) Undisclosed
Dani Van Den Heuvel (Ajax) Free
Rodrigo (Valencia) £26m
Robin Koch (Freiburg) Undisclosed

Leicester
In

Timothy Castagne (Atalanta) £25m

Newcastle United
In

Mark Gillespie (Motherwell) Free
Jeff Hendrick (Burnley) Free
Callum Wilson (Bournemouth) £20m
Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth) Free
Jamal Lewis (Norwich) Undisclosed

Southampton
In

Mohammed Salisu (Real Valladolid) £10.9m
Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham) £12m

West Ham United
In

Tomas Soucek (Slavia Prague) £15m
and have bid £ 30 million for Tarkowski!

We have spent £ 40 million on DVB. As one of the richest clubs in the world we should be better placed to withstand the economic impact of Covid 19 meaning that our outlay pre-season should not really be THAT close to the other teams.

I don't give a rat's arse now if we get Sancho or not but we DO need to get at least 2 or 3 more players into the squad NOW!

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We have spent £ 40 million on DVB. As one of the richest clubs in the world we should be better placed to withstand the economic impact of Covid 19
Correction.
That's 40 Million Euro.....approx £36 Million in pounds.

Lets also remember, by some miracle, Sanchez is finally off the books, that's £500k per week not being paid out of the coffers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Correction.
That's 40 Million Euro.....approx £36 Million in pounds.

Lets also remember, by some miracle, Sanchez is finally off the books, that's £500k per week not being paid out of the coffers.
Yes, but rumour had it we had to pay him 10m, so we won't start banking any saving until 20 weeks time!

croadyman

Im hoping we can do what others do and not have to pay all the cash up front. I know the reports are that Dortmund dont like it but if we could get a 30 mill per year deal or something like it, even 45 now and 45 next season plus bonus's that would leave us with a load more cash. That would mean 45 for Sancho + 35 Donny. Even if Fernandes is included thats 130 ish. With sales maybe we can afford a Reguilon or a cheapish CB just about. Or even if we can get a 60 mill CB but pay 30 now and 30 next season or something like that. Im pretty sure a lot of clubs structure deals like this now.
They clearly don't want to keep being fobbed off with offers including addons/bonuses, we need to pay two maybe three fixed instalment figures or there is no chance of a deal in this window

Ikon

I remember Solskjaer saying that the Bruno fee would affect the Summer budget, so what happened to the Lukaku fee?
That was £75M incoming, is that what funded the Maguire deal?

bond19821982

Messed it up big time. I know we still got another 4 days but Woodward has failed the manager once again just like he messed up when we finished second under Jose.

When you finish second, you have an opportunity to spend big and attract quality players. For some reason, we seem to be doing the opposite. We miss top 4, players don't want to come and we end up paying over the odds for local players .

Seriously, what kind of planning is this ?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Messed it up big time. I know we still got another 4 days but Woodward has failed the manager once again just like he messed up when we finished second under Jose.

When you finish second, you have an opportunity to spend big and attract quality players. For some reason, we seem to be doing the opposite. We miss top 4, players don't want to come and we end up paying over the odds for local players .

Seriously, what kind of planning is this ?
It makes you wonder, do we need to finish lower in order to spend more which gives a better chance of finishing higher?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember Solskjaer saying that the Bruno fee would affect the Summer budget, so what happened to the Lukaku fee?
That was £75M incoming, is that what funded the Maguire deal?
Looks like it. Only way we sign even Telles is if Smalling goes.

Ikon

It makes you wonder, do we need to finish lower in order to spend more which gives a better chance of finishing higher?
It does seem to be the case, the club are just concerned to finish top 4 and get CL revenues and all the sponsorships deals that go with that.
Finish outside top 4, we throw £100m to fix the problem, when the problem is fixed and we reach the CL, a collectively sigh of relief, we don't have to spend anymore money...?!?

croadyman

It does seem to be the case, the club are just concerned to finish top 4 and get CL revenues and all the sponsorships deals that go with that.
Finish outside top 4, we throw £100m to fix the problem, when the problem is fixed and we reach the CL, a collectively sigh of relief, we don't have to spend anymore money...?!?
Yeah makes you want to puke how the club has been run for the last 15 years and no sign of it changing.

Would be at least something if they had the brains to appoint some football people on the board but no that would mean splitting up the uni bum chums.

Sparky Rhiwabon

OK, we've improved the squad depth with the signings of Van De Beek and Cavani, but I can’t believe we've gone a whole summer window without improving the starting XI (unless we are going to sign Sancho at the eleventh hour).

marktan

OK, we've improved the squad depth with the signings of Van De Beek and Cavani, but I can’t believe we've gone a whole summer window without improving the starting XI (unless we are going to sign Sancho at the eleventh hour).
We haven't had a proper RW since Nani, and I can't believe we still haven't done anything about it. It would've been a bit more bearable if we had good attacking fullbacks to provide width, but we don't, or if we had a LW that could dribble and stretch play, but we don't.

bond19821982

I wanted to reserve my judgement until the window was closed. These guys had 2 fecking months to wrap a right winger. Sancho or not , this shouldn't have reached to this extent. They should be fired for the negligence they have shown in chasing a right winger.

How do we keep making the same mistake every single year ?

croadyman

I wanted to reserve my judgement until the window was closed. These guys had 2 fecking months to wrap a right winger. Sancho or not , this shouldn't have reached to this extent. They should be fired for the negligence they have shown in chasing a right winger.

You wonder how bad it has to get for the ones over their heads to say enough is enough get on the commercial side and stay there

Traub

You wonder how bad it has to get for the ones over their heads to say enough is enough get on the commercial side and stay there
Relegation battle imo. Anything else and they safe

Loon

:lol:
Appallingly run club. In the hands of people who only see dollar bills.

pascell

So we've bought in van de Beek who's back up to Bruno.

Then waited until deadline day to sign Cavani who's been a free agent since June, another LB who we could've afforded at the same price earlier in the window and not one, but two shots in the dark at solving our RW problem. And one of those is an insane fee for a youngster who has played 24 minutes of first team football.

And thats without selling anyone but Smalling and paying Sanchez off.

This is what happens when you have someone in charge of transfers who is a novice in the footballing world.

Kag

So did I. As you say, everything surrounding United is a circus at the moment and it’s a matter of negligence that we’re trying (and failing) to bring in somebody like Dembélé on loan with three hours to spare.

Wankers.

AshRK

Shambolic way of running this club. Zero ambition and yet some will say but but but we spend money. It's not just about the money but how badly we do our recruitment year after year.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Shambolic way of running this club. Zero ambition and yet some will say but but but we spend money. It's not just about the money but how badly we do our recruitment year after year.
We do things other clubs can only dream of. Watch this space!