Most important summer window in years (100-150m budget)

fergosaurus

Deluded? Who's available that is better? Who's deluded? Is that where we should spend? :lol:
You said he's one of the best around. Clearly you haven't been watching us the past two seasons.

I said I don't know who's available but if we can improve on that position I think we should. Fair enough if you think otherwise. I have high hopes for Henderson but like I said he needs time to develop elsewhere and get first team football. We have an option to keep him until 2023 so there's no rush.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
100-150m budget is laughable if we really want to build a team capable of challenging for the PL. We need Sancho and a starting CDM as a must. Those 2 positions would cost minimum 150m.
Might be extra if we can get a bit of money in sales.

OleGunnar20

Move out the deadwood such as Rojo, Jones, Sanchez & Lingard, perhaps cash in on Fred while his stock is high.

Bring in Sancho, top drawer options at CB & DM and some young backup / rotation option to step in for Bruno as and when required.

Lots of work to do in very little time.

Jack-C20

Outs:
Smalling
Rojo
Tuanzebe (part exchange deal for Upamecano)
Bailly (part exchange deal for Torres)
Dalot
Mata
Sanchez
Periera
DeGea
Pogba

Ins:
Sancho
Ndidi or Kalvin Philips
VdB or Grealish
Ismaïla Sarr
Max Aarons
Upamecano
Torres
Henderson
I need to up my muppet game it seems. When is everyone expecting transfers to start happening properly? Not sure what to expect with the break being so short. Does the window close at the normal time?

Adamsk7

My ideal window would be -

In
Sancho
Grealish
VDB
Max Aarons (could be cheaper now, good potential)
Upamecano or similar CB

Out
Smalling
Rojo
Jones
Lingard
Sanchez
Dalot
Pereira
Chong (loan)
Grant
Mata (unless he’s happy just to be a squad player)

sparx99

100-150m budget is laughable if we really want to build a team capable of challenging for the PL. We need Sancho and a starting CDM as a must. Those 2 positions would cost minimum 150m.
It's not because the money isn't spent in one go. Sancho would likely only take £40-50m out of a £150m budget with the rest paid in installments and bonuses that come out of future budgets.

Not to mention its likely £100-150m plus sales.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Should have supported Jose that season. No second questions on it. We were on CL and it was one of the best opportunities to bring in quality players. Instead we got Fred and we all know what happened after that.
Mourinho has spent around £365m for transfer fees (not even include the adds on yet), while Klopp, for three summer windows he has spent around £370m and he won CL trophy in his 3rd season. So let that sinking to your mind, the guy has been backed enough with lot of money. What more do you expect the club to support him? He's the manager who signed Fred and others, it's his responsibility as a manager to know what he is signing and use that money wisely. It's also about coaching & knowing what you need, not about splashing money on the wrong players and ask for more money again, this is one of the many things where you can't see the positive.

Jibbs

I need to up my muppet game it seems. When is everyone expecting transfers to start happening properly? Not sure what to expect with the break being so short. Does the window close at the normal time?
I'd be happy with the three signings tbh. The window opens tomorrow and going to close on Oct 5.

Motorman

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Koulibaly Shaw
Rice Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Martial Sancho
Romero, Lindelof, Williams, Matic, Grealish, James, Rashford

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think DDG has been dodgy as feck but I don't think he'll be gone. Romero I wouldn't feel comfortable as our number one. I think DDG stays until OGS feels Henderson is ready to replace him.

In defence, we need a CB. Bailly can't be trusted to stay fit or even play well, he's a complete liability. Jones and Rojo should be gone, I think Rojo definitely is. Do we bring back Smalling? I wouldn't... Maguire and Lindelof isn't strong enough a pair if we want to dominate or at least be realistic challengers. I think this is important area to look at.

I think a fit Shaw is good enough for LB for another season and Williams I'm guessing will be his cover should he get injured. AWB has the RB spot. OGS has also been using TFM towards the last few games so may have plans for him. Where the feck are Dalot and Tuanzebe in the pecking order?

I think we definitely need to get a DMF. Partey? Matic can't be our first choice here. Think McTom and Fred can do a box to box job and Bruno and Pog are world class, if we can keep Pog that is.

Rashy and ideally Sancho could be a banging set of wingers/forwards with Greenwood coming in here and there and maybe give Chong some minutes. James I'm not sold on, think Sarr could be a good replacement but worth giving James more time.

Sell JLingz.

In strike we have Martial who has absolutely smashed it this season but need cover of Ighalo is going. Unless Rash can move forward when needs be (which is where Sarr comes in - can replace Rash if Martial needs rest), but yes, we look light up front.

So my ideal transfers:

CB - Koulibaly?
RW - Sancho
DMF - Partey?

And get either Sarr or a striker to cover Martial.

dbruce

If Woodward had supported Mourinho's vision, we wouldn't have had our arguably best player (Martial) today.

The problem wasn't that Mourinho wasn't backed financially, it was that his short-term plan for success was a solely self-serving plan that would be detrimental to the club in the long run. The best sporting decision Woodward ever made, except for sacking Mourning (and van Gaal and Moyes), was to stand up to Mourinho and insist that United had to invest in a future beyond Mourinho's mercenary stay.
My thoughts exactly

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we can get at least 50m from player sales (Lingard, Dalot, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo, Jones, Fred) and make it 200m budget.

Sancho - 100m
Grealish - 40m
Kabak - 35m
Koopmeiners - 25m

jesperjaap

If the budget is £150m and no extra from sales then all of these lists are irrelevant. We would struggle to buy Sancho AND Grealish let alone any other signings.
If we get extra money to spend from sales apart from the normal names mentioned then maybe DeGea, Bailly and Fred should be considered surplus. One is on a huge contract and gone from our best player to consistently poor for well over a season, one cant ever stay fit and the other has done nothing wrong and has improved but is the one player of value we have transfer wise that maybe isnt needed moving forward if we are being ruthless, even in the current market we should be looking towards £90m for those three

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If we can get at least 50m from player sales (Lingard, Dalot, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo, Jones, Fred) and make it 200m budget.

Sancho - 100m
Grealish - 40m
Kabak - 35m
Koopmeiners - 25m
How is Grealish available for 40M? Villa are now negotiating with a better position considering the PL revenue and not needing to sell immediately.

Jev

The problem was that he didn’t get the money required to improve the team after our best season in five years. Now whether Mourinho was the right man or not doesn’t really matter. Once Woodward decided he didn’t trust the manager to make investments in the squad he should’ve sacked him there and then. All that was achieved was kicking the can down the road and making our next season a waste of time.
I disagree. That is the job of a sporting director, which we're looking to appoint and which Woodward currently de facto operates as: To look at the bigger picture, the long-term plan that the club has layed out and which might not necessarily be compatible with the more short-sighted priorities of a manager like Mourinho. That doesn't necessarily mean you don't support your manager, just that the manager shouldn't be allowed to completely unravel a long-term plan over one or two transfer windows, the same way I always hate it when people say you can't judge a manager until it's "his team", as if every new manager who comes in every two or three years should just sell and replace the entire squad, undoing years and billions of investments.

The way to become a modern, well-run club is to lay down a long-term plan and some club principles that every new manager is hired to execute, not to rewrite.

Jev

How is Grealish available for 40M? Villa are now negotiating with a better position considering the PL revenue and not needing to sell immediately.
Yeah, 70-75 is probably a more realistic price. For me, that's still preferable to +100 million on Sancho but I'm probably in the minority on that.

sport2793

Sancho, Grealish, Rice, and Upamecano would be the ideal window. VDB instead of Rice is probably more attainable and also very good. Think those signings would comfortably place us in top 3 next season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Majority in the Grealish thread are convinced we can still get him at a reasonable price. So I thought I was the deluded one for thinking he would be costly now. Buendia is still a good option that would be cheap

Pav1878

Sancho would be great
But I feel we could have been very savvy like Chelsea and got Werner, Ziyech and maybe added Hakimi. But alas they've all gone elsewhere.

Sometimes I think we get too fixated on one player and miss out on others who could be excellent additions

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Mourinho has spent around £365m for transfer fees (not even include the adds on yet), while Klopp, for three summer windows he has spent around £370m and he won CL trophy in his 3rd season. So let that sinking to your mind, the guy has been backed enough with lot of money. What more do you expect the club to support him? He's the manager who signed Fred and others, it's his responsibility as a manager to know what he is signing and use that money wisely. It's also about coaching & knowing what you need, not about splashing money on the wrong players and ask for more money again, this is one of the many things where you can't see the positive.
Not sure why you keep going back to Jose here. That's not the point. We were at the highest point since SAF and there was an opportunity to attract quality players who wanted CL . We just didn't do it and missed a window putting us back by another 2 years. Ed can approve or reject Ole's options but end of the day we need the money to be spent on quality players and it needs to be done this window. Not next year or January.

Fahad Jawaid

Its certainly an important summer for us. We can sit on our laurels and fight for 4th/5th place again our cement ourselves as challengers for the title.

Today for example even the likes of Leicester had Gray and Barnes on the bench plus Maddison out. Can anybody honestly tell me with a straight face that any of our bench players are better than these? Look at Chelsea their bench is soo strong and they have already signed Ziyech and Werner with Havertz to join them.

Firstly, Its important to get rid of players who are there to make up numbers without actually contributing nothing.

Its telling that Ole ran the players to the ground but never made changes in these last few matches. It shows he does trust Ighalo, Mata, Lingard, Perreira, Fred etc. Plus we have several other players which need to be moved on with Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Sanchez that is 9 players which are required to be moved on and we wont miss them.

The amount being pessimistic i believe these 9 players will fetch;

Smalling 20m (including loan fee etc)
Sanchez (10m with Inter finally covering his wages)
Lingard 15m
Jones 8m
Rojo 5m
Mata free transfer
Perriera 10m
Ighalo loan move ending
Fred 25m

Total outs approximately 95 million, lets say we get around 90m only.

We need to go out and spend this 90m on Sancho to give us elite trickery and dribbling ability which we lack.

Whereas our 100m budget could be spent on Thiago 30m, konate/Upecemano 40m and around 30m for Lb/Rb cover somebody who is amazing going forward like Alex Telles.

Thiago is an interesting one, i belive he is not only going to help us playing out from the back. We can rotate him with Bruno, Pogba easily. Plus we can play all of them in champions league or tougher matches where ball retention is paramount. My first 11 next seasom would be a diamond;

Martial Sancho
Bruno
Pogba Thiago
Matic
Shaw Maguire Upecamano/Konate Awb
DDG

Bench: Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Lindelof, Telles, Romero and James

It also leaves us atleast 3 subs which can come on and change the game for us (Greenwood, Rashford and Telles) plus Mctominay or Lindelof as defensive subs.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
150 mils ain't gonna cut it. We need a tough CB because our current lot are too soft. Plus a DM who can unlock Pogba and Bruno. Not to mention the perennial RF/RW issue. Attacking FBs too if we want to get some service in from the wings. A 300 mil outlay at the least.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Maximum pressure needs to be on Ed now. Get those transfers done and get them done early.

AaronRedDevil

De Gea is far from one of the best, you're deluded if you believe that. I like the look of Henderson but it would be a big risk making him our #1at this stage in his career. It's one thing doing it at Sheffield Utd and another at Old Trafford. If he made a howler here like he did a few weeks ago he would've been under a lot more scrutiny.
Getting a GK when we already have one of the worlds best and a great backup and not to mention Henderson is looking good too. It would be a gigantic waste of time and money badly needed elsewhere.

kirk buttercup

150 mils ain't gonna cut it. We need a tough CB because our current lot are too soft. Plus a DM who can unlock Pogba and Bruno. Not to mention the perennial RF/RW issue. Attacking FBs too if we want to get some service in from the wings. A 300 mil outlay at the least.
not a chance in Hell we spend 300 million Not even if we sell players . No way.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Its certainly an important summer for us. We can sit on our laurels and fight for 4th/5th place again our cement ourselves as challengers for the title.

Today for example even the likes of Leicester had Gray and Barnes on the bench plus Maddison out. Can anybody honestly tell me with a straight face that any of our bench players are better than these? Look at Chelsea their bench is soo strong and they have already signed Ziyech and Werner with Havertz to join them.

Firstly, Its important to get rid of players who are there to make up numbers without actually contributing nothing.

Its telling that Ole ran the players to the ground but never made changes in these last few matches. It shows he does trust Ighalo, Mata, Lingard, Perreira, Fred etc. Plus we have several other players which need to be moved on with Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Sanchez that is 9 players which are required to be moved on and we wont miss them.

The amount being pessimistic i believe these 9 players will fetch;

Smalling 20m (including loan fee etc)
Sanchez (10m with Inter finally covering his wages)
Lingard 15m
Jones 8m
Rojo 5m
Mata free transfer
Perriera 10m
Ighalo loan move ending
Fred 25m

Total outs approximately 95 million, lets say we get around 90m only.

We need to go out and spend this 90m on Sancho to give us elite trickery and dribbling ability which we lack.

Whereas our 100m budget could be spent on Thiago 30m, konate/Upecemano 40m and around 30m for Lb/Rb cover somebody who is amazing going forward like Alex Telles.

Thiago is an interesting one, i belive he is not only going to help us playing out from the back. We can rotate him with Bruno, Pogba easily. Plus we can play all of them in champions league or tougher matches where ball retention is paramount. My first 11 next seasom would be a diamond;

Martial Sancho
Bruno
Pogba Thiago
Matic
Shaw Maguire Upecamano/Konate Awb
DDG

Bench: Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Lindelof, Telles, Romero and James

It also leaves us atleast 3 subs which can come on and change the game for us (Greenwood, Rashford and Telles) plus Mctominay or Lindelof as defensive subs.
Sell Fred for 25M? Who will you replace him for that kind of money? Championship stars are more expensive than that.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
not a chance in Hell we spend 300 million Not even if we sell players . No way.
We won't that's true. But we need it if we want to have a team capable to getting 85 points, picking up a domestic trophy and perhaps a CL Qf or Sf.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Need to match Chelsea’s rebuild. They are our counterparts for the next season or 2 for me. We will still beoff the of the top 2, but hopefully a smaller gap.

This window is big. Get a few in and we can claw back some lost time/transfer windows , with those around us(other than Chelsea) spending far less than envisaged.

Kostov

It's not because the money isn't spent in one go. Sancho would likely only take £40-50m out of a £150m budget with the rest paid in installments and bonuses that come out of future budgets.

Not to mention its likely £100-150m plus sales.
Don’t be so sure of that, I can’t see Dortmund accepting that. More likely we will have to pay most of it now. 100m out of 150 most likely.

Mainoldo

Rice, Grealish and Sancho. Job done. What’s that about £160m?

yamo123x

Outs:
Smalling
Rojo
Tuanzebe (part exchange deal for Upamecano)
Bailly (part exchange deal for Torres)
Dalot
Mata
Sanchez
Periera
DeGea
Pogba

Ins:
Sancho
Ndidi or Kalvin Philips
VdB or Grealish
Ismaïla Sarr
Max Aarons
Upamecano
Torres
Henderson
The new jsingh???

AneRu

Rice, Grealish and Sancho. Job done. What’s that about £160m?
More like £200m to £250m, I think if we get Sancho and Grealish we will probably need to be very creative with how we fund a move for the next player and look towards the European Leagues for a player similar to Rice.

fergosaurus

Getting a GK when we already have one of the worlds best and a great backup and not to mention Henderson is looking good too. It would be a gigantic waste of time and money badly needed elsewhere.
This isn't 2017. De Gea is sadly a complete liability now and shouldn't be starting games for us. Romero is a great backup but I'm not sure I'd feel confortable with him as our #1 for a full season. If it's a choice between him and De Gea though it's Romero all day long for me.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Massive window, but it feels like we are saying the same thing every year.

Sancho will be huge, we'd have attacking quality to rival any team on the planet.

I understand the want of cover for Bruno, but I feel cover for Matic is more important for next season. Sancho is capable of playing Central when Bruno needs a rest, or alternatively you move Pogba forward.

Matic has no real cover with Fred and McT both struggling in that deeper role.

CB I feel like Lindelof has been our best defender since lock down, but he should be pushing for a place in the side rather than being an undisputed starter.

Sancho
DM
CB
AM

In order of priority for me. LB cover is a luxury, and with Williams I don't think it's necessary to upgrade there just yet.

Mainoldo

More like £200m to £250m, I think if we get Sancho and Grealish we will probably need to be very creative with how we fund a move for the next player and look towards the European Leagues for a player similar to Rice.
Yeah they’d want silly money for Rice and I hope Sancho cost around £80m but I reckon it will be just over £100m.

Which DM’s you thinking? I think Rice is the safer option.

yamo123x

Partey would be a perfect signing think he would be great in prem league.

Grealish will do well for us too and importantly wants the move.

Sancho is an obvious

However we need attacking full backs,. Despite his youth and reserve performances williams looks suspect for me and never plays forward.and AWB needs to work on his forward play. Good attacking full backs are key feature.on modern game.

Dont see us buying a centre forward or a centre back as we have Menghi coming through.at the back as well as Tuanzebe.who has to stay fit and Greenwood will be our main man up top for years to come.

Last edited:

AneRu

Yeah they’d want silly money for Rice and I hope Sancho cost around £80m but I reckon it will be just over £100m.

Which DM’s you thinking? I think Rice is the safer option.
I think Rice has to be our prime target for the role especially if we are playing Pogba in that deep role long term. We could take a punt of Koopmeiners who would cost much less or on Zakaria but I doubt if he has the passing required.

If it was up to me I'd sell Fred to supplement funds because if we get those three we will have a solid team plus some depth and competition for the creative roles. But having signed on Matic to a big contract I don't think DM will be high on the priority, which would be a mistake in my view because Matic can't play consistently through the season. He'd be good to have around and starting matches after a long Euopean away trip for sure.