Most important summer window in years (100-150m budget)

diarm

Out: 210m - 60m
DDG - 40M - 25 maybe (if we can find a buyer who can afford his wages)
Dalot - 15m
Jones - 15m - 10
Lindelof - 50m - won't sell
Rojo - 15m - 0
Tuanzebe - 15m - won't sell
Lingard - 30m - 25 maybe. We would be doing well to get that much.
Sanchez - 15m - 0
Mata- 15m - 0

In: 270
Max Aarons - 20m
Konate - 60m
Ake - 50m
Sancho - 90m
Zaniolo - 50m

60m - 210m or 60 over our budget.
The prices you are suggesting are simply unrealistic when you factor in the current climate, the wages our players on and their profiles.

Kag

We need a fair bit of movement actually. It might border on the realm of PlayStation chatter but we need a right winger, as well as quality alternatives to Rashford and Bruno/Pogba.

I’d be looking to sell Lingard and Pereira (as well as Sanchez) and replacing them with Sancho and Grealish. I think that Ajax fella would be a good fit, too; a very reasonable option to Pogba.

We can make do without this much coveted defensive midfielder for another year. This summer is about sorting out the attack once and for all. If we are to make genuine progress in the league then we need to be scoring upwards of 80 goals. Another quality starter (Sancho) and genuine quality in and around the squad (Grealish) will support this aim.

With three forward signings done, I’d look into bringing in another centre half if the right player is available. I’ve previously argued that this isn’t necessary but we’ve two reliable options there and I’m sick of relying on crocks.

With this in mind, we absolutely need a new left back; one to provide cover and competition to Shaw, who we can’t rely on. Dalot is clearly on his bike and Williams makes for good cover on both sides. I’d seriously look into Lewis at Norwich. He’s got a fair bit about him and wouldn’t cost a ton.

The club has to back Ole this summer. While one or two signings would probably do, I think we can think bigger. Get ahead in the market instead of playing catch up.

Macedonian Red

Rw and Amf is must buy even Bruno and Greenwood play at very high level. With CL there will be (blood :D ) game another 3 days and I expect new amf, Greenwood and Mctominay to rest Bruno/Pogba, Sancho/Rashford and Matic and plays a lot of minutes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are you taking the piss? You really think any club is going to pay us 30m for Lingard? :houllier: Goodluck getting even 10m for him.

If we are really looking to hawk these players, what we might realistically expect could be -

Jones - 7 ~ 8 m
Lindelof - 30 m
Lingard - 10 ~ 12 m ( we should bite any one's hand off)
Sanchez - 7 ~ 8 m (with the wages he is on, even this might be a stretch)
Lingard is English. He's got a huge social media following, he can play across the whole forward line and he is in his prime. Lindelof is young and a Man United first teamer. Sanchez is a big name signing who can play as a LW, a RW and a striker. Inter and United are negotiating on the 20m mark for him

If Leicester can get 80m in cash for the new Steve Bruce and Juve can get around 60m for a 29 year old Pjanic then we can get decent fees for our players as well especially if we accept installments . I concede that 15m on Mata and Jones would be too much. However if we factor the salary spared in it as well then it won't be that unrealistic

x2in

Out:
Pereira - £5m
Lingard - £10m
Dalot - £10m
Sanchez - £5m
Jones - £5m
Smalling - £10m
Rojo - £5m
TFM - £5m
Garner - Loan
James - Loan
Mata - Released
Grant - Released

In:
Sancho - £90m
CB - Fast pacey, strong in the air
DM - Backup for Matic
Backup LB - Fast pacey, left footed, good crossing/overlapping

Promoted
GK - Henderson
CM/CAM - Mejbri
CB - Mengi
RB - Laird

Robbo*

I see a few people mentioning Max Aarons - are there other players from the relegated clubs that we might pick up at a good price for roles as squad players? Thinking Ake, Brooks maybe.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Nah.

A- most transfers are paid in installments. So a 100m fee will probably cost us 40m in the first year with 20m per year for the next 3 years

B- we will be selling players.
But if you’re using A as your logic, you also need to take off the £100-150m instalments from previous transfers that we are still paying off, e.g. Maguire, Bruno, AWB, Pogba, etc

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I actually think we have a brittle core. De Gea, Matic and Mcguire do not really fill me with confidence. The core needs a complete relook.
Probably true, but it can't happen all at once, so we have to pick and choose the areas to improve at this summer. For example, Shaw and AWB are good fullbacks, but every top club needs at least one attack minded option so there's that. Then, Pogba and Fernandes are creative, but we don't have a genuinely playmaker in midfield, someone who can control play from deeper areas, ala Carrick, Busquets, Modric, Scholes etc We have to weigh whether that is more important than a DM. Players of that quality are hard to find, but we need someone who can dictate play from the middle of the park. Pogba is playing as an 8 but he's not naturally the brains of the midfield. He can be the creative spark, but can't run the play.

devilish

But if you’re using A as your logic, you also need to take off the £100-150m instalments from previous transfers that we are still paying off, e.g. Maguire, Bruno, AWB, Pogba, etc
Maguire was paid in cash.

Before committing to a specific transfer budget, clubs tend to do their homework. They will factor stuff like salaries, debt, expenses (Inc installments) and asset depreciation. The budget is not set in stone either. For example the club might think its worth to go over budget if it means replacing a high earning player in his 30s with a younger player on lower salary especially if the latter has far bigger resale value and can attract more sponsors. A huge name like ours can perform wonders with a big name signing who is doing well on the pitch . For example Real were already making profit out of Ronaldo just 6 months after signing him

Last edited:

Smithy89

No excuses now from the prats in the suits, world class signings needed. Won't accept anything less than the likes of Sancho, Saul, Van De Beek etc them type and calibre of players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maguire was paid in cash.

Before committing to a specific transfer budget, clubs tend to do their homework. They will factor stuff like salaries, debt, expenses (Inc installments) and asset depreciation. The budget is not set in stone either. For example the club might think its worth to go over budget if it means replacing a high earning player in his 30s with a younger player on lower salary especially if the latter has far bigger resale value and can attract more sponsors. A huge name like ours can perform wonders with a big name signing who is doing well on the pitch . For example Real were already making profit out of Ronaldo just 6 months after signing him
Makes sense

Bestietom

Out:
Pereira - £5m
Lingard - £10m
Dalot - £10m
Sanchez - £5m
Jones - £5m
Smalling - £10m
Rojo - £5m
TFM - £5m
Garner - Loan
James - Loan
Mata - Released
Grant - Released

In:
Sancho - £90m
CB - Fast pacey, strong in the air
DM - Backup for Matic
Backup LB - Fast pacey, left footed, good crossing/overlapping

Promoted
GK - Henderson
CM/CAM - Mejbri
CB - Mengi
RB - Laird
Sensible, but harder to get rid of players than bringing in players.
Still needed for team-:
Left footed strong CB
Dm
RW
Forward or AM who can score goals and can play with or fill in for Fernandes

devilish

Makes sense
Fees has become incredibly complex these days with alot of things to be taken in consideration. Take Jesse's deal as an example. Player wise he is 15m at best. Then you start adding his social media presence, his versatility (RW, AM, LW), the fact that he is English and that he rarely gets injured and voila the fee increases. Of course it only increases if we have a chief negotiator who knows what he is doing

Zelex

I don't see more than 3 signings (potential starters) for this window. I think Sancho will be determine the type of signings. If we get him, I believe that his versatility and creativity means that we would focus on getting a CDM and CB also.

Devil may care

If that's really the budget then it's 2 players maximum, so Sancho and and holding midfielder need to be the priorities.

lysglimt

Scout
I see a few people mentioning Max Aarons - are there other players from the relegated clubs that we might pick up at a good price for roles as squad players? Thinking Ake, Brooks maybe.
Sarr for me

lysglimt

Scout
If that's really the budget then it's 2 players maximum, so Sancho and and holding midfielder need to be the priorities.
If we can get rid of Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling, Jones, Dalot, TFM, Mata, Grant - I still want to keep Lingard and Pereira unless we get a really good offer for them - we should be able to get three players in

Devil may care

If we can get rid of Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling, Jones, Dalot, TFM, Mata, Grant - I still want to keep Lingard and Pereira unless we get a really good offer for them - we should be able to get three players in
Out of that lot we'd only get about £30M imo and Pereira is of lessuse than Mata. i think Lingard will fetch us nearly as much on his own from a side like West Ham or Sheffield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm going to assume the 150m budget is true and with some player sales it could be up to 200m. I think Sancho and back up AM should be the top of our priority list while DM and CB come next but are both equally important

I'd go for this:
Sancho - 100m
VdB - 35m
Rice - 65m

Alemar

We really need a complete overhaul with the squad players. Ole made the good point that this year we had Europa league where we could rotate loads and still struggled through and were stretched. Next season will be CL and League. Only rotating in the carabao cup (which we should scrap entirely, or go full reserve squad, not even rotated squad ) and half rotation in the FA Cup. There won't be "easier games" next year, or very few. So we need a revamp with the depth. Sancho to our attack makes me pretty comfortable with our front 3 options (Greenwood the first sub, Ighalo and James as further depth). Need similar quality to Greenwood in every area though, that we have somebody pushing for a starting spot and the level won't drop in case anyone gets injured from one of the positional groups. 2 players from one then of course you'll feel it.
Sancho, Grealish, a centerback and a fullback would be perfect. Sancho the main one of course, but don't expect much more than him (which isn't bad still).
Greenwood is unlikely to be the first sub in this scenario. Rashford is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think we'll sign 3 maybe 4 players with about 5 players leaving.

People talking about spending 300m in this window and signing 7 or 8 players are going to be disappointed.

I will say that this transfer window is vital because we've largely wasted our other CL transfer windows. Now we need to maintain our position in order to advance to the next level.

StonedhamsterZA

Would rather us go for Ferran Torres if it means we can save 40m for another player.

Will he be as good an option as Sancho? I'm not sure, but if we have to get any more underwhelming signings from Dortmund I think I'll cry.

GioF

100-150m budget is laughable if we really want to build a team capable of challenging for the PL. We need Sancho and a starting CDM as a must. Those 2 positions would cost minimum 150m.
Surely we won’t just start throwing the whole payment in one lump sum though?

Kostov

Surely we won’t just start throwing the whole payment in one lump sum though?
Well just like in any business, depend on what we think is better, paying less and at once or pay more in installments. Depends on what our money men think of this whole economic situation, and also what Dortmund will demand.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Greenwood is unlikely to be the first sub in this scenario. Rashford is.
Not a chance... Greenwood is 18 years old. Hes a terrific youngster, but he still isn't fully developed physically where he can be expected to start every game. The 4 of them will likely get a similar amount of gametime overall, through rotation with a large amount of important games, loss of form, injuries, etc. There's very very little chance that Rashford gets pushed out though as a long term thing, and rightly so. He's turned into a brilliant player over the past season, and is key to us. He had a bad week where he looked like he couldn't run anymore, let's not take it for more than what it actually is. 1 bad week after a crazy busy period due to fatigue (mental and physical I'm sure). Greenwood is an excellent youngster but he isn't a better footballer than any of Martial, Rashford or Sancho, at least not yet.

sp_107

Wondering if Chelsea director "Granovskaia" is the real deal or she got backed up by Roman's mafia support ?

She becomes too good while offloading players and signing new players they want. Really impressive

RuudTom83

I don't see more than 3 players signing, its unrealistic to imagine 5-6 in and out in one window.

For a squad aiming for Top 3 (again) and a good CL run, the area that is the weakest is by far DM, Matic needs help! I'd put that position as a higher priority than Sancho.

But Woody would love the Sancho signing so I feel that will be looked at first, but I hope DM is being considered and targets already found.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Out:
Pereira - £15m
Lingard - £20m
Sanchez - £15m
Jones - £10m
Smalling - £20m
Rojo - £5m
Fred - £40m (hopeful value)
James - Loan

Total: £125m

In:
Sancho - £90m
Grealish - £70m
VDB - £50
Koulibaly - £65m

Total: £275m (minus the £125m from sales, net spend about £150m)

I'd love a world class DM next to Pogba but that would push net spending over £200m which the club won't do. Neves would be a dream.

The values won't be spot on but I think they're in the right ball park. If we make those signing and the team gel quickly, we could challenge for the Prem next season. Thoughts?
Muppet mode
Out:
Pereira - £10m
Lingard - £15m
Sanchez - £15m
Jones - £10m
Smalling - £20m
Rojo - £5m
Fred - £30m

Total: £105m

In:
Sancho - £95m
Rice - £65m
VDB - £35m
Koulibaly - £65m

Total - 260
Net spend - 155m

Alemar

Not a chance... Greenwood is 18 years old. Hes a terrific youngster, but he still isn't fully developed physically where he can be expected to start every game. The 4 of them will likely get a similar amount of gametime overall, through rotation with a large amount of important games, loss of form, injuries, etc. There's very very little chance that Rashford gets pushed out though as a long term thing, and rightly so. He's turned into a brilliant player over the past season, and is key to us. He had a bad week where he looked like he couldn't run anymore, let's not take it for more than what it actually is. 1 bad week after a crazy busy period due to fatigue (mental and physical I'm sure). Greenwood is an excellent youngster but he isn't a better footballer than any of Martial, Rashford or Sancho, at least not yet.
No one can start every game in attacking positions, rotation will be key. Still, if we are talking about merit, then Greenwood simply performed better than Rashford during project Restart, like it or not. As such, there are no reasons to believe Ole will intentionally keep a better performer on the bench (and chances are, that due to his age Greenwood may further improve more than Rashford may improve).

seegoblu

In this window, in addition to filling the Sancho-sized hole at RW, I think it’s a DM or a CB but not both, even though both positions need upgrades. With a more mobile CB partner for Maguire, Matic can play the role and his sluggish feet won’t be as big of a liability. With a more mobile DM, Lindeloff can continue to partner with Maguire to be an effective pair albeit not a standout combination.
This approach allows the club to get Sancho and a top depth player for the CM.

Muppet mode
Out:
Pereira - £10m
Lingard - £15m
Sanchez - £15m
Jones - £10m
Smalling - £20m
Rojo - £5m
Fred - £30m

Total: £105m

In:
Sancho - £95m
Rice - £65m
VDB - £35m
Koulibaly - £65m

Total - 260
Net spend - 155m
We aren’t getting £30m for Sanchez, Jones and Rojo.

Sanchez will be a free, and can’t see a buyer for the other two, we might get takers if free transfers.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We are still handicapped by having a bloated squad and a huge wage bill, so for me our business this summer will be impacted just as much by who can we move out than by whatever our supposed budget turns out to be.

Sanchez, Smalling & Rojo are all loaned out and without knowing the specifics of how much these players are costing us I'm sure that it is a significant number. We need to get them off of the books, and probably only Smalling of the three carries any real value in terms of transfer fees, but even so they have to go

In terms of who is still in the squad, Mata is reportedly on around £8.5m a year. As much as I like him its a ton of cash to be paying someone who isn't contributing. Lingard, Jones, Bailly are all on the fringes and earning a good salary. Crucially none of these four will be likely to bring in a noteworthy transfer fee. Same with Pereira.

This is where people still underestimate the issues we have within the squad. We have some very valuable players but we want to keep all of those. The ones we don't want are draining the club, bloating the wage bill and are almost worthless. Those 8 players listed above are probably costing the club somewhere in the region of £40-50m a year in wages, none of them are contributing, and this absolutely has an impact on our budget and what we can offer incoming players, but...….how do we get rid of these players? Its not easy. Buying clubs are not stupid and have little desire to solve our problems for us.

This is why I think fans should prepare themselves for a relatively quiet summer. We may see three coming in and perhaps three of the above going out, but if we want Sancho then we will be forced to look around for value elsewhere, which rules the likes of Grealish out IMO.

Fluctuation0161

Rumors that we have about 100- 150m kitty. We are third and this is probably the most important window in many years.

Ed made a mistake in not supporting Jose when we got 2nd. We can't make that same mistake again and think we are good enough for next season. We have some very glaring weakness and hope we get this sorted out this window.

Very interested to see how would we spend this 100-150m the summer.
Totally agree. Most important transfer window since Ed didn't back Jose when we last saw some progress finishing 2nd.

If we don't back Ole with good investment I will be pissed.

Craig Ward

Lingard is English. He's got a huge social media following, he can play across the whole forward line and he is in his prime. Lindelof is young and a Man United first teamer. Sanchez is a big name signing who can play as a LW, a RW and a striker. Inter and United are negotiating on the 20m mark for him

If Leicester can get 80m in cash for the new Steve Bruce and Juve can get around 60m for a 29 year old Pjanic then we can get decent fees for our players as well especially if we accept installments . I concede that 15m on Mata and Jones would be too much. However if we factor the salary spared in it as well then it won't be that unrealistic
Social media followers dont make you a better footballer, if 1goal and 1 assist is in his prime then we're all doomed. Lingard has a proven track record of being underwhelming and the stats dont lie. He's simply not very good

Lingard is worth about 15mil in todays market. 20 if we are lucky.

sp_107

Can we get Saul? Can he play in Matic role?
Any better options than Saul for Number 6 role?