Most Memorable Meeting with an Ex-Player?

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
So I was having a look on the awesome photos thread and thought this would be a great reminiscent topic regarding stories from those that have been lucky to have met an ex-player/legend of our great club. Mine was around 4 years ago, I heard the legend that is Mr Eric Cantona was doing a talk in the Lowry in Manchester so as it was my birthday I went with my mum as Cantona was her favourite player in the 90s. I wore a 95 shirt and brought a sharpie with me to see if he would sign it for me. During the photoshoot I was literally in awe, especially how tall he was compared to myself :lol: so after the photo I pulled out my sharpie and asked if he would sign my shirt. I got lynched off security and was feeling very sheepish when Eric came over and told them to let me go and then took the sharpie and signed my shirt. Everyone in the shoot applauded. It literally was the moment that embodied the man for me, I took a long shot asking for him to sign my shirt as it was busy but he made the time and got me out of security's hands as they tried to move me on. And during the talk someone asking him to say his favourite saying which he did with a massive smile and aura around him. God that day is one of my favourite moments of meeting and ex United Legend (I have met a few) but that takes precedent for me. :devil:

What are your favourite stories when you have met an ex-player or legend of our great club?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Met the current manager at his summer school camp in 2007. I think his PE teacher tag may have originated from there.

Can7onA

I was fortunate to attend a few games in a private box in the middle of the Stretford end for a season a few years back through work.

Met Paddy Crerand a few times and he's such a nice bloke :)

TrueRed1999

I was fortunate to attend a few games in a private box in the middle of the Stretford end for a season a few years back through work.

Met Paddy Crerand a few times and he's such a nice bloke :)
He seems a real nice bloke I met Jimmy Greenhoff in a box I was invited to by my Uncle once, nice bloke with great stories.

Gaussian

In the European Super Cup match against Zenit St Petersburg on the plane back from Monaco I noticed in the departure lounge that I was on the plane with Ole Gunnar Solskjær. After the fasten seatbelt sign went off he went to the toilet passing by me (I was sat at the back on the aisle seat). On his return from the toilet a lady across the aisle from me managed to start a conversation with him.
For the next 30/40 minutes I was sat on a plane trying to ignore the fact one of my favourite players arses was inches from my face.

He never apologised. Ole out!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I won a pretty decent all-in pot against Sheringham at a card room in London a few years back. I still have a picture of the table on a phone somewhere. My straight beat his two pair.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The club legend that is Tom Cleverly in a bar in Ibiza. My mate asked me if it was him, and some bloke leaned over and said “yeah it is, but I’m here to make sure no one goes over”, so when he went outside on the phone I went over and said hi. He was sound, although probably wondering where his shite security guy went.

This was during the day and before the (ibiza) season had fully started, so was really quiet. Saw him and his mates chanting football songs on the West End a few hours later.

Jonno

I'll tell you my story, that still stresses me out, but makes me laugh my head off every time i tell it.

30th July 2008, United are champions of England and Europe. I'm about 20 years old. I knew a guy who ran the Lancashire FA venue in Leyland, Preston. They hosted Man United Reserves v Liverpool reserves. It was a cup final, and there were rumours that Fergie would be there.

I sat down, had my 3 course meal, sat opposite a few z list football people, Mark Halsey (ref) being one, a few others.

Low and behold, Fergie walked in, sat on the round table next to me. I put all my energy into looking at Fergie, my idol, hero, father figure of a man, sarcastically I went to my mate, look at that bald guy next to him with his back to us, I bet that's Bobby Charlton. He turns around, its Sir Bobby! I couldn't believe it.
I spent a good hour just listening in to Fergie, he knew everyone at the table, every person, he's asking how their family are, their husbands and wives by first name. Really pleasant, genuine guy.

We finished the meal, I thought "i'm never getting this opportunity ever again, ever".
My mates going "DONT, DONT, DONT FECKING DO IT"
I did it
I walked over, Fergie was mid-conversation.
Bobby was smiling at me as I nervously ambled over.
I said "such a pleasure to meet you Sir Bobby, bla bla bla, can you sign my match programme?".
He said sure, you got a pen?
"No, sorry, I don't"
He said "no problem", reached into his pocket, pulls out a pen, signs it
He looked at me as if to say, "you want to go speak to Sir Alex don't you".
So I did, he was mid convo, my adrenaline and nerves produced a gentle whack into his back, and i said "excuse me Sir Alex".
He spun round super quick, as if I was telling him his car had been towed
"Hi son", he said
"I'm such a huge fan, you've been a legend at the club I love for my entire lifetime, bla bla bla, can you sign my match programme?"
"sure, you got a pen?"
I still didn't have a pen, i spun round, Bobby, had the pen ready, i snatched it out of his hand, "cheers Bobby!"
Had I just committed theft from one Knight of the Realm, and assaulted another?
Fergie signed it, I asked him about Ronaldo (rumours he was leaving), he said something like "leave that to me son, no doubt about that"
I walked off, i glanced at my mate, he's hiding behind his muffin, purple in the face.

Absolute scenes. It doesn't end there.

We said "right, nearly kick off, lets go find a spot outside instead of watching from behind glass"
We walked through a door, through another door, down a corridor, down some steps.
We open the door, we're only in the fecking tunnel and United/Liverpool are in their full kits, waiting to go out
Ole was the manager! He looked me right in the eye
Luckily I was in a suit, as it was a formal dinner
I just pretended I belonged there.
I stood behind both teams, clapped them as they walked out, fans (only a few hundred, but still...) started taking photos of me and my mate as we walked out with them, both pretending to be part of the staff, waving at them, no idea where to walk to, we stood next to the dugout the whole 45 mins.
Ole kept turning around to me, for no reason, moaning his winger can't stay on side when diagonal balls were being played over to him. I'm just stood there, baffled by the whole evening, nodding along, going "yeah, yeah Ole, stay on side innit"
Absolutely RIDICULOUS
I've got the autographed programme on my wall to this day.

I hope you enjoyed reading that, its all 100% true. It still baffles me it happened. Born in 1987, to meet Fergie, the man who has dominated english football my whole life, at my club, at the precise moment we were champions of Europe. Football, bloody hell.

Last edited:

48 hours

My first part time job was at comet. Quite a lot of footballers used to come in there. Beckham came in buying a hair dryer when he was in his skin head phase so had obviously been sent on an errand by the wife. Quinton Fortune gave me a £20 tip for taking what he bought to his car.

Unrelated to comet, Gordon Strachan, who had Paul Ince as a passenger in his car, told me to feck off outside Stockports ground once as I wouldn’t move some cones so he could drive down a street closed for emergency access

TrueRed1999

I'll tell you my story, that still stresses me out, but makes me laugh my head off every time i tell it.

30th July 2008, United are champions of England and Europe. I'm about 20 years old. I knew a guy who ran the Lancashire FA venue in Leyland, Preston. They hosted Man United Reserves v Liverpool reserves. It was a cup final, and there were rumours that Fergie would be there.

I sat down, had my 3 course meal, sat opposite a few z list football people, Mark Halsey (ref) being one, a few others.

Low and behold, Fergie walked in, sat on the round table next to me. I put all my energy into looking at Fergie, my idol, hero, father figure of a man, sarcastically I went to my mate, look at that bald guy next to him with his back to us, I bet that's Bobby Charlton. He turns around, its Sir Bobby! I couldn't believe it.
I spent a good hour just listening in to Fergie, he knew everyone at the table, every person, he's asking how their family are, their husbands and wives by first name. Really pleasant, genuine guy.

We finished the meal, I thought "i'm never getting this opportunity ever again, ever".
My mates going "DONT, DONT, DONT FECKING DO IT"
I did it
I walked over, Fergie was mid-conversation.
Bobby was smiling at me as I nervously ambled over.
I said "such a pleasure to meet you Sir Bobby, bla bla bla, can you sign my match programme?".
He said sure, you got a pen?
"No, sorry, I don't"
He said "no problem", reached into his pocket, pulls out a pen, signs it
He looked at me as if to say, "you want to go speak to Sir Alex don't you".
So I did, he was mid convo, my adrenaline and nerves produced a gentle whack into his back, and i said "excuse me Sir Alex".
He spun round super quick, as if I was telling him his car had been towed
"Hi son", he said
"I'm such a huge fan, you've been a legend at the club I love for my entire lifetime, bla bla bla, can you sign my match programme?"
"sure, you got a pen?"
I still didn't have a pen, i spun round, Bobby, had the pen ready, i snatched it out of his hand, "cheers Bobby!"
Had I just committed theft from one Knight of the Realm, and assaulted another?
Fergie signed it, I asked him about Ronaldo (rumours he was leaving), he said something like "leave that to me son, no doubt about that"
I walked off, i glanced at my mate, he's hiding behind his muffin, purple in the face.

Absolute scenes. It doesn't end there.

We said "right, nearly kick off, lets go find a spot outside instead of watching from behind glass"
We walked through a door, through another door, down a corridor, down some steps.
We open the door, we're only in the fecking tunnel and United/Liverpool are in their full kits, waiting to go out
Ole was the manager! He looked me right in the eye
Luckily I was in a suit, as it was a formal dinner
I just pretended I belonged there.
I stood behind both teams, clapped them as they walked out, fans (only a few hundred, but still...) started taking photos of me and my mate as we walked out with them, both pretending to be part of the staff, waving at them, no idea where to walk to, we stood next to the dugout the whole 45 mins.
Ole kept turning around to me, for no reason, moaning his winger can't stay on side when diagonal balls were being played over to him. I'm just stood there, baffled by the whole evening, nodding along, going "yeah, yeah Ole, stay on side innit"
Absolutely RIDICULOUS
I've got the autographed programme on my wall to this day.

I hope you enjoyed reading that, its all 100% true. It still baffles me it happened. Born in 1987, to meet Fergie, the man who has dominated english football my whole life, at my club, at the precise moment we were champions of Europe. Football, bloody hell.
Brilliant Story

Jacob

Won a poker tourney on RedCafe which allowed me to do fine dining with Niall and a bunch of ex players in the hospitality suite ahead of a home game against Sunderland. I've a photo with Denis Irwin while holding the PL trophy.

Good times!

TrueRed1999

Won a poker tourney on RedCafe which allowed me to do fine dining with Niall and a bunch of ex players in the hospitality suite ahead of a home game against Sunderland. I've a photo with Denis Irwin while holding the PL trophy.

Good times!
Nice, I met Denis Law at a sports convention 2 years ago had a great chat with him and my mate managed to get me Denis Irwins auto on the 20th Champions Cards they gave out at the parade (I was at the front where town hall is).

U.N.C.L.E

Met Andrei Kanchelskis in the VIP Lounge, Hampden Park during the Commonwealth Games, Glasgow 2014. I didn’t recognise him at first but Aunty (my wife, a deeply troubled United tragic - worse than myself and cusses at the telly during gamex) literally shrieked out loud and ran across towards him only to be intercepted by the Games security staff.

Once it was all cleared up, Andrei obliged us with a photo op.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I saw Roy Keane in Tescos a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the till was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

TrueRed1999

I saw Roy Keane in Tescos a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the till was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
That sounds like Keane, my dad met him in the 90s when my dad played Snooker professionally and bumped into him with his dog. Funny thing is my dad is similar and when Keane was going on my dad did the same :lol: my dad is a United fan but his favourite players were from the 70s/80s and think my dad said Keane had been at United for 2 years when he bumped into him so wasn't that arsed

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That sounds like Keane, my dad met him in the 90s when my dad played Snooker professionally and bumped into him with his dog. Funny thing is my dad is similar and when Keane was going on my dad did the same :lol: my dad is a United fan but his favourite players were from the 70s/80s and think my dad said Keane had been at United for 2 years when he bumped into him so wasn't that arsed
It's a meme. Horsechoker was befuddling you.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I ran into George Best once - but it's questionable whether you could call it a memorable meeting. I was with my older cousin (a long standing United fan) at a pub in London - and yeah, we did get to shake hands with the great man. But - well - he wasn't exactly sober and the whole thing was over in about thirty seconds.

Still - memorable enough for me, personally. But a bit sad all in all, given...well, you know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I also met Charlton once - but that wasn't really a "meeting" of the kind I suppose the OP has in mind, since it took place outside Highfield Road (Coventry) in connection with a United match (there were a few United fans hanging around one of the entrances, hours before kick-off - and Sir Bobby showed up in his car). He was great, though - said hello to everyone and came across as a true gent (as you'd expect).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not "that" memorable compared to some of these tales, but was superb for me.

England U21s were playing at Wycombe's ground a few miles from home back in 97 I think it was.

I was already impressed enough to see the likes of Carragher and Danny Murphy playing on my local team's pitch but the real excitement was in the main stand where we were sitting!!

I'd already clocked Lawrie Sanchez and Dennis Wise - the former who would go on to have a good spell managing us around 3-4 years later.
But then the big names started appearing.

My neighbour who'd driven me there was unbelievably casual about being in the same few rows as big names. I still remember him saying "There's Harry", expecting some oldie mate of his.

Only to look and it was Harry Redknapp and Frank Senior wandering in! They were in my actual row. I had to stand up to let the pair of them out and wouldn't do without getting their autographs :)

Then I clocked Bryan Robson and Viv Anderson in the row behind! Got Robbo's signature too after a slightly risky touch on the shoulder.

Just to complete things I risked missing my lift to get Murphy's autograph too as he left the pitch.
Superb night as a teen.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

:lol:

I have a selfie with Rooney, can’t really say I ‘met him’ though other than “cheers mate”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So I was having a look on the awesome photos thread and thought this would be a great reminiscent topic regarding stories from those that have been lucky to have met an ex-player/legend of our great club. Mine was around 4 years ago, I heard the legend that is Mr Eric Cantona was doing a talk in the Lowry in Manchester so as it was my birthday I went with my mum as Cantona was her favourite player in the 90s. I wore a 95 shirt and brought a sharpie with me to see if he would sign it for me. During the photoshoot I was literally in awe, especially how tall he was compared to myself :lol: so after the photo I pulled out my sharpie and asked if he would sign my shirt. I got lynched off security and was feeling very sheepish when Eric came over and told them to let me go and then took the sharpie and signed my shirt. Everyone in the shoot applauded. It literally was the moment that embodied the man for me, I took a long shot asking for him to sign my shirt as it was busy but he made the time and got me out of security's hands as they tried to move me on. And during the talk someone asking him to say his favourite saying which he did with a massive smile and aura around him. God that day is one of my favourite moments of meeting and ex United Legend (I have met a few) but that takes precedent for me. :devil:

What are your favourite stories when you have met an ex-player or legend of our great club?
The day he signed for us me and a friend went to the cliff to try and get his autograph, when we got there we were told he’d already left to go to the ground...so we got two busses from the Cliff to old Trafford....we wandered around and suddenly he was walking towards us from the offices. As we went to meet him a Granada TV crew and the insufferable Rob Mccaffrey pushed past us to interview him....In turn Eric pushed past them and said hello to us and signed our shirts, programmes and poster before returning for his interview....sheer class

heinze58

Supports
SETI
I had to dive out of the way of Robbo coming out of OT once. Drove like a maniac, but did give me a nice cheery wave on the way past haha!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Are you sure that was t a dream ?

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

One of the more believable versions of that story.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Many will fall for this. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Roy Keane and milky ways in the limousine

Lynty

Shared a motorway services urinal with Smalling about 8 years ago. I didn't look.

SirAF

Ageist
Not too many stories, but I’ve spoken to Solskjaer, Neville and Keane on the phone when MUTV did their weekly phone in show.

Also shaken hands with Silvestre, Mourinho and friendly patted Gary Pallister on the shoulder :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not too many stories, but I’ve spoken to Solskjaer, Neville and Keane on the phone when MUTV did their weekly phone in show.

Also shaken hands with Silvestre, Mourinho and friendly patted Gary Pallister on the shoulder :lol:
This wasn't you was it?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I was lucky enough to be a ballboy, waaaaaay back in the day, so met a lot of them. Steve Bruce and Lee Sharpe were the soundest players and Fergie seemed really nice. Denis Law is one of the most approachable 'legends' I've come across. Very down to earth.

RonaldoVII

Met Ole when he was coaching the reserves when they played Bolton away as their games are in Leyland where I'm from. Had it all planned and knew where he'd come out so managed to get a picture with him and it's one of my faves. Had shirt nad his testimonial programme signed too on another occasion. Met Fergie a couple of times but no real chance for conversation. Managed to get a pic with Scholesy a few years back at an away game when he was with BT Sport which was all about good timing and not bottling the chance!