Most Pedestrian CM in the League?

Devil may care

Of course it doesn't work, the lack of mobility is a huge issue and it's compounded by captain fridge and the fact our #10 loses the ball a lot so they get ran at a lot.

El Jefe

Pogba + anyone in a two man midfield is a joke. Matic should never be starting big games for us where he isn't protected by midfield runners. Awarding him a 3 year deal is just further proof of the mismanagement of this team.

Greck

Always thought it would be a shite combination but they've surprisingly been decent till now. It's just now that we want to push up having Pogba, Matic and Maguire within distance of each other is a combo that can only be described with yikes. Each of them already need to be partnered with mobile partners as they are AWFUL in open space

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Matic - can't run.

Pogba.- can't be arsed to run.

How is this our CM duo?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pogba should never play for the club again but Ole has no balls to stop playing him. We looked better when he was injured last season.

Irwin99

Only combination that's worked for Pogba here at United was the Matic, Herrera, Pogba trio. Ole has been trying to make him play a deeper role for about a year now. Evidently with no success.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Consisting of Scotty, Fred and Bruno who went on that fantastic run...whereby soon after Scotty and Fred were dropped just to integrate Pogba back who after a 1-6 defeat was seen laughing... sure as heck was a smart long term strategic decision..

(This is not a blame Pogba thread.. the point here is that the midfield consisting of Fred, Scott and Bruno were evolving together and that proces was stopped by dropping two of them).

Bring back the two of them in the team. Scott and Fred play with much more desire and energy

Last edited:

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Been saying this for ages, Ole doesn’t have the balls to drop Pogba. And now he doesn’t have the balls to drop the clearly off-form Rashford.

bondsname

I don't think Ole has a clue. He picks the players with the best FIFA ratings in his XI.

johanovic

And wonder why then when we press high that this midfield is lacking legs to cover the ground when defending...add to that Harry WouldbeBeckenbauer who´s easily the most overrated defender I´ve seen in a long time...play 3 lumberjacks like that in the same team and what happens?...the other teams run ring around us

Ballache

Supports
Martial
so we have a shit defense, midfield and a disjointed attack.
At what point do we blame the manager.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Been saying this for ages, Ole doesn’t have the balls to drop Pogba. And now he doesn’t have the balls to drop the clearly off-form Rashford.
Or Maguire

el3mel

I was recently searching my liked videos on YouTube and found this video 3 years ago :

Can't believe I was this deluded back then to like such things. Feck me.

Video was deleted though due to copyrights.

AneRu

And wonder why then when we press high that this midfield is lacking legs to cover the ground when defending...add to that Harry WouldbeBeckenbauer who´s easily the most overrated defender I´ve seen in a long time...play 3 lumberjacks like that in the same team and what happens?...the other teams run ring around us
Myself, @devilmaycare and a few others saw this coming a long time ago. You can't have three slow players like that making up your team's central spine.

OT1214

Give Fred an extended run in the team. He was good last season when he played every week. Pogba has never been consistent with his form in a United shirt. VdB should get the nod in upcoming games. Can’t be worse than that display today.

::sonny::

Pogba had coronavirus nobody will know how will be his conditions for the future

Trex

First and foremost midfield play is about the basic things, Scholes,Xavi,Kroos,Modric,Thiago are not moment players they are experts at the basics,positioning, pass selection, discipline,selflessness,intelligence,concentration,work rate,close to perfect decision making,they always stay in the game,either offensively or defensively, I wonder why Pogba plays central midfield he doesn't have the discipline or nor the level of decision making on the ball,nor would you describe him as selfless,This is why we keep struggling to balance the team around him,for all his talent that would never work out

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well the managers we hire aren't interested in pressing so what do we expect?

Trex

Ole should go with Fernandes,Fred and VDS that trio would give him dynamism both on and off the ball

Smores

I'd love for one of the staunch Ole in campers to explain why the midfield is fine and why the setup isn't as bad as we all think.

MattofManchester

Pogba isn't the reason we shipped 6 goals and shouldn't be the core issue here.
An issue after in which he should be sold, yes, but there are other factors that need to be addressed first.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Fred should start

Donny should start

Bruno should start

Pogba can feck off

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sell pogba and bring Partey. Partey-Vdb-Bruno would be mint

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I’m sorry but when are we going to be allowed on here to state that Pogba is just crap without an angry mob defending him without a leg to stand on? He’s shown talent at United but feck me. He cannot do the simple things. He’s thick as feck. Matic is slow as feck.
I can't wait till he leaves. I have praised him on few occasions he has been good and backed against the shit media throws at him but he is definition of a luxury player. Trigger the extension in his contract and sell him next summer bfor whatever 70-80 we get and buy a proper player for that role.

Dante

Average bang
Fred and McTominay is a proper double pivot in the truest sense of the term. They each take turns pressing and shielding. And at least they make us hard to play against, whilst forcing a battle to win the midfield.

Matic and Pogba are a flat midfield two. Matic gets asked to do all the dirty work, Pogba is relied upon to provide the creativity. The problem is that both have severe weaknesses for their roles (mobility, press resistance, consistency, pass selection, etc). Unfortunately, they're also a piece of piss for the opposition to pick the ball off, and you could drive a bus through the gaps they leave between them.

At the end of the day, you can't just replace the former with the latter and expect a like-for-like system. It's the equivalent of swapping low grade diesel for high octane petrol in your car. One might be better than the other on paper. But your engine can only run on one of them.

The double pivot of Fred and McTominay is the reason we had any success post-Bruno. It the pairing we need to go back to. We were doomed the moment Pogba regained fitness, despite him obviously be more talented than the rest.

So although United may not be perfect when Fred and McTominay play, you can actually measure their solidity by the relatively small number chances they let through the middle. Just watch them and compare to the alternative.

We only have two options to avoid a complete disaster for the rest of the season imo.

a. 5-3-2 (okay, it's not Fred and McTominay, but it does pack central midfield and central defence to give the same benefit)

Rashford-------Martial

Pogba--VdB--Bruno

Telles------------------------Williams
Shaw--Maguire--Bailly*

DDG

*maybe McTominay/AWB for Bailly

b. 4-2-2-2

Rashford--Martial

Pogba---------------Bruno

Fred---McTominay

Telles------------------------------Williams
Maguire--Bailly

DDG​

Last edited:

Falcow

Pogba and Matic are at fault for this performance.For this,Brighton and Crystal Palace.Same midfield,same problems.Immobile,awfully slow in build up,no intensity at all.
This is so accurate. It was clearly obvious that spurs just tore through midfield like it wasnt there (probably cos it actually wasn't). This season is what really worries me about Ole, that he doesnt see this as a problem.

Southampton did it at end of last season, CP, Brighton and now Spurs have all realised that if you go for it against our midfield, they will collapse.

This midfield looks ok against teams who sit back and allow us to have the ball but when pressed, we are completely over run and fragile as eggs.

Get Fred back in there asap as a start.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When i first glanced at this thread title I thought it said Morten Pedersen... Was thinking that I know things are bad, but I don't think that's the answer.