Most ridiculous sendings off in football...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nani against Real immediately springs to mind. Will never forget that one, or the ref responsible.

RvP in the Nou Camp for Arsenal. Ridiculous red for me, robbed Arsenal.

Kieran Gibbs for Arsenal against Chelsea. Infamous one, mistaken identity.

Any more?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The most outrageous one I ever saw concerned my boys Wycombe, away to QPR in 2001.

Basically there was a 22 man brawl, with all bar 1 keeper and our striker McSporran getting involved.

Senda, our winger/right back of the time had been the one who raised his hands, but the ref was clearly a "those 2 mixed race guys look the same" borderline sinister guy, so got them mixed up.

He sent McSporran off (miles from the incident), and then realised he'd got the wrong man.

What any other ref would have done would have been either get the wrong guy back, or just leave it as it is, as a "genuine" mistake.

Instead, the absolute twat sent Senda off, double punishing us, and leaving us down to 9 away at QPR! Almost caused a riot, and we managed a very creditable 4-3 loss out of it.

Oddly, despite the below being our local paper, they totally ignore the massive turning point of the game in the below! Bizarre.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sp...d-to-nine-men-at-loftus-road-qpr-4-wycombe-3/

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Didn't Gibbs get sent off for Arsenal when AOC played improptu goalkeeper a few years ago? One of those "mixed race mistaken identity" things?

Gazza

Loved it when Javier Mascherano was second yellow'ed for mouthing off at the referee, for Liverpool against United at Old Trafford. Even Liverpool's players had their heads in their hands at Mascherano's stupidity. The funniest part was that he was complaining when Liverpool had actually just been given a free-kick. :lol:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That one Markovic got when playing for Liverpool when he had his finger slight brush a guys face?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Club Brugge two days ago. It was a correct sending off but the scenario was one of a kind.

Diatta levels the match 1-1 in the 92nd minuted away at Galatasaray. He celebrates by taking off his shirt. However Mata (there's another player called that) karate kicked the corner flag in the celebration and got his 2nd yellow as well so Club Brugge leveled but went down to 9 men at the same time.

RUCK4444

In all the time I've watched football I have never been so outraged and filled with absolute rage as I did with the Nani sending off against Real.

I still haven't properly accepted it and moved on.

i honestly believe that I would not be able to control myself if I were to randomly bump into that Turkish ref.

Whenever he's reffing a game I cannot help shouting at the TV like a mad man. No Joke.

I hate that midget feck more than anybody in world football.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Seen a keeper in germany i believe who got sent off when he conceded and went to punch the air in anger. He ended up punching the goalscorer in the balls as he turned to celebrate.

Tarrou

the Rooney one in a pre-season friendly was ridiculous

suspended for the start of the season for it too!

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
One could make a whole compilation of ridiculous red cards against PSG.
Here for example a referee running into Thiago Silva to give him a red card:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Rudi Voller against The Netherlands in the 1990 WC.
Feck yes. What a disgrace that was.

I am also still pissed about Vidal being sent off in the CL semi for Bayern against Real when he played the ball.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Saw a ref send someone off for pointing to the name on the back of his shirt once, mistaking it for a 'wanker' gesture.

No idea who it was, but it was on telly. Think it was in the Conference, but it could have been EFL Trophy. Definitely lower league teams.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Morata got a yellow for diving, moaned at the decision and got a second yellow for moaning. Can't remember ever seeing that before or since, despite players always doing it.

Also Hazard kicking Swansea's timewasting ballboy was amazing and worth the red card.

Al-T

David 'It's all about me, me, me' Ellery sending off Dennis Irwin v Liverpool in 1999.

Still boils my pish.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
In all the time I've watched football I have never been so outraged and filled with absolute rage as I did with the Nani sending off against Real.

I still haven't properly accepted it and moved on.

i honestly believe that I would not be able to control myself if I were to randomly bump into that Turkish ref.

Whenever he's reffing a game I cannot help shouting at the TV like a mad man. No Joke.

I hate that midget feck more than anybody in world football.
I think the problem lies with you here to be honest

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Still fume about Mata getting sent off at West Brom really early in the game for two bootable offences......Nobody gets sent off for the only two fouls they do. Literally never happens. You can look at each individually and say booking but with context referees never do that especially in the first half of games

Nickelodeon

Herrera against Chelsea where he got sent off for only two fouls neither of them were any sinister. The team was collectively fouling Hazard and the referee was lenient to every player and avoided giving a booking but gave Herrera two for both very soft fouls. Ridiculous indeed!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Favourite one for me was the Cameroon guy nailing Cannigia in the opening game of the World Cup.

And going off like a hero.

Fantastic.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Nah he ruined our CL campaign that year. I believe we would have won it if it weren't for that call, killed the game for us. Doesn't get much worse really does it?

Hate the guy, always will.
Dude. He's a football referee that made a bad decision. Any negative repercussion of that decision happened a long time ago and isn't affecting anyone at all right now. Move on. It doesn't matter.

Mike Smalling

One of the more stupid ones I can remember, would be Mascherano talking himself into a second yellow at Old Trafford back in the 07/08 season. As I remember he actually ran across half the pitch to complain after the referee had just given the yellow card to Torres for complaining :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Thiago Silva and Voller are the standouts from the suggestions so far. Some of the others I might disagree with the referee's decision but I can see the rationale for it, but these two both played fairly helpless and innocent roles in their sending offs. Voller is just a classic higher-stakes case of a melee followed by two token yellow cards, which basically translates as the ref saying 'I don't know what the feck went on, but this pretends I'm even-handed and in control of the situation'. Except it was the biggest game of the World Cup and he knew Rijkaard had to go.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bryan Melisse for Dudelange
Brazil had a midfielder a few years ago who always used to follow through like this when he cleared the ball. Felipe Melo, was at Fiorentina. Always cleared the ball and made sure his foot kept going up until near head height!

freeurmind

weak willed
There was a guy who was being substituted and then removed his shirt as he was leaving the pitch. Ref promptly gives him a second yellow and sends him off.