Most ridiculous sendings off in football...

jackal&hyde

Nani against Real immediately springs to mind. Will never forget that one, or the ref responsible.

RvP in the Nou Camp for Arsenal. Ridiculous red for me, robbed Arsenal.

Kieran Gibbs for Arsenal against Chelsea. Infamous one, mistaken identity.

Any more?
That one still hurts a lot for me. We were looking fantastic and i could see us adding another CL trophy.. ahhh why did you remind me of that

Eric's Seagull

Brazil had a midfielder a few years ago who always used to follow through like this when he cleared the ball. Felipe Melo, was at Fiorentina. Always cleared the ball and made sure his foot kept going up until near head height!
Don't know much about Felipe Melo. Will take a look at him.

RUCK4444

Dude. He's a football referee that made a bad decision. Any negative repercussion of that decision happened a long time ago and isn't affecting anyone at all right now. Move on. It doesn't matter.
Sorry bro, usually I would definitely agree with you. Cannot let it slide, most people who know me are aware of my very specific rage towards him. :mad:

Comet49

David 'It's all about me, me, me' Ellery sending off Dennis Irwin v Liverpool in 1999.

Still boils my pish.
Was that the one when he got a second booking for knocking the ball away a few yards? I think Liverpool went on to win 2-1

EireRed_GS

The Nani one vs Madrid will always annoy me.

Didn't Canniggia get sent off when sitting on the bench once :lol:

svn

Was that the one when he got a second booking for knocking the ball away a few yards? I think Liverpool went on to win 2-1
He was sent off for trying to keep the ball in, basically. We ended up drawing 2-2.

el3mel

Was going to say RVP against Barca but found it in the op. That was ridiculous.

RedDevilRoshi

The Nani one against Real Madrid in 2013 sticks out for me. :mad:

I was absolutely livid when that got shown! Changed the whole complexion of that match as were certainly on course to go through before that awful red card decision!

Ed9

One could make a whole compilation of ridiculous red cards against PSG.
Here for example a referee running into Thiago Silva to give him a red card:
That's hilarious!

Al-T

Game finished 2-2. Irwin tried to keep the ball in play. Never a booking and he missed the FA Cup Final as a result.

Sir Alex was incandescent afterwards. If he could have taken hold of Ellery's arse cheeks and pulled them up over his head, I'm sure he would have!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nani against Real immediately springs to mind. Will never forget that one, or the ref responsible.

Any more?
This will always be the worst for me - never a red and made worse by the fact that the ref absolutely loved getting that red out - he dragged it out made a proper performance out of it, as if it was some sort of magic trick... wanker.

David 'It's all about me, me, me' Ellery sending off Dennis Irwin v Liverpool in 1999.

Still boils my pish.
This does run it close though - another ref going all "look at me"

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
"He's off again." :lol:

Had to check him out after that.

• In a professional career spanning 19 years from 1992 to 2011, Muscat received 123 yellow cards and 12 red cards.
  • In December 2013, the Spanish football website El Gol Digital named Muscat as football's dirtiest ever player.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Byron Moreno at South Korea 2002 with sending off Totti in Italy - South Korea ( :lol: :lol: ) and officiating so blatantly baaad that he was forced to confess a few years later, after being arrested, becoming a minor TV star in Italy.:drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Byron Moreno at South Korea 2002 with sending off Totti in Italy - South Korea ( :lol: :lol: ) and officiating so blatantly baaad that he was forced to confess a few years later, after being arrested, becoming a minor TV star in Italy.:drool:
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn’t Totti sent off for spitting in someone’s face in the opening game? Or have I got the wrong tournament?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
the Rooney one in a pre-season friendly was ridiculous

suspended for the start of the season for it too!
Didn't they change the rules after a Liverpool player got a pre season red?

paulscholes18

Yeah but come on, surely that's a genuine attempt to score, having not heard the whistle.
Not for me, he’s left footed he had more than enough time to get it on to his left and get a shot away. For me it was a kick out of frustration, let’s be honest it was not even close to getting on target

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Still boils my pish.
That was super harsh, as he'd literally tapped it a few yards back in the right direction, and was hardly the classic booting ball away job.
Didn't he miss a key game because of it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A couple of other Wycombe ones.
Anthony Grant (ex Chelsea) shooting about 1/1000th of a second after a whistle, even though he was in motion, to get a second yellow.

And Jason Cousins "challenge" v Doncaster in 93. One of my first ever games.
Basically the worst challenge in the history of football that didn't do any damage!

A 20 yard sprinting long jump two footer!!

Amazingly it was a second yellow job!

He'd been sent off the week before for a really harsh one, handling it about 50 yards from goal without a man in sight from them!

Al-T

That was super harsh, as he'd literally tapped it a few yards back in the right direction, and was hardly the classic booting ball away job.
Didn't he miss a key game because of it?
Yes, he missed the FA Cup Final v Newcastle. You could tell afterwards how Sir Alex was truly gutted for him and furious at the injustice.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn’t Totti sent off for spitting in someone’s face in the opening game? Or have I got the wrong tournament?
It was Euro 2004 with another Italian trainwreck in the form of the Scandinavian 2-2 “biscotto” (biscuit) agreed by Sweden and Denmark to send them both through at our expense. Then WC2006 made footballing justice for good.:D

Eric's Seagull

"He's off again." :lol:

Had to check him out after that.

• In a professional career spanning 19 years from 1992 to 2011, Muscat received 123 yellow cards and 12 red cards.
  • In December 2013, the Spanish football website El Gol Digital named Muscat as football's dirtiest ever player.
:lol:That is a crazy amount if cards. Looks a bit of a nut case .