MOTD 2022/2023

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Regardless of how you feel about the politics behind the situation, I personally believe this is going to be an early nail in the coffin for MOTD as a highlights show. Anybody below 40 years old knows they can go to YouTube or Twitter for every goal and 3 minute highlight packages are going to be up within an hour of the game finishing. I remember as far back as 2005, that people were posting GIFs of goals as they went in on football forums.

So what’s the point of it if it’s already out there? If it’s punditry you’re in it for then there’s so many mediums for that now. Journalists are providing insight via Twitter. Pundits post opinions via social media. There’s fan channels who know a lot more about their clubs than your average TV pundit might, especially the smaller teams where your average TV pundit is a deer in the headlights. You think Ian Wright and Alan Shearer know the intricacies of a team like Crystal Palace as opposed to one of the big teams like United, Liverpool or Arsenal who are always in the spotlight?
In terms of sheer popularity you're right but MotD still serves a function as it's enjoyable to watch with other people. A social experience if you will. I'd like to see it stick around if just for that.

Regardless of how you feel about the politics behind the situation, I personally believe this is going to be an early nail in the coffin for MOTD as a highlights show. Anybody below 40 years old knows they can go to YouTube or Twitter for every goal and 3 minute highlight packages are going to be up within an hour of the game finishing. I remember as far back as 2005, that people were posting GIFs of goals as they went in on football forums.

So what’s the point of it if it’s already out there? If it’s punditry you’re in it for then there’s so many mediums for that now. Journalists are providing insight via Twitter. Pundits post opinions via social media. There’s fan channels who know a lot more about their clubs than your average TV pundit might, especially the smaller teams where your average TV pundit is a deer in the headlights. You think Ian Wright and Alan Shearer know the intricacies of a team like Crystal Palace as opposed to one of the big teams like United, Liverpool or Arsenal who are always in the spotlight?
You think any of us want to watch a Palace fans TV show?

You think 3 minutes highlights is enough?

MOTD is still a good football show, I enjoy it much more than catching United’s highlights online and I suspect most people wouldn’t bother searching twitter or youtube to watch highlights of Everton v Brentford.
If MOTD went, I’d barely see another none United game goal.

Sounds like the tiktok generation can’t concentrate for more than 3 minutes and prefer to spend time on their tiny little phone screens rather than sitting in front of the box for an hour watching the days football.

Chairman Steve

A decent game merits more than 3 minutes of highlights. Until Youtube can match MOTD there it's still pretty handy to me.
You think 3 minutes highlights is enough?
Thats the only thing that annoys me about Premier League highlights. The strange 3 minute hard cap they have on highlights, especially when looking at BT’s YouTube page, UEFA competition highlights range from 6-10 minutes on average, and sometimes they go over if there’s a lot of goals like that City 4-3 Real game last season.

Even a 6 minute highlight package of a game would be great. I don’t think I’ve sat down and watched MOTD since 2010 and based on that, I would guess 6 minutes of actual footage is what they dedicate to a relatively high profile match.

Chief123

I’m surprised at the negativity towards the show. I still think it’s a brilliant show to end a Saturday night. Even better it’s on iplayer.

As much as the punditry might not always be the best, it’s always great to watch how other teams got on as well as watching your own team again without the anxiety and tension of live Footy. Yes you can see the goals online now anyway, but it’s not the same as watching a “highlights” program which is more than just the goals.

The best ones are when Utd have won a big game combined with rivals all losing. It’s a joy to watch.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
MOTD is an institution. If United has a good weekend, it’s the confirmation, the icing on the cake, the ultimate end of the day gloat. Great too, for catching up if you miss a game. Lineker is human, he’s passionate and smart and the theme music stirs the soul.

Lineker is a cnut and I'm happy to see him suspended - even if it's for a bullshit reason. Feck him.
I was in the Stretty for his last ever goal in England, I was 12, never heard before or since the name of an opposition player with no connection to the club sung like that. We even cheered him scoring ffs.
Absolute legend, seems anything but a cnut in fairness.

scottser

Lineker is a cnut and I'm happy to see him suspended - even if it's for a bullshit reason. Feck him.
No, the tories are cnuts and Lineker is bang on in calling them out on their language towards migrants and refugees.

Superunknown

I'm impressed at just how badly the BBC have handled this. Looking at the schedule tonight and seeing MOTD only being 20 minutes is just...fecking pathetic. I'm glad that the staff have taken a united stance on this one. It's fecking embarrassing that one tweet has received more criticism than the actual government policy, which is just appalling. Our country has sunk really low and it's so fecking depressing.

AndySmith1990

Out of all the vile and despicable people in the world who you could insult, you choose to have a go at a perfectly decent bloke like Linekar. The mind boggles

Alex B

Out of all the vile and despicable people in the world who you could insult, you choose to have a go at a perfectly decent bloke like Linekar. The mind boggles
Good bloke but he is an ABU which I assume is the basis of some of the opinions here.

hp88

They should have binned it off for tonight, better highlights available for free on Sky Sports youtube channel.

Zoo

Prime time Saturday night on BBC 1. Shambles. Should have just binned it off totally.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This is very weird.

Superunknown

All the production staff refused to do it, so this is all they can do instead
Magnificent. :lol:

This is so, so weird. It's actually not fun to watch at all. Even more disappointing than I thought it would be.

Chairman Steve

I’m watching this and I’m also in the camp of thinking it’s weird yet improved :lol:

Sky should have put PL highlights with analysis on one of their Showcase channels for free just to stick it to BBC

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm enjoying the commentary. It's my Dad ranting on about how the BBC have been taken over by commies.