MotD: Top 10 goalscorers of Premier League era

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Andy Cole, Andy Cole, Andy, Andy Cole, He gets the ball and scores a goal, Andy, Andy Cole. What a goal, What a goal, By Andy Cole, He gets the ball and scored a goal, Andy, Andy Cole.

Obviously his glory days were at at United, but I was very happy with his contribution during his 2 and a half seasons with us as well, including scoring some important goals to help us with the League Cup in 2002 (getting one over Hoddle no less) and move from relegation danger to a comfortable top 10 finish in that season. Plus he helped give confidence to players around him. Before we signed him, we were creating plenty of chances and dominating a load of games, but were incredibly wasteful. Unlike Yorke who often couldn't be bothered to run when he played for us, Cole was a model professional, and it was a big shame that Souness fell out with him and we sold him during the summer of 2004 (not long before Souness left us for Newcastle). .

And of course his record of 55 league goals in 70 appearances for Newcastle was also outstanding. I think he even chipped in with a decent haul during his season at Fulham, again scoring some important goals to help steer them away from relegation danger.

DCP

Shearer #1.

Then no specific order between Henry, Aguero, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Andrew Cole.

thepolice123

Bizarre to have Rooney in top 3. He never won the topscorer award and only has two seasons where he scored more than 20 goals in the league. Someone like Kane has got 4 seasons of 20+ goals and won the golden boot twice.

Top 3 easily are: Shearer, Henry, Aguero

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just got around to listening to this... the top 10 is about right, the fact that originally Cole wasn't in there is ridiculous though... he really is a criminally underrated footballer.

Andy Cole, Andy Cole, Andy, Andy Cole, He gets the ball and scores a goal, Andy, Andy Cole. What a goal, What a goal, By Andy Cole, He gets the ball and scored a goal, Andy, Andy Cole.

Obviously his glory days were at at United, but I was very happy with his contribution during his 2 and a half seasons with us as well, including scoring some important goals to help us with the League Cup in 2002 (getting one over Hoddle no less) and move from relegation danger to a comfortable top 10 finish in that season. Plus he helped give confidence to players around him. Before we signed him, we were creating plenty of chances and dominating a load of games, but were incredibly wasteful. Unlike Yorke who often couldn't be bothered to run when he played for us, Cole was a model professional, and it was a big shame that Souness fell out with him and we sold him during the summer of 2004 (not long before Souness left us for Newcastle). .

And of course his record of 55 league goals in 70 appearances for Newcastle was also outstanding. I think he even chipped in with a decent haul during his season at Fulham, again scoring some important goals to help steer them away from relegation danger.
I had a mate who supported Blackburn who was really surprised by how good a all-round footballer Cole was when he went to Blackburn (he was under the impression that he was just a finisher)

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I had a mate who supported Blackburn who was really surprised by how good a all-round footballer Cole was when he went to Blackburn (he was under the impression that he was just a finisher)
Yes his skill on the ball and link up play were excellent as well. His contribution during his career went far beyond goals and important goals.

He really gave our whole club a big lift when he came in, and made a pretty immediate impact. Plus he won a trophy with us and played in Europe, so he wasn't there to count down the days until retirement or anything.

I really liked the Cole-Matt Jansen strike partnership during the 2001/2002 season, with the likes of Duff, Tugay and a young David Dunn (a big talent at the time although unfortunately he liked his pints and kebabs too much), providing them with excellent service. It was a shame that Jansen's motorcycle accident during the summer of 2002 prevented that partnership from continuing for longer, and he was never the same player and didn't have the same confidence when he came back. I didn't like the resurrected Cole-Yorke partnership with us as much, because of Yorke's frustrating laziness.