MotD: Top 10 goalscorers of Premier League era

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000h5kh/match-of-the-day-top-10-podcast-2-goalscorers

The list they got to choose from:

Aguero
Cole
Drogba
Henry
Kane
Ronaldo
Rooney
Shearer
Suarez
Van Nistelrooy

Shearer's:

1. Shearer
2. Aguero
3. Henry
4. Rooney
5. Van Nistelrooy
6. Drogba
7. Ronaldo
8. Suarez
9. Kane
10. Cole

Wright's:

1. Shearer
2. Henry
3. Aguero
4. Rooney
5. Van Nistelrooy
6. Suarez
7. Ronaldo
8. Kane
9. Drogba
10. Cole

Lineker's:

1. Henry
2. Shearer
3. Aguero

One off game:

Wright:

Shearer & Henry

Lineker:

Ronaldo & Henry/Shearer

Would want as ideal partner:

Shearer: Rooney

Wright: Henry

Lineker: Henry

What would be your top 10 from that list?

Further, opening up the field and inclusive of obvious exclusions (such as Wright, Fowler, Owen Cantona, Lampard - if you're going to add Rooney - and so forth), what would your full top 10 look like?

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'll need to think a bit more about an overall list, but as a Blackburn fan I'm of course well aware of Shearer scoring 112 league goals in 138 appearances for us, including 96 in 3 seasons from 1993-1996. He was an absolute monster back then.

Renegade

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000h5kh/match-of-the-day-top-10-podcast-2-goalscorers

The list they got to choose from:

Aguero
Cole
Drogba
Henry
Kane
Ronaldo
Rooney
Shearer
Suarez
Van Nistelrooy

What would be your top 10 from that list?

Further, opening up the field and inclusive of obvious exclusions (such as Wright, Fowler, Owen Cantona - if you're going to add Rooney - and so forth), what would your full top 10 look like?
Is it strikers or goalscorers because I don’t remember Ronaldo ever playing as a striker in the league?
Ronaldo had that 07/08 but his other seasons weren’t that amazing to be on a top 10 list.

AaronRedDevil

my list would be this.
  1. Shearer
  2. Rooney
  3. Henry
  4. Ronaldo
  5. Aguero
  6. Drogba
  7. Suarez
  8. Kane
  9. Van Nistelrooy
  10. Cole

OleBoiii

Henry is my winner. Ronaldo was the better player overall, though.

So many good goalscorers on that list. There's no "correct" order among the top 5-6, imo.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Shearer
Henry
Ronaldo
Aguero
Van Nistelrooy
Rooney
Suarez
Drogba
Cole
Kane

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Surely Van Persie has to make that list over Suarez, he was a sublime goalscorer once he started playing as the lone striker.

diarm

1.Shearer
2.Henry
3.Aguero
4.Van Nistelrooy
5.Rooney
6.Suarez
7.Ronaldo
8.Drogba
9.Kane
10.Cole

Last edited:

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I'm not having Rooney as a better goalscorer than van Nistelrooy. Better player? Sure. But van Nistelrooy lived for goals in a way that Rooney never did. I'm not sure Ronaldo or Suarez to a lesser extent should be high in lists either. Great goalscorers when they left the league but both only had 2 great seasons in England.

diarm

I'm not having Rooney as a better goalscorer than van Nistelrooy. Better player? Sure. But van Nistelrooy lived for goals in a way that Rooney never did. I'm not sure Ronaldo or Suarez to a lesser extent should be high in lists either. Great goalscorers when they left the league but both only had 2 great seasons in England.
Yeah that's fair enough. I'm swapping them in mine as it's a list of goalscorers.

Deery

Dreary
I tend to agree with you but Rooney is United’s and England’s top goal scorer hard to leave him from the top.

Renegade

Not sure about the Drogba and Ronaldo shouts. Both had maybe 2 fantastic goalscoring seasons in the premier league.

Drogba was fantastic but Lampard was the better and consistent goalscorer.

Deery

Dreary
Not sure about the Drogba and Ronaldo shouts. Both had maybe 2 fantastic goalscoring seasons in the premier league.

Drogba was fantastic but Lampard was the better and consistent goalscorer.
Ronaldo scored something like 46 goals in them two seasons, but.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure how you can choose anyone but Shearer when he's literally the top goalscorer. Striker is a different matter.

Even more impressive considering he was at a club for most of his career that was generally between 15th and 4th. His record at Blackburn when they were a top side shows how unbelievable he could have been at the very best clubs.

Last edited:

Bobski

Drogba was a great player, there are a lot of all time teams he would be an ideal foil for the creators behind him in, but goalscorer? He only had 2 seasons in England, out of 8, in which he scored more than 16 goals all competitons. 33 and 37 in those 2, so he could put up big numbers but scoring was not the main strength of his game.

Josh 76

Watching this made me realise that the BBC have the most boring pundits.

AFC NimbleThumb

Andy Cole 10th!?

Yes I’m biased he’s my favourite United player but I have watched his Premier League 100 Club countless times & even towards the end he was scoring goals of every type.

The league has been blessed with some absolute ballers but if this is a list of the top ‘Premier League’ goalscorers it’s a f*cking shambles to not have him placed higher.

Also Liniker is a write off. Shearer not being 1st is an automatic red card offence.

arnie_ni

I wouldn’t have Cole at the bottom. He was a machine. Never on penalties and won multiple titles.
When you adjust for pens cole has the best goals per game ratio of that era i think. Read it one other time

DRM

Surprised van persie isn;t on that list.

Shearer is close but for me it has to be Henry at the top! He was just devastating during the early 2000's

Renegade

He won the Ballon d’or at United, was comfortably the best player on the planet along with pretty much every trophy on offer.
Never denied that. What’s that got to do with him being one of the best goalscorers in Premiership history though?
Owen won Ballon d’or at Liverpool and don’t see him on any lists.
My reasoning is pretty clear I feel like he only had one standout “Goal scoring” season for us regardless of what he won individually or with the team.
If this was a list of best ever players then yeah it’s a different argument.

caid

Seriously though, watching old games Cole was outstanding. Yorkes form dropped a fair bit after 99 but Cole was still playing stupidly well for a couple more seasons.

GenZRed

Imagine a front three of Rooney, Henry and Ronaldo, with Rooney being the number and the other two as inside forwards. Immense.