MOTD: Top 10 PL Goalkeepers

NICanRed

It seems that VDS is on most lists without a lot of discussion. The very fact that there is no argument confirms the fact that he definitely deserves his place here.

diarm

1 Schmeichel
2 Van der Sar
3 Cech
4 De Gea
5 Seaman
6 Lloris
7 Lehman
8 Given
9 Reina
10 Courtois

Dante

Average bang
Alisson and Ederson, they have been here for what, two seasons? I bet they didn't make 100 saves total, how the feck can they even put them on the list? :lol:

Also Given is just laughable, probably James too, obvious English bias.
Did you watch the video? All of them take a dump on Given and James, but give props for their longevity.

And everyone of them tears into Pickford.

The only English bias here is coming from you.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In terms of errors, even after all this, I don't think de Gea's list is that long. Most keepers, even VdS who was amazingly reliable, make one or two bad ones every season. His problems are trophies and being less complete than the other obvious names (Schmeichel, VdS, Cech).

AKDevil

Schmeichel, Valdez, Neuer, there have been many attacking goalkeepers before these two. Can’t see what they are pioneering.
As for Wright, Shearer and De Gea ... someone probably warned them about recency bias, but daft as they are they thought it was a criterion.
Not about just being attacking goalkeepers. It’s about ones who, when you look at a time of the history of the position, their careers will be points where you think ‘the position/expectation of a goalkeeper changed’ or they define it in some way because of their distinctive style. Schmeichel, Neuer (as overrated as he is) and Ederson in particular, all tick that box imo. Ederson is basically an outfield player who can also play in goal. Never seen anyone with his long kicking ability and accuracy. Neuer was OTT and a risk taker. Schmeichel was proactive too but I’m his own way.

Nickelodeon

I wouldn't even give Ederson the recency bias angle. I find it extremely convenient that people point out towards De Gea's errors while totally ignoring Ederson's. Just in our last PL game were there two errors from him, additionally he has been sent off a couple of times (this season against Wolves) due to his rash attitude while I also remember Salah scoring a similar goal to McTominay when Ederson just gave the ball away.

It's like these "pundits" just buy into hype and do not analyze anything. Having either Ederson or Allison (who btw has his share of errors) over De Gea is shameful and to be honest completely unprofessional and unacceptable from people who's job is to provide informed opinions.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I wouldn't even give Ederson the recency bias angle. I find it extremely convenient that people point out towards De Gea's errors while totally ignoring Ederson's. Just in our last PL game were there two errors from him, additionally he has been sent off a couple of times (this season against Wolves) due to his rash attitude while I also remember Salah scoring a similar goal to McTominay when Ederson just gave the ball away.

It's like these "pundits" just buy into hype and do not analyze anything. Having either Ederson or Allison (who btw has his share of errors) over De Gea is shameful and to be honest completely unprofessional and unacceptable from people who's job is to provide informed opinions.
The problem for De Gea over Ederson or any other current PL keeper, is he's coming down from a phenomenal high where he was being compared to the best of the best to do it in the PL. That's his marker and the burden held against him, which is unfortunate as he's judged by that standard and not to those active making similar errors.

Ederson has no such issue, and it is unfair on De Gea that he's been marked by a different standard to his peers by Shearer and Wright.

Jonno

I still find it baffling that Allison is in some peoples top 5 goalkeepers in almost 30 years of premier League history.

He's been good for Liverpool. But not exactly the most busy goalkeepers, and I've seen a lot of mistakes in him. He got sent off earlier this season for poorly coming out of his box, he was awful against Watford and helped throw the game. Poor in other games where he invites pressure on the defence, he's shipped quite a few goals. He's yet to win anything in English football. I think people have looked at him, his transfer fee, the timing of Liverpool playing the best football in the last 30 years and presuming Allison is key to that. I really don't think he is. Their front 3, VVD and their wingbacks are the key to their success. Allison has been decent, but not without mistakes. Top 5 in PL history?

It may be controversial considering the fact that his reputation is at an all-time low, but based solely on PL, De Gea should be at least in top-3. I’d say, 1. Schmeichel 2. Cech 3. De Gea

The main (and thoroughly deserved) criticism of De Gea comes from his relatively poor international career, which shouldn’t count here.

Alisson and Ederson ahead of De Gea :lol:
People seem to have forgotten just how bloody good he was a couple of years ago.

1. Schmeichel - undisputed
2. Cech - he was the closest to Schmeichel in his early days
3. De Gea - around 2014-2016 he could save anything
4. Van Der Sar - did everything Schmeichel did, just not quite as welll
5. Seaman - can't help but picture that bewildered look he always had when he made mistakes

The rest are debatable. Ederson and Allison have a claim but so do the likes of Lehmann, Reina, Hart and Martyn.

Eurotrash

Schmeichel for me.

For shot-stopping, there are a few who could rival and perhaps even better Schmeichel. What made Schmeichel special was how much he was involved in the overall play. Many counter-attacking goals started with one of his trademark throws.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
1 - Peter Schmeichel: even on his veteran years, he still manage to make an impact on Sporting here at PT. His anticipation was top notch.
2 - Petr Cech: before surgery he was amazing. Lacked outfield skills, but that was mainly due to lack of grass roots training, but excelled in everything else.
3 - Van der Sar: his 1-on-1s are still a benchmark for me.
4 - David Seaman: he had his poor moments as every keeper, but I think he was a very well rounded keeper.
5 - Shay Given: saw him do saves that few keepers could do.
6 - Brad Friedel: solid keeper who kept Blackburn alive for plenty of games.
7 - Nigel Martyn: did a very good job at Leeds and kept himself solid for season,
8 - Courtouis: basically won tons of games for Chelsea.
9 - Lehmann: IMHO Arsenal finding a hard time to get a keeper as good as peak Lehmann was a blow for them.
10 - Mark Schwarzer: the guy was almost always in the saves of the week compilations fomr his time at Boro. A very feline goalkeeper

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Schmeichel for me.

For shot-stopping, there are a few who could rival and perhaps even better Schmeichel. What made Schmeichel special was how much he was involved in the overall play. Many counter-attacking goals started with one of his trademark throws.
His long throws with bare arms were so fast and accurate :drool:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Schmeichel seems to be #1 without much discussion, but I’d even argue he isn’t even our best goalie of the PL era. VDS and DDG could both make a decent claim for that.
Van Der Sar barely made any mistakes (Schmeichel made a lot) and De Gea has won a ridiculous amount of POTY awards.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I agree with an earlier post that Friedel was far better than James. Certainly during his time with us, he was one of the best goalkeepers in the league, and in 2002/2003 I thought he was unquestionably the best Premier League goalkeeper that season bar none (he kept 15 clean sheets, and deservedly won our player of the season award even ahead of players like Duff and Tugay).

Grande

Not about just being attacking goalkeepers. It’s about ones who, when you look at a time of the history of the position, their careers will be points where you think ‘the position/expectation of a goalkeeper changed’ or they define it in some way because of their distinctive style. Schmeichel, Neuer (as overrated as he is) and Ederson in particular, all tick that box imo. Ederson is basically an outfield player who can also play in goal. Never seen anyone with his long kicking ability and accuracy. Neuer was OTT and a risk taker. Schmeichel was proactive too but I’m his own way.
To me, Victor Valdez was the embodiment of that change, but I guess you’re right in that Ederson is representative of a generation of keepers that has taken it a step further.

As long as he keeps up what he showed last time out against United, I won’t complaine either ;)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t normally get into these “best ever” lists as they seem to have no comparable attributes, for example, Schmikes star fish save. However, maybe I am biased but no idea how Alisson is in top 5 best Premier League keepers. He’s only played in 58 games. Surely, proven consistency is a factor..
Given his record since arrivaI don't think it's that outrageous to be honest. Cech was considered amoung the greatest PL keepers within months and rightly so.

He without a doubt deserves a place in the top 10 in my opinion, he is in my opinion just as big a factor towards Liverpool's defensive resurgence than VVD, if not more so.

MikeeMike

schmeichel was aweful when he joined us... took 1/2 season before he adjusted...
Schmikes for 1 on 1.. DDG for shot stopping. VDS for command of box...

Jonno

I agree with an earlier post that Friedel was far better than James. Certainly during his time with us, he was one of the best goalkeepers in the league, and in 2002/2003 I thought he was unquestionably the best Premier League goalkeeper that season bar none (he kept 15 clean sheets, and deservedly won our player of the season award even ahead of players like Duff and Tugay).
Now you say it, Friedel was practically unstoppable for a good 3-4 year stint. He was huge, saved everything.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Now you say it, Friedel was practically unstoppable for a good 3-4 year stint. He was huge, saved everything.
His best and most heroic performance for us was probably when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at Highbury in 2002/2003. Arsenal battered us and peppered shots at our goal, but he was just immense.

I used to laugh when numerous Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. fans that I spoke to thought that he regularly raised his game for us against their clubs, when in-fact he was just an excellent goalkeeper who made had so many incredible performances across the board against so many different clubs big and small, season after season. And he was a free signing as well.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just got around to listening to this too, Friedel and Howard felt like ridiculous omissions... Friedel especially who was just an excellent goalkeeper for many a year.

Alisson is no doubt a very good keeper, but I mean he's had just under two seasons! He could (he won't, but he could) turn to absolute shit after this season for all we know.

diarm

Today MotD are debating who was the best Premier League manager.

Apparently tomorrow they're bringing in Ian Wright and Jermaine Jenas to let us all know where the sun sets.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It seems that VDS is on most lists without a lot of discussion. The very fact that there is no argument confirms the fact that he definitely deserves his place here.
He wasn't actually that good for Fulham, made loads of errors in his first two seasons so pretty much the same as mid table standard keepers like Thomas Sorensen and Paul Robinson.

Can't argue with what he won and the defensive records he played his part in setting at Man. United though.

One I'd actually query would be Jens Lehmann. I thought he was actually dodgy in 03/04 and conceded some soft goals in league and champions league but obviously infront of him was very good and kept chances to a minimum. He had a better season in 05/06 and excellent world cup for Germany but not long after lost his place to Almunia so he had little longevity in premier league and I wouldn't say his peak season was better than some of those who just missed the list.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His best and most heroic performance for us was probably when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at Highbury in 2002/2003. Arsenal battered us and peppered shots at our goal, but he was just immense.

I used to laugh when numerous Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. fans that I spoke to thought that he regularly raised his game for us against their clubs, when in-fact he was just an excellent goalkeeper who made had so many incredible performances across the board against so many different clubs big and small, season after season. And he was a free signing as well.
As I've said before he was solid for us and Spurs (when he was 40) without hitting the match winning heights at Blackburn.

One thing that did annoy me is he seemed to lose any penalty saving ability when he joined us for some reason. Must've faced 15 and he didn't save any in his three seasons. Was highlights of out 2-1 win at Ewood in April 2007 put up yesterday and there he was saving a penalty from Gareth Barry. :lol:

Bit like Cech hardly saving a penalty when he moved to Arsenal.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
My list would go as:

Schmeichel
Cech
VdS
Courtois
De Gea (unforced errors have cost him)
Seaman (suspect to balls over his head)
Lehman
Jasskelainan (over 100 clean sheets playing for the like of Bolton and West Ham)
Friedal
Schwarzer

Honorable mentions
Martyn
Southall - nearly had him in top 10 but his age/ability by the time the league started means he just misses out.
Howard
Lloris
James - gets in for length and to be fair to him, when he wasn't doing something stupid he was a very good shot stopper.

Alisson and Ederson need more years. I mean Alisson has about the equivalent of one season with his injuries, even if I do currently rate him as the best current PL GK.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As I've said before he was solid for us and Spurs (when he was 40) without hitting the match winning heights at Blackburn.

One thing that did annoy me is he seemed to lose any penalty saving ability when he joined us for some reason. Must've faced 15 and he didn't save any in his three seasons. Was highlights of out 2-1 win at Ewood in April 2007 put up yesterday and there he was saving a penalty from Gareth Barry. :lol:

Bit like Cech hardly saving a penalty when he moved to Arsenal.
Cech was never great with penalties for us either, that night in Munich aside. Only 8 or 9 saves in regulation play over 11 season's (I can't remember if Saha's kick was saved by Cech or missed by the Frenchman).
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pet...658/saison_id//wettbewerb_id//plus/1#gehalten

For context Cudicini in the 3 season's before Cech arrived saved 5, he saved one from Henry in the FA Cup which for some reason isn't counted here.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/carlo-cudicini/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/3151

big rons sovereign

Is it just me, but does anyone else find Shearer to be thoroughly unlikeable?

Wright and Lineker both seem like decent blokes, but Shearer just seems like a cnut.
He's bitter, he'd never admit it, but he knows he should've chosen United and could've/should've won the lot.
Instead he chose poorly and won nothing.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He's bitter, he'd never admit it, but he knows he should've chosen United and could've/should've won the lot.
Instead he chose poorly and won nothing.
It's not just that, it's that you can see all of his choices have some sort of edge. I put him high up, because he's my good mate. I put him low down because he scored a lot against Newcastle/played for United etc.