MOTD: Top 10 PL Goalkeepers

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I would say Courtois should be in top 10, ahead of Ederson, James, Given and Lehmann.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
David James should be no where near this list. Howard and Friedel were both better, amongst others not on the list. Courtois should be the one on the list ahead of James.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For what it's worth, their top 10s were:

Shearer:
1. Schmeichel
2. Seaman
3. Cech
4. Van Der Sar
5. Ederson
6. De Gea
7. Lehmann
8. Given
9. James
10. Alison

Wright:
1. Schmeichel
2. Seaman
3. Van Der Sar
4. Cech
5. Ederson
6. Alison
7. De Gea
8. Lehmann
9. James
10. Given

Red Star One

My personal:

1. Schmeichel
2. Cech (he had at least a season when he was comparable to peak Schmeichel, I think people forget how insane good he was early on in that Chelsea team)
3. Seaman
4. Van Der Sar
5. De Gea
6. Courtois
7. Alison
8. Ederson
9. Schmeichel
10. Lehmann

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
5. Ederson
6. De Gea
5. Ederson
6. Alison
7. De Gea
Prats! (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It may be controversial considering the fact that his reputation is at an all-time low, but based solely on PL, De Gea should be at least in top-3. I’d say, 1. Schmeichel 2. Cech 3. De Gea

The main (and thoroughly deserved) criticism of De Gea comes from his relatively poor international career, which shouldn’t count here.

Alisson and Ederson ahead of De Gea :lol:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Has the standard really been so low to justify Calamity James getting a mention? Over the likes of Tim Howard? Anyway, I'd go with...

Schmeichel
Seaman
De Gea
Vds
Cech
Ederson
Allison
Lehman
Given
James

arnie_ni

Disgrace ederson and allison are on that list. May as well have bruno on the midfielders list ffs

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Alisson and Ederson ahead of De Gea :lol:
It's quite appalling and reeks of recency bias, as if he wasn't selected as the PFA Goalkeeper of the Year 5 times in the space of 6 seasons (and wasn't the best or joint-best goalkeeper in the world between Neuer's descent from absolute peak levels and the continued rise of Ter Stegen / Oblak). Either that or they are deliberately under-ranking De Gea to appear neutral and not swivel the top end completely in the favor of United's goalkeepers. Like you, I'd place him in the Top 3, at worst — and the Top 5 should be a lock as well (with only minor variance regarding the precise ranking of players even if we account for a bit of subjectivity/favoritism)...

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Petr Čech
3. David de Gea
4. David Seaman
5. Edwin van der Sar

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
James would have struggled to get into the top ten keepers in the league in any individual season he played, let alone an all-time list :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
  1. David De Gea
  2. Peter Schmeichel
  3. Petr Cech
  4. David Seaman
  5. Edwin van der Sar
  6. Thibaut Courtois
  7. Nigel Martyn
  8. Hugo Lloris
  9. Alisson Becker
  10. Ederson

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea was in the PL team of the year when we won the title in 12-13 and his form didn't become an issue again until the 18-19 season. That's six seasons as the best goalkeeper in the league during which he won the PL, made the PL team of the year five times and won our POTY award four times.

Meanwhile Alison has been in the league for less than two seasons, has yet to win the league, wasn't the best GK in the league during his one full season and has already missed nine full PL games in his second.

I know this list comes at an inopportune time for DDG given both Shearer and Wright said he would have featured higher 12 months ago but even still, come on.

Nickosaur

Think my top 5 would be Schmeichel, Cech, DDG, Seaman, VDS.

But it's a fecking arbitrary list. David James is an embarrasing inclusion, and Allisson can't be in the discussion after one and a half seasons. And Joe Hart deserves to be in the discussion over Ederson.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
My personal:

1. Schmeichel
2. Cech (he had at least a season when he was comparable to peak Schmeichel, I think people forget how insane good he was early on in that Chelsea team)
3. Seaman
4. Van Der Sar
5. De Gea
6. Courtois
7. Alison
8. Ederson
9. Schmeichel
10. Lehmann
Schmikes so good he made the list twice. :wenger:

edit: wait you mean Kasper :lol:

Last edited:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Think my top 5 would be Schmeichel, Cech, DDG, Seaman, VDS.

But it's a fecking arbitrary list. David James is an embarrasing inclusion, and Allisson can't be in the discussion after one and a half seasons. And Joe Hart deserves to be in the discussion over Ederson.
It does seem arbitary, I agree. Seaman is always on these lists, but does anybody remember seeing him play to a world class standard?

When I was at school in the 90s, the debate over best 'keeper was solely centred on Seaman vs Schemichel. As a United kid, I can remember plenty of great saves Schmeichel made, and how he was a strong character, leader and had fantastic motivation to win. But I don't remember much of David Seaman at all, other than watching England which probably isn't the best example of his talents, especially in 2002. It could just be because I didn't watch as much of Arsenal as a kid, but I would still arbitrarily add Seaman to my top ten list, without even really remembering much about him, but just on reputation alone.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Alisson and Ederson :lol: both have obviously just been included to appease the masses (as if Liverpool needed any more fawning over from the media).

Biased as it may be the top 5 should easily contain Schmeichel, Van der Sar and De Gea.
  1. Peter Schmeichel
  2. Petr Cech
  3. David de Gea
  4. Edwin van der Sar
  5. Hugo Lloris
This may also be an incredibly unpopular opinion but Joe Hart was outstanding for a good period of time at Man. City. Far more deserving than Alisson or Ederson. Courtois deserves a mention too, very good keeper at his best for Chelsea.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
I know he was rubbish later on in his Liverpool career but I'd still put Reina in the top 10 myself.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It does seem arbitary, I agree. Seaman is always on these lists, but does anybody remember seeing him play to a world class standard?

When I was at school in the 90s, the debate over best 'keeper was solely centred on Seaman vs Schemichel. As a United kid, I can remember plenty of great saves Schmeichel made, and how he was a strong character, leader and had fantastic motivation to win. But I don't remember much of David Seaman at all, other than watching England which probably isn't the best example of his talents, especially in 2002. It could just be because I didn't watch as much of Arsenal as a kid, but I would still arbitrarily add Seaman to my top ten list, without even really remembering much about him, but just on reputation alone.
Seaman benefitted from having one of the best back 4s of all time ahead of him, so probably made less saves than a lot on this list. I remember him as more of a VdS: unshowy, assured, made few mistakes, reliable. He was a very solid, consistent keeper for a very long time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe I’m too young to remember properly, but I don’t recall Seaman being all that personally.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Has the standard really been so low to justify Calamity James getting a mention? Over the likes of Tim Howard? Anyway, I'd go with...

Schmeichel
Seaman
De Gea
Vds
Cech
Ederson
Allison
Lehman
Given
James
I think James only gets on the list because he was in his 40s when he packed it in I think.

Righteous Steps

No way should Lloris be put over Alisson in these lists.

Top 5 has to be

Schmeichel
Cech
De Gea
Van Der Saar
Seaman

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dave seaman shouldn't be in the top 2-3.

We've had three better keepers for starters and then you have Cech as well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They put Ederson and Alisson higher than De Gea? How? Based on what? One is nothing special and other has only 2 good seasons in PL.
Ffs....

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Alisson and Ederson :lol: both have obviously just been included to appease the masses (as if Liverpool needed any more fawning over from the media).
No way should Lloris be put over Alisson in these lists.
Interesting contrast of opinions.

In my opinion, Alisson's last 2 years are as good as the peak of any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.

But at the end of the day, he's only had 2 seasons.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Too soon in my view to have Allison and Ederson in there. I’d have Hart in the top 10, his decline has led people to downplay how good he was. From his season at Birmingham where he got in PFA Team of the Year to winning the title at City, he was one of the best in Europe. Didn’t Buffon call him the best at one point? At City he had some shaky spells from 2013 onwards but ultimately remained an asset in the team and had a good season prior to Pep arriving. Since then he’s been genuinely awful which has blinkered assessments of his prime years.

His games in Europe v Barcelona and Dortmund are two of the best goalkeeping performances I’ve witnessed.

As for the top ones I’d have Cech, Schmeichel, de Gea, van Der Sar. Wouldn’t have Lloris or Courtois in a top 10 either.

Righteous Steps

In my opinion, Alisson's last 2 years are as good as the peak of any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.

It is and a lot of these keepers on the list only had 2-3 great seasons anyways, the likes of Schmeichel Van der Saar De Gea and possibly Cech are the only ones who don’t fall into this boat.

Falcow

It's quite appalling and reeks of recency bias, as if he wasn't selected as the PFA Goalkeeper of the Year 5 times in the space of 6 seasons (and wasn't the best or joint-best goalkeeper in the world between Neuer's descent from absolute peak levels and the continued rise of Ter Stegen / Oblak). Either that or they are deliberately under-ranking De Gea to appear neutral and not swivel the top end completely in the favor of United's goalkeepers. Like you, I'd place him in the Top 3, at worst — and the Top 5 should be a lock as well (with only minor variance regarding the precise ranking of players even if we account for a bit of subjectivity/favoritism)...

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Petr Čech
3. David de Gea
4. David Seaman
5. Edwin van der Sar
Great post and when you put it like that there is no arguing over De Gea's place. I think Van der Sar possibly top 3 as well. What a keeper he was. But very little in it I guess between those 5.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I'm just not blown away with Alisson. He's a very good keeper, don't get me wrong, but for me it's a case of Liverpool having their first good keeper since Reina which has lead to his ability being greatly embellished. The Liverpool hype machine is unrivalled, just a few weeks ago their team was being lauded as one of the greatest teams of all time which is something I don't think is even remotely true. Personally, I don't think he's even been the best keeper in the league, discarding de Gea who looks like he may be on the wane, Lloris is for my money the better keeper.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I think James only gets on the list because he was in his 40s when he packed it in I think.
He's in the top five players for most Premier League appearances, and he's made more appearances than any other goalkeeper in the league's history (536 games)

For that reason, he's definitely a 'great' - perhaps not in terms of ability, but in terms of longevity and experience.