Mourinho’s plan for United?

Strelok

This is a sad, sad thread.

Mourinho had no plan? Ole is still usin' it now.

We wudda had a top LB in Sandro. I don't see why we wouldn't have bought AWB. This nonsense abuse Rash bein' sold is just that.

Both Fellaini and Herrera (neither are Jose signings) are better than Scott and Fred is a better player so them still being here would be an improvement

Martial and Pogba would probably be gone but then no manager of any dignity would keep them around anyway.

He wouldn't have got rid of Smalling because that was a stupid thing to do.
And this, Christ on a bike. I'm speechless :lol:

OleTheGreat

Oh God! I just cannot imagine Jose still being here. We would not have got the likes of Wan Bissaka, Williams, Greenwood, Bruno and maybe even Fred playing in the starting XI. The likes of Fellaini, Valencia, Young, Lukaku and Sanchez would still be part of the squad and some even in the starting XI. Pogba would be long gone and we'd be struggling to keep up with Wolves or even Arsenal. Thank heavens for Ole's introduction and keeping faith on him beyond the rough patch from the end of last season to before the 14 match streak. He's a fine coach for now but i think he will improve tactically as he learns more and more about the teams in the premier league and how his boys can tackle them in the games going forward. Nobody can be a technical master before learning about his team in a deep manner and learn their positives and negatives. Jose just has one way of doing things and pushes the lessons on any clubs he's in. I agree it was a good formula for sometime but it's over and the teams are now playing more technically and trying to keep the ball and play positive football. Jose's time in the big leagues is truly over and Spurs are unfortunate to get his services, in fact i would go out of my way to say they did a mistake in sending Pochettino away and hiring Jose. Poch was a wonderful coach and should've been given a little more time. Bye Bye Jose and Good luck to Spurs. I love Ole!

Andersons Dietician

Did he? IIRC he said he wanted CB, nothing on he wanted Maguire.
I had actually seen that television interview as well after he’d been sacked. However I’ve also heard Jose went in to that window saying he didn’t need a CB then with a week left of the window he changed his mind and started causing trouble saying he needed a CB and at that time Leiscter weren’t willing to deal as it didn’t leave them time to get anything done.

So who really knows the truth.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I had actually seen that television interview as well after he’d been sacked. However I’ve also heard Jose went in to that window saying he didn’t need a CB then with a week left of the window he changed his mind and started causing trouble saying he needed a CB and at that time Leiscter weren’t willing to deal as it didn’t leave them time to get anything done.

So who really knows the truth.
Yeah that whole window was a mess. He said something at the start then we were linked with bunch of CBs with everyone saying how they rejected the move to ManUtd. It was just a scatter gun approach, he just wanted any player he could convince to join.

Also sort of how clueless Jose was, he said Lindelof is poor in the air and also he wanted physical defender somehow he signed Lindelof who was his top target as per his mouthpiece (who later changed his story when Lindelof looked out out his depth).

Flexdegea

Yeah that's how I remember too. Duncan castles said Maguire was never wanted by Jose, he wanted Boateng and other experienced CBs.

Quick Google will show you the interview he said it. Was talking to Keane.

Unless you believe Castle talking about Jose over Jose talking about himself

roonster09

Scout
Quick Google will show you the interview he said it. Was talking to Keane.

Unless you believe Castle talking about Jose over Jose talking about himself
Reading few more posts will show you I posted that interview and said he did want him.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
His plan was simple, sign a load of experienced players on mega contracts that he doesn't need to coach much, use them to play pragmatic defensive football that has been successful for him for the last few decades. Then after a couple of years when the players he brought are all ageing but can't be moved on because of the size of their contracts, have a hissy fit and leave so someone else has to pick up the mess.

E-mal

Perisic was never on the table. Had we gone for him we would not have gone after Sanchez, a lesser evil perhaps. Willian was another lessor evil, in fact I think he would have been a good buy, had we paid whatever ridiculous amount, then we have a usable Right Winger, never gone after Sanchez.
Not at the cost of losing Martial, it 'd be a bad deal which ever way.

Strelok

His plan was simple, sign a load of experienced players on mega contracts that he doesn't need to coach much, use them to play pragmatic defensive football that has been successful for him for the last few decades. Then after a couple of years when the players he brought are all ageing but can't be moved on because of the size of their contracts, have a hissy fit and leave so someone else has to pick up the mess.
Pretty much this.

And if he win something big enough, most would blame the inevitable collapse and failure on that "someone else". Said club would take years to recover.

Unfortunately he hasn't won much recently ...

DoomSlayer

Three quotes and no retorts.
I'd make one and destroy your whole case.

Surely if Mourinho had stayed, I can see Marcus becoming fed up of him eventually and leaving, despite being a United fan himself. The best thing for our talented players was when Mourinho left.

SATA

Shudders if Boateng had come here. He would have been another deadwood by now while leeching 250K per week from the club. One Rojo and one Alexis is already enough

ICHM

This.

He buy's 29 year olds and then after 18 months they lose faith in him and down tools.

Long term he was a massive mistake, short term he works for a season. Spurs he will fail at, he picked the wrong club as all the right clubs have had enough of him.

lex talionis

I really, really wished we had never brought in Mourinho. We know about the trophies, but the price of that fleeting success was dismal tactics that were dreadful to watch. The constant whining, the negativity, the dire tactics...what was there to support?

Glad we got rid of this plague. And I, like many others, had high hopes.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It seems like his plan for United succeeded in full:

Win a couple of trophies to add to his own CV > do well enough for the first couple of years to earn a new long-term contract (with media links to other interested teams if necessary) > sign that new contract > then the poison the atmosphere until the club are forced to sack him and pay-out that newly signed contract > move onto the next club.

Worked like a charm.

davidmichael

I’ve always said and always believed there was only one time to get José without it becoming a nuclear situation and that was for José to succeed Sir Alex, at that time we were league champions and a constant in the Champions League so we were very much the biggest draw or most attractive proposition in England for a player.

With the experience we had in Rio, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Rooney and RVP he would have had his dream core of players around late 20’s to early 30’s whilst having Ed Woodward in muppet mode throwing cash around because “we can do things in the market others can only dream of” so José would have had a huge transfer budget.

Also at that time though José has just left Real and was motivated to prove he was still at the very top of the pile as a coach so all that money plus that motivation would have seen us no doubt still win a couple of league titles and a couple of cups before it started to go wrong.

Stretender

This guy should never have been employed by United. Everything was about him not the club

aditya826

[QUOTE="Rish Sawhney, post: 25672301, member: 95114]

Since you're in the mood for some retorts:
1. Mourinho had no plan? Ole is still usin' it now.
Ole's gameplan is absolutely nothing like Mourinho's. Our forward players actually play like forwards instead of wingbacks for one. Even if we defend deep I never really see a 6 across the back with everyone camped inside our penalty area that happened pretty much every game under Mourinho. We're much better building up play - Mourinho's version was just give it to the fullback and hoof it upfield. Even our counter attacks are much more fluid and precise. Basically we've become a very good team under Ole and the last thing we need to work on is breaking down deep defenses and even that we're pretty good at at times we're just not consistent (and who is BTW? Even Liverpool and City struggle to break teams down at times).

2. This nonsense abuse Rash bein' sold is just that.
I refer you to his "Now you see why Lukaku" PC. I've never seen a manager hang a young player in his team out to dry like that basically ever. The only reason Rash might not have been sold is because he's a United fan and he'd have to figure he was gonna outlast Mourinho at the club. And Woodward would absolutely (rightly) veto it. But if you'd offered Mourinho Willian for Rashford he'd absolutely have bitten your hand off.

3. Both Fellaini and Herrera (neither are Jose signings) are better than Scott and Fred is a better player so them still being here would be an improvement
Herrera might be better but Fellaini was everything that was wrong with our club post Fergie. He was a blight on our club and the thought of him getting thrown on everytime we were trailing knowing that we would cease all pretense of actually trying to play football and just start hoofing it towards him made me absolutely hate this club. And the odd goal he scored every 6 months absolutely did not make up for it. Scott and Fred may not be the best, but they can actually pass the ball forward and don't just run it out of play for no reason.

4. Martial and Pogba would probably be gone but then no manager of any dignity would keep them around anyway.
Yes let us throw away two of our best players to satisfy your cult leader. Honestly at this point I'm convinced you're a troll so well done.

[/QUOTE]

1. Ole differs from Mourinho in details
The details of allowing the forwards more freedom while defending in a low block have only made Ole look better than Mourinho on the paper. This nonetheless has been further exaggerated by the fact that Manchester United have been lucky to get the highest number of penalties this season a record for the history books. Yet this miraculous coincidence of consistently being referee's darling has barely improved Manchester United's position in the League table - from 6th last season to 6th this season (as I see the table right now) in a season which has been perhaps the poorest league season in Premier League History. Coupled by the fact that Ole was helped with 150 million pound investment in the defense which Mourinho was sacked for. The fact that the only argument Olestans have is to have some belief in some kind of future utopia where Ole will finally master how to coach to open deep blocks feels some kind of a Ponzi scheme more, a reasonable leap of faith less. Ole is actually very poor as a counter-attacking coach. To think that a manager who has won 8 league titles in 4 of the best leagues in the world is tactically deficient & inferior than a manager who has relegated Cardiff and managed in a league called "Tippeligaen" for the most part is absurd and delusional.

2. Mourinho can't sell players which I think are unsellable.
Manchester United fans and board suffer from this pandemic called "back-seat driving" where they seem to think they are better adjudicators of football players than a manager's expertise. Even if Mourinho had sold Rashford it'd have brought us a league title with Willain, this isn't a rocket science.

3. Fellaini was a winner
He may have scored barely 20 goals but all his goals were worth its weight in gold. They were important games where he won us important Cups or either qualified us for the next stage in the Champions League. Win at all costs doesn't care about your taste in a football player.

4. Martial and Pogba
Same as 2nd. Also the fact that players are subservient to the club, and therefore by extension to the manager managing the club. Managers can't or rather shouldn't leave because the board thinks "X players" are untouchable. That is the shortest and quickest way to destroy the club giving players and their greedy agents absolute power to run the club. (read rinse the club dry and fill their pockets).

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
The details of allowing the forwards more freedom while defending in a low block have only made Ole look better than Mourinho on the paper. This nonetheless has been further exaggerated by the fact that Manchester United have been lucky to get the highest number of penalties this season a record for the history books. Yet this miraculous coincidence of consistently being referee's darling
:lol: Can some Modmins please look into these WUMish posts.

Sounds like LUHG

roonster09

Scout
Before it gets ugly, you guys should fix the quoting thing. Its all over the place.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You guys waste so much time and energy obsessing over the past.
I've seen you make some comments like this in the past. Like in the Ravel Morrison thread.

If it bothers you that United fans want to talk about their history on a United forum, just don't look.

roonster09

Scout
I've seen you make some comments like this in the past. Like in the Ravel Morrison thread.

If it bothers you that United fans want to talk about their history on a United forum, just don't look.
But who will tell us to stop obsessing about Ex Manutd players and managers.

Rish Sawhney

1. Ole differs from Mourinho in details
The details of allowing the forwards more freedom while defending in a low block have only made Ole look better than Mourinho on the paper. This nonetheless has been further exaggerated by the fact that Manchester United have been lucky to get the highest number of penalties this season a record for the history books. Yet this miraculous coincidence of consistently being referee's darling has barely improved Manchester United's position in the League table - from 6th last season to 6th this season (as I see the table right now) in a season which has been perhaps the poorest league season in Premier League History. Coupled by the fact that Ole was helped with 150 million pound investment in the defense which Mourinho was sacked for. The fact that the only argument Olestans have is to have some belief in some kind of future utopia where Ole will finally master how to coach to open deep blocks feels some kind of a Ponzi scheme more, a reasonable leap of faith less. Ole is actually very poor as a counter-attacking coach. To think that a manager who has won 8 league titles in 4 of the best leagues in the world is tactically deficient & inferior than a manager who has relegated Cardiff and managed in a league called "Tippeligaen" for the most part is absurd and delusional.

2. Mourinho can't sell players which I think are unsellable.
Manchester United fans and board suffer from this pandemic called "back-seat driving" where they seem to think they are better adjudicators of football players than a manager's expertise. Even if Mourinho had sold Rashford it'd have brought us a league title with Willain, this isn't a rocket science.

3. Fellaini was a winner
He may have scored barely 20 goals but all his goals were worth its weight in gold. They were important games where he won us important Cups or either qualified us for the next stage in the Champions League. Win at all costs doesn't care about your taste in a football player.

4. Martial and Pogba
Same as 2nd. Also the fact that players are subservient to the club, and therefore by extension to the manager managing the club. Managers can't or rather shouldn't leave because the board thinks "X players" are untouchable. That is the shortest and quickest way to destroy the club giving players and their greedy agents absolute power to run the club. (read rinse the club dry and fill their pockets).
So which of the penalties we got was not a penalty?

This is an absolutely asanine post where the only logic seems to be “people who’ve been successful before will continue being successful and people who haven’t been successful yet will never be successful”.

FellIni a winner? Oh I guess I must have forgotten all the league titles he won for us then. We completely stopped even trying to play football whenever he came on. Are you actually disputing that? And what about all the games we didn’t win specifically because we had an immobile tree in our midfield? Do those not count in you “proven winner” designation?

Regarding Rashford and Willian - there’s absolutely no way Willian in place of Rashford would have won us a league title. And even if that could be true if you’re seriously ok with the idea of letting Rashford go for a 30 year old Willian I think you’re genuinely not a United fan but a troll.

PS: If Ole’s a poor counter attacking coach then you must think Mourinho was absolutely dreadful because we look much more threatening now than we ever did under him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His last season at United was the lowest point I have had supporting United. He single-handedly splitted up the fan base, players within the team, fans and players, and the fans and the club.

tenpoless

I think it was mostly drill siege mentality into each and every part of this club. It was always about us vs the rest. This wasn't a healthy approach anymore and the players didn't buy it. It became 'me' vs the rest for Jose.

He wanted warriors on the pitch like he had in the past. He had a few here in Fellaini, Young, Herrera etc.
They weren't warriors! one is tall and has strong elbows. The other doesn't mind to play dirty(diving) and is supportive of Jose. That's all.
It's like when you have to pick soldier candidates from a group of men. You would choose the ones who like you because They won't argue back, and of course another one who is a tall, massive bastard because He's strong. But I don't think Jose would've signed them and his love for them seemed artificial.

Last edited:

midnightmare

WIllian would have brought us a league title. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

alexthelion

This is a sad, sad thread.

Mourinho had no plan? Ole is still usin' it now.

We wudda had a top LB in Sandro. I don't see why we wouldn't have bought AWB. This nonsense abuse Rash bein' sold is just that.

Both Fellaini and Herrera (neither are Jose signings) are better than Scott and Fred is a better player so them still being here would be an improvement

Martial and Pogba would probably be gone but then no manager of any dignity would keep them around anyway.

He wouldn't have got rid of Smalling because that was a stupid thing to do.
This is a sad, sad post.

Sarcasm surely?

MattofManchester

It's always important to hold a balanced view.
Mourinho's first season went really well, arguably. We had to fix the dogshit squad that we were left with from Van Gaal era and he set about doing that.
Pogba is still here, Zlatan did the job in that first season and Mkhitaryan was seen as a good signing but the guy literally fell off a cliff.

Second season, Lukaku was brought in. People seem to forget he was and is a top class forward when he's not packing on weight as if he's contending for Fatman of the week challenge.
I know people complained about Young, but in all honesty he still offered more than Shaw does going forward(he holds his fecking width at least ffs). In such a defensive team, it was necessary.

We finished 2nd with 81 points, and we probably could have mounted a title challenge if City weren't so damn good. CL was terrible though. Time and time again, players looked disinterested.

Then third season was a shambles. No signings of value, no real understanding of what we were doing on the pitch. Mourinho immediately criticizing the board and everything in between. He even said himself afterwards in a roundabout way that he'd basically stopped caring. I think the loss of Zlatan and Rui Faria meant the support he had dwindled significantly.
If he got what he wanted player wise, we'd probably still be sitting here with Maguire for 20m less and idk who else.

But it's done now, and now we have Ole. But it still bewilders me that our managers constantly need to perform this balancing act of "keeping players happy" in order for them to play well. It's ludicrous, actually that it seems players, who are paid to perform their duties, extravagantly so, have to be mollycoddled or they won't perform. But it seems that Ole is trying to shift the players in the club and bring in players who will perform irrespective, so the outcome in the end, I guess was a good one.

Bwuk

I’ve always said and always believed there was only one time to get José without it becoming a nuclear situation and that was for José to succeed Sir Alex, at that time we were league champions and a constant in the Champions League so we were very much the biggest draw or most attractive proposition in England for a player.

With the experience we had in Rio, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Rooney and RVP he would have had his dream core of players around late 20’s to early 30’s whilst having Ed Woodward in muppet mode throwing cash around because “we can do things in the market others can only dream of” so José would have had a huge transfer budget.

Also at that time though José has just left Real and was motivated to prove he was still at the very top of the pile as a coach so all that money plus that motivation would have seen us no doubt still win a couple of league titles and a couple of cups before it started to go wrong.
Agreed. We would of probably walked the league for a year or two before everyone needed replaced.

His second season was good but the players never really looked happy and the 3rd was a disaster from pre season onwards.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
It's funny how names of certain players are called for in comparison between Mourinho and Guardiola. I mean, saying things like Willian, Perisic and certain others would help close the gap on Manchester City... crazy to even suggest that. Guardiola is simply much better manager than Mourinho, infact so much better that it's not even a fair comparison. Klopp has largely managed to pip Guardiola with far less spending, having played two of the best seasons for Liverpool in the league in history and also winning one Champions League in process.

Mourinho is never going back to big club again, and rightfully so. He isn't stupid man, but his stubborn insistence on his anti-football principles surely must be so deeply rooted in him that he can't change it. It is his football identity.

Ten days ago, Tottenham have nearly beaten us, but in a game which was with no doubt a clear indictment what direction they are going into. And also, there was a clear direction of a way in which United are going. That said, I surely would be ten times more pissed off if I was Tottenham fan. And even if Solskjaer doesn't manage this rebuild job completely and fails in the end, what he's managed to do has helped club much more then what Mourinho has done.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

He chooses what he thinks is a quick route to success every time and doesnt trust himself enough.

The summer we signed Matic, all summer long Fabinho was linked to us and ends up at Liverpool surprisingly. We now need to replace Matic whilst Fabinho is just entering his prime.

Tiber

It involved getting rid of the likes of Pogba and Martial and signing players like Willian and Boateng.

I for one am just glad that Woodward stooped him implementing his schemes and (eventually) purged his Toxicity from the club. I only regret that he wasn't fired sooner.