Mourinho: “Bruno had 20 penalties to score”

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Top tip cnut: if your forwards spend more in the opposition half than their own half, they might get a few more penalties too.,
100%

Penalties are given when the opposition's defense has no other way to stop a goal than foul. If United got awarded a lot of penalties, that kinda means our forwards were fast and unstoppable and the opposition chose to use extreme measures to stop us. So yeah - our forwards are that good, and then what, Mr. Mourinho?

meamth

Ask and you shall receive Mrs Pochettino
The most annoying part about reading the comments, "Our players are soft".

Playing for a penalty is a part of the game, you know. It's the dirty part of attackers job, and well played if it comes to fruition.

Denis' cuff

I wonder how many people know which teams won the most pens last season, or the one before etc.

its probably more telling that in spite of our dominance since the inception of the PL, we are nowhere near the top beneficiaries. Doesn’t take a genius to guess who is, though.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
A lot of team have much more technical attackers and better attacking philosophy than us and they don’t get as much penalties.
Yup. Manchester City only got 4 penalties in 2018/2019 season.
They got 100 points and 100 goals.
They full of midgets , fast, technical players.

Strelok

They lack the speed that we do.
No I don't think so. City and Liverpool attackers are definitely fast. It's actually an interesting question which I have no answer. Maybe it's because our players try to dribble into the box more ?

Amarsdd

A lot of team have much more technical attackers and better attacking philosophy than us and they don’t get as much penalties.
Yup. Manchester City only got 4 penalties in 2018/2019 season.
They got 100 points and 100 goals.
They full of midgets , fast, technical players.
With VAR this season, City have 11 penalties in the league just 3 less than us. Its just not because of technical players, it's the directness of the attackers as well. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James, Bruno are much more direct than any of City's attacker expect Mahrez.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...lt-uefa-europa-league-fernandes-a9664226.html

I see the ABU media are out in full force and will be doing their best to reverse the trend of Utd getting penalties. Referees will soon start getting influenced and not giving them for us.
That article goes into detail about why you got more penalties awarded than any team ever. It's not an "ABU" thing at all, it explains why you deserved them!

If Solskjaer has stressed one thing during his 18 months in charge, it is the importance of passing and moving quickly. Watching United’s 21 penalties back, it is startling how soon they happen once the player enters the box, usually after a successful one-two, through ball or dribble. Many of the 21 penalties appear to come when the opposition defence is suddenly stretched and overloaded. Only three have been given for handball.

If this is a tactic that Solskjaer has deliberately employed, it is working. His preferred style of play may just be well-suited to win penalties. It is worth nothing that – while nowhere near as effective as this season – United were awarded a total of 15 spot-kicks in all competitions during the 2018-19 season, split between Mourinho and Solskjaer as manager. The majority of them – nine, to be precise – came on Solskjaer’s watch.

Grande

That article goes into detail about why you got more penalties awarded than any team ever. It's not an "ABU" thing at all, it explains why you deserved them!

If Solskjaer has stressed one thing during his 18 months in charge, it is the importance of passing and moving quickly. Watching United’s 21 penalties back, it is startling how soon they happen once the player enters the box, usually after a successful one-two, through ball or dribble. Many of the 21 penalties appear to come when the opposition defence is suddenly stretched and overloaded. Only three have been given for handball.

If this is a tactic that Solskjaer has deliberately employed, it is working. His preferred style of play may just be well-suited to win penalties. It is worth nothing that – while nowhere near as effective as this season – United were awarded a total of 15 spot-kicks in all competitions during the 2018-19 season, split between Mourinho and Solskjaer as manager. The majority of them – nine, to be precise – came on Solskjaer’s watch.
Typical ABU - they always hate quick passing and moving!

Black text.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yesterday surely not a foul on Martial, barely any contact and goes down incredibly easily. If that is a foul, should be a penalty given at pretty much every corner if defender touches attacker and they go down.

Fully expected the ref to view it on VAR, rescind it and maybe a yellow for Martial.

Guess UEFA catching up with the PL and La liga in the use of VAR...

GledTheRed

BT sport going on about Bruno not doing a skip as the goalkeeper would have known blah blah blah.

He's been varying his pens since the restart you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime!

Strelok

Thankfully VAR doesnt get influenced. We will be fine. Gone are the days of us getting screwed over by referees, in that department at least.
Yeah VAR will definitely benefit the attacking teams.

I don't really like VAR especially the offside check and goals check sometime, it kills the joy. But well, teams who like a defensive approach will find it much more difficult. The ones who let the ball worked more into their box would be more likely to concede a penalty.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yesterday surely not a foul on Martial, barely any contact and goes down incredibly easily. If that is a foul, should be a penalty given at pretty much every corner if defender touches attacker and they go down.

Fully expected the ref to view it on VAR, rescind it and maybe a yellow for Martial.

Guess UEFA catching up with the PL and La liga in the use of VAR...
How do you rescind a penalty that happened in a game that's already over and done with?

I do think it was a dive as well though, but nothing will be done about it IMO because it's not glaring and defender had his arm on Martial, who milked the crap out of it.

Red00012

The coverage last night of penalty decisions / VAR decisions was rubbish.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
How do you rescind a penalty that happened in a game that's already over and done with?

I do think it was a dive as well though, but nothing will be done about it IMO because it's not glaring and defender had his arm on Martial, who milked the crap out of it.
I meant during the game, same as happened with Inter penalty.

Referee viewed it again and changed his mind.

Surely if the referee looks at it again in Utd game will also cancel the penalty.

Northstand

I wonder how many people know which teams won the most pens last season, or the one before etc.

its probably more telling that in spite of our dominance since the inception of the PL, we are nowhere near the top beneficiaries. Doesn’t take a genius to guess who is, though.
Spot on mate.

cyberman

I meant during the game, same as happened with Inter penalty.

Referee viewed it again and changed his mind.

Surely if the referee looks at it again in Utd game will also cancel the penalty.
VAR still has to clarify if its clear and obvious. Refs only go and check when theyre told theyre wrong so they can see for themselves.

Davie Moyes

Yes, TBF it does go into detail but the purpose of the article and the headline is to highlight the amount of the penalties we've been awarded despite them being deserved. No one is going to focus on the details but remember the headlines. Other outlets will also run with the headlines. I can see us being turned down for some blatant penalties soon or next season. Fortunately VAR should help with to this.

It's like Lampard's comments ahead of the semi final seemed to influence the ref into not even giving us obvious fouls/lack of yellows to Chelsea.

MikeeMike

I'm still furious at the horrific tackle by Carragher on Nani at Anfield. Potential leg breaker which went totally unpunished!

1min 55s into the video
Not available in my location . aaargh. thanks though. ✌

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Jorginho does the same camp little skip when taking penalties too, doesn't he? Looks bizarre but seems really effective at fooling the keeper

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Jorginho does the same camp little skip when taking penalties too, doesn't he? Looks bizarre but seems really effective at fooling the keeper
Yeah, watched a video where he explained that the hop is because most keepers move or motion where they are going around about the time they hop so they can place it where they want.

0le

The penalty record this season is only a "thing" because it happened to United. If it happened to any other club, it would be an interesting statistic but would quickly be forgotten.

Born2Lose

I wonder if Mourinho will ever learn that if his teams played more attacking football and committed more players forward then he'd probably get more penalties too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wonder if Mourinho will ever learn that if his teams played more attacking football and committed more players forward then he'd probably get more penalties too.
One of my best friends is a Tottenham fan who keeps giving off about all the penalties we're getting, he's baffled as to why we didn't get as many under Mourinho, I don't think I have the heart to tell him.

Superunknown

Yeah, this part really isn't emphasised enough. We've replaced an attack that contained a slow, lumbering Lukaku, gave Martial a more prominent role, added Greenwood into the mix and have a much more confident looking Rashford, with more forward balls than last season with Pogba and Bruno supplying. I don't really think it's that shocking that we are being fouled more in the box.

It just screams more of shite defending from the other team to me. It seems like the games where we struggle are the games where the opposition sit back and block our shots (like the second half yesterday) rather than lunging in to make last-ditch tackles, which inevitably leads to penalties.

We'll get less next season because more teams will sit back against us, thus cutting out the space behind and meaning that they will be in a better position to block, rather than overreaching to commit to tackles. Will be surprised if we even get a third of what we have this season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

This could have been easily a penalty too.
These sort of situations happens a lot and are rarely given though. The fact that the ball goes out seems to make refs think it's fair to just shoulder barge an attacker.

SuperiorXI

These sort of situations happens a lot and are rarely given though. The fact that the ball goes out seems to make refs think it's fair to just shoulder barge an attacker.
The ball was going out for the Rashford one too. It's a reckless foul in the penalty area so it's a pen 100%.

AshRK

It was a reckless tackle that too inside the box. It could have been easily given.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ball went out as he was fouled before he kicked the ball.